PDA

View Full Version : Truth is, White Sox/Flub World Series would dust

Bisco Stu
10-21-2004, 02:06 AM
Skankees/Red Sawx. And if the Sawx win it all this year, their mystique will fade and it'll be about the Sox' curse. Prominence for once, albeit curse laden.

kittle42
10-21-2004, 11:06 AM
No one will ever talk about a White Sox "curse."

First, there is no such thing.

Second, if the Red Sox win, the national (and local) media will only mention it in terms of the Cubs' futitility and ignore the Sox as usual.

mweflen
10-21-2004, 11:15 AM
:reinsy "When people say the word 'curse', why do they keep pointing at me?"

santo=dorf
10-21-2004, 11:31 AM
:reinsy "When people say the word 'curse', why do they keep pointing at me?"The Sox aren't cursed by Reinsdorf, they're ****ed! See?
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2232

kojak
10-21-2004, 11:35 AM

I disagree. I think we have The Black Sox Curse, which really should be named The Charles Comiskey Curse, because had we not been saddled with the worst owner in the history of sports, there never would have been a Black Sox scandal.

But I believe the day will soon come when Ozzie will break that curse.

Of coors, those from the "No Such Things as Curses" school of thought will fire away, but hey, I'm just sayin', that's all...

SOXSINCE'70
10-21-2004, 11:56 AM

Exactly.Read Hal Vickery's WSI column this week.When the
White Sox suck,their fans know where to lay the blame:

- The players
- the inept ownership/mgmt.
- the GM whose hands are tied.

Plain and simple.:angry: :angry: :angry:

mweflen
10-21-2004, 11:58 AM
I disagree. I think we have The Black Sox Curse, which really should be named The Charles Comiskey Curse, because had we not been saddled with the worst owner in the history of sports, there never would have been a Black Sox scandal.

Of coors, those from the "No Such Things as Curses" school of thought will fire away, but hey, I'm just sayin', that's all...
Well, the Comiskey family paid for teams which have won the world series and the pennant. Cheap and underhanded or not, they have results to back them up. Meanwhile, Satan has won us neither, all while practically spitting in fans' faces. I don't think there's much argument for which owner is worse.

Uncle_Patrick
10-21-2004, 12:03 PM

Of coors, those from the "No Such Things as Curses" school of thought will fire away, but hey, I'm just sayin', that's all...A "Black Sox Curse"? Please, let's not promote that notion at all. Charles Comiskey was hardly the worst owner in the history of sports. He put together a good team to win the World Series. Sure, he kept salaries down, but that he wasn't the only owner doing that at the time. Its more than likely that the White Sox weren't the only team throwing games for gamblers, but they were the ones who got caught. I'm not saying the Comiskey was the greatest guy in the world, but no matter how bad anyone thinks he may have been, I'll give you one owner who is worse: Bill Wirtz.

If the White Sox have any curse, its the curse of mediocrity. Its not like we've had balls rolling through first baseman's legs at key moments, fans reaching for foul balls with 5 outs to go, or any other such nonsense that you'd associate with a curse. All we've had are White Sox teams that don't deliver.

I'm so sick of hearing about "curses". Let's face reality. Teams lose because of the way they they are built, the way they play, and the way they are managed, not some stupid curse.

cornball
10-21-2004, 12:34 PM

Second, if the Red Sox win, the national (and local) media will only mention it in terms of the Cubs' futitility and ignore the Sox as usual.

How about an owners curse.

Baby Fisk
10-21-2004, 12:35 PM
If the White Sox have any curse, its the curse of mediocrity. Its not like we've had balls rolling through first baseman's legs at key moments, fans reaching for foul balls with 5 outs to go, or any other such nonsense that you'd associate with a curse. All we've had are White Sox teams that don't deliver.

Bang on, and in a way, the worst kind of curse. Anyone who has seen "Amadeus" will agree that the White Sox are the Salieri of baseball. Doomed to be mediocrities forever.

TommyJohn
10-21-2004, 01:24 PM
Bang on, and in a way, the worst kind of curse. Anyone who has seen "Amadeus" will agree that the White Sox are the Salieri of baseball. Doomed to be mediocrities forever.
The Cubs response:

**high-pitched, ear-splitting giggle**

Baby Fisk
10-21-2004, 01:26 PM
The Cubs response:

**high-pitched, ear-splitting giggle**
Well put. :cool:

Railsplitter
10-23-2004, 10:40 AM
The "Curse of the Babino" is a creation of Boston sportswriter Dan Shaunessy. (sp?), who wrote a book around 1990. There is no evidence the Babe Ruth ever said anything to the effect of "You guys will never win anything again"

Procol Harum
10-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Curses/Schmurses...the only way we're "cursed" is in having JR as an owner.

That point aside, I will contend w/ the thread title's implied original assertion that a Sox-Cubs series would dust a BoSox-Cubs series. In terms of national interest, you're deluding yourself. The fact that the White Sox can't even get their name squeezed into all these national articles and TV features about "cursed" teams (and you would think that the idea of a Black Sox curse would be a natural) only goes to prove how far the Sox are from the national sporting mindset. A Boston-Cubs series not only would pit competing regional/national fan bases against each other, but oceans of hype.

A Sox-Cubs series would be a curiosity, but if it was the first Cubs series appearance since '45 I leave it to your experience and imagination to who would be getting the vast majority of all the ink and video. A SOx-Cubs series would engender more interest than, say, the '85 Cards-Royals match-up, but generally you could expect some pretty dismal ratings outside the Midwest--and it would be all the Cubs fans downstate and in Iowa, and Wisconsin that would be generating most of those numbers. The Sox' long-term media mismanagement and decades on WCFL/WMVP with its signal beamed at the Northeast and Canada are major factors in why our beloved Pale Hose have only a few fans outside the Chicago area and NW Indiana.

All in all, don't kid yourselves, fellow Sox fans, enjoy the heck out of it if we ever get to the Series--but just don't expect the rest of the world to share our sense of wonder.

Baby Fisk
10-25-2004, 01:18 PM
All in all, don't kid yourselves, fellow Sox fans, enjoy the heck out of it if we ever get to the Series--but just don't expect the rest of the world to share our sense of wonder.
The sense of wonder would come from casual viewers going: "***, there's TWO teams from Chicago?! When did they start that?!" :o:

I_Liked_Manuel
10-25-2004, 01:55 PM

charles comiskey was no worse than any other owner of his time. learn your history.

soxnut
10-25-2004, 02:19 PM
The Sox' long-term media mismanagement and decades on WCFL/WMVP with its signal beamed at the Northeast and Canada are major factors in why our beloved Pale Hose have only a few fans outside the Chicago area and NW Indiana. .

This is why I think it is so vitally important that the Sox get on 670am. The Sox need to be heard on a more regional/national level. Hopefully, it would turn in to more Sox fans. We have a wonderful city to visit in the summertime. And if the Sox can generate enough interest via radio on 670am, hopefully it will make people want to come to Chicago and go to White Sox games.

hellenicsoxfan
10-25-2004, 03:31 PM
I'm so sick of hearing about "curses". Let's face reality. Teams lose because of the way they they are built, the way they play, and the way they are managed, not some stupid curse.I agree. I am also sick of hearing about curses and so apparently are Boers and Bernstein ( the only Score guys I can still stomach listening to occasionally). A typical Flubby fan called in crying about the Cub and Red Sox curses. Bernstein had finally had enough and said, "All this talk about curses is just a heap of steaming horse dung." The caller responded, "It's just a mindset" to which Boers and Bernstein said "A mindset for morons!" Couldn't have said it better myself.