PDA

View Full Version : An Issue Worth Considering

RKMeibalane
10-20-2004, 11:19 PM
Now that the Boston Red Sox have reached the World Series, they will be traveling to a National League park for Games 3-5. As everyone knows, there is no DH under National League rules. David Ortiz, the Red Sox most consistent performer in this post-season, and an MVP candidate, is the team's designated hitter. Ortiz does not play the field often, but he is a first baseman by trade. My question for the rest of you is, will Terry Francona start Ortiz at first base for those games, or will he follow in the footsteps of a former Major League mananger and keep one of his best players on the bench. I think you all know what I'm referring to.

:jerry

"I can't imagine any reason short of an emergency for playing (you-know-who) at first base."

idseer
10-20-2004, 11:27 PM
Now that the Boston Red Sox have reached the World Series, they will be traveling to a National League park for Games 3-5. As everyone knows, there is no DH under National League rules. David Ortiz, the Red Sox most consistent performer in this post-season, and an MVP candidate, is the team's designated hitter. Ortiz does not play the field often, but he is a first baseman by trade. My question for the rest of you is, will Terry Francona start Ortiz at first base for those games, or will he follow in the footsteps of a former Major League mananger and keep one of his best players on the bench. I think you all know what I'm referring to.

"I can't imagine any reason short of an emergency for playing (you-know-who) at first base."
jm was NEVER a major league manager.

nitetrain8601
10-20-2004, 11:47 PM
Ortiz is starting at first base in those games. No question.

batmanZoSo
10-20-2004, 11:50 PM

I thought you were hinting at Ortiz being the next Bill Buckner. They have an excellent replacement in Mientkiewica behind him...

There's no way in godforsaken hell you sit Ortiz. Mient. should only come in as a pinch hitter or maybe in ninth innings when it's really close. But still even then you risk the other team tying it up and you go into extras without Ortiz. Has Manny done ANYTHING this post season? Hell, I'd sit him and put Ortiz in left before I benched Ortiz because of his defense.

balke
10-21-2004, 12:15 AM
ManRAM in left, Ortiz at first. Houston's pitching would steamroll them in home games. They better hope they get the Cards.

silhouette
10-21-2004, 12:23 AM
ManRAM in left, Ortiz at first. Houston's pitching would steamroll them in home games. They better hope they get the Cards.
I agree, keep Ortiz at first. His bat should prevent any "Buckner-like" errors playing any role in the World Series.

Congratulations to the Red Sox, you finally beat the Yank-mes.