PDA

View Full Version : Student dies outside Fenway Park

Fenway
10-21-2004, 03:35 PM
from boston.com
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/File-Based_Image_Resource/bcom_logo_printerfriendly.gifhttp://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/File-Based_Image_Resource/spacer.gif
College student dies after being injured in a crowd following last night's Red Sox game

By Boston.com And Associated Press | October 21, 2004

A 21-year-old Emerson College student has died as a result of injuries sustained during celebrations early this morning on Lansdowne Street after the Red Sox defeated the Yankees. Earlier reports said that the student was hit by a "bean-bag" bullet fired by Boston police as they struggled to control the unruly crowds.

The student had been taken to Brigham and Women's Hospital after being injured on Lansdowne Street, where hundreds of fans had gathered to celebrate the Red Sox victory over the Yankees.

Brigham & Women's Hospital identified the young woman as Victoria Snelgrove of East Bridgewater. The hospital said she died at 12:50 p.m. today.

Boston police launched an immediate, intense investigation in an effort to determine how she was injured and whether the bullet had been fired by an officer.

"One factor that is being investigated is whether her injuries were sustained in any way during crowd control measures," said Suffolk District Attorney spokesman David Procopio. "That has not been confirmed or determined yet. The facts and circumstances of her injuries are the subject of an extremely active investigation at this point."

Sixteen people were reported injured as Boston police had to use what they describe as "less-than-lethal force'' to control rowdy fans.

Globe correspondent Heather Allen reported seeing fans trying to climb the outside wall of the Green Monster on Lansdowne Street near Gate E of Fenway Park.

At about 1:15 a.m. police officers armed with the bean-bag guns entered the crowd and started firing towards the Green Monster to get fans from climbing it, Allen said. She added that people starting running and that she heard some people say a girl was on the ground, there was a lot of blood, and she wasn’t moving.

Mayor Thomas Menino told the news media this morning that he was considering banning the serving of liquor in bars in the Fenway Park area once any World Series game gets underway.

He also said he was considering banning still and television cameras from inside bars in the Fenway Park area during games because he felt they contributed to inciting the crowds, mostly young people. He described what had happened as "'senseless''.

Over a thousand police officers had to be pressed into service to break up the crowds.

Television news reports from the scene showed one SUV on fire, youths throwing waste barrels and others items at buildings and signs. Some fans climbed on roofs and there were reports of fans falling to street after trying to climb up onto Fenway's Green Monster. Others were shown climbing street signs.

WCVB-TV reported that police had estimated between 60,000 and 80,000 people had converged on the Kenmore Square-Fenway Park area and most appeared to be students.

WCVB newscasts showed police with riot gear and dogs working to break up the crowds jamming the streets and sidewalks.

Boston police reported eight arrests in the neighborhood, most for disorderly conduct though one arrest was reported for assault and battery on a police officer. Sixteen people were injured, one seriously, a police spokeswoman said. One of those injured was a police officer, but his injuries were not severe, Beverly Ford said.

Students also gathered on college campuses around the region following the game.

About 5,000 people flooded the Southwest residential hall complex at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst, but their celebration soon turned violent, police said.

UMass Sgt. David White said 29 people were arrested after a small group of began throwing beer cans and flaming toilet paper at police. Not everyone arrested was a student, he said.

One UMass police officer was injured while making an arrest, and was treated and released at Cooley Dickinson Hospital in Northampton, White said.

About 50 people have been arrested at UMass following the past week's championship games, White said.

At UMass-Dartmouth, about 2,000 had to be dispersed by police using stun grenades. Police reportedly made several arrests.

In New Hampshire, police made about 15 arrests on various disorderly conduct charges as crowds got out of hand near Plymouth State University. Plymouth police said crowds swarmed the campus and surrounding neighborhoods after the Red Sox victory.

At the University of Vermont, more than 1,000 people gathered, setting fires, toppling light poles and fences and tipping a van on its side. No injuries were reported, but property damage was extensive, police said.

The Red Sox come-from-behind victory sends them to the World Series for the first time since 1986. The Red Sox haven't won a World Series since 1918, leaving its fans suffering through too many seasons of failure and a few seasons that came tantalizingly close only to collapse in dramatic fashion.

This time, the Yankees were the ones who blew a sure thing a 3-0 series lead, allowing the Red Sox to make history and making fans believe really believe that this is Boston's year.

Fans, stung last October by a devastating defeat in last year's ALCS Game 7 at the hands of the hated Yankees, marveled at Boston's ability to tie the ALCS at three games apiece after dropping the first three games.

''It's something you think about your whole life,'' said Lee Gregory, who watched the telecast on his laptop computer while camped out behind his SUV parked a block from Fenway Park on Yawkey Way.

Gregory, 44, lives in Plano, Texas, but came to Boston to experience the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry up close. He said he became a Red Sox fan while growing up in Toronto in 1967, Boston's ''Impossible Dream'' season that ended in World Series loss to St. Louis.

Lines to enter bars around Fenway Park before the game were 40 deep. Fans craned their necks to peek through the windows of the Cask'N'Flagon bar in the shadows of the Green Monster.

Fans inside and outside the landmark watering hole let out a collective roar when Johnny Damon connected for a grand slam in the second inning. That followed David Ortiz's two-run blast in the first inning. Damon's second homer, a two-run upper deck shot to right, made it 8-1 in the fourth inning.

''I'm still in shock. I can't believe they came back,'' Robert Paliotta, 25, of Cranston, R.I., said as he watched the game with friends. http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/File-Based_Image_Resource/dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/File-Based_Image_Resource/spacer.gif
© Copyright (http://www.boston.com/help/bostoncom_info/copyright) 2004 The New York Times Company

A

Justafan
10-21-2004, 03:38 PM
from boston.com

A 21-year-old Emerson College student has died as a result of injuries sustained during celebrations early this morning on Lansdowne Street after the Red Sox defeated the Yankees. Earlier reports said that the student was hit by a "bean-bag" bullet fired by Boston police as they struggled to control the unruly crowds.
The student had been taken to Brigham and Women's Hospital after being injured on Lansdowne Street, where hundreds of fans had gathered to celebrate the Red Sox victory over the Yankees.That's awful news. No amount of money her family will get from the sure to be filed lawsuit will be enough.:angry:

WinningUgly!
10-21-2004, 03:47 PM
It's really sad that someone had to lose their life, because of the way people behave, following a sporting event. Imagine what Boston would be like after a WS win. It is a ****ing game!

DSpivack
10-21-2004, 03:51 PM
That's awful news. No amount of money his family will get from the sure to be filed lawsuit will be enough.:angry:
Her family?

Justafan
10-21-2004, 03:59 PM
Noted and edited.

DSpivack
10-21-2004, 04:05 PM
That's awful news. No amount of money her family will get from the sure to be filed lawsuit will be enough.:angry:
Words cannot express the grief that her family is going through. What a dumb way to go out.

DumpJerry
10-21-2004, 04:22 PM
Totally senseless. What happened to the stoic New England approach to life?:(:

santo=dorf
10-21-2004, 05:10 PM
I remember reading in Maxim (yes, I read something in there :redface: ) about how some Pats fans were electrocuted when they carried the goal post from the 1986 AFC Championship. They took the post into town and made contact with some electrical wires and I think 6 of them died.:o:

Anyone else remember this?

Paulwny
10-21-2004, 05:39 PM
From Newsday/AP
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Six people were injured by stray bullets shot into the air by revelers during celebrations for the Boston Red Sox winning the American League pennant, police said Thursday.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/wire/sns-ap-bbo-dominican-red-sox-shootings,0,2450552.story?coll=sns-ap-baseball-headlines

DumpJerry
10-22-2004, 06:52 AM
In light of the above news, I would, on behalf of White Sox fans worldwide, thank Uncle Jerry for making sure we are all healthy, safe and alive at the end of each and every season.

This message is not in teal on purpose.

Soxzilla
10-22-2004, 07:32 AM
In light of the above news, I would, on behalf of White Sox fans worldwide, thank Uncle Jerry for making sure we are all healthy, safe and alive at the end of each and every season.

This message is not in teal on purpose.
Unfortunately him and his teams that he put out there definitely chip away at our life expectancy each and every season.

Mine's probably at about 55 right now.:(:

SSN721
10-22-2004, 07:56 AM
Such a sad story. I never understand what drives people to do this after large sporting events. Obviously it draws people who are already violent in nature and gives them free reign for a little while to do what they want. Then the police have to come in to control these idiots. It is unfortunate when innocent people get caught up because the police are forced to react to the most violent members of the mob and then the innocent people are the ones who are punished for it. Just terrible and sad.

Fenway
10-22-2004, 02:34 PM
More details have come out. A sad day for all concerned. However I am furious at both papers in Boston for showing a picture of the student dying on the street.

http://news.bostonherald.com/eLetters/

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=50315

The sequence of events that led to the death of an Emerson College student began when a half-dozen officers on horseback were surrounded by rioting Red Sox fans on Lansdowne Street about 1:30 a.m. yesterday, witnesses said.
By the time armor-clad cops dispersed the crowd of some 3,000 in the shadow of Fenway Park's Green Monster, Victoria Snelgrove, 21, lay fatally injured. She had been struck in the eye by one of a number of pepper balls fired by police to quell unruly fans throwing bottles and bricks.

http://news.bostonherald.com/images/localRegional/frontpage.jpg

QueerGirrl
10-22-2004, 02:44 PM
OMG!!! That's a horrible thing to see. We get these images of death throne at us every day but it still shocks me to see it. :(:

Fenway
10-22-2004, 02:59 PM
Meanwhile the NY POST decides it was the most important story of the day

http://nypost.com/news/nationalnews/30895.htm

http://nypost.com/img/102204front.gif

AnkleSox
10-23-2004, 04:55 AM
As much as a factor that alcohol may have played in this case, I really think it can be more blamed on the carelessness of the police in Boston. The "non-lethal" weapon is not supposed to be shot near anyone's face. The alcohol ban that the mayor's trying to enfoce won't do anything. When it comes to a neighborhood team winning something huge, people will form rowdy mobs whether or not they're drunk. I'm sure anyone here that drinks alot knows that sometimes, when you're with a bunch of people on a day where you have energy, you'd actually be more capable of messin stuff up than you do when you're really drunk.

MiamiSpartan
10-23-2004, 05:49 AM
I don't get this. When championships are won down here, people behave themselves. I was part of the victory celebrations in both 97 and 03, and there were tens of thousands of people all around South Florida having a good time. They were not rioting, looting, etc....

Fenway
10-23-2004, 11:31 AM
The Boston Herald has issued the following statement

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=50469

The Boston Herald yesterday apologized for running explicit photos of an Emerson College student who was killed in the melee that followed the Red Sox' pennant victory.
``Yesterday, we ran two very graphic photos that angered and upset many in our community,'' Editorial Director Ken Chandler said. ``Our aim was to illustrate this terrible tragedy as comprehensively as possible and to prevent a repetition by portraying the harsh reality of what can happen when a crowd acts irresponsibly.
``It was never our intent to disrespect Victoria Snelgrove or her family,'' Chandler said. ``In retrospect, the images of this unusually ugly incident were too graphic. I apologize to the Snelgroves and the community at large.''

CubKilla
10-23-2004, 11:37 AM
As much as a factor that alcohol may have played in this case, I really think it can be more blamed on the carelessness of the police in Boston.
While not deflecting blame from the BPD, who have already issued a statement of culpability, the real blame lies with the jagoff beer-tough's who used alcohol and a Red Sox win as an excuse to riot and attack police. If those jagloads behave themselves, the police are never called in and the pepper spray gun is never used :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

AnkleSox
10-23-2004, 02:27 PM
I guess you're right about that; it really was a third party that caused all the trouble. But as for the girl, her being drunk is not a justifiable reason for what the police did.

Nellie_Fox
10-24-2004, 01:42 AM
I guess you're right about that; it really was a third party that caused all the trouble. But as for the girl, her being drunk is not a justifiable reason for what the police did.And just what did the police do? Use a "less-lethal" alternative. It's a crowd. You know absolutely nothing about where she was or what she was doing when she got hit. She could have been ducked down to get away from the things being thrown around, and a pepper ball shot at the chest of an aggressive rioter missed and hit her. Are you really going to argue that the police should be able to anticipate that a pepper ball (essentially the same thing as a paint ball, but filled with Capsicum powder instead of paint) is going to hit someone in the eye and kill them??? And if so, what should they do? What would you do?

For those who don't know, I was a cop for 25 years, and I now teach law enforcement and public administration at the college level. Do you think we enjoy being dispatched to these kinds of calls? No, but we can't refuse to go. We have to go into a confused, out-of-control, totally unpredictable situation and do the best we can. Then we sit back and get second-guessed by people who have weeks to go over the situation and quietly deliberate the correctness of our decisions.

These things are always "no-win" situations for the police. If they don't react strongly enough, they are blamed for the property damage and injuries that result from the riot. When they do react, they are blamed for the injuries that result from that. You wouldn't try to stop that situation for a million dollars, but you expect cops to do it for a whole lot less while you reserve the right to heap criticism on them when it doesn't turn out perfectly. We're not talking about brutality or out of control police. We're talking about a "less-lethal" alternative going bad.

Here's a clue. When it starts to look like it's degrading into a riot, GET THE HELL OUT! Don't stand around enjoying watching, thinking that your status as an "innocent bystander" will protect you. Don't think that the police have some magical equipment and/or training that will stop things with no one getting hurt.

Kilroy
10-24-2004, 07:54 AM
Are you really going to argue that the police should be able to anticipate that a pepper ball (essentially the same thing as a paint ball, but filled with Capsicum powder instead of paint) is going to hit someone in the eye and kill them???
Actually Nellie, I've been out paint-balling once or twice and before I did it, I had to sign something that stated I was aware that I could die participating, and that the establishment would not be liable.

Fenway
10-26-2004, 09:15 AM
http://news.bostonherald.com/columnists/view.bg?articleid=50865

Over the weekend, the drizzle surrounding the dazzle of ball games played in the shadow of a crime scene seemed sadly appropriate. The World Series started Saturday on the same street where Victoria Snelgrove's wonderful young world ended Thursday.
She was a beautiful girl, only 21 and a student at Emerson College, when she was shot to death by police using supposedly less-than-lethal crowd control weapons on Lansdowne Street. She was among thousands who headed to the old ball yard to celebrate the club's tremendous, uplifting comeback against the Yankees.
Her death brought darkness to the dream season we've all enjoyed. The players were saddened. Red Sox owner John Henry, a shy, sensitive, emotional guy, was distraught. Fans at weekend games couldn't help but feel the weight of tragedy.
So what now?

SOXSINCE'70
10-26-2004, 10:31 AM
Unfortunately him and his teams that he put out there definitely chip away at our life expectancy each and every season.

Mine's probably at about 55 right now.:(:
I'm 42.God only knows how much longer I can
take the crap that passes for "White Sox Baseball".:angry: :angry:

Fenway
11-13-2004, 02:14 PM
Sad case gets sadder

Video clip records fatal Fenway shooting

By Suzanne Smalley and Donovan Slack, Globe Staff | November 13, 2004

A dramatic 30-second video clip recorded the moment a Boston police officer fired into a crowd on Lansdowne Street last month, capturing horrified screams as those nearby realized a 21-year-old woman had been struck and lay bleeding on the sidewalk.

Patrolman Rochefort Milien fired the fatal shot, but was not aiming at Victoria E. Snelgrove, police said yesterday in a statement that disclosed numerous new details about the Oct. 21 shooting and the events that led up to officers firing pepper pellets at fans celebrating the Red Sox pennant victory.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2004/11/13/video_clip_records_fatal_fenway_shooting?mode=PF

Fenway
05-01-2005, 03:49 PM
Mayor confirms deal near in Red Sox fan's death (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/05/01/red_sox_fan_death_settlement_soon_mayor_says)

Mayor Menino confirmed Sunday that the city is close to a settlement with the parents of Victoria Snelgrove. (AP)

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/File-Based_Image_Resource/dingbat_arrow_icon.gif TODAY'S GLOBE: Settlement close (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/05/01/snelgrove_settlement_seen_as_near)

Still pending is the family going after the Boston Herald for this awful front page

http://www.newsdesigner.com/blog/images/oct04/MA_BH1022t.jpg

Fenway
05-25-2005, 03:39 PM
It is not often I applaud Boston city officials but the way they have not tried to cover up this horrible incident from last October makes me feel better about the future.

FINAL REPORT (55 pages)
http://www.cityofboston.gov/police/pdfs/report.pdf

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/05/25/report_series_of_police_errors_led_to_college_stud ents_death?mode=PF
BOSTON --Five police officers face internal disciplinary action for their involvement in the fatal shooting of a college student during last fall's chaotic Red Sox celebrations, Commissioner Kathleen O'Toole said Wednesday.

Her announcement came on the same day an independent commission reported that police made a series of mistakes leading up to the Oct. 21 death of 21-year-old Victoria Snelgrove, a broadcast journalism student at Emerson College.

Snelgrove died hours after she was hit in the eye socket with a pepper-spray pellet outside Fenway Park during raucous celebrations when Boston eliminated the New York Yankees from the American League playoffs. The city paid her family a $5.1 million settlement earlier this month, avoiding a wrongful death lawsuit

JohnBasedowYoda
05-25-2005, 03:56 PM
didn't some kid fall on the el tracks outside wrigley? can't imagine getting killed for just going to a game

Nellie_Fox
05-25-2005, 11:44 PM
Okay, the next time that a team wins a championship and the people go absolutely nuts, I say the police should just stay well outside the perimeter and watch until it dies down.

Just what is it that you expect the police to do when there is a riot going on?

Fenway
05-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Just what is it that you expect the police to do when there is a riot going on?

Probably not shoot from on top of a horse for starters

Nellie_Fox
05-27-2005, 12:39 AM
Probably not shoot from on top of a horse for startersWhat does that have to do with anything?

Tell you what Fenway. The next time Boston fans go nuts, you handle it.

Fenway
05-27-2005, 02:18 PM
What does that have to do with anything?

Tell you what Fenway. The next time Boston fans go nuts, you handle it.

If you read the report you see that O'Toole broke the chain of command a number of times, gave the weapon to officers who had never been trained to use it, etc.

After 2 Super Bowls and the Democratic Convention they should have had a clue and they did not. Bottom line is the woman killed was eating a sausage sandwich and watching the crowd 100 yards away. Nothing can justify her death. O'Toole was busted down to patrolman in 1986 after he screwed up during the 1986 World Series and somehow was able to rise up again. That was the mistake and the City of Boston knows it.
One, Officer Rochefort Milien, fired the shot that killed Ms. Snelgrove, the report said, and had "little guidance" about how the weapon should be used that night. The report said the fatal shot came from two rounds he aimed at a man who threw bottles in his direction. Video evidence showed that Officer Milien discharged the weapon quickly from eye level and did not secure his target, the report said.

It said Ms. Snelgrove was standing on the sidewalk and waiting for the crowd to clear so she could get her car from a garage.

The report was sharply critical of another one of the five officers, Deputy Superintendent Robert O'Toole, the senior commander that night. He was not trained to use the weapon but repeatedly fired it from his hip, the report said, and his desire to take on multiple roles undermined the chain of command.

Mr. O'Toole also handed the weapon to an officer who was not certified to use it, instructing the officer to "use this if you have to," the report said. The officers were firing at unruly revelers outside the park on Lansdowne Street and people standing on top of the Green Monster, the large leftfield wall at the ballpark.

"The officers on Lansdowne Street did not appear to appreciate that a person could be killed or seriously injured by the FN303," the report said.