PDA

View Full Version : Renovations '05.

chisoxmike
10-21-2004, 02:38 PM
Does anybody know when the renovations for '05 will start? I've drove past the park and nothing seems to have started yet. I know last year they didn't start until the end of October. Just wondering.

Rush20
10-21-2004, 03:50 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Due to all the construction on the Dan Ryan, I was literally stopped in front of the Cell earlier this week and took a long look. I was expecting to see work near the left field/Dan Ryan corner for the new Fundamentals area, however it looked like a ghost town.

I would think that since the Phase IV rennovations went down to the wire, the SOX brass would have started immediately after the season ended.

I know the green seats won't be in until 2006 due to JR wanting to get the full 15 years out of the original blue seats. That's OK, especially if the upgrade is considered standard maintenance and doesn't come out of the US Cellular sponsorship package.

I really hope they add some decorative brick/iron work over the expose concrete, do something in right field and knock down the ugly pedestrain walkways and at least some of the exterior ramps.

I hope they get to work soon. I enjoy the changes so far, however we still have a ways to go to rennovate the park.

CHISOXFAN13
10-21-2004, 05:12 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Due to all the construction on the Dan Ryan, I was literally stopped in front of the Cell earlier this week and took a long look. I was expecting to see work near the left field/Dan Ryan corner for the new Fundamentals area, however it looked like a ghost town.

I would think that since the Phase IV rennovations went down to the wire, the SOX brass would have started immediately after the season ended.

I know the green seats won't be in until 2006 due to JR wanting to get the full 15 years out of the original blue seats. That's OK, especially if the upgrade is considered standard maintenance and doesn't come out of the US Cellular sponsorship package.

I really hope they add some decorative brick/iron work over the expose concrete, do something in right field and knock down the ugly pedestrain walkways and at least some of the exterior ramps.

I hope they get to work soon. I enjoy the changes so far, however we still have a ways to go to rennovate the park.
It appears as if they have started the construction of the new restaurant behind home plate. The ticket window area behind home plate is bare now, so I'm assuming they will be bringing down a wall to use the extra room.

Whitesox029
10-22-2004, 12:27 AM
Does anybody know when the renovations for '05 will start? I've drove past the park and nothing seems to have started yet. I know last year they didn't start until the end of October. Just wondering.They don't start until the end of October in case we find out that every single stats bureau in the country made the same mistake, and the Sox actually won their division, meaning that the division series and championship series would have to be played all over again, in which case, we'd still have to play at the Cell this year.

No I don't know why....

pinwheels3530
10-22-2004, 05:04 AM
How about putting that big gigantic MGD bottle Hangar suggested a while back..they can put right next to the kids playpen!!!:D:

batmanZoSo
10-22-2004, 07:51 PM

In addition to the green seats, I would also like to see them add some brick around the place to cover up all the concrete. Both bullpens and the patio should be bricked off. There's just way too much concrete going on in those areas. At the very least, paint it black or that tank green they've been using. That would really warm it up.

The outfield concourse would improve ten fold if they laid down bricks on it, maybe with inlaid plaques of Sox players and/or or homages to historical Sox moments/seasons. The OF concourse is probably the best feature of the whole place, it only makes sense to maximize it. It's not "bad" as it is, but with all the concrete and billboards, it is slightly reminiscent of walking on the shoulder of an expressway.

Both of these things make the place look a lot better on TV, which is very important. And it would really add a lot of that baseball coziness everyone loves. I don't think it would that expensive either. In my opinion, these are some cosmetic changes that would go a long way toward improving the feel of the park.

Viva Magglio
10-22-2004, 07:59 PM
I went by USCF on the Metra Southwest today, and I noticed some of the blue seats missing in the left field corner of the upper deck. It looked like every other row of seats was missing. However, I think this kind of stuff they do every offseason so I would not jump to any conclusions about green seats going in.

FightingBillini
10-23-2004, 12:40 AM
In addition to the green seats, I would also like to see them add some brick around the place to cover up all the concrete. Both bullpens and the patio should be bricked off. There's just way too much concrete going on in those areas. At the very least, paint it black or that tank green they've been using. That would really warm it up.

The outfield concourse would improve ten fold if they laid down bricks on it, maybe with inlaid plaques of Sox players and/or or homages to historical Sox moments/seasons. The OF concourse is probably the best feature of the whole place, it only makes sense to maximize it. It's not "bad" as it is, but with all the concrete and billboards, it is slightly reminiscent of walking on the shoulder of an expressway.

Both of these things make the place look a lot better on TV, which is very important. And it would really add a lot of that baseball coziness everyone loves. I don't think it would that expensive either. In my opinion, these are some cosmetic changes that would go a long way toward improving the feel of the park.
I agree 100%. However, you will get at least 5 people who say "NO BRICKS! WE HATE BRICKS! ITS NOT WRIGLEY! CUBS FANS WILL SAY WE TRY TO MAKE IT LIKE WRIGLEY!"

I have thought about brick on the walls behind the outfield fence and in the bullpens. That would look very classy. Of course, the park would look so much better with a brick exterior, but from what peole tell me, that would be very pricey. The thing I want added to the park the most is a grand entrance behind homeplate. All parks (accept for the baseball/football monstrocities) have one. Its the defining feature of the park. The first image that most people get of the parks is the grandstand like the square brick one at Fenway with the vertical banners, the red sign at the Urinal that says "home of the flubs", the curved rotunda at ebbets field with all the windows. We have nothing attractive on the outside of the park. We need shots of the park to show on tv that make people say "wow, that looks like an awesome place". Hopefully they will add brick on the exterior, and hopefully they will rebuild the grandstand to replicate the one at old comiskey, where the FANS can enter, instead of the double doors leading to the team offices. I want something big that says "THIS is us cellular field. Home of the White Sox."
http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/teens1.jpg

Hangar18
10-23-2004, 02:45 PM
I agree 100%. However, you will get at least 5 people who say "NO BRICKS! WE HATE BRICKS! ITS NOT WRIGLEY! CUBS FANS WILL SAY WE TRY TO MAKE IT LIKE WRIGLEY!"

I have thought about brick on the walls behind the outfield fence and in the bullpens. That would look very classy. Of course, the park would look so much better with a brick exterior, but from what peole tell me, that would be very pricey. The thing I want added to the park the most is a grand entrance behind homeplate. All parks (accept for the baseball/football monstrocities) have one. Its the defining feature of the park. The first image that most people get of the parks is the grandstand like the square brick one at Fenway with the vertical banners, the red sign at the Urinal that says "home of the flubs", the curved rotunda at ebbets field with all the windows. We have nothing attractive on the outside of the park. We need shots of the park to show on tv that make people say "wow, that looks like an awesome place". Hopefully they will add brick on the exterior, and hopefully they will rebuild the grandstand to replicate the one at old comiskey, where the FANS can enter, instead of the double doors leading to the team offices. I want something big that says "THIS is us cellular field. Home of the White Sox."
I know how they can do this. The outside of Comiskey is all Precast Concrete. Keep the Upper Panels at they are. The upper Panels start
right about where the Faux "Arches" are. Everything below, can be BRICKED
over, using the same exact bricks that are INSIDE the stadium.
The parks profile would Change IMMENSELY for the better, it would be
Beautiful. SO basically, the entire Bottom "half" of the Stadiums exterior
would be Bricked over, and I only suggest that, so Jerry wont have a heart attack. The top Precast Panels would remain.

mikef1331
10-23-2004, 07:55 PM

I think that the presence of the billboards will be lessened with the addition of the new "Fun-damentals" section being constructed on the left field side of the concourse.

duke of dorwood
10-24-2004, 05:21 PM
I went by USCF on the Metra Southwest today, and I noticed some of the blue seats missing in the left field corner of the upper deck. It looked like every other row of seats was missing. However, I think this kind of stuff they do every offseason so I would not jump to any conclusions about green seats going in.
The right field seats are missing every other row too as I saw from the Rock Island

GiveMeSox
10-24-2004, 05:30 PM
The right field seats are missing every other row too as I saw from the Rock Island
Possibly structural inspections of the support pieces beneath the rows of seats and or inspection of the seats themselves. The stadums always needed to be inspected to make sure nothing is cracking or failing, IE the cubs and wrigley scandal. They might just be doing some regular inspections to make sure all is well structurally. The difference being the sox wont cover it up and fail to follow city regulations and keep it a secret if works does need to be done.

dickallen15
10-24-2004, 06:34 PM
Possibly structural inspections of the support pieces beneath the rows of seats and or inspection of the seats themselves. The stadums always needed to be inspected to make sure nothing is cracking or failing, IE the cubs and wrigley scandal. They might just be doing some regular inspections to make sure all is well structurally. The difference being the sox wont cover it up and fail to follow city regulations and keep it a secret if works does need to be done.
The real reason the Sox wouldn't cover it up is they don't own the stadium. I'm sure ISFA is picking up tab on the inspections.

GiveMeSox
10-24-2004, 09:39 PM
The real reason the Sox wouldn't cover it up is they don't own the stadium. I'm sure ISFA is picking up tab on the inspections.
Yeah and the ISFA is a publically financed operation by the state, so its our tax dollars. I like that much more than gigantic evil comany on the north side that operates behind a vail of closed doors and secrecy.

TornLabrum
10-24-2004, 09:42 PM
Yeah and the ISFA is a publically financed operation by the state, so its our tax dollars. I like that much more than gigantic evil comany on the north side that operates behind a vail of closed doors and secrecy.
It only is your tax dollars if you stay in a hotel or motel.

Brian26
10-24-2004, 09:50 PM
Like all of the morons who come into town to get a glimpse of the Shrine every summer? Isn't that beautifully ironic? The crybabies scrubs on the northside are actually indirectly paying for our stadium.
:bandance:

GiveMeSox
10-24-2004, 11:26 PM
Like all of the morons who come into town to get a glimpse of the Shrine every summer? Isn't that beautifully ironic? The crybabies scrubs on the northside are actually indirectly paying for our stadium.
:bandance:
Hahaha. After realizing this i cant stop laughing. How ironic is right.

Frank the Tank
10-31-2004, 07:56 PM
Does anybody know when the renovations for '05 will start? I've drove past the park and nothing seems to have started yet. I know last year they didn't start until the end of October. Just wondering.
Were the scout seats and new restaurant all the renovations we can expect in the final phase?? I was under the impression that some money was left.

lths06
10-31-2004, 08:03 PM
Were the scout seats and new restaurant all the renovations we can expect in the final phase?? I was under the impression that some money was left.
Thats all they have announced so far. I assume (and hope) there will be more.
COME ON HOME RUN PORCH:)

Frank the Tank
10-31-2004, 08:15 PM
The scout seats w/ restaurant and fundamentals are nice, but I hope there is more. It is already November and no more announcements. I am getting a little concerned and am starting to expect a real let-down.

nitetrain8601
10-31-2004, 10:38 PM
Why would it be a letdown? For the past couple of years(since 2000 basically) the Sox have improved the stadium for the fans. This year is no different and those things they're adding are major just in case you didn't know. You can't have 3 major projects all in the same winter because it just wouldn't get done on time unless you want to play on the road a month into the season. The past 2 years the Sox have had hard times with 2 major projects each year. Each year they've finished right up into game time.

Frank the Tank
11-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Why would it be a letdown? For the past couple of years(since 2000 basically) the Sox have improved the stadium for the fans. This year is no different and those things they're adding are major just in case you didn't know. You can't have 3 major projects all in the same winter because it just wouldn't get done on time unless you want to play on the road a month into the season. The past 2 years the Sox have had hard times with 2 major projects each year. Each year they've finished right up into game time.
It would be a let down to me because I expected more. Fundamentals might be fun for little kids and the rich people will probably love their new seats, but IMO other areas should have been addressed with the final installment of the renovations. For example:

- Home run porch
- Grand Entrance
- Renovating the exit ramps
- Bricks for the exterior
- Green Seats
- something to cover up all the concrete all over the stadium

If all the money was spent on Fundamentals and the scout seating, I'm going to be very disappointed with Phase V.

StillMissOzzie
11-01-2004, 12:27 AM
Like when we get the room package for SoxFest? Let's not gloat that it's all Shrine-visiting out-of-towners paying for these things...

SMO
:gulp:

FightingBillini
11-01-2004, 12:31 AM
I sent Brooks an email about it, but I never recieved a response. From what people are saying, he told them he basically thought that their docket was full for renovations this offseason. While there was supposed to be "a breand new fully renovated US Cellular Field for 2005", it looks like that wont be the case. Its clear there are other renovations they want to do/already plan on doing, but they just wont be able to finish them this year. They do focus group studies and survey season ticket holders to find out what people want in the park. Many people email Brooks, and he seems to read most of them and personally respond. Also, I know for a fact that people within the organization check this board regularly. Nobody knows for sure how much they have paid so far and how much this year's renovations would cost. I think there will be some money left over from the naming rights, and Reinsdorf has shown before that he would pay for renovations to the park (2001) if they think it will greatly effect the ballpark experience, or to put in more seats that will generate more revenue. Regardless, we can be sure that by 2007, the park will look nothing like it did in 1991.

LAWSfan
11-01-2004, 01:53 AM
I have thought about brick on the walls behind the outfield fence and in the bullpens. That would look very classy. Of course, the park would look so much better with a brick exterior, but from what peole tell me, that would be very pricey. The thing I want added to the park the most is a grand entrance behind homeplate. All parks (accept for the baseball/football monstrocities) have one. Its the defining feature of the park.

Not all stadiums have a grand entrance behind home plate. Petco doesn't. Dodger Stadium doesn't.

FightingBillini
11-01-2004, 02:03 AM
Im surprised PETCO doesnt have a main entrance. Either way, the current look of the park works. Also, I wouldnt consider Dodger Stadium greatm, but Dodger Stadium was part of the "new age" era of stadiums. The same era that ended with New Comiskey. Back then parks were supposed to look futuristic and not retro.

bc2k
11-01-2004, 03:14 AM
It would be a let down to me because I expected more. Fundamentals might be fun for little kids and the rich people will probably love their new seats, but IMO other areas should have been addressed with the final installment of the renovations. For example:

- Home run porch
- Grand Entrance
- Green Seats

If all the money was spent on Fundamentals and the scout seating, I'm going to be very disappointed with Phase V.
ditto

Rush20
11-01-2004, 01:33 PM
ditto
Ditto again! Hopefully, with all the "mystery work" be done in or around the right field patio area (ticket season party cancelled, etc.) maybe they're building the internal anchors for the right field upper deck or patio area.

I sure hope they add more brickwork, similar to the backdrop they showed for the player photos. Looked like arches found in old cathedrals. I know JR mentioned that he personally received positive feedback on the brickwork already added so I hope he is considering more.

Brian26
11-01-2004, 01:44 PM
Back then parks were supposed to look futuristic and not retro.

I don't know if the parks were supposed to look "futuristic" as much as they were supposed to be multi-functional. Dodger Stadium is actually the exception to the rule, as it was years before it's own time and still is a very pretty, functional ballpark, and it was never intended to be used as a football field.

The civic concern of the time was to build multi-purpose stadiums to house as many professional sports teams in a city as possible in order to cut down on facilities costs.

Riverfront, Three Rivers, Veterans Stadium, Shea, Busch, Fulton County, Candlestick, Jack Murphy, the Astrodome, Kingdome, Oakland Alameda, Metrodome, etc were all designed with either collapsing or rotating seats that could be set-up for either football or baseball.

Brian26
11-01-2004, 01:48 PM
- Home run porch
- Grand Entrance
- Green Seats

I can tell you very honestly that if the Sox ever build a homerun porch, grand entrance, or do any renovating of the exit ramps, it will require much longer than the winter break (Nov 1 to April 1). Weather delays aside, these type of projects will need to stretch into the season to be completed. It's a miracle they were able to finish the upperdeck project last year on time.

As for the green seats, it will eventually happen. Just relax.

I personally don't think brickwork is needed on the exterior of the park. It looks just fine the way it is.

Brian26
11-01-2004, 01:49 PM
The scout seats w/ restaurant and fundamentals are nice, but I hope there is more. It is already November and no more announcements. I am getting a little concerned and am starting to expect a real let-down.

Do you expect a major change to the stadium every year? Give me a break.

Frank the Tank
11-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Do you expect a major change to the stadium every year? Give me a break.
Are you being serious....did you forget that the sox announced 5 phases of renovations? Why wouldn't I expect a major change this year? Listen, all this talk about time contraints on construction is a joke. If mankind was able to build the empire state building in just over a year in the 1930s, why couldn't we manage to build a home-run porch in one off-season with today's technology? Why do you keep saying that they had a hard time getting the Upper Deck done on time. Didn't the Upper deck and all the other renovations get completed right on schedule?

Brian26
11-01-2004, 02:16 PM
Are you being serious....did you forget that the sox announced 5 phases of renovations? Why wouldn't I expect a major change this year? Listen, all this talk about time contraints on construction is a joke. If mankind was able to build the empire state building in just over a year in the 1930s, why couldn't we manage to build a home-run porch in one off-season with today's technology? Why do you keep saying that they had a hard time getting the Upper Deck done on time. Didn't the Upper deck and all the other renovations get completed right on schedule?

Dude, you're way off base on this one. I know how long things take to get built. Technology has less to do with it than paperwork does.

All that aside, the "5 phases" were announced a long time ago. Since then, the Sox have said on the record they may make more changes as time and money permit.

Rush20
11-01-2004, 03:15 PM
Let's face it. We're talking about the White Sox with Jerry Reinsdorf as Chairman. There will be no "extra money" thrown at improving the park that comes out of his pockets!

Comiskey II was built relatively cheap compared to the recent retro ballparks. The new park planned for the Florida Marlins is topping out over $400M. I believe Comiskey II was built for less than $150M and mostly paid by the taxpayers.

If they upgrade the seats to green in 1, 2 or 3 years, it will come out of the general maintenance fund. The US Cellular funds are for the retro-fit design. Originally announced as a 5-phase project, we all naturally got excited that this off-season would be the icing on the cake or the final rennovations. Scout Seats, new restaurant and the FunDamentals helicoptor pad isn't causing much excitement.

GiveMeSox
11-01-2004, 05:57 PM
I sent Brooks an email about it, but I never recieved a response. From what people are saying, he told them he basically thought that their docket was full for renovations this offseason. While there was supposed to be "a breand new fully renovated US Cellular Field for 2005", it looks like that wont be the case. Its clear there are other renovations they want to do/already plan on doing, but they just wont be able to finish them this year. They do focus group studies and survey season ticket holders to find out what people want in the park. Many people email Brooks, and he seems to read most of them and personally respond. Also, I know for a fact that people within the organization check this board regularly. Nobody knows for sure how much they have paid so far and how much this year's renovations would cost. I think there will be some money left over from the naming rights, and Reinsdorf has shown before that he would pay for renovations to the park (2001) if they think it will greatly effect the ballpark experience, or to put in more seats that will generate more revenue. Regardless, we can be sure that by 2007, the park will look nothing like it did in 1991.
I think we are mis-interpreting the situation. What the sox meant when they said we will have a new US Cellular Field for 2005 is that the completion of the ongoing changes will happen for the 2005 season. Meaning in 2005 we will usher in the fully rennovated stadium the sox will play in for the next 25 years. Which will look nothing like the original stadium opened in 1991. They are not saying the rennovations in the offseason prior to 2005 are going to be the big time dramatic look changing ones, but that in 2005 all rennovations will be complete bringing the upgrades to a close and ushering in the new US Cellular Field era. The lease on the stadium is for 2025. Thats 20 years with a new US Cellular Field starting in 2005 when the 5 phases are completed.

nitetrain8601
11-01-2004, 07:17 PM
All you had to say was that you think it will be a big letdown because it doesn't immediately benefit you like the previous 4. Please, take a seat next to Hangar. ME, ME, ME. Well guess what? There are other me's. Them being children, and season ticket holders who also are like you who want things done for them. You've had 4 years of renovations for you, for once, allow renovations take place for children. The Scouts view seats are a major renovation as they will be building a resteraunt and a tunnel that takes you there directly from your seats. Lemme guess, a big huge beer bottle in RF with actual beer that fans could take a beer bong to would be better than the current renovations. Honestly, some people on this board disgust me. JR is trying to appease everyone, not just FrankTheTank. Allow the children for once to reap the benefits of renovations. And yes it would take a long time to renovate. Empire State building was quick because that was worked on night and day and they didn't have to destroy a huge base. They already had a site and only had to build. The upper deck, they had to take parts off without damaging any part of the structure of the upper deck or any other part of the building. Again those renovations that benefit directly you and are not big, but huge would take more than an offseason.

TornLabrum
11-01-2004, 07:37 PM
Like when we get the room package for SoxFest? Let's not gloat that it's all Shrine-visiting out-of-towners paying for these things...

SMO
:gulp:
If you stay 2 nights at SoxFest, the tax costs you under 20 bux, iirc.

FightingBillini
11-01-2004, 08:50 PM
I think we are mis-interpreting the situation. What the sox meant when they said we will have a new US Cellular Field for 2005 is that the completion of the ongoing changes will happen for the 2005 season. Meaning in 2005 we will usher in the fully rennovated stadium the sox will play in for the next 25 years. Which will look nothing like the original stadium opened in 1991. They are not saying the rennovations in the offseason prior to 2005 are going to be the big time dramatic look changing ones, but that in 2005 all rennovations will be complete bringing the upgrades to a close and ushering in the new US Cellular Field era. The lease on the stadium is for 2025. Thats 20 years with a new US Cellular Field starting in 2005 when the 5 phases are completed.
I think WE are misinterpreting the situation. I know what I said. What I said was exactly what you said. BY 2005 there would be a new USCF. It wasnt calling for a huge wave of renovations in this offseason. However, with the exception of moving the bullpens around, painting some stuff, and the roof, the park looks pretty much the same. The upper deck and the fan deck were the only dramatic renovations that took place.

DSpivack
11-01-2004, 09:20 PM
Going back to Dodger Stadium... is that not also an exception because the stadium was built on a slope and you enter top-down? That has got to be the only MLB stadium where one enters in such a fashion.

FightingBillini
11-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Going back to Dodger Stadium... is that not also an exception because the stadium was built on a slope and you enter top-down? That has got to be the only MLB stadium where one enters in such a fashion.
I dont know, but all of the stadiums after USCF have fields below ground level. Im not sure how functional it is, but it reduced the heights of the parks by probably 20 feet, which makes them seem more intimate and less intimidating and huge from the outside. That is their reasoning, before people jump down my throat about it.

LAWSfan
11-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Not sure what you mean but entering top-down. But at Dodger Stadium there are five levels. Field, loge, club, reserve, top deck. There are LF and RF pavilions. Basically bleachers.

If you have a reserve ticket you can only enter on the reserve level. But if you have a field ticket you can enter on any level. Loge you can enter any level but field.

To me it's a class system and it sucks. If you have a reserve level ticket (4th level) you can't go down to field level during BP. And the ushers are jerks about it.

At every other stadium I've been to, everybody enters on the same level and then take ramps etc to go to the upper levels. At Dodger Stadium the snobs who have field level tickets can't be bothered to enter with the lower classes who buy reserve or top deck tickets.

LAWSfan
11-01-2004, 10:03 PM
Im surprised PETCO doesnt have a main entrance. Either way, the current look of the park works. Also, I wouldnt consider Dodger Stadium greatm, but Dodger Stadium was part of the "new age" era of stadiums. The same era that ended with New Comiskey. Back then parks were supposed to look futuristic and not retro.
I disagree. I think all parks should have a main/grand entrance behind home plate. Petco doesn't work well. The main entrance is behind RF and it just doesn't work well.

I like the Park at the Park. It's basically a neighborhood park within Petco. There is a whiffleball field, sandbox for the kids, a nice berm that can be used as a picnic area. The Park at the Park opens about two and half hours before a game. You can only stay in the Park at the Park area, basically behind centerfield. The rest of the park opens about 2hrs before the game.

Frank the Tank
11-01-2004, 11:48 PM
All you had to say was that you think it will be a big letdown because it doesn't immediately benefit you like the previous 4. Please, take a seat next to Hangar. ME, ME, ME. Well guess what? There are other me's. Them being children, and season ticket holders who also are like you who want things done for them. You've had 4 years of renovations for you, for once, allow renovations take place for children. The Scouts view seats are a major renovation as they will be building a resteraunt and a tunnel that takes you there directly from your seats. Lemme guess, a big huge beer bottle in RF with actual beer that fans could take a beer bong to would be better than the current renovations. Honestly, some people on this board disgust me. JR is trying to appease everyone, not just FrankTheTank. Allow the children for once to reap the benefits of renovations. And yes it would take a long time to renovate. Empire State building was quick because that was worked on night and day and they didn't have to destroy a huge base. They already had a site and only had to build. The upper deck, they had to take parts off without damaging any part of the structure of the upper deck or any other part of the building. Again those renovations that benefit directly you and are not big, but huge would take more than an offseason.
You should have made your comment about comparing the construction of the Empire State Building to a proposed home run porch in teal. I have no objection to catering to other segments of the sox potential market (kids and rich people), but I am convinced that there are more "Frank the Tanks and Hangars" existing in White Sox nation. I want to ask you two questions:

1. Are the scout seats going to be sold out for the whole season, or be empty when the sox aren't winning?

2. How many kids are going to be at night games to utilize fundamentals?

p.s. I like your beer bong idea

Rush20
11-02-2004, 02:42 PM
If the USCF funds stop with the Scout Seats/Restaurant and FunDamentals, then I am disappointed with the final product. I guess I got too excited when I saw the intial artist renditions that had a grand entrance near the Dan Ryan/left field corner, a right field upper deck and the removal the outside ramps.

it appears the SOX brass abandoned that initial idea for something different and that which is now starting to be developed.

Sorry, but I'm disappointed. I would love a right field upperdeck patio that expands over the right field wall. The idea of SOX nation or something for the average fan in right field should be welcomed.

So far:

- The richest season tickets holders get a private restaurant and great new seats.
- The children get a FunDamentals wiffle ball field
- The average fan gets a better upper deck that only 25% sit in. I don't get it. Especially since the upper deck is now cut off from the rest of the field and you can't even enjoy the CF fan deck?!

Blow it Up and start over! Some nice land immediately west of McCormick Place....

Brian26
11-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Not sure what you mean but entering top-down.

What he meant was that Dodger stadium is actually built into the side of a small cliff. The ground level behind homeplate is at the same elevation as the upperdeck entrances. The gates behind homeplate lead you into the top of the stadium, and then you make your way down to the field.

LAWSfan
11-02-2004, 05:19 PM
What he meant was that Dodger stadium is actually built into the side of a small cliff. The ground level behind homeplate is at the same elevation as the upperdeck entrances. The gates behind homeplate lead you into the top of the stadium, and then you make your way down to the field.
The only gates behind home plate is the Top Deck. If you don't have field level tickets you can't go down to the field level. You have to stay in your "level" You can go up levels but don't down. Dodger Stadium is very overrated. A dump of a stadium.

A.T. Money
11-03-2004, 10:00 PM
Has anyone tried to email HOK (is that their name) to see if they will leak anymore info on the renovations...maybe show us different renderings...or possible future renovations?

chisoxt
11-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Has anyone tried to email HOK (is that their name) to see if they will leak anymore info on the renovations...maybe show us different renderings...or possible future renovations?
HOk is not the architect currently working on renovation plans for the Cell.

Also, I doubt highly that the architect would reveal renovation plans without the Sports Authority's consent

nitetrain8601
11-04-2004, 01:33 AM
Anyone notice a crane at the Cell today in CF behind the scoreboard??? Seems weird. Anyway, the reason why a Grand Entrance by the Dan Ryan wouldn't work is because of the fireworks. People enter and leave the game in the middle of it or right after(when there's fireworks night). Those fireworks would be too close according to rules the stadium has to abide by when it comes to safety. That's why when the fireworks were done inside the ballpark(from the actual tubes) the OF had to be cleared(stands) because the fireworks could come back down and hit a fan and that's just a lawsuit waiting to happen. That's why they moved them back outside, but a Grand Entrance by the Ryan would recreate the problem in a whole new big way because you'll have everyone(80%) enter through there. That means more chances of a lawsuit from several people and probably the city for putting fans in danger. Therefore the fireworks would have to be eliminated all together unless they shot off from behind homeplate(which would be dumb).

FightingBillini
11-04-2004, 03:23 AM
Anyone notice a crane at the Cell today in CF behind the scoreboard??? Seems weird. Anyway, the reason why a Grand Entrance by the Dan Ryan wouldn't work is because of the fireworks. People enter and leave the game in the middle of it or right after(when there's fireworks night). Those fireworks would be too close according to rules the stadium has to abide by when it comes to safety. That's why when the fireworks were done inside the ballpark(from the actual tubes) the OF had to be cleared(stands) because the fireworks could come back down and hit a fan and that's just a lawsuit waiting to happen. That's why they moved them back outside, but a Grand Entrance by the Ryan would recreate the problem in a whole new big way because you'll have everyone(80%) enter through there. That means more chances of a lawsuit from several people and probably the city for putting fans in danger. Therefore the fireworks would have to be eliminated all together unless they shot off from behind homeplate(which would be dumb).
Im not sure if that would be the case. If you look at the rendering that we have on this site, the new entrace/patio extends only a little bit past the foul line. It would be in the space between the foul line and the fundamentals area. The fireworks wouldnt be any more dangerous to the people coming in the new entrance than to the kids on the fundamental deck. In fact, the kids would be in more harm. Im sure they had all this out when they proposed the fan deck.

CubKilla
11-04-2004, 10:57 AM
Anyone notice a crane at the Cell today in CF behind the scoreboard??? Seems weird.
I saw that. They were moving the big american flag from the back of one of the huge billboards that is soon to be knocked down to the back of the scoreboard. The Fundamentals construction is going to be starting soon too.

Hangar18
11-04-2004, 11:46 AM
Let's face it. We're talking about the White Sox with Jerry Reinsdorf as Chairman. There will be no "extra money" thrown at improving the park that comes out of his pockets!

Scout Seats, new restaurant and the FunDamentals helicoptor pad isn't causing much excitement.

:reinsy
" Your dang right! Now you want me to PAY for my mistakes?
Dont make me Laugh! Ba hhhaaaaaa haaaaa haaaaaaaa "

Hangar18
11-04-2004, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE=Rush20]
Comiskey II was built relatively cheap compared to the recent retro ballparks. The new park planned for the Florida Marlins is topping out over $400M. I believe Comiskey II was built for less than $150M and mostly paid by the taxpayers.
QUOTE]

HOK offered the SOX a few different plans, all of which were "retro" in design
(read: EXPEN$IVE) All were apparently Shot Down by the White Sox, in favor
of a more Modern Look (read: CHEAPER) I know theres a gag order on
them to NOT TALK, but things have leaked out (to the chagrin of The Chairman). A Brick exterior looks much more pleasing to the eye (but more expensive) but the SOX opted for a Sheet of Concrete instead, preferring to color the concrete in the color of the bricks, so as to mimic a brick exterior. This did keep the cost significantly Lower. The SOX also insisted on NO POSTS, despite pleas by the Architects over what Canitlevering would accomplish, but again, somehow the SOX may have thought that would be more expensive too (and didnt want any obstructed views anywhere) Definitely interesting how the whole design
process came about, and one day, we may get the real story. Dont
look for Pictures of New Comiskey on the HOK website. They proudly display ALL of the Baseball Projects they were involved in prominently .......
except for a certain ballpark on Chicagos south side.

DSpivack
11-10-2004, 04:26 PM
them to NOT TALK, but things have leaked out (to the chagrin of The Chairman). A Brick exterior looks much more pleasing to the eye (but more expensive) but the SOX opted for a Sheet of Concrete instead, preferring to color the concrete in the color of the bricks, so as to mimic a brick exterior. This did keep the cost significantly Lower. The SOX also insisted on NO POSTS, despite pleas by the Architects over what Canitlevering would accomplish, but again, somehow the SOX may have thought that would be more expensive too (and didnt want any obstructed views anywhere) Definitely interesting how the whole design
look for Pictures of New Comiskey on the HOK website. They proudly display ALL of the Baseball Projects they were involved in prominently .......
Stupid question, but there aren't any renderings of what HOK orignally proposed anywhere, are there?

GiveMeSox
11-10-2004, 05:26 PM
HOk is not the architect currently working on renovation plans for the Cell.

Also, I doubt highly that the architect would reveal renovation plans without the Sports Authority's consent
HKS Incs is the contractor currently working on the US Cellualr Field rennovations they have a lot of info on there site about it. However nothing knew though. Although im sure someone could do a scheme where they make something up in order to get some info from a willing particapant at HKS. Maybe someone could claim to be doing a school project, or research, or be a media source. Something could work.

www.hksinc.com

ewokpelts
11-10-2004, 05:52 PM
Anyone notice a crane at the Cell today in CF behind the scoreboard??? Seems weird. Anyway, the reason why a Grand Entrance by the Dan Ryan wouldn't work is because of the fireworks. People enter and leave the game in the middle of it or right after(when there's fireworks night). Those fireworks would be too close according to rules the stadium has to abide by when it comes to safety. That's why when the fireworks were done inside the ballpark(from the actual tubes) the OF had to be cleared(stands) because the fireworks could come back down and hit a fan and that's just a lawsuit waiting to happen. That's why they moved them back outside, but a Grand Entrance by the Ryan would recreate the problem in a whole new big way because you'll have everyone(80%) enter through there. That means more chances of a lawsuit from several people and probably the city for putting fans in danger. Therefore the fireworks would have to be eliminated all together unless they shot off from behind homeplate(which would be dumb).well....the outside rig for fireworks closes off gate one and seven...and a grand entrance would be enclosed...look at the renderings..it's very similar to mille rpark's hot corner.
Gene

I_Liked_Manuel
11-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Stupid question, but there aren't any renderings of what HOK orignally proposed anywhere, are there?

i remember reading a few years back in some random magazine that it was camden yards

hsnterprize
11-10-2004, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=Rush20]
QUOTE]

Actually, Hangar...

There are some pics of the Cell on the HOK website. It's on the HOK S+V+E (Sport, Venue, Event) site. Here's a link (http://www.hoksve.com/sport/projects/370659C0-ED81-11D4-9F9B-009027887D89/U_S__Cellular_Field.htm?sort=Alpha#) to that specific page. The most recent pics are from the 2003 ASG...nothing showing the latest renovations. The pics look good, but we all know the park could've been been built better.

nitetrain8601
11-10-2004, 10:45 PM
They have a lot of nice stadiums.

Frater Perdurabo
11-11-2004, 10:15 AM
I dont know, but all of the stadiums after USCF have fields below ground level. Im not sure how functional it is, but it reduced the heights of the parks by probably 20 feet, which makes them seem more intimate and less intimidating and huge from the outside. That is their reasoning, before people jump down my throat about it.

This is what was done at the Ballpark in Arlington. This means that you don't have to walk up a ramp or stairs to get in the stadium. It has more gates, making entry and especially exiting so much easier. Also, the ramps to the upper decks are less of a climb.

The Sox could mimic this effect along the first base side of U.S. Cellular Field if they chose to develop the parking lot immediately west of the Cell (up to the Metra Southwest Service tracks) into transit-oriented development. (Isn't Reinsdorf a real estate developer at heart?) Leave the parking lot as it is, but build structures and a platform on top of it to create a parking garage. The platform would allow people to enter the stadium at a level even with the lower deck concourse.

The buidlings would house restaurants, clubs, shops, an independent film theater and even a hotel and/or high-rise apartments and condos. The area could become a year-round shopping, dining and entertainment district that would serve the people of Bridgeport and bring more people from other areas and therefore revenues into the city treasury. If anyone is familiar with Dallas' Mockingbird Station (http://www.rtkl.com/cs_mockingbird_station.asp), they can see exactly what I'm talking about. Mockingbird Station is almost the same size as that parking lot immediately west of U.S. Cellular Field.

Bridgeport, and by extension the Cell, would become a tourist destination, increasing Sox game attendance and therefore payroll.

MisterB
11-11-2004, 11:06 AM
(Isn't Reinsdorf a real estate developer at heart)
You're assuming he has one... :D:

C-Dawg
11-11-2004, 07:22 PM

I don't know if they planned it that way, but by having the field and ground-level floors (offices) at the original ground elevation, they saved a ton of money. This came up during the Soldier Field reconstruction as well. The soil in that part of Chicago has a fairly stiff crust that is firm enough to build upon, but by digging a pit 10, 20 or more feet into the ground, would place the field down in the softest soils. I'm not saying it couldn't have been done, but it would have been more expensive. The structure of the park is supported by caissons (drilled columns of concrete), but having the field and offices and whatever else is at ground level down in a swampy, wet pit would have taken much more time and engineering.

GiveMeSox
11-12-2004, 12:59 AM
I don't know if they planned it that way, but by having the field and ground-level floors (offices) at the original ground elevation, they saved a ton of money. This came up during the Soldier Field reconstruction as well. The soil in that part of Chicago has a fairly stiff crust that is firm enough to build upon, but by digging a pit 10, 20 or more feet into the ground, would place the field down in the softest soils. I'm not saying it couldn't have been done, but it would have been more expensive. The structure of the park is supported by caissons (drilled columns of concrete), but having the field and offices and whatever else is at ground level down in a swampy, wet pit would have taken much more time and engineering.
I remeber reading something about this a long time ago and think the conclusion was that they couldn't do that. It had something to do that the ran ryan is right there and already about 15 to 20 ft lower than the sourounding streets and neigborhood therefore having to make the stadium part of that and at that high level above the ryan. Which in turn is designed that way for drainage and keeping lake michiagn out or some BS from chicago design.

nitetrain8601
11-12-2004, 01:23 AM
This is what was done at the Ballpark in Arlington. This means that you don't have to walk up a ramp or stairs to get in the stadium. It has more gates, making entry and especially exiting so much easier. Also, the ramps to the upper decks are less of a climb.

The Sox could mimic this effect along the first base side of U.S. Cellular Field if they chose to develop the parking lot immediately west of the Cell (up to the Metra Southwest Service tracks) into transit-oriented development. (Isn't Reinsdorf a real estate developer at heart?) Leave the parking lot as it is, but build structures and a platform on top of it to create a parking garage. The platform would allow people to enter the stadium at a level even with the lower deck concourse.

The buidlings would house restaurants, clubs, shops, an independent film theater and even a hotel and/or high-rise apartments and condos. The area could become a year-round shopping, dining and entertainment district that would serve the people of Bridgeport and bring more people from other areas and therefore revenues into the city treasury. If anyone is familiar with Dallas' Mockingbird Station (http://www.rtkl.com/cs_mockingbird_station.asp), they can see exactly what I'm talking about. Mockingbird Station is almost the same size as that parking lot immediately west of U.S. Cellular Field.

Bridgeport, and by extension the Cell, would become a tourist destination, increasing Sox game attendance and therefore payroll.
Problem with that is if more people don't come then you just wasted more money. Remember, this team is ran by a bunch of investors. They could decide to fix up the lots and all(aren't they ISFA owned??), but the risk would be too great. It has to be up to other's (fan's; rich fans in particular) to come up with revenue and build places and start up businesses that have to do with the Sox around the ballpark. The tribune doesn't own the neighborhood surrounding Wrigley, the people do and they decided to make money off the games by putting up a bunch of bars and resteraunts which was smart. Sox fans have to do the same(not replicate exactly how everything looks, but use the same concept).

Parrothead
12-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Just looking for an update as to the status of the renovations at the stadium. Anyone been by there lately?

WikdChiSoxFan
12-11-2004, 06:56 PM
I ride the 35 by the park almost everyday and I've been wondering about the renovations as well. I've seen some trucks around there occasionally and a dumpster or two. But I haven't seen any cranes or pump trucks that would probably be required in order to put up that little mini-ball park over the concourse in left field. They might have equipment inside the park for the scout seating, but I haven't seen any large steel going up. I'll post here if i see anything.