PDA

View Full Version : Whom are you for?

Viva Magglio
10-21-2004, 11:38 PM
We now know that the St. Louis Cardinals will be taking on the Boston Red Sox for the 2004 World Series Championship. Whom will you be rooting for?

depy48
10-21-2004, 11:39 PM
cardinals

Chrisaway
10-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Go Birds!!!

Viva Magglio
10-21-2004, 11:45 PM
Go Birds!!!
Great sig, Chris!

FarWestChicago
10-21-2004, 11:46 PM
Great sig, Chris!That has to be reduced to less than 50% of it's current size or go...

kittle545feet
10-21-2004, 11:48 PM
Anyone who answers St. Louis Cardinals to the above poll, should never be allowed back on this site. Aren't White Sox fans AL fans? I don't get it. All I know is everytime the NL wins a world series, I gotta take crap from the scrub fans when they say the NL is a better league. Its a shot against AL teams and the Sox.:cuss:

Viva Magglio
10-21-2004, 11:54 PM
Anyone who answers St. Louis Cardinals to the above poll, should never be allowed back on this site. Aren't White Sox fans AL fans? I don't get it. All I know is everytime the NL wins a world series, I gotta take crap from the scrub fans when they say the NL is a better league. Its a shot against AL teams and the Sox.:cuss:That is a lame arugment. How do I know? I used it myself three years ago when I argued that we as "AL Fans" should root for the Yankmees against the Diamondbacks. The overwhelming majority was against me. And, of course, how many of us rooted for NYY against the Marlins after the eternally greatful service the latter provided us in last year's NLCS?

Trust me, fans of the NL Evil Empire will not give you crap if the team they loathe more than any other (including us) wins the World Series. I bet a majority of Cub fans will root for Boston because the believe the identify with them in several ways.

GO REDBIRDS!!!!!!!

Chrisaway
That has to be reduced to less than 50% of it's current size or go...man i'm having no luck with my sigs lately:D:.

FarWestChicago
Anyone who answers St. Louis Cardinals to the above poll, should never be allowed back on this site. Aren't White Sox fans AL fans? I don't get it. All I know is everytime the NL wins a world series, I gotta take crap from the scrub fans when they say the NL is a better league. Its a shot against AL teams and the Sox.:cuss:I answered the Cardinals. It would be problematic if I were never allowed on this site again. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/eek.gif

FarWestChicago
10-21-2004, 11:55 PM
man i'm having no luck with my sigs lately:D:.You are now. It is a nice image. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/cool.gif

SomebodyToldMe
10-21-2004, 11:56 PM
Cards. Do I still need to leave?

Chrisaway
10-21-2004, 11:57 PM
Anyone who answers St. Louis Cardinals to the above poll, should never be allowed back on this site. Aren't White Sox fans AL fans? I don't get it. All I know is everytime the NL wins a world series, I gotta take crap from the scrub fans when they say the NL is a better league. Its a shot against AL teams and the Sox.:cuss: Why would I root for the Wrong Sox when the Cardinals are my 2nd favorite team?

SomebodyToldMe
10-21-2004, 11:58 PM
Why would I root for the Wrong Sox when the Cardinals are my 2nd favorite team?
I hear ya. The Cards are my favorite NL team. And I want to see them win the series this year.

Period.

Viva Magglio
10-21-2004, 11:59 PM
Why would I root for the Wrong Sox when the Cardinals are my 2nd favorite team?
I did a poll a couple of years ago asking the class which NL team was WSI fans' users' favorite. The Cards won in a landslide.

Chrisaway
10-22-2004, 12:00 AM
You are now. It is a nice image. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/cool.gifits my dirty hat collection. The white and blue ones are old giveaways.

Viva Magglio
10-22-2004, 12:27 AM
its my dirty hat collection. The white and blue ones are old giveaways.
Somewhere in my house, I still have that white White Sox cap (second from right). Not to be like Les Grobstein, but I remember the 1988 game they gave that cap away at the old Comiskey Park. I was there. My dad, who worked for Quaker Oats which owns Gatorade, had free tickets to the game and the pregame Bertucci boys' patio area under the old center field scoreboard. It was a Saturday afternoon game against the California Angels. One thing to note was that the game was not on TV because of the "NBC Game of the Week" blackout at that time. The cap giveaway was part of a promotion sponsored by Gatorade (note that Gatorade's logo at that time is sewn on the side of the cap).

What I remember about the game is that the Sox hit three home runs in three at bats. I can't remember who all three were, but I think Darryl Boston was one of them. Also, what I remember more clearly, was that the Angels hit a ball off the left field wall that was ruled a home run by the umpires. It was a blown call by the umpires because the ball definitely hit under the old yellow line atop the LF wall. Jim Fregosi stomed out to argue and was eventually ejected. After Fregosi's ejection, the whole crowd chanted "BULLS**T!!!!" My dad, who by then may have sipped a Miller beer (or two...or three...or...) was among those chanting "BULL..."

kittle545feet
10-22-2004, 12:32 AM
:duck: I am only thirty one but feel like I am eighty one when I read your comments about the Cards. It must be something nobody does anymore. I take crap from cub fans every time the NL wins it all. There is no way I am gonna cheer for two teams from the cubs division. It makes their argument all the better. Can't you just hear them, "we had to deal with the world champion Cards or Astros, thats why we didn't win." No way am i buying into that. GO RED SOX! And for the record, I did cheer for the Yankees last year even though the Marlins made me happier than any other team that year. Its called allegiance to the AL however painful it might be.

Viva Magglio
10-22-2004, 12:36 AM
:duck: I am only thirty one but feel like I am eighty one when I read your comments about the Cards. It must be something nobody does anymore. I take crap from cub fans....
I told you before in this thread, and I'll tell you again. A majority of White Sox fans will root for St. Louis, and a majority of the Evil Empire's fans will root for Boston. If the Cardinals win, only the stupidest of Evil Empire fans will give you crap!

balke
10-22-2004, 12:58 AM
Go Cards, great game. Jimmy E was amazing with that catch. Womack playin through the pain was great too.

I don't see it as AL v. NL. I see it as #3 in thier division Cards, taking the world series over a bunch of chumps in the Cubs and Stros. There is no excuse in that for the Cubs. Cards were underdogs that just plain kicked ass all season. Now they do it minus some pitching arms. They even beat Roger Clemens... unbelievable.

My buddies gf (who is a sox fan) got him tickets to Game 4 WS. Lucky B! He's strictly a card fan/ white sox supporter. Go Cards.

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-22-2004, 01:00 AM
I'm cheering for the cardinals mainly because most of the idiots in this town were saying that the cardinals staff would implode by the All star break. That didn't happen, and now they need to put the icing on the cake by winning it all!

doublem23
10-22-2004, 03:07 AM
Anyone who answers St. Louis Cardinals to the above poll, should never be allowed back on this site. Aren't White Sox fans AL fans? I don't get it. All I know is everytime the NL wins a world series, I gotta take crap from the scrub fans when they say the NL is a better league. Its a shot against AL teams and the Sox.:cuss:Any Cub fan that gives you **** about contending with the soon-to-be World Champion Cardinals needs a punch in the gut. Maybe they could have made a return trip to the NLCS this year had they not run into the Goliath combo that is the New York Mets and Cincinnati Reds in late September. :rolleyes:

Go Cardinals. May the Cubs East not taste the ultimate victory before we do.

pinwheels3530
10-22-2004, 03:38 AM
I would root for the Red Sox, but with all these Cub fans acting like they had something to do with Boston victory over NY I will not root for the Cardinals...Chicago will definitely be divided on this one Sox fans will be rooting for St. Louis while Cub fans will be rooting for Boston.

No matter what happens it should be a great series that will go all 7 games!

DumpJerry
10-22-2004, 07:01 AM
I'm confused. I thought the Flubs were going to win the World Series this year. I read it somewhere.......:?:

SAVVY18
10-22-2004, 09:04 AM
Go Cardinals. What a better way to rub it in the north side ballclubs faces than to have their biggest rivals win the World Series. If Boston wins it, the Red Cubs fans will never shut up. They are already annoying as hell. And do you really think Cub fans will want to bring up that their Bitter rivals won it all, the year they were "supposed" to win it all? If they do, just mention how they choked it away again this year and they will shut up.

SoxFan78
10-22-2004, 09:09 AM
I put my vote in for the Red Sox only because if they win, thats one less curse we have to hear about.

FireReinsdorf
10-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Neither.

I dislike LaRussa and chowderhead teams.

Over By There
10-22-2004, 09:23 AM
I voted Cards because I've always thought that if the White Sox were somehow contracted, the Cards would get my support. So I guess that makes them my second-favorite team. They also have a couple of players that I (and the rest of the world) think are fantastic in Rolen and Pujols.

The only thing that gives me pause is that if the Red Sox win, maybe we could stop hearing so much from and about "the Nation." With apologies to fenway and others, I'm just so sick of it. 1918, boo-frickin-hoo. It's been a year longer for us, fellas. And at least you've been there a few times since 1959. My heart bleeds. :rolleyes:

QueerGirrl
10-22-2004, 09:39 AM
Cards all the way. :D:

MRKARNO
10-22-2004, 09:50 AM
The Red Sox because all this curse bull**** needs to stop and their complaining also needs to stop, even at the expense of one year of obnoxiousness of their celebration.

fquaye149
10-22-2004, 09:50 AM
I put my vote in for the Red Sox only because if they win, thats one less curse we have to hear about.

my thoughts exactly:

all of a sudden dead sox fans will have nothing to talk about.

Yeah I know, it will be a big story if they win...but think about how big a story it will be if they lose...and meanwhile the "curse" talk will go on and on.

like a tetanus booster shot, i'll take a shot in the arm now rather than years and years of lockjaw.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-22-2004, 12:22 PM
IMO the only good reason for voting "Red Sox" is the one you've cited here. I'm totally sick of hearing New England whine whine whine about how deserving, nay... MORE DESERVING they are of winning a world championship.

Hey Boston, blow me!
:cool:

Red Sox fans are only less obnoxious than Lovable Loser fans because only a few of them inhabit our home turf in and around Chicago. Otherwise they are two sides of the same coin. To hell with both of them.

I loooooove the fact that two NL Central teams made it to the NLCS and *neither* of them were the Lovable Losers. Dusty and his brats weren't just also-rans, they were humiliated down the stretch... a third-place team and fading fast.

If the Sox ever left town, I suspect I would become a Cardinals fan. Like Sox Fans, Cards fans don't suffer fools well (e.g. their heated rivalry with the Lovable Losers) and are very focused on winning. Frankly, the only difference between us and them is that Cardinal fans have enjoyed a series of owners focused on winning, too. Meanwhile our owners merely make excuses for never getting over the top. It's no "curse" that makes being a Sox Fan such a pathetic passion.

Go Cardinals! I have no doubt Red Sox fans will continue whining about their "curse" until they win 26 world championships like the Yankees already have. Therefore SCREW 'EM! They can keep right on losing like we do -- except we never even come close to winning it. I'll gladly trade places with these insufferable jerks.

Come on, Red Sox losers. Let's hear about the "Curse of Bob Gibson." That's one of my favorites.
:gulp:

santo=dorf
10-22-2004, 12:33 PM
Anyone who answers St. Louis Cardinals to the above poll, should never be allowed back on this site. Aren't White Sox fans AL fans? I don't get it. All I know is everytime the NL wins a world series, I gotta take crap from the scrub fans when they say the NL is a better league. Its a shot against AL teams and the Sox.:cuss:
:bs: :kukoo:

I root for teams. I don't root for divisions, cities, leagues, countries, or continents when I am watching my sports.

Cubs fans don't want to see their rivals of more than a 100 years win the WS this year. If you hate the Cubs, wouldn't you want the Cards to win? :dunno:

kittle545feet
10-22-2004, 12:34 PM
I told you before in this thread, and I'll tell you again. A majority of White Sox fans will root for St. Louis, and a majority of the Evil Empire's fans will root for Boston. If the Cardinals win, only the stupidest of Evil Empire fans will give you crap! I do not doubt the above quote one bit. In fact, I agree with it. I told YOU before in this thread, and I'll tell YOU again, its not a matter of who the cub fans are going to cheer for. We all know they are idiots and it doesn't surprise me one bit that they believe there is some kind of friendship between the teams fans due to the curse nonsense. Again, most Red Sox fans do not embrace the curse idea and despise cub fans for believing in the curse and revelling in being "lovable losers". I think we disagree there but please know I am not trying to change your mind on that issue. We just disagree. But there was a time when playing in a world series meant you were representing your league and the fans were not resenting the AL for beating the Sox. And the fans used to reflect this. Thats why the all star games were so contested and played so fiercely. The players viewed it as a rivalry and so did the fans. Maybe free agency ruined that aspect of the game? I do not dispute the popularity of the Cards among Sox fans. If, and like i said IF, I had to cheer for a NL team, the Cards are a great choice. But they are in the NL and I am not a NL fan. I don't care who the cub fans cheer for, they are IDIOTS and sorely misinformed. Did you happen to catch what the guy said who presented the NL trophy to the Cards last night? He said, "Now go beat that darn American League." That's exactly what I am talking about!:yup:

Chrisaway
10-22-2004, 12:38 PM
Somewhere in my house, I still have that white White Sox cap (second from right). Not to be like Les Grobstein, but I remember the 1988 game they gave that cap away at the old Comiskey Park. I was there. My dad, who worked for Quaker Oats which owns Gatorade, had free tickets to the game and the pregame Bertucci boys' patio area under the old center field scoreboard. It was a Saturday afternoon game against the California Angels. One thing to note was that the game was not on TV because of the "NBC Game of the Week" blackout at that time. The cap giveaway was part of a promotion sponsored by Gatorade (note that Gatorade's logo at that time is sewn on the side of the cap).

What I remember about the game is that the Sox hit three home runs in three at bats. I can't remember who all three were, but I think Darryl Boston was one of them. Also, what I remember more clearly, was that the Angels hit a ball off the left field wall that was ruled a home run by the umpires. It was a blown call by the umpires because the ball definitely hit under the old yellow line atop the LF wall. Jim Fregosi stomed out to argue and was eventually ejected. After Fregosi's ejection, the whole crowd chanted "BULLS**T!!!!" My dad, who by then may have sipped a Miller beer (or two...or three...or...) was among those chanting "BULL..." Actually the white one says MCI on it and I think I got it in 89 or 90. Dont remember the gane that well though as I was only 9 or 10. The blue one was from Coca Cola and was given to me recently by a friend's dad.

kittle545feet
10-22-2004, 12:40 PM

I root for teams. I don't root for divisions, cities, leagues, countries, or continents when I am watching my sports.

Cubs fans don't want to see their rivals of more than a 100 years win the WS this year. If you hate the Cubs, wouldn't you want the Cards to win? :dunno: I hate the cubs but the fact they were eliminated from the playoffs is good enough for me and plus, the Cards winning changes nothing with cub fans. What makes the White Sox look better and the cubs worse? An AL champ or an NL champ? A Red Sox win makes the NL and the cubs look worse. If the Cards win it makes the NL and the cubs look better. Why is that hard to understand? :kukoo:

RKMeibalane
10-22-2004, 12:40 PM
I will be rooting for the Boston Red Sox, but not soley because I want them to shut the **** up about curses and Babe Ruth. I want to see the Red Sox win the World Series, because once it happens, the Cubs will be all by themselves in the "losers of baseball" realm.

To be perfectly honest, I have never understood why the media and Cubs fans try to associate the Red Sox with the Cubs. I have talked with a number of Red Sox fans during my time, and none of them like the Cubs or identify with their fanbase. So why does the opposite occur? The Red Sox have gone without a championship for eighty six seasons, but they, unlike the Cubs, do not have a history characterized by losing. Some of the most well-rounded and exciting teams in baseball history have come out of Boston. Can the same be said of the Flubs? Uhh... nope!

The constant comparisons made by Cubs fans between their pathetic team and the Red Sox reminds me of a situation I encountered when I was in high school. A large number of my classmates tended to group other people in with them, as a means of avoiding having to face their own insecurities. This is exactly what Cubs fans are doing with the Red Sox. They continue to draw parallels between the two teams (even though none exist), because they cannot bear the thought that their team is the most pathetic franchise in the history of professional sports.

RKMeibalane
10-22-2004, 12:43 PM

Cubs fans don't want to see their rivals of more than a 100 years win the WS this year. If you hate the Cubs, wouldn't you want the Cards to win? :dunno:
The way I see it, either team winning this WS is bad news for the Cubs and their fans. If the Cardinals win, Cubs fans have to deal with the fact that their hated rivals are baseball's best team. If the Red Sox win, the media-created linkage between the Red Sox and Cubs will disappear, and the Cubs will stand alone as the biggest loses in baseball history.

santo=dorf
10-22-2004, 12:46 PM
What makes the White Sox look better? An AL champ or an NL champ? A Red Sox win makes the NL and the cubs look worse. If the Cards win it makes the NL and the cubs look better. Why is that hard to understand? :kukoo:The Sox already play in the worst division in the AL and they couldn't win it. What impact would the Red Sox success have on the Sox's ****ty season?

If the Red Sox win the WS, Cub fans are very happy, and will start talking about how the "true Sox" won. I'm already starting to read it on some message boards.
If the Cards win, Cub fans will be FURIOUS that their Arch-rivals won the World Series, not them.

Understand?

kittle545feet
10-22-2004, 12:47 PM
I will be rooting for the Boston Red Sox, but not soley because I want them to shut the **** up about curses and Babe Ruth. I want to see the Red Sox win the World Series, because once it happens, the Cubs will be all by themselves in the "losers of baseball" realm.

To be perfectly honest, I have never understood why the media and Cubs fans try to associate the Red Sox with the Cubs. I have talked with a number of Red Sox fans during my time, and none of them like the Cubs or identify with their fanbase. So why does the opposite occur? The Red Sox have gone without a championship for eighty six seasons, but they, unlike the Cubs, do not have a history characterized by losing. Some of the most well-rounded and exciting teams in baseball history have come out of Boston. Can the same be said of the Flubs? Uhh... nope!

The constant comparisons made by Cubs fans between their pathetic team and the Red Sox reminds me of a situation I encountered when I was in high school. A large number of my classmates tended to group other people in with them, as a means of avoiding having to face their own insecurities. This is exactly what Cubs fans are doing with the Red Sox. They continue to draw parallels between the two teams (even though none exist), because they cannot bear the thought that their team is the most pathetic franchise in the history of professional sports. AMEN and well said!:supernana:

santo=dorf
10-22-2004, 12:49 PM
and the Cubs will stand alone as the biggest loses in baseball history.
Unfortunately, I think the White Sox will be dragged into that mess, and they'll start categorizing us with the Cubs. :(: :mad:

RKMeibalane
10-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Unfortunately, I think the White Sox will be dragged into that mess, and they'll start categorizing us with the Cubs. :(: :mad:
I doubt it. The White Sox are in afterthought with most media outlets in this country. If the media paid any attention to this franchise, they would have already realized that the White Sox have gone longer without a championship than the Red Sox.

kittle545feet
10-22-2004, 12:54 PM
The Sox already play in the worst division in the AL and they couldn't win it. What impact would the Red Sox success have on the Sox's ****ty season?

If the Red Sox win the WS, Cub fans are very happy, and will start talking about how the "true Sox" won. I'm already starting to read it on some message boards.
If the Cards win, Cub fans will be FURIOUS that their Arch-rivals won the World Series, not them.

Understand? I couldn't disagree more with you. There is no relationship with the cubs and Red Sox fans. Its a myth! Maybe the cubs fans feel it, but the Bostonians don't! The impact is that the world champ came from the same league that the White Sox play in. If the Red Sox win, the White Sox fans could claim, however wrong they might be, that the White Sox could have beaten the Cards as well, something the cubs could not do, because the NL sucks.

balke
10-22-2004, 12:59 PM
I do not dispute the popularity of the Cards among Sox fans. If, and like i said IF, I had to cheer for a NL team, the Cards are a great choice. But they are in the NL and I am not a NL fan. I don't care who the cub fans cheer for, they are IDIOTS and sorely misinformed. Did you happen to catch what the guy said who presented the NL trophy to the Cards last night? He said, "Now go beat that darn American League." That's exactly what I am talking about!:yup:The American League already won the All-Star game. How much reassurance do you need? The Yanks were the #1 team record-wise in the AL. They didn't make it to the World Series. The Cards were the #1 team record wise in the NL, they did make it.

If this were a battle of the #1's, I might more sympathetic towards your argument. But this is just the playoffs, and the weakest team could win by fluke or scheduling, or momentum. I think it's a pretty weak boast to come out of this year saying "Yeah, we finished 2nd in the Central... who's #1 team didn't make it out of the 1st round.... and sure we finished 6th in the league, but the American League won... so the White Sox are better than the cubs". :kukoo:

Go Cards, drive the knife deeper into the blue hearts. I don't give a flying cowpie about my league this year. All I know is that those Boston bar shots irritate the bejeezus out of me

soxfan26
10-22-2004, 01:08 PM
I'm glad that the Red Sox put the Yankees away, but not for any love of Boston.

Here's to a Cardinals sweep! :gulp:

Iwritecode
10-22-2004, 01:16 PM
There is no relationship with the cubs and Red Sox fans. Its a myth! Maybe the cubs fans feel it, but the Bostonians don't!

Well that last sentence is the key phrase here. Cubs fans believe it. They are the idiots we have to put up with.

As far as the theory of rooting for the AL team just because they are in the AL, go ask any Yankee fan who they are rooting for in the WS...

LongLiveFisk
10-22-2004, 01:16 PM
The beauty about this WS for me is that either way, I won't really be disappointed. I liked the Red Sox long before all this comparison crap started with the Cubs and I would like to see the whole 1918 thing go away (Naturally, I'd rather see the 1917 thing go away, but obviously that won't happen this year). Plus I hope I'm not the only one that finds it really amusing that the Cubs fans think they've won something because the Red Sox won. When they wake up from their wet dream (and they have to eventually) they'll come back down to Earth and to the harsh reality that THEY, in fact, still haven't won squat. (hehehehe)

Also, I like St Louis. I cheered for these guys in '85 AND '87 and they lost both times. So to see them win would be nice. It also would irk Cubs fans too, so I guess that might be an added bonus! :wink:

santo=dorf
10-22-2004, 01:22 PM
I couldn't disagree more with you. There is no relationship with the cubs and Red Sox fans. Its a myth! Maybe the cubs fans feel it, but the Bostonians don't! The impact is that the world champ came from the same league that the White Sox play in. If the Red Sox win, the White Sox fans could claim, however wrong they might be, that the White Sox could have beaten the Cards as well, something the cubs could not do, because the NL sucks.
Really?

You should've attended a Sox-Sox game this year at the Cell. It was horrible!

And as for this bull**** about the Sox beating the Cards because the Red Sox did it, all the Cubs have to do is point at our pathetic 2-4 record against the scrubs (who went 8-11 against the Cards.) If we couldn't beat the Cubs or expos or Marlins, what makes you think we could beat the Cards? :kukoo:

Nick@Nite
10-22-2004, 01:26 PM
Unfortunately, I think the White Sox will be dragged into that mess, and they'll start categorizing us with the Cubs. :(: :mad:I thought we were already there.:(: :o:

Iwritecode
10-22-2004, 01:29 PM
I thought we were already there.:(: :o:

Not really. Sox fans are sick and tired of losing.

Cubs fans embrace it and think it makes them "lovable".

santo=dorf
10-22-2004, 01:30 PM
I thought we were already there.:(: :o:
The White Sox get coverage on ESPN? :?:

Nick@Nite
10-22-2004, 01:33 PM
The White Sox get coverage on ESPN? :?:
Yeah... that would be a stretch.

Nick@Nite
10-22-2004, 01:38 PM
I almost forgot. I won't be actively rooting for either team. I'll be watching (for sure). But when asked, my response will simply be that I'm enjoying the National Pastime as it hurtles precariously close to November.

Not to change the subject, but if it goes the distance, I think the WS will spill over past Halloween.

Orta 4-6-3
10-22-2004, 02:30 PM
This is perhaps the toughest time I've ever had deciding who to root for. Being a White Sox fan and an American League fan, I almost always go for the AL team, unless its the Yankees. I still encounter a certain sense of superiority among National League fans, like it's still the '70s, so I usually want to see them lose.

The Red Sox used to be my second favorite AL team, going back to the days of Yaz and Rico. But this creeping affinity between Red Sox fans and Cubs fans is highly disturbing (when did this happen? Does anybody know?), and they seem to be morphing into the same frat boy type. The weekend when the Red Sox played at the Cell confirmed this horrific new development. And with both ESPN and Fox fawning over "Red Sox Nation", and linking the "Curse of the Bambino" with the "Billy Goat Curse" (like White Sox fans haven't suffered? Or, for that matter, Indians fans or Phillies fans? But that is the subject for another thread), I can no longer wish for their success.

I am no fan of "Cardinal Nation" either. But since they are the Cubs' bitterest foes, the idea of them beating the Cubs' alter ego and national media darlings pushes me in the Redbirds' direction. What clinches it is that if the Red Sox win, they will be the third straight wild card team to win the World Series. At the risk of sounding like a fuddy-duddy traditionalist, that's just not right.

But even if the wrong colored Sox do win, that will mean my league is triumphant, and the Cubs are alone in "Cursedom" (the silver lining about no one recognizing our pain). It all adds up to a luke warm cheer for the Cardinals. All I really want is an exciting, well-played seven game series which will serve as a great showcase for baseball.

Chisox353014
10-22-2004, 02:37 PM
First off, I've never understood the whole "root for the team in your league" thing. As an Illinois alum, I should turn around and root for say, Indiana or Iowa if they make the NCAA tournament? Screw that. Heck, I root against Texas Tech now just because Booby Knight is there. Who I root for in any game is based on the two teams playing. (In the case of series like Twins-Yankees I just hope the stadium explodes. :tongue:)
C'mon, this one is a no-brainer. St. Louis - mortal enemy to the Flubs and kindred spirit to White Sox fans....or Boston - Cubs East? The pathetic association between the Flubs and Boston, whether acknowledged by Red Sox fans or not, is enough to make me a Redbird fan this week.

Fenway
10-22-2004, 02:38 PM
Let's Go Red Sox clap clap

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/images/ps/y2004/logo_ws.gif

idseer
10-22-2004, 03:00 PM
i'm really surprised so many people have fallen for the bosox = cubs bull. i would bet bosox would be running away with this poll if not for the _____'s in here who can't tell the difference between the media, who want to attach a cub-like 'curse' to the team, and the actual club itself ... and who rant on and on about how inherently 'bad' boston must be.

either that or there's just an inordinate amout of national league fans in here.

OEO Magglio
10-22-2004, 03:00 PM
I really hope the cards win, I can't stand the blowsox, however I think Boston will win.

santo=dorf
10-22-2004, 03:13 PM
i'm really surprised so many people have fallen for the bosox = cubs bull. i would bet bosox would be running away with this poll if not for the _____'s in here who can't tell the difference between the media, who want to attach a cub-like 'curse' to the team, and the actual club itself ... and who rant on and on about how inherently 'bad' boston must be.

either that or there's just an inordinate amout of national league fans in here.
Maybe you should spend a year in Chicago after what happened last October with the Cubs and Red Sox before calling it "bull." I am convinced more than ever that Boston= AL Cubs after what I saw this baseball season. Did you attend any of the Sox-Sox games last August?

idseer
10-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Maybe you should spend a year in Chicago after what happened last October with the Cubs and Red Sox before calling it "bull." I am convinced more than ever that Boston= AL Cubs after what I saw this baseball season. Did you attend any of the Sox-Sox games last August?since i live over 500 miles away ......no.

pray tell, what did you see? and please don't waste my time with 1 or 2 anecdotes about this or that fan. there isn't a team in existence that doesn't have a-holes amongst their fans.

santo=dorf
10-22-2004, 04:01 PM
pray tell, what did you see? and please don't waste my time with 1 or 2 anecdotes about this or that fan. there isn't a team in existence that doesn't have a-holes amongst their fans.
There was a very large crowd of Red Sox/Cubs fans in attendance. I saw MANY fans that wore with their Cubs or Red Sox hat;
a. Carlos Zambrano Jersey
b. Sammy Sosa "jersey shirt."
c. sammy sosa jersey
d. #5 Boston jersey
e. Kerry Wood jersey
f. Mark Prior jersey.
g. Nomar Garciaparra Cubs "jersey shirt."
The friend of my enemy is an enemy.

I knew you lived in PA, but I didn't know you knew everything about Cubs/Red Sox fans in the Chicago area.

The fans are the single reason why I hate both the Cubs and the Red Sox.

Hangar18
10-22-2004, 04:09 PM
The Enemy of My Enemy is my FRIEND. I have a special place
for the cardinals in my heart, but Ive got to go with the Red Sox ....
Reluctantly. I want them to win so the Media can stop claiming
they have a curse, and acting like theyve never been to the WS since
1918, when we know theyve been to the playoffs numerous times,
including the WS in 1975 and 1986. The Chicago Media Sucks

balke
10-22-2004, 04:09 PM

I can't believe you're falling for the league crap that people are feeding you on this board. I like teams, players, managers, and style of play. Normally, the AL is the power team heading into the world series. I love power, and would probably root for the BOSOX in a Dodgers-BOSOX series, or some other match-up where they were the decisively more powerful/likeable team.

The Cardinals are a power house, with Gold gloves galore. They have pitchers who aren't the aces of the league, but yet they go out and "Pitch tough" to win.
When I look at the BOSOX, I see ManRam, Pedro, Ortiz, and Schilling.

Schilling is likeable, a tough hardnose veteran. He's epic. Good story for Boston that he comes back.

I hate Manram's D, and attitude. Although Ortiz doesn't seem to personally be as bad a guy as MANRAM, I don't like their duo celebrations, lack of defensive ability, and the whole aura they put off. ESPECIALLY Manny. ORtiz unfortunately gets sucked into that IMO. But also, he used to be a Twin... so there's that against his record.

THen Pedro.... a slightly faded legend. I have no interest in rooting for Pedro. He's still a great pitcher, and can give a good 6 innings... but I'll be screamin "Your MOmma!" all the way through the Cards series. He too is arrogant, and somewhat unlikeable.

At least 2 of the 4 have tainted pasts w/ attitude problems. The most I can root for is Foulke Schill and Wakefield. They are likeable players.

But then I can just glance at the Redbirds, and see Edmonds, Rolen, Pujols, Walker. Four of the most likeable, and hardest working players my generation has ever seen. The Cards hardly have a "hired-gun" ace. They have A tough pitching Woody Williams, and one "hired-gun" reliever in Ray King. They have grown as a team, and fought through this ENTIRE season together. They are good because they work as a team, and play all around baseball. The Central team in the playoffs is the team I'm going for. Bigger sluggers than the RedSox, better image.

It'll be a great series. But I definitely look to the Cards as this postseason's "Good guys". I got my silver and black Cards hat ready.

SIDE NOTE: I still respect FENWAY, I'm pullin for you on the side. You're a great sport to stick on the site through the offseason. Good luck, even though I'm rootin for the Cards.

SoxEd
10-22-2004, 04:22 PM
Whilst I appreciate the desire to see Cub fans' noses rubbed in it by having their bitter divisional rivals win the WS, I have to go with the Red Sox.

My cardinal reason (sorry for the bad pun) is that it would finally banjax the 'curse' myth BS, but wouldn't it also break the media's link between the Losers and the Wrong Sox and show stereotypical Cub fans that their 'other' team actually can win it all, whereas their team...

santo=dorf
10-22-2004, 04:30 PM
The Enemy of My Enemy is my FRIEND. I have a special place
for the cardinals in my heart, but Ive got to go with the Red Sox ....
Reluctantly. I want them to win so the Media can stop claiming
they have a curse, and acting like theyve never been to the WS since
1918, when we know theyve been to the playoffs numerous times,
including the WS in 1975 and 1986. The Chicago Media Sucks
Why is the media so important to you? As much as you hate the Cubs, wouldn't you rather see their arch-rival win the biggest prize in baseball than see their "curse-brother" friends win? :?: You know if Boston wins the WS, their fans aren't going to turn on the Scrub fans. They'll start rooting for the scrubs to win a WS so they can enjoy the experience too.

idseer
10-22-2004, 04:41 PM
There was a very large crowd of Red Sox/Cubs fans in attendance. I saw MANY fans that wore with their Cubs or Red Sox hat;
a. Carlos Zambrano Jersey
b. Sammy Sosa "jersey shirt."
c. sammy sosa jersey
d. #5 Boston jersey
e. Kerry Wood jersey
f. Mark Prior jersey.
g. Nomar Garciaparra Cubs "jersey shirt."
The friend of my enemy is an enemy.

I knew you lived in PA, but I didn't know you knew everything about Cubs/Red Sox fans in the Chicago area.

The fans are the single reason why I hate both the Cubs and the Red Sox.
so ... you hate the red sox because they have fans in chicago.

bully for you.

idseer
10-22-2004, 04:44 PM
I can't believe you're falling for the league crap that people are feeding you on this board. I like teams, players, managers, and style of play. Normally, the AL is the power team heading into the world series. I love power, and would probably root for the BOSOX in a Dodgers-BOSOX series, or some other match-up where they were the decisively more powerful/likeable team.

The Cardinals are a power house, with Gold gloves galore. They have pitchers who aren't the aces of the league, but yet they go out and "Pitch tough" to win.
When I look at the BOSOX, I see ManRam, Pedro, Ortiz, and Schilling.

Schilling is likeable, a tough hardnose veteran. He's epic. Good story for Boston that he comes back.

I hate Manram's D, and attitude. Although Ortiz doesn't seem to personally be as bad a guy as MANRAM, I don't like their duo celebrations, lack of defensive ability, and the whole aura they put off. ESPECIALLY Manny. ORtiz unfortunately gets sucked into that IMO. But also, he used to be a Twin... so there's that against his record.

THen Pedro.... a slightly faded legend. I have no interest in rooting for Pedro. He's still a great pitcher, and can give a good 6 innings... but I'll be screamin "Your MOmma!" all the way through the Cards series. He too is arrogant, and somewhat unlikeable.

At least 2 of the 4 have tainted pasts w/ attitude problems. The most I can root for is Foulke Schill and Wakefield. They are likeable players.

But then I can just glance at the Redbirds, and see Edmonds, Rolen, Pujols, Walker. Four of the most likeable, and hardest working players my generation has ever seen. The Cards hardly have a "hired-gun" ace. They have A tough pitching Woody Williams, and one "hired-gun" reliever in Ray King. They have grown as a team, and fought through this ENTIRE season together. They are good because they work as a team, and play all around baseball. The Central team in the playoffs is the team I'm going for. Bigger sluggers than the RedSox, better image.

It'll be a great series. But I definitely look to the Cards as this postseason's "Good guys". I got my silver and black Cards hat ready.

SIDE NOTE: I still respect FENWAY, I'm pullin for you on the side. You're a great sport to stick on the site through the offseason. Good luck, even though I'm rootin for the Cards.
you and i have a different way of looking at it. i am a white sox fan first, al central fan second, american league third (with the exception of the yankees).

you, on the other hand like the national league because you think they're better. will that change if you feel they are inferior? what do you call that again?

i like my way better.

santo=dorf
10-22-2004, 04:54 PM
so ... you hate the red sox because they have fans in chicago.

bully for you.And if you actually read post, you'd noticed that I saw a ton of fans there that were supporting both the Red Sox and Cubs at a WHITE SOX game. I share the same feelings towards the Red Sox nation as I do to scrub fans.

Reading is a skill....:thumbsup:
http://www.girlpower.gov/AdultsWhoCare/images/Otherlogo/nbc.jpg

idseer
10-22-2004, 05:10 PM
And if you actually read post, you'd noticed that I saw a ton of fans there that were supporting both the Red Sox and Cubs at a WHITE SOX game. I share the same feelings towards the Red Sox nation as I do to scrub fans.

Reading is a skill....:thumbsup:
i fail to see how i interpreted anything wrong here. red sox fans supported the red sox at a white sox/red sox game.
what did i miss?

balke
10-22-2004, 05:26 PM
you and i have a different way of looking at it. i am a white sox fan first, al central fan second, american league third (with the exception of the yankees).

you, on the other hand like the national league because you think they're better. will that change if you feel they are inferior? what do you call that again?

i like my way better.
I in no way WHATSOEVER said I liked the Cards (or national league) because they are a better team. That's YOU. If I were arguing who's the better team, I'd give you stats, OBP/ Hr/ SO/ ERA and crap. And I don't have an opinion or care either way as to which league is better. AL won the all-star game, that's good enough for me.

I said I liked the Cardinals because they are the better team, as in playing as a team. That is completely different from what you imply. Inferior/superior has nothing to do with it.

I also argue image of the teams. I like the image and heart of the Cardinals, more than that of the Red Sox (Although the REd Sox did show an awful lot of heart coming back 4 straight games).

The Redbirds have great role models and leaders. The REd sox have legendary pitchers, and a great bullpen. I'm sticking with the Cards. They are a great TEAM. Not "better" as in #'s. Better as in well-rounded, and hard-working. And I like their power, gloves and speed. It's exciting baseball.

To me the Red Sox are a bought team, and should be called the Schilling sox at this point, because his bloody sox got them this far.

White Sox first. Just about everyone but the East, Twinks, or scrubs second.

steff
10-22-2004, 05:30 PM
I'm not really rooting for either. They are both great teams and may the best one win. I barely pay attention to baseball once the Sox are out of it anyway. I've watched this entire postseason via ESPN and SC lights. Even turned down tickets. No real interest.

idseer
10-22-2004, 05:31 PM
I in no way WHATSOEVER said I liked the Cards because they are a better team. That's YOU. If I were arguing who's the better team, I'd give you stats, OBP/ Hr/ SO/ ERA and crap.

I said I liked them because they are the better team, as in playing as a team. That is completely different from what you imply. Inferior/superior has nothing to do with it.

I also argue image of the teams. I like the image and heart of the Cardinals, more than that of the Red Sox (Although the REd Sox did show an awful lot of heart coming back 4 straight games).

The Redbirds have great role models and leaders. The REd sox have legendary pitchers, and a great bullpen. I'm sticking with the Cards. They are a great TEAM. Not "better" as in #'s. Better as in well-rounded, and hard-working. And I like their power, gloves and speed. It's exciting baseball.

To me the Red Sox are a bought team, and should be called the Schilling sox at this point, because his bloody sox got them this far.

White Sox first. Just about everyone but the East, Twinks, or scrubs second.
and if colon had done it for us last year you would not have cared for the team? right.

fact is ... EVERY team is a bought team. it's just a matter of degrees.

santo=dorf
10-22-2004, 05:32 PM
what did i miss?There were fans who were wearing cubs jerseys with boston hats, and people wearing Cubs hats with boston jerseys.
And they were the most obnoxious fans I have ever seen as USCF.

idseer
10-22-2004, 05:34 PM
There were fans who were wearing cubs jerseys with boston hats, and people wearing Cubs hats with boston jerseys.
And they were the most obnoxious fans I have ever seen as USCF.
what makes you think they weren't all just cub fans trying to tick you off?

steff
10-22-2004, 05:36 PM
what makes you think they weren't all just cub fans trying to tick you off?

Oh no you don't... Henry is all the conspiracy theorist this site can take!!! :D:

balke
10-22-2004, 05:39 PM
and if colon had done it for us last year you would not have cared for the team? right.

fact is ... EVERY team is a bought team. it's just a matter of degrees.

Then the red sox are about 30million degrees more of a bought team then the Sox or Cards have ever been. I like mid-market. Not 100 mil + teams (Unless it is the White Sox team). I'm not a Red Sox fan. I am a White Sox fan, I will root for them no matter what they do, or how much they spend, and always have. My secondary interest will shift from year to year, and yes money teams spent is a factor. I hate the East's payroll as a sox fan. Every year those two empires have about a 20mil jump on us, and more than that on the majority of the league.

The fact is, if we fell short with Colon, we wouldn't name a curse after it.

santo=dorf
10-22-2004, 05:42 PM
what makes you think they weren't all just cub fans trying to tick you off?Because I'm loved by everyone in this city.

Red Sox fans love the Cubs.

SO **** "EM!!!

idseer
10-22-2004, 06:00 PM
Then the red sox are about 30million degrees more of a bought team then the Sox or Cards have ever been. I like mid-market. Not 100 mil + teams (Unless it is the White Sox team). I'm not a Red Sox fan. I am a White Sox fan, I will root for them no matter what they do, or how much they spend, and always have. My secondary interest will shift from year to year, and yes money teams spent is a factor. I hate the East's payroll as a sox fan. Every year those two empires have about a 20mil jump on us, and more than that on the majority of the league.

The fact is, if we fell short with Colon, we wouldn't name a curse after it.
you know ... if anything you should LIKE the red sox. they are the only team that is actually trying to compete with steinbrenner. you'd cheer this if it were jr doing it (you so much as admitted that).
you can shift around to the flavor of the day if you like, but i'll stick to my previously stated hierarchy.

and baseball curses are things that need simmering. it takes the media a long time to recognize a curse. the colon era is way too current. besides ... it really doesn't bother me all that much to give a name (curse) to a run of bad fortune. cubs have a goat and red sox have ruth. why begrudge them that?
all i care about is whether the white sox win or not. everything else is waaay down the list.

idseer
10-22-2004, 06:02 PM
Red Sox fans love the Cubs.

SO **** "EM!!!
i really doubt this. if a poll were taken of red sox fans i would bet over 99% couldn't care less about the cubs.

Viva Magglio
10-22-2004, 07:14 PM
Grant DePorter of Harry Caray's is having Cub fan patrons sign a big good luck card to the Red Sox.

Chrisaway
10-22-2004, 07:17 PM
I think Cubs fans ride Red Sox fans jocks but not vice versa. Take my cousin and his borther for example. My cousin=diehard Cubs fan. His brother=Red Sox fan. His brother ripped on the Flubs all year long. At the end of the season my cousin is wearing a Boston hat on poker night alongside his brother. I hate bandwagon jumpers. Go Birds.

idseer
10-22-2004, 07:48 PM
Grant DePorter of Harry Caray's is having Cub fan patrons sign a big good luck card to the Red Sox.
not because they're red sox fans.

batmanZoSo
10-22-2004, 07:57 PM

Then, we'll finally get the national recognition we deserve. :D:

hsnterprize
10-22-2004, 10:13 PM
I put my vote in for the Red Sox only because if they win, thats one less curse we have to hear about.That's why I voted for the Red Sox too. But, before you immediately dismiss my vote, think about this...

First, the Cubs won't have anyone to commiserate with about World Series futility except us White Sox fans, and as we all know...we don't want ANYTHING to do with their "curse" and other marketing crap. Even though the rest of the nation will only see Chicago through Cubbie-blue eyes and feel sorry for the north-siders, there won't be as much of a luster in a Cubs/Red Sox World Series if the Carmines go all the way.

Under normal circumstances, I'd cheer for the Cardinals. Heck...I'd wear Cards' gear to Wrigley Field if I was forced to go there as a fan (remember...as a reporter, I'm supposed to come into the ballpark with an "objective, unbiased" view). And as much as I'd love to see the Flub fans sulk in pity over seeing the Redbirds win, there's something to keep in mind. In the short term, the Cards' winning will break the Cubs' fans hearts, but in the LONG term, the Red Sox win will break the Cubs' fans MYTH for the reasons I said earlier.

The only reason why the Cubs are as popular as they are is because of one simple word...marketing. The marketing of "beautiful Wrigley Field", the marketing of the "Lovable Losers", the marketing of the "Curse of the Billy Goat" have made the north siders one of the most popular teams in sports. However, if their popularity had anything to do with winning over the years like they've been doing over the past couple of seasons, then there would be something to it. Let's face it...even though the Yankees are guilty of the biggest choke in baseball history, they're still the greatest team in sports because of 26 World Series titles...something no other baseball team is even close to. Hey...I know a lot of you hate the Yankees...but you have to respect them. They don't need marketing gimmicks and such to draw people...the number "26" says it all. Anyway, unlike the Yankees, the Cubs haven't earned the right to be as popular as they are. You take away the ballpark, the "curse" hype, and "Cubdom" experience in/outside Wrigley Field, and the Cubs are just like any other team. In fact, it wasn't until the Tribune ownership days started along with an agressive marketing team that the Cubs started making themselves known...even though it was for the WRONG reasons.

It wouldn't dissapoint me if the Cards won the Series. However, we'd still be hearing about the hopes of a media looking for the Cubs/Red Sox to go at it so one of the over-hyped/over-the-top "curses" can finally be broken. And yet, in the middle of it all, the White Sox stand waiting to break an 87 year streak of World Series futility without the spotlight, the national attention, and all the stupid "hype" teams like the Cubs simple don't deserve.

Whitesox029
10-22-2004, 10:44 PM
There comes a point where you have to suck it up and pull for the team that you like better based on each team's experiences with the WHITE SOX and not with the Cubs, as the WHITE SOX are your team, presumably. Why would any White Sox fan root for the Red Sox based exclusively on some connection to the Cubs?

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-22-2004, 10:50 PM
how can you guys vote for those...those red DEVILS! EVILLLLLL!

ill shut up, but despite what others were saying i think that most cubs fans ARE red sox fans. i agree with what someone said about vice-versa but the cubs fans def. love the redsox. :angry:

Does it occur to anyone else that most of the cubs fans are cardinals fans? That makes no sense to me because all of the cubs fans i know are like "Yea Cardinals...my team! Boo YEAH!" ***? :?: They take credit for most of the cardinal victories. God i dont understand these cubs fans at all.
White Sox Fans=Support sox White Sox fans=Support anyone who plays cubs. Plain and simple.
Thoughts?

Whitesox029
10-22-2004, 10:57 PM
On a side note, Viva Magglio, I took notice of your effort to be gramatically correct in the title of this thread. :tongue:

1951Campbell
10-22-2004, 11:31 PM
For reasons I'm sure the rest of you are sick of hearing about from me, the Red Sox.

row18
10-22-2004, 11:59 PM
I would like to see Boston win, just to stop the "curse" talk, and for once in my life I can say that the SOX won the WS!

Railsplitter
10-23-2004, 09:44 AM
I pegged the Cards to win it all in September, and I see no reason to change it now.

Fenway
10-23-2004, 11:52 AM
I think the reason many White Sox fans are rooting for St Louis is because they are the Cubs main rival.

Come on people...you are AL fans....

I am still numb over the last week. Just think where Boston was Sunday morning

The Red Sox have laid a brontosaurus egg in the American League Championship Series
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/10/17/even_by_their_standards_this_is_a_new_low/

same writer 4 mornings later

I am trying to digest the fact that I have just seen the greatest team feat in the 101-year history of postseason baseball as we know it. A team that fell behind, three games to none, has come back to win a postseason series. That team is the Boston Red Sox, and the team they have just victimized is the New York Yankees.
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/10/21/story_is_too_good_for_words/

idseer
10-23-2004, 03:15 PM
I think the reason many White Sox fans are rooting for St Louis is because they are the Cubs main rival.

it's kinda like ... in a war, rooting for the enemy in an air battle because you're in the army.
it's really absurd why people are rooting against the red sox.

1. the cards are the enemies of the cubs ... this alone is proof that white sox fans are obsessed with the cubs. they have the need to be fans of whoever the cubs rivals are.
how sad they can't just be fans of the team they love.
2. press coverage of the red sox ... because the local and some national coverage tries to tie the cubs and bosox together based on 'curses'. now there's a real reason to hate the red sox! throw in the fact that some writers from this very website have pounded into impressionable readers heads that it's a bad thing to suggest teams can feel cursed. i really don't know why either as it's apparent the white sox have their own curses. they're called 1919, AND the JR ownership group! only difference is we don't use the word 'curse' ... as if that really means ANYTHING!
3. the cubs (naturally) are rooting for boston ... naturally wsox fans think cubs are bosox fans! why? isn't it obvious they will (just as stupidly) root for anyone playing the cards? throw in the fact they know it irritates wsox fans and i see no surprise here. the sad part is that so many wsox fans fall right into the trap.

i long for the day when sox fans are just that ........... SOX FANS!
i do believe there is enough to talk about without worrying about another team in a different league.

SOXSINCE'70
10-23-2004, 03:30 PM
CARDINALS!!!!!

Just keep the cameras off Cardinal Nation.:redneck :redneck
Some of those people really,really scare me.

kittle545feet
10-23-2004, 03:48 PM
Why is the media so important to you? As much as you hate the Cubs, wouldn't you rather see their arch-rival win the biggest prize in baseball than see their "curse-brother" friends win? :?: You know if Boston wins the WS, their fans aren't going to turn on the Scrub fans. They'll start rooting for the scrubs to win a WS so they can enjoy the experience too. This is the point I have been trying to make. THEY DON'T CARE, THEY DON'T CARE, THEY DON'T CARE! Man, one more time, the Red Sox fans don't like Cub fans and don't care about Cub fans. You have bought into something that is fed by the media here in Chicago and is not true! I don't know what else to say.:?:

kittle545feet
10-23-2004, 03:52 PM
Really?

You should've attended a Sox-Sox game this year at the Cell. It was horrible!

And as for this bull**** about the Sox beating the Cards because the Red Sox did it, all the Cubs have to do is point at our pathetic 2-4 record against the scrubs (who went 8-11 against the Cards.) If we couldn't beat the Cubs or expos or Marlins, what makes you think we could beat the Cards? :kukoo:And yes, there were big jag bag "Red Sox" fans there. But they were Cub fans cheering for the Red Sox. I know what your getting at and I still say the Cub fans are morons and I don't care who they cheer for. Every " bo-sox" fan I talked to was pretty much a cub fannfrom Illinois. The fans that came from Boston to see the game were not bad at all.

santo=dorf
10-23-2004, 03:53 PM
This is the point I have been trying to make. THEY DON'T CARE, THEY DON'T CARE, THEY DON'T CARE! Man, one more time, the Red Sox fans don't like Cub fans and don't care about Cub fans. You have bought into something that is fed by the media here in Chicago and is not true! I don't know what else to say.:?:
Judging from some of the Cubs internet message board, it's seems to be the opposite of what you are saying.

But go ahead and keep thinking that noone believes that some fans of baseball see a connection between the Red Sox and Cubs.:rolleyes:

kittle545feet
10-23-2004, 03:59 PM
There were fans who were wearing cubs jerseys with boston hats, and people wearing Cubs hats with boston jerseys.
And they were the most obnoxious fans I have ever seen as USCF.They were cub fans. We know that. They were obnoxious as usual. Is this a surprise to anyone? So, what your saying is that because of the cub fans in disguise at the Sox games, you do not like the Red Sox? You let the media and a few thousand cub fans stop you from liking the Red Sox? I don't get it.:?:

SomebodyToldMe
10-23-2004, 04:04 PM
Talk all you guys want about us being stupid for rooting for the Cards.

I don't care.

The Cards are my favorite NL team. And it doesn't have anything to do with the cubs.

You know what drew me to them? Not the cubbie hatred, but Big Mac.

During that home run chase when they would actually show Cards games, I pretty much fell in "like" with that team. (I said "fell in 'like'" because I'm in "love" with my White SOX)

So ever since then, I'd follow Cards games whenever I could.

So you can all just keep talkin' your yang.

And this "AL love" thing? I root for the AL in the All-Star game. I root for them more than often in the Series. But this year I'm going for the NL.

You really think Yank fans are putting on Bosox hats and typing "Go Boston!" on their message boards?

Uh huh...

My rant is done.

Foulke You
10-23-2004, 05:34 PM

The Red Sox have laid a brontosaurus egg in the American League Championship Series
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/10/17/even_by_their_standards_this_is_a_new_low/

I am trying to digest the fact that I have just seen the greatest team feat in the 101-year history of postseason baseball as we know it. A team that fell behind, three games to none, has come back to win a postseason series. That team is the Boston Red Sox, and the team they have just victimized is the New York Yankees.
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/10/21/story_is_too_good_for_words/
You've got a Red Sox supporter here Fenway. Honestly, this whole "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" bit with the Cardinals is getting pretty tired. When I went to Busch Stadium in 1997 to see the White Sox play the Cards, I was treated rather rudely by most of the fans around me and even had stuff thrown at me. I know all Cards fans aren't like this but it left an impression on me. I got the overall impression that St Louis fans tend to look at us as just another team from Chicago to hate.

Counteract this with the great experiences I've had at Fenway Park during White Sox vs Red Sox games and there is no comparison. A little East Coast-centrism aside, I was treated very kindly by Red Sox fans and I was impressed at how much they knew their stuff. Baseball smarts automatically make them nothing like Cubs fans. I've been to 6 ChiSox/BoSox games at Fenway and the passion they have as well as their tendency to expect disaster reminds me a lot of White Sox fans as some of you may find hard to believe. Honestly, I wonder if some of you who have made this bizarre Cubs/Red Sox association have ever even been to Boston?

Anyway, I'll be pulling for the Red Sox and the American League all the way this year. Go Carmines. Hopefully, the pale colored Sox can make it as far as the red ones next year.

StepsInSC
10-23-2004, 05:47 PM
Lol ya'll think too much.

"If the Cards win the smart Cubs fans will be pissed off and then the moon and stars will align and the sun will never shine again except on Tuesdays and Friday evenings when Bob Barker isn't wearing white sneakers. But if the Red Sox win then the White Sox will become bigger losers at a percent relative to the tilt of the Earth's axis."

Just pick whichever one your gut is telling ya!

Go Cards!

balke
10-23-2004, 05:53 PM
You've got a Red Sox supporter here Fenway. Honestly, this whole "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" bit with the Cardinals is getting pretty tired. When I went to Busch Stadium in 1997 to see the White Sox play the Cards, I was treated rather rudely by most of the fans around me and even had stuff thrown at me. I know all Cards fans aren't like this but it left an impression on me. I got the overall impression that St Louis fans tend to look at us as just another team from Chicago to hate.

Counteract this with the great experiences I've had at Fenway Park during White Sox vs Red Sox games and there is no comparison. A little East Coast-centrism aside, I was treated very kindly by Red Sox fans and I was impressed at how much they knew their stuff. Baseball smarts automatically make them nothing like Cubs fans. I've been to 6 ChiSox/BoSox games at Fenway and the passion they have as well as their tendency to expect disaster reminds me a lot of White Sox fans as some of you may find hard to believe. Honestly, I wonder if some of you who have made this bizarre Cubs/Red Sox association have ever even been to Boston?

Anyway, I'll be pulling for the Red Sox and the American League all the way this year. Go Carmines. Hopefully, the pale colored Sox can make it as far as the red ones next year.

Yeah there shouldn't be any real valid excuse either way for liking these teams. The league rooting just seems pointless. And, although they do seem like similar teams (BOSOX Flubs) to not root for Boston based on curse rhetoric is pretty pointless as well.

Whatever just happened to rooting for the team you like? I like the Cards. I love thier hitters. I kinda live vicariously, because the White Sox lineup was so good looking before injuries this season.

Boston has a good story going, so if they win it won't be so bad, at least Minnesota didn't get in.

But tonight it's all about Larry Walker (I lived in Colorado during Rockies Inaugural year, and beyond) The 3 MVP's, and all that gold in the outfield. Good luck to both sets of fans. Let's get the drinking started! :gulp:

batmanZoSo
10-23-2004, 10:42 PM
Lol ya'll think too much.

"If the Cards win the smart Cubs fans will be pissed off and then the moon and stars will align and the sun will never shine again except on Tuesdays and Friday evenings when Bob Barker isn't wearing white sneakers. But if the Red Sox win then the White Sox will become bigger losers at a percent relative to the tilt of the Earth's axis."

Just pick whichever one your gut is telling ya!

Go Cards!

BAAAHAHAHAHA
:D:

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-23-2004, 11:08 PM

Fenway, just because we are in the same league doesnt mean we have to root for the red sox. No offense, but i dont like the red sox. And another thing, i dont root for the cardinals because they are the cubs main rival. i root for the cardinals beacuse they are a great team. if they were in a different division i'd still root for them. If they were in the AL i would still root for them. Go Cardinals.

FarWestChicago
10-23-2004, 11:13 PM
It had to be done:

:tomatoaward

PaleHoseGeorge
10-24-2004, 09:32 AM
Ahem...

<steps onto soapbox>

On the subject of Sox Fans, RED SOX fans, and Lovable Loser fans...

1.) In general, Red Sox fans are among the most knowledgable you'll find anywhere about their team and the sport of baseball. They are the polar opposite of Cubs fans in this regard.

2.) In general, Red Sox fans chuckle at or (worse) believe in curses, especially the Curse of the Bambino. They have never called their team "Lovable Losers" but clearly there is a kin relationship between them and Cubs fans in this regard.

3.) Both Red Sox fans and Cubs fans sincerely believe they are the most deserving of a world championship. We Sox Fans can only retort, "Get a life."

4.) Fox Sports and MLB market their Cubs and Red Sox telecasts in similar fashion because of the obvious mass appeal of sappy nonsense. We Sox Fans can only retort, "Wake me up when it's over."

On the subject of Sox Fans, CARDINALS FANS, and Lovable Loser fans...

1.) In general, Cardinals fans are among the most knowledgable you'll find anywhere about their team and the sport of baseball. They are the polar opposite of Cubs fans in this regard.

2.) In general, Cardinals fans laugh at other teams' stupid curses, especially the Curse of the Billy Goat. This month they'll be laughing about the Curse of Bob Gibson. They regard Lovable Loser fans with great disdain and couldn't be more kin with Sox Fans in this regard.

3.) Like any good glutton, Cardinals fans think they deserve a world championship no matter how much success they've already had. Sox Fans cannot relate to this because of our own team's sad history, but we certainly would like to walk a mile in their shoes. "Too much" would never be enough for a true Sox Fan.

And finally,

4.) A certain percentage of Sox Fans think we should all root for the American League team, just like a certain percentage thought we should all root for the American League Central Division team earlier this month.

Sorry folks. I can't turn on and turn off my rooting interests like a faucet. If I hated them before, chances are I'll hate them even more in a month's time. If I get any pleasure from seeing another team win, it's only because I know that ultimately their season will finally end regardless of whether they keep winning or not. Then I can have peace and quiet again with nothing to distract me from my only true rooting interest: figuring out why it never happens for me and my fellow Sox Fans.

<steps off soapbox, waves to the crowd before exiting>

idseer
10-24-2004, 04:49 PM
Sorry folks. I can't turn on and turn off my rooting interests like a faucet. If I hated them before, chances are I'll hate them even more in a month's time. If I get any pleasure from seeing another team win, it's only because I know that ultimately their season will finally end regardless of whether they keep winning or not. Then I can have peace and quiet again with nothing to distract me from my only true rooting interest: figuring out why it never happens for me and my fellow Sox Fans.

<steps off soapbox, waves to the crowd before exiting>
i understand your reasoning. but let me ask you this. when you were in highschool did you root for your highschool football or basketball team?
assuming your team dropped out of your local playoffs at some point, did you tend to root for your local area team that did advance? or because you 'hated' them during regular season you rooted against them and FOR some team 200 miles away? if you teams arch nemesis were in contention for anational championship ... would you still want them to lose it to some team from new mexico or some such?

in any event this is my reasoning for tending to root for my division first and league would be next in line.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-24-2004, 08:27 PM
i understand your reasoning. but let me ask you this. when you were in highschool did you root for your highschool football or basketball team?
assuming your team dropped out of your local playoffs at some point, did you tend to root for your local area team that did advance? or because you 'hated' them during regular season you rooted against them and FOR some team 200 miles away? if you teams arch nemesis were in contention for anational championship ... would you still want them to lose it to some team from new mexico or some such?

in any event this is my reasoning for tending to root for my division first and league would be next in line.True story.

My senior year at Bloom H.S., the boys' basketball team was state ranked. The team's point guard, Raymond McCoy, was consensus all-state and regularly compared to another point guard drawing similar national recruiting interest, St. Joseph's Isiah Thomas.

Bloom won over 30 games in the 1978-79 season. The only school to give them any trouble was H-F. Both conference games were nail biters because H-F was content to sit back in a zone on defense and when they had the ball they simply stood around running the clock. It was effective for keeping the score close since they couldn't care less about scoring or forcing the action.

Bloom won the sectional final (held at West's alma mater, Crete-Monee) in a game where Bloom's 7-foot center, Calvin Cooper, shattered the backboard on a dunk. The game was delayed 45 minutes while they went looking for a new backboard.

Bloom was in the Sweet Sixteen, but back then only the Elite Eight made the trip to Champaign's Assembly Hall where the championship tournament was held. The super-sectional was held in Joliet inside a gymnasium retrofitted from a prison cell block. The opponent was Lockport, coached by Bob Basarich.

Basarich was no dummy. He knew his players couldn't match up with Bloom and he knew the only team to give Bloom trouble had been H-F with their slow down tactics. Lockport got the first two points of the game and then proceeded to sit on the ball. On defense they played a packed-in 1-3-1 zone and never came out of it. The final score was 39-20.

So finally, to answer your question. There is no way in hell I would have rooted for H-F had they ever advanced in the tournament and there was no way in hell I would have rooted for Lockport after they advanced downstate.

**** them. **** the Twins and **** the Red Sox, too.

:cool:

1951Campbell
10-24-2004, 09:39 PM
Ahem...
1.) In general, Red Sox fans are among the most knowledgable you'll find anywhere about their team and the sport of baseball. They are the polar opposite of Cubs fans in this regard.

There's no doubt that Red Sox fans are indeed knowledgable fans. However, I am slightly suspicious of the fans who actually attend games at Fenway.

In my time in Boston, I noticed that there is a very high percentage of people who go to Red Sox games simply because Fenway is "the place to go", or the hot ticket. There are a ton of corporate tickets, a ton of tickets passed out through the universities in Boston (hence lots of academic-types slumming with the "proles"), and tons of cell-phoned, backwards-hat-wearing frat boys just out to impress their dates so they can get some tail later.

The only person I ever saw keeping score was my roommate, who was from Skokie and a Cubs/Braves fan.

I'm just sayin' is all.

:dunno:

mike squires
10-24-2004, 10:44 PM

What I remember about the game is that the Sox hit three home runs in three at bats. I can't remember who all three were, but I think Darryl Boston was one of them. Also, what I remember more clearly, was that the Angels hit a ball off the left field wall that was ruled a home run by the umpires. It was a blown call by the umpires because the ball definitely hit under the old yellow
line atop the LF wall. Jim Fregosi stomed out to argue and was eventually ejected. After Fregosi's ejection, the whole crowd chanted "BULLS**T!!!!" My dad, who by then may have sipped a Miller beer (or two...or three...or...) was among those chanting "BULL..."
I was at that one also Viva. Seems like I remember Fregosi pickingup third base and throwing it during the ejection. That homer cost us the game. The three that hit homers were two by Pasqua and Manrique. Boston struck out to end the game. I think that day started off beautiful and sunny and ended up having a rain delay. Sox eventually lost 15 to 14. Not sure what happened to my hat!!! By the way, if I have to root for someone it would be Boston. One cuase theya re in the AL and two I want them to break the so called curse before the cubs do!!!