PDA

View Full Version : ALCS Poll: Biggest Comeback or Biggest Choke?

Baby Fisk
10-21-2004, 09:39 AM
Biggest comeback or biggest choke? You decide.

dpbyron
10-21-2004, 09:45 AM
Both.

As much as the Yankee$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ choked, the Red Sox showed unbelievable heart and stuck it to the Evil Empire!

If I had to choose I would say the biggest comeback because the Yankee$$$$$$$$$$ didn't do anything specific like a Leon Durham, Bill Buckner or Alex Gonzalez-Mark Prior-Kerry Wood-SamMe Sosa, Dusty Baker blatant choke job.

JoseCanseco6969
10-21-2004, 09:50 AM
Biggest comeback or biggest choke? You decide.
biggest choke! GO NL! screw these bastard red cubs

Justafan
10-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Both.

As much as the Yankee$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ choked, the Red Sox showed unbelievable heart and stuck it to the Evil Empire!

If I had to choose I would say the biggest comeback because the Yankee$$$$$$$$$$ didn't do anything specific like a Leon Durham, Bill Buckner or Alex Gonzalez-Mark Prior-Kerry Wood-SamMe Sosa, Dusty Baker blatant choke job.No! This was a choke that CAN NEVER BE eclipsed.. It was the biggest choke in SPORTS HISTORY. No team HAS EVER lost a series in baseball after going up 3-0. Sorry, this was the chokiest of chokes EVER!

DumpJerry
10-21-2004, 09:55 AM
Both.

If I had to choose I would say the biggest comeback because the Yankee$$$$$$$$$$ didn't do anything specific like a Leon Durham, Bill Buckner or Alex Gonzalez-Mark Prior-Kerry Wood-SamMe Sosa, Dusty Baker blatant choke job.I agree with your first statement, Byron. However, the Yanks' pitching fell apart and they left too many guys in scoring position in the extra inning games before the 10th. This is a choke, Yankee-style, not Flub style. I predict Torre will need to get his resume together. I'm sure Uncle George is tired of being the most expensive bridesmaid on the block.

FightingBillini
10-21-2004, 09:55 AM
I voted for both. While what the Red Sox did was unbelievable, the back-end sweep, it was even more unbelievable in the manner that it happened. After the worst loss in team playoff history, they came back and won two extra inning games at home with walk off homers and ground ruled doubles, game six where it almost fell apart (A-Rod's bitch slap), and then dominating game seven. Games fothree through seven happened all in consecutive days, the Red Sox bullpen was amazing. Curt Schilling gave the best performance I've seen in my life. It was unbelievable.

On the otherhand, the Yankees really blew it. They had so many chances to win games 4,5 and 6. "The greatest closer of all time" blew two games (although the last one wasnt his fault). The biggest thing I look to - the heart of the NY lineup. A-Rod, Sheff, Matsui absolutely KILLED Boston the first three. They were a complete non-factor in the last four games. The Yankees just did the most epic choke in the history of mankind. It feels great. :D:

mjharrison72
10-21-2004, 10:18 AM
I have to call it a comeback. You don't win two extra-inning elimination games because the other team choked. I can certainly cite some Yankees who choked, though, ahem, Rivera, A-Rod, Kevin Brown...

Flight #24
10-21-2004, 10:54 AM
I have to call it a comeback. You don't win two extra-inning elimination games because the other team choked. I can certainly cite some Yankees who choked, though, ahem, Rivera, A-Rod, Kevin Brown...
Welcome aboard!!!

The biggest question now, IMO, is what this means in terms of Big George's plans. This could easily put him over the top (as if he wasn't there already!). I'm thinking Beltran for $17mil, Pedro for $13mil. Steal one from the BoSox, and add a superstar who's proven he's a clutch hitter. There will be no rest in Yankeetown.

The good news is that that should eliminate any possibility of the Chubs getting Carlos. Unless they dredge up Carlos Martinez or something. The other good news is that if this is true, KW can forget about Beltran, and while everyone else is going through Bora$$'s dog&pony show, he may be able to sweep up a JD Drew or another "next tier" guy and/or a decent SP at a reasonable price.

Justafan
10-21-2004, 10:59 AM
Welcome aboard!!!

The biggest question now, IMO, is what this means in terms of Big George's plans. This could easily put him over the top (as if he wasn't there already!). I'm thinking Beltran for $17mil, Pedro for $13mil. Steal one from the BoSox, and add a superstar who's proven he's a clutch hitter. There will be no rest in Yankeetown.

The good news is that that should eliminate any possibility of the Chubs getting Carlos. Unless they dredge up Carlos Martinez or something. The other good news is that if this is true, KW can forget about Beltran, and while everyone else is going through Bora$$'s dog&pony show, he may be able to sweep up a JD Drew or another "next tier" guy and/or a decent SP at a reasonable price.
I don't know about that, flight. The Yankees pitching was exposed far more then their bats were. Carlos Beltran would not have made a difference, IMO. I think George will be shooting for pitching, pitching and more pitching.

Paulwny
10-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Post game interview on the YES Net with a pissed off Derek Jeter, reporter~ "5,6 yrs ago this team would have closed out this series ." Jeter ~ "This is not that team." It sounded as if he felt this team lacked heart.
I don't know how true this is, King George's biggest nightmare is the red sox celebrating a pennant or the mets celebrating a ws victory at yankmee stadium.
Heads will role and the money will fly out of the wallet, $200 million dollar payroll next year.
A $180 million CHOKE. :D:

Uncle_Patrick
10-21-2004, 11:15 AM
I'd call it the biggest choke in ALCS history. The Yankees had the Red Sox on the ropes, and then went ice cold. I'm not trying to take anything away from the Red Sox, 'cause they definately played their hearts out, but the Yankees looked pretty bad from game 4 on. You could point to those extra innings games and say they Yankees were still fighting, but you can also look at those games and see the all the opportunities the Yankees had to win and squandered them. Sometimes, I thought I was watching the White Sox. The Yankees would get 1 or 2 guys on with nobody out, and then the next 3 batters would go down in order.

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-21-2004, 11:29 AM
i freaking hate the red sox! i cant believe you guys. All im gunna be hearing from the cubs fans at school is "OH YEA RED SOX GO RED SOX!" Gosh Dang it! Every single freaking cubs fan is a red sox fan. I cant root for those AL-CUBS.:angry: You guys have to admit, the yankees have some good talent, but i cant believe they blew a 3-0 Lead!! :mad: Tonight im rooting for the Cardinals. This might be one RED world series. I, Myself, have to admit that this has been some preety awsome baseball. Go Cards! Ruck the Fed Sox!
http://i10.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/7b/32/14_1.JPG

Baby Fisk
Vicarious or not, last night was every Yankee Haters' dream come true. It was the biggest choke in the history of baseball. From game 4 to the empire's final collapse, their 1-4 bats went ice cold. Flaccid and Impotent, some may say. The billion-dollar pitching blew-up like the Death Star. Oh sweeeeet irony: Esteban Loaiza was the only stud pitcher left standing! This Yankee team is getting older and creakier (Williams, Giambi, Lofton/Sierra, Olerud, Posada) and was unable to step it up to win. A-Rod choked and resorted to tomahawk chops to get on base, then sulked in the dugout the rest of the time...money well spent! Where was the mystique? Where was the curse? No Yankee got a clutch hit in the last 4 games. Sheffield and Matsui were bewildered and useless last night. $25 million worth of pitching gave up 8 runs in 3 innings in a Game Seven. Oh man, I could go on like this all day!

This is a great day for Freedom!

[cue and loop image of Death Star exploding...cue Star Wars finale music]

THE EVIL EMPIRE IS DEAD! LONG LIVE THE REPUBLIC! :bandance:

doublem23
Choke. What the Red Sox accomplished was great, but it never should have happened.

mdep524
10-21-2004, 11:33 AM
I have to call it a comeback. You don't win two extra-inning elimination games because the other team choked.
Even when the other team blew 8th and 9th inning leads in both of those extra inning games?

Justafan
10-21-2004, 11:42 AM
The Yankees are the biggest chokers of all time, at least according to this. Fun stuff.
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3096944?GT1=5377

Frankfan4life
10-21-2004, 11:45 AM
biggest choke! GO NL! screw these bastard red cubsWhat he said!

mjharrison72
10-21-2004, 02:42 PM
Even when the other team blew 8th and 9th inning leads in both of those extra inning games?Guess it's just a matter of opinion... that's what I think made the comeback even more spectacular is the Red Sox had their backs against the wall in two games, facing Rivera, who people are calling the best postseason closer ever. Obviously, it took a lot of choking for the Yankees to blow this, but you gotta hand it to Boston, and I still say best comeback ever.

On another note, it was great to see the one Ortiz GW homer come off Loaiza. Say what you will, but I'm SO glad he's not in Chicago anymore.

Fenway
10-21-2004, 03:10 PM
The Yankees site www.nyyfans.com (http://www.nyyfans.com) has the answer :smile:

Paulwny
10-21-2004, 04:16 PM
At the end of the game, Pres. Bush called Hans Blick and informed him that the weapons of mass destruction were in the yankee clubhouse.

mjharrison72
10-22-2004, 01:26 PM
And according to the Sun-Times, it was a Red Sox comeback.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca22.htm

Nick@Nite
10-22-2004, 01:49 PM
Choke. As in Foulke.

batmanZoSo
10-22-2004, 06:56 PM
It does take two to tango, but let's face it, the Red Sox just outplayed them the last four games. The last one, the Yankees were manhandled and seemed tight, but the other three, the Red Sox just wouldn't go down and the Yankees played very well themselves. Hell, if not for that ground rule double in game 5, the Yankees probably would've won the game and the series. The first three Red Sox wins were, if I remember correctly, decided by 1, 2, and 2 runs.

The Yankees did choke and I would call it the biggest choke in baseball history because this has never happened before, but I think the Red Sox comeback outweighs the choking aspect. The Yankees in no way gave it to them. They earned every win.

StillMissOzzie
10-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Well, you do when the greatest closer in the universe blows a save. I voted choke.

SMO
:gulp:

1951Campbell
10-22-2004, 11:13 PM
I voted comeback.

A choke happens quickly. A comeback is a concerted effort. While both of those things were involved here, I think the concerted effort predominates.

The only problem is...comebacks and chokes are ying and yang. Did the Bills come back or did the Oilers choke? Actually, maybe I should have voted "both." Because maybe this is as hard to decide as how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Railsplitter
10-23-2004, 09:46 AM
Biggest choke. Nice to see it happen to the Yankers, though.

p.s. That's no typo, but my preferred term for the boys in the Bronx.

Fenway
10-23-2004, 11:41 AM
http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/jd041021.gif
http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/Mastercard_3.jpg
and in a warehouse in Brooklyn

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/pMLB2-1742989dt.jpg

batmanZoSo
10-23-2004, 10:38 PM
I voted comeback.

A choke happens quickly. A comeback is a concerted effort. While both of those things were involved here, I think the concerted effort predominates.

The only problem is...comebacks and chokes are ying and yang. Did the Bills come back or did the Oilers choke? Actually, maybe I should have voted "both." Because maybe this is as hard to decide as how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

I guess it depends for whom you root.

flo-B-flo
10-24-2004, 06:58 PM
It does take two to tango, but let's face it, the Red Sox just outplayed them the last four games. The last one, the Yankees were manhandled and seemed tight, but the other three, the Red Sox just wouldn't go down and the Yankees played very well themselves. Hell, if not for that ground rule double in game 5, the Yankees probably would've won the game and the series. The first three Red Sox wins were, if I remember correctly, decided by 1, 2, and 2 runs.

The Yankees did choke and I would call it the biggest choke in baseball history because this has never happened before, but I think the Red Sox comeback outweighs the choking aspect. The Yankees in no way gave it to them. They earned every win. I agree with these points. The games were close after the first 3 games. The yanker$- in my mind were thinking- "ah we still got another game to clinch". The trouble with this is the Blosox momentum just snowballed to the point that they got looser and looser as the yanker$ got tighter and tighter. No matter what, I just LOVE when the yanker$ lose! And the look on pay-rods face at the end was priceless.:tongue:

Paulwny
10-26-2004, 01:08 PM
The AMA agrees with some of us. They've just had the universal sign for choking, hands around the throat, changed to the yankee logo. :rolleyes: