PDA

View Full Version : Steinbrenner's Response

Lip Man 1
10-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Seems very gracious about it:

"I congratulate the Boston Red Sox on their great victory. I want to thank our loyal fans for their enormous support. Of course, I am disappointed because I wanted a championship for them and for our city. You can be assured, we will get to work and produce a great team next year."

I have to respect his desire to win. God how I wish the Sox had 50% of that attitude.

Lip

Baby Fisk
10-21-2004, 05:18 PM

"I congratulate the Boston Red Sox on their great victory. I want to thank our loyal fans for their enormous support. Of course, I am disappointed because I wanted a championship for them and for our city. You can be assured, we will get to work and produce a great team next year."

I have to respect his desire to win. God how I wish the Sox had 50% of that attitude.

LipCan you imagine Reinsy emerging from his shadowy lair and making a statement like that?

:KW
"Hey, didn't you get my last e-mail?"

kittle42
10-21-2004, 05:39 PM
:reinsy
"Yes, but I would have to raise ticket prices by 50%."

ja1022
10-21-2004, 05:49 PM
Did I miss something or did Steinbrenner seem a little more reserved, a little more in the background this season (with the exception of that Visa commercial)? Maybe George is mellowing with age. It will be interesting to see the fallout from this series.

California Sox
10-21-2004, 05:50 PM
My prediction: Randy Johnson, Pedro, and Beltran all don the pinstripes. If Giambi is forced to retire, they'll get Delgado and don't be surprised if, in lieu of one of the above pitchers, they make a run at trading Vazquez + cash to get a leftie who may fare better at the Stadium like Mulder or Sabathia. It's like they used to say about Texas football "They don't rebuild, they reload."

flo-B-flo
10-21-2004, 09:52 PM
This from a free lancer in New York. I had forgotten about some of this.:wink: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6300621/

Irishsox1
10-22-2004, 09:30 AM
Steinbrenner should blame the Yankees problems on George Costanza.

MisterB
10-22-2004, 10:03 AM
This from a free lancer in New York. I had forgotten about some of this.:wink: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6300621/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6300621/)Aww. Poor Yankees. :violin:

Iwritecode
10-22-2004, 10:18 AM
If George Steinbrenner is being honest when he says the only thing he wants is for the Yankees to win the World Series, I know how he can achieve that goal: Leave.

That's funny, I've been saying the same thing about another owner for a long time now...

What?

IMO, this writer is way off. This current Yankees team isn't a bunch of stiffs that just barely snuck into the playoffs. Sure they are the first team to blow a 3 games to none lead but the Red Sox played some amazing baseball. Right now I think the Yankees just need a little bit better pitching. And they've got the money to get it too. They'll be back in the ALCS again next year...

TDog
10-22-2004, 10:53 AM

Lip
I think if Reinsdorf had said something like that, you'd be complaining about it.

The AP story I read contrasted this prepared, official Steinbrenner statement with his ungracious remarks after the Yankees lost to the Dodgers after being two games up.

RKMeibalane
10-22-2004, 12:27 PM
As much as I dislike the Yankees, I do respect the fact that they at least make an effort to win every year. For reasons I can't begin to fathom, that doesn't seem to be happening here.

"I want to win, too, but only if I can do it without spending money."

MrRoboto83
10-22-2004, 12:35 PM
This from a free lancer in New York. I had forgotten about some of this.:wink: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6300621/
Aww. Poor Yankees. :violin:

This dude doesn't have a clue, how can you call the Yankee's team a bunch of losers, yes they didn't make the World Series, but come on they did achive 100+ games and another trip to the ALCS. I am not a Yankee Fan, but I can not stand some of these articles by idiots, and here in Chicago we see this crap all the time.

Whitesox029
10-22-2004, 10:53 PM

LipThat's the media-friendly version. Here's the translation:
"****the Boston Red Sox. We still won in 2003. I definitely think our fans should have put together one of those giant pictures of the Babe out of a bunch of pieces and displayed it in the bleachers. I hate it when we don't win and then shove it in everyone else's face by getting the night games in the playoffs for TV every single time. You can be assured, I will fire as many people as it takes to beat their Beantown a**es in 2005. Calzone anyone?"

Soxzilla
10-23-2004, 11:07 AM
I love the guy. If only our owner was committed to winning ....

"What?! I could be wertz ... hahahha, GET IT!"

Fenway
10-23-2004, 11:44 AM
I salute the Yankees for allowing the Boston fans at Yankee Stadium to enjoy their moment. There was no rush by ushers or security to clear the stadium.