PDA

View Full Version : Official word on Half Price nights

mweflen
10-22-2004, 12:52 PM
Here is my email exchange with my contact in the Sox. I have x'ed out the person's name just to make sure there is no trouble.

Subject: RE: half price nights?
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:38:03 -0500
To: "Matthew Weflen" <>

Matt,

Not true. Their might be some restructuring with the name change
and/or
limitations, but they are not eliminating them. There are also no
cheerleaders. Heard there was a rumor about that too.

xxxxxxxx

---------------------------
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:11:40 -0500
To: "Matthew Weflen" <xxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com>

Matt, I forwarded your e-mail onto our ticket office and will let you knowwhat they said. I never heard anything like that, but am not sure.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 8:58 AM
To: xxxxxxxx Pxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx, I have just herd tell on Sports Radio that the Sox will be eliminating half price mondays and tuesdays. Is this true? Thanks,Matthew Weflen(Acct.#7xxxx)

Iwritecode
10-22-2004, 12:55 PM
Nice to see we ended up with a 4-page thread based on an untrue rumor started on the Score by a Cub fan...

mweflen
10-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Nice to see we ended up with a 4-page thread based on an untrue rumor started on the Score by a Cub fan...Well, hey. The first thing I did upon reading it was email my contact. They got back to me today about it. But I just like grousing about prices :tongue:

DrCrawdad
10-22-2004, 01:11 PM
Nice to see we ended up with a 4-page thread based on an untrue rumor started on the Score by a Cub fan...

I didn't hear the discussion on Murphy's show but no doubt there were a fair share of Cubbie fans using this untrue rumor to issue their usual put-downs of the Sox and Sox fans.

http://www.670thescore.com/graphics/pic_sm_mike_murphy.jpg
"No more half-price Mondays. Now the Sox will draw absolutely no one...Man, ain't I funny?"

pinwheels3530
10-22-2004, 01:16 PM
I didn't hear the discussion on Murphy's show but no doubt there were a fair share of Cubbie fans using this untrue rumor to issue their usual put-downs of the Sox and Sox fans.

http://www.670thescore.com/graphics/pic_sm_mike_murphy.jpg
"No more half-price Mondays. Now the Sox will draw absolutely no one...Man, ain't I funny?"
It was a Score reporter who was covering the Bulls that night that came on the air with the information on the half price night promotion, not any fans.......I guess we will just have to wait and see.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-22-2004, 01:31 PM
Well, there you go. You get your news from a media troll, and you get burned. Why do people listen to these ****ing *******s?

We'll change the title of the offending thread. WSI has higher standards than letting the kind of B.S. that passes for "sports talk" be spred to our members.

****ing idiots...

ewokpelts
10-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Well, there you go. You get your news from a media troll, and you get burned. Why do people listen to these ****ing *******s?

We'll change the title of the offending thread. WSI has higher standards than letting the kind of B.S. that passes for "sports talk" be spred to our members.

****ing idiots...George,
While we're on the topic of half price nights, I have to respectfully disagree with you. Discounts, if used wisely, can create casual fans(that dont have any real commitment to the team) that EVENTUALLY become multi-game ticket holders.

When I started going to more than a handful of games(2000-on), I relied HEAVILY on half price nights(yeah, i seat jumped). But I wasnt bitching and moaning that 10 bucks for the udr was too high either. I just preferred going for 5 bucks. In 2001, I signed up for sox 7(heavy on mondays, but cubs/sox and opening day were on it too). 2002, Mostly monday and tuesday games(I work on the weekends since 1998, so I didnt try going to weekend games a lot). And then....2003. I became an idiot...i mean....season ticket holder. I've beena partial plan holder since then(not sure about 2005 yet), and have found almost every way to con jerry for cheep or free tix(loved the 2003 granton books). My all-time record for games attended was 35 in 2003. In 2004, I ended up going to 40(despite thier sucky play, I still honored my "contractual obligation" to goto the games I paid for back in april or july.)

While I agree than the product can be devalued(look at the ud now, with the barricades), if you do it right, you could set the casual fan on the right track.
Gene

mweflen
10-22-2004, 02:30 PM
George,

While I agree than the product can be devalued(look at the ud now, with the barricades), if you do it right, you could set the casual fan on the right track.
Gene
Agreed. The point of a promotion is to put fannies in seats. By that measure, Half Price nights are an unqualified success.

I wonder what my contact meant about 'restrictions' and 'changing names.' I have to assume that this means that mondays will probably become like tuesdays - day of game only, and perhaps a corporate tie-in.

Personally, I would love to see half price Monday thru Thursday, all Day of Game and Corporate sponsored. This would further reduce the "losses" incurred by discounting tickets (which I still dispute, since I feel based on experience the tickets would not have sold otherwise) I can more than deal with bringing a Pepsi can or burger wrapper to the park and happily accept a fine seat in the UD if it means paying $6 instead of $30.

Iwritecode
10-22-2004, 02:38 PM

****ing idiots...

Very nice work PHG. :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-22-2004, 03:45 PM
Agreed. The point of a promotion is to put fannies in seats. By that measure, Half Price nights are an unqualified success.

I wonder what my contact meant about 'restrictions' and 'changing names.' I have to assume that this means that mondays will probably become like tuesdays - day of game only, and perhaps a corporate tie-in.

Personally, I would love to see half price Monday thru Thursday, all Day of Game and Corporate sponsored. This would further reduce the "losses" incurred by discounting tickets (which I still dispute, since I feel based on experience the tickets would not have sold otherwise) I can more than deal with bringing a Pepsi can or burger wrapper to the park and happily accept a fine seat in the UD if it means paying $6 instead of $30.The point of promotions is to put fannies in the seats? Fine. So how do you explain Half-Price Fiasco Night only putting fannies in the seats when the weather is warm and no chance of rain, hmmm? Go ahead and tell the rest of us about the throngs of fans attending Half-Priced Fiasco Night when the wind chill is 30 degrees with a misting rain.

When you're done making a fool of yourself on that one, we'll move on to discussing how much revenue is generated by adding security and closing down beer sales to handle all those over-served and fighting "fans" attending Half-Priced Fiasco Night when it is warm and pleasant.

:kukoo:

There are far better ways to draw fans to the Cell than Half-Priced Fiasco Night. If you had bothered to read what I wrote earlier, we wouldn't need to have this remedial reading post for your benefit.

Ol' No. 2
10-22-2004, 03:57 PM
Nice work. You get a gold star.

http://www.jewelryexpert.com/catalog/graphics/Drusy-Gold-Star-1.gif

mweflen
10-22-2004, 04:34 PM
The point of promotions is to put fannies in the seats? Fine. So how do you explain Half-Price Fiasco Night only putting fannies in the seats when the weather is warm and no chance of rain, hmmm? Go ahead and tell the rest of us about the throngs of fans attending Half-Priced Fiasco Night when the wind chill is 30 degrees with a misting rain.

When you're done making a fool of yourself on that one, we'll move on to discussing how much revenue is generated by adding security and closing down beer sales to handle all those over-served and fighting "fans" attending Half-Priced Fiasco Night when it is warm and pleasant.

:kukoo:

There are far better ways to draw fans to the Cell than Half-Priced Fiasco Night. If you had bothered to read what I wrote earlier, we wouldn't need to have this remedial reading post for your benefit.:dunno:

PHG... did a bee from my bee-keeping business fly up your bonnet? Or the dogs with bees in their mouth that bark and shoot bees at you? I didn't know it wasn't kosher to express an opinion... and frankly I don't see how your criticisms apply to my post.

:prozac

****ing idiots...
Was there some part of this, your only other post in this thread, that had anything to do with game time temperatures, security personnel and beer sales? I guess my remedial reading skills just aren't up to par yet.

JKryl
10-23-2004, 06:22 PM
Shoot, this means that I have to keep buying the overpriced lower deck tickets, or be relegated to upper Siberia again. A pox on all those drunken Cub fans.

soxwon
10-23-2004, 06:26 PM
No cheerleaders damn it!!!

we would be the first and id bet the rest of baseball would follow.

i thought of having cheerleaders 5 years ago.