PDA

View Full Version : AL Champs

cburns
10-21-2004, 12:38 AM
Boston fans are morons. They act like they havent been to the World Series since 59'. They were at the WS ONLY 20 years ago...I'm sick of the media....

Frankfan4life
10-21-2004, 12:53 AM
No one mentions that anymore because it takes away from the "mystique" of the curse. The curse is all anyone cares about and it has taken on mythical proportions. Even Moronotti calls the Red Sox and Cubs the two most cursed teams in baseball. Ha! The Red Sox have won more World Series than the Sox and Cubs combined.

FightingBillini
10-21-2004, 01:39 AM
Making the World Series is always a huge event. They arent celebrating like mad becuase they got to the world series, they are celebrating so much because they finally beat the Yankees. It wouldnt have been half as sweet for them if they would have pounded the Twins in 4 (which is what would have happened) to reach the series.

This was the single most important game in Red Sox history. Even if they dont win it all, they at least finally beat the Yankees. The trophy total is still 26-5, but this game is vindication for those 26 Yankee Championships. In many people's eyes, and hopefully in the eyes of the media, this effectively ended the "curse". They it will be relegated to ESPN classic. The Red Sox fans as a whole dont embrace the curse like loser Cub fans do. Boston never asked to be cursed, we only know about the curse becuase it has been beaten to death by the New York media and fans. On the otherhand, the Cubs think they are cursed, they talked about it - not a rival team, they think that the curse is charming, and all the more reason to come to beautiful Wrigley Field. "We cant garauntee they will win, hell, they probably wont, but we can garauntee you will drink luke warm Old Styles until you pass out".

doublem23
10-21-2004, 01:43 AM
Even if they dont win it all, they at least finally beat the Yankees. The trophy total is still 26-5, but this game is vindication for those 26 Yankee Championships. In many people's eyes, and hopefully in the eyes of the media, this effectively ended the "curse". They it will be relegated to ESPN classic. The Red Sox fans as a whole dont embrace the curse like loser Cub fans do. Boston never asked to be cursed, we only know about the curse becuase it has been beaten to death by the New York media and fans.
If that's really the case, then it is further proof that Red Sox fans are losers. Secondly, they revel in that curse and the limelight it brings. Red Sox fans, like Cub fans, love to wallow in their own self-pity. They are losers, yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

FightingBillini
10-21-2004, 03:04 AM
It doesnt make them losers that beating the Yankees in the playoffs is a huge accomplisgment. Remember back to 1991 when the Bulls swept the Pistons in the eastern conference finals. Remember the frustration after they slapped us around 2 straight years on their way to titles? Now imgaine our frustration multiplied by 86. And how it felt to finally beat them - multiply that times 86, and then by a MILLION for the Yankees being the most storied franchise, best team ever, more hall of famers, symbol of americana, twenty six world championships, 39 AL pennants, Babe Ruth, Bucky Dent, Aroon Boone, and so on. This frustration of not being able to beat the Yankees had been building since 1918, so its not hard for me to understand why they are dancing in the streets in Boston.

From what people on this board say, people who had been to Boston, they are a passionate baseball town. There are knowledgable, die-hard fans. They would punch you out if you went into a Boston bar and mentioned the curse. Then there are the poser, loser, trendy "baseball is cool, its cool to be a red Sox fan" fans like those vermin who infest the north side. They think the curse is cute. They make shirts saying "reverse the curse". And I hold the biggest difference between the Cubs and Red Sox is that the Cubs love their adborable curse, while the Boston one has been hanging over their heads for years and years, being rubbed in their faces by New York fans and the national media, and then it being rehashed every time somone gave up a late inning homerun or let a ball go between his legs. Boston never asked to be cursed, the Cubs drummed up that curse bs so they could get some attention for themselves in what was a White Sox town, from my understanding.

doublem23
10-21-2004, 03:37 AM
This frustration of not being able to beat the Yankees had been building since 1918, so its not hard for me to understand why they are dancing in the streets in Boston.

Um, they've been the World Series since 1918... A few times, even once in my lifetime. They haven't accomplished **** yet.

ma-gaga
10-21-2004, 08:27 AM
Boston fans are morons. They act like they havent been to the World Series since 59'. They were at the WS ONLY 20 years ago...I'm sick of the media....
They make a comeback after being down 3-0.
Against the Yankees.

Yeah, they are morons, but I'd like to be a Boston moron right now. I can't imagine how good they must feel. I FEEL GREAT, because the NYY are out. Imagine how they must feel.

morons? yeah, but we'd all be so lucky.

cburns
10-21-2004, 08:56 AM
I guess it wasnt the fans as much as the media that angered me so. Just seeing Peter Gammons (the walking 20 dollar bill) grin from ear to ear sickened me. They havent won anything yet, besides the AL pennant

SoxFan78
10-21-2004, 09:03 AM
You have to give Boston credit though. Coming back from 3-0 and winning two straight in yankee stadium is no easy task, especially over your rival.

Yes the media has been feeding this story down our throats (Cards and Astros are playing tonight?), but quit hating against the Red Sox fans, this was a great win for their fans and their orginization, and any true baseball fan can't deny that.

They are getting ready for game one of the World Series on Saturday, the white sox are getting ready for Sox Fest in January.

batmanZoSo
10-21-2004, 09:05 AM

They just made unquestionably the greatest comeback in major league history. The media goes way too far in hyping up this rivalry, but this is totally not one of those times. This is something we'll probably never see again in our lifetimes. Hell, it already took 100 years for a team to come back from 3-0. That kind of a lead was always a sure thing. It seemed literally impossible, but now it doesn't. Just that fact alone makes this series legendary. Then combine it with who was playing and where it happened. It deserves all the pub it's gonna get now.

Lip Man 1
10-21-2004, 12:35 PM
Cburns says: "They havent won anything yet, besides the AL pennant."

Which the White Sox last won when?

I'd give my right arm to 'just' win a pennant.

Lip

Fenway
10-21-2004, 02:52 PM
This was all about beating the Evil Empire. This almost makes up for 1949, 1978, 1999 and 2003.

The crap we have put up from Yankees fans over the years is over the top.

Another thing to consider. We here in Boston want to WIN a damn series, not just be in one.

Iwritecode
10-21-2004, 03:04 PM
Another thing to consider. We here in Boston want to WIN a damn series, not just be in one.

We've been waiting longer. :tongue:

bafiarocks03
10-21-2004, 03:09 PM
OH YEA!! GO BOSTON!! WOOOHOOO!!!!

cburns
10-21-2004, 03:14 PM
I'm not saying what the Bo Sox did wasn't amazing. I loved watching the games, and I'm glad they won. What bugged me the most was seeing how the media treated the whole thing. They acted like they won the World Series, and now the World Series is gonna be a huge let down because of how hyped up the Bo Sox-Yanks Series was (it lived up to the hype).

idseer
10-21-2004, 03:25 PM
I'm not saying what the Bo Sox did wasn't amazing. I loved watching the games, and I'm glad they won. What bugged me the most was seeing how the media treated the whole thing. They acted like they won the World Series, and now the World Series is gonna be a huge let down because of how hyped up the Bo Sox-Yanks Series was (it lived up to the hype).
the media did what they always do. they want every series to be like the world series. it's called making money. don't blame boston because of that.

DSpivack
10-21-2004, 03:28 PM
No matter what happens in the Series, I don't think Boston can truly be let down. No, they did not win the World Series. And, yes, they "just" made it. But, you know what? It's not that are just in the Series, it's HOW they made it.

Think about it. Imagine for a moment if the Cubs and Sox, Cubs and Cardinals, Sox and Twins, whatever, are playing each other in the LCS (even if the first one is across leagues). Then imagine one team takes a 3-0 lead, by winning the way the Yanks did. Then imagine coming back, winning the way the Carmines did.

The media often overhypes the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry; they said that this is the greatest comeback in MLB history. It might not be #1, but this time they CAN say that. For once it is not overblown hype, but truly great sports.

Although, all the pub that the ALCS has gotten has somewhat underminded the great NLCS we are having.... Back to back walkoff wins! Roger Clemens in Game 7!

Go Cardinals.

cburns
10-21-2004, 03:34 PM
I guess I didn't choose the right words for my initial post. I shouldn't of called Boston fans morons, when I was so mad at Peter Gammons. I hated that grin of his last night when he was interviewing the players. I also feel bad in a way for the NLCS. It hasn't got the attention it has deserved, but at least they are the only game tonight, hopefully it's a good one.

Fenway
10-21-2004, 03:43 PM
The NLCS did get screwed but everything went against them.

Game 4 was SUPPOSED to be in prime time but was swapped with the Boston game when FOX asked because of a possible conflict with Patriots/Seahawks. Fox was terrified the Pats game would run late and then what would they do in the Boston market? Moving either game to FX was not an option in the home market.

Monday....the game in Boston ran a little past 8 PM :rolleyes: