PDA

View Full Version : No excuses, I want Beltran

Soxzilla
10-21-2004, 08:09 PM
This kid is a freakin' stud. He just turned a 1 out walk into a run.

He is just plain filthy. And honestly, the way this guy gets jumps and runs at will on these pitchers ...

I think this is guy that needs to teach willie some things.

Could you imagine Harris and Beltran tearing up the basepaths next season?:o:

I can donate 5 dollars to the '200 million dollar Beltran fund' what can you guys do...

santo=dorf
10-21-2004, 09:12 PM
I can donate 5 dollars to the '200 million dollar Beltran fund' what can you guys do...
:reinsy
"oooh. Big spender."

FightingBillini
10-21-2004, 09:54 PM
You know, I agree. While it might take away from other needs, I want him playing for us. He is a special player. Not only one of the best today, but he looks like one of the players that will define this generation. Kids like him dont come around every year. Or even every 10.

Jjav829
10-21-2004, 10:02 PM
This kid is a freakin' stud. He just turned a 1 out walk into a run.

He is just plain filthy. And honestly, the way this guy gets jumps and runs at will on these pitchers ...

I think this is guy that needs to teach willie some things.

Could you imagine Harris and Beltran tearing up the basepaths next season?:o:

I can donate 5 dollars to the '200 million dollar Beltran fund' what can you guys do...:reinsy
"Sounds like a good plan to me. I'll throw in 5 dollars as well."

I know what you mean though. I keep saying to myself that we have bigger needs and that we'd be better off spending the money on several players, but I want Beltran. I'm going to be real disappointed if we don't get him.

California Sox
10-21-2004, 10:40 PM
I know, I'm negative, but how the hell are we going to sign Beltran? His agent is Scott Boras, he's on the record as saying he wants to play for a team that contends every year (read, Yankees). Add to that that the Yankees and Cubs are already in on him (and I would be surprised if the Dodgers are not as well.) These are the biggest revenue streams in the sport. Plus, the only position in our organization that we have depth in is CF, I just don't see it happening. But it would be nice. He was on my fantasy team. He's very very good.

SoxFan76
10-21-2004, 11:09 PM
The Sox contend every year, they just fall short at crunch time. If Beltran really looked at his options, he would see that the White Sox are actually a very good option. They have a good base to build off of, and a good pitching staff that can make the playoffs. We have great fans who really appreciate good baseball, therefore they will really appreciate a player of his caliber.

Enough positive stuff, bottom line is Reinsdorf will still have to pay. How incredibly pathetic is that: we have to worry about our owner actually spending money for good players.

Soxzilla
10-21-2004, 11:16 PM
I doubt we will grab him. The chances are like ... 1 in 1000. But I think he is everything we are looking for, at least, in replacing the loss of maggs.

You could conceivably fit beltran into the line up as our only offensive pick up of the new season (Of course, we need a bench bat or two to replace Borchard and Valentin, as Jose should be gawn and Borchard should be in AAA). But it's like we need to spend much on those positions ... as you already have a bench consisting of Gload (If we don't trade PK, which we should in the case of getting Beltran, trade PK to maybe Baltimore for Julio and an infield bat like Hairston), Timo Perez, Carl Everett and Ben-Jammin Davis. (Sorry if I'm forgetting anyone ...)

And here you have a opening day lineup of this ....

1 - 2B - Harris
2 - CF - Beltran
3 - LF - Lee
4 - DH - Thomas
5 - RF - Rowand
6 - 1B - Gload
7 - 3B - Crede
8 - SS - Uribe
9 - C - Burke

Now what you get with this lineup is a break up of the 2000-2004 'core' that people have been whining about. I think it is a tad risky in terms of production, your putting a lot of pressure on a bunch of relatively unproven guys. But we've already seen ALL of them perform pretty well, or above any expectations we had (with the exception of Harris and Crede).

Not too mention you have some relatively decent depth in terms of infield with the possible Hairston pick up in the proverbial Baltimore trade, and you have outfield depth with both Perez and hopefully a slimer more agile Everett in case Rowand doesn't come out with a bang like he should.

Plus you have Davis and Burke swapping catcher duties, so if one struggles, the other can get the majority of time, while the gets his crap together, I think both have proved they can be competent hitting catchers coming out of the 8 or 9 holes. And both have some above average defense, and I think Ben calls a hell of a game.

And, to defend my placement of Harris as our number 1 hitter, I think he can do the job, as he proved in the beginning of the year. And I think with hitting before Beltran, he is going to see some great pitches to do what he does best ... PULL. And once he gets on base, Harris is going to have easy pickens stealing bases, as the pitcher is going to be more focused on facing the 20 million dollar man.

After all this though, we are a middle of the rotation kind of pitcher and another bullpen reliever from being a contender for something great this next year ... :anon:

Flight #24
10-21-2004, 11:17 PM
How incredibly pathetic is that: we have to worry about our owner actually spending money for good players.
You mean like every other owner outside of the Bronx? Heck - Boston lost out on ARod over $$$$ as well.

SoxFan76
10-21-2004, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I know. But we know how cheap Reinsdorf is compared to other owners. Beltran is a bad example since he will be so highly coveted anyways.

SSN721
10-22-2004, 06:01 AM
I would say 1 in 1000 chance sounds about right, but stranger things have happened. I agree that he is exactly what this team needs.

SOXSINCE'70
10-22-2004, 07:14 AM
Beltran would be nice,but i've got other needs and worries:

1.PITCHING,PITCHING,PITCHING!!!!!!
2.A solid 2nd baseman
3.A solid 3rd baseman
4.A solid SS (Shortstop)
5. A solid Catcher

Before you even think of acquiring Beltran,these issues must be
addressed.And by the examples given of KW on television,this is
going to be a a dismal 2005 and a looooonnnnng,looooooonnnnng,
decade of dismal play for the South Siders.:(: :(: :angry: :angry:

PS-I know i'm not the first to say this.

Flight #24
10-22-2004, 08:46 AM

2.A solid 2nd baseman
3.A solid 3rd baseman
4.A solid SS (Shortstop)
5. A solid Catcher

What example are you referring to?

Justafan
10-22-2004, 09:07 AM

2.A solid 2nd baseman
3.A solid 3rd baseman
4.A solid SS (Shortstop)
5. A solid Catcher

You left out a solid right fielder:?:

Kilroy
10-22-2004, 09:36 AM
Screw Beltran. If the Sox had a 100 million dollar payroll, and we know how big that IF is, 1/5 of that would be going to Beltran. **** that. Players don't win world series, teams do, and having that much money tied up in one guy wouldn't serve the White Sox well at all. 20 mil could fill 2-3 of the Sox glaring needs.

jackbrohamer
10-22-2004, 10:34 AM
Beltran's obviously a great player, but his value will be way over-inflated because he played his best when everyone was watching. There is no way he will pass up a chance to stay in Houston, go to NY or Bos or someplace else to take a low-ball-deferred-payment contract from the Sox.

TDog
10-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Steinbrenner reportedly said after losing to the Red Sox that his offense was in place and that the Yankees would be concentrating on improving the pitching. But I'm not going to speculate about what he'll do.

CLSoxFan
10-23-2004, 09:45 AM
Pitching is the Yankee's big problem, but Beltran will be a real temptation for a team not burdened by budgets. Bernie Williams is finished with the Yankees. He had a nice post-season, but he had a tough year, and the Yanks are looking to upgrade their outfield defensively.

No way in hell the White Sox ever land Beltran. No need to even worry about it. Along with the Yanks, the Cubs are probably going to make a run at him, and they have deeper pockets that the Sox. Today's Cubune reported that the Cubs will decline their 2005 option on Alou. They will also try to trade Sosa, but will have to pay $10M of his salary next year to pull it off. They are making room for Beltran. The Sox don't have that kind wiggle room.

Besides all that, I agree with the others who said the Sox have bigger needs. Beltran would be great, but not if it means it limits their flexibility in the other areas that they need to address.

(Wow, my first post! I suppose I'll always remember the first time...)

Soxzilla
10-23-2004, 11:10 AM
Pitching is the Yankee's big problem, but Beltran will be a real temptation for a team not burdened by budgets. Bernie Williams is finished with the Yankees. He had a nice post-season, but he had a tough year, and the Yanks are looking to upgrade their outfield defensively.

No way in hell the White Sox ever land Beltran. No need to even worry about it. Along with the Yanks, the Cubs are probably going to make a run at him, and they have deeper pockets that the Sox. Today's Cubune reported that the Cubs will decline their 2005 option on Alou. They will also try to trade Sosa, but will have to pay $10M of his salary next year to pull it off. They are making room for Beltran. The Sox don't have that kind wiggle room.

Besides all that, I agree with the others who said the Sox have bigger needs. Beltran would be great, but not if it means it limits their flexibility in the other areas that they need to address.

(Wow, my first post! I suppose I'll always remember the first time...)
Yes, but who wants Scammy? I'm sure the yankees won't sign scammy if they sign Beltran ... because Bernie is going to be here next year, regardless. But if they grab Beltran than Bernie will DH. And I think that the yankmees will want Carlos more than sosa.

And Baltimore will probably go after Magglio, they always love the high risk, high paid, no reward type guys ... so that is one more place that sammy can't go.

I fail to see who would really want that big of a burden.

My biggest fear of competition comes from the dodgers ...

Lip Man 1
10-23-2004, 11:55 AM
"No excuses...I want Beltran"

"No excuses...I want a new owner"

Both have very little chance of taking place.

Lip