PDA

View Full Version : I would ask for a refund

zach23
10-20-2004, 09:13 PM
$15 million for Kevin Brown and $9 million for Vazquez and that was the best they could do in a big game situation?
:rolling:
It almost looks like Steinbrenner spent $24 million for Garland and Danny Wright.

Kuzman
10-20-2004, 09:16 PM
the perverbial wolf in sheeps clothing, looked nice on the outside but a total nightmare waiting to happen... my uncle told me that when they signed brown.

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-20-2004, 09:20 PM
Yep. You know it's bad when the Yankees best starter is Jon Lieber... sheesh! These guys should be arrested for robbery.

row18
10-20-2004, 09:21 PM
Right on, what a waste on money. If I'm wrong correct me, but isn't Boston letting Lowe go after the season? (Maybe not any more)

samram
10-20-2004, 09:26 PM
$15 million for Kevin Brown and $9 million for Vazquez and that was the best they could do in a big game situation?
It almost looks like Steinbrenner spent $24 million for Garland and Danny Wright.
The difference is that Garland doesn't melt down until the fourth inning. These two guys seemed pretty anxious to get to the sucking as fast as they could.

Etownsox13
10-20-2004, 11:47 PM

The difference is that Garland and Wright could never pitch a team to the post-season

Soxzilla
10-21-2004, 12:04 AM
The best part was when Loaiza pitched four innings of scoreless relief.

Maybe they'll resign him now!:bandance:

Huisj
10-21-2004, 12:10 AM
the perverbial wolf in sheeps clothing, looked nice on the outside but a total nightmare waiting to happen... my uncle told me that when they signed brown.Or maybe for the sake of a baseball analogy, it should be more like a sheep in wolfs clothing. They look at tough and ready on the outside, but when they are called on in the fight, they are slaughtered.

balke
10-21-2004, 12:29 AM
It all makes me respect consistant pitchers that much more. Clemens, Johnson, Schilling. Dominance is tough to come by.

Mussina was good in the postseason, but not lights out as in the past. And to be honest, the Yanks Pitching staff looked great coming in to the season. They just didn't produce.

I'd be so bold to say the hitters choked more in the post. There were some close games before this blowout, that the Yanks lineup of all-stars should've been able to overcome.

Sheffield
A-rod
Jeter
Matsui
Posada
Bernie WIlliams
Olerud

Sure they looked better with Giambi... but man that's a lineup that should produce more.

ma-gaga
10-21-2004, 08:31 AM
I'd be so bold to say the hitters choked more in the post. There were some close games before this blowout, that the Yanks lineup of all-stars should've been able to overcome.
Olerud

Good pitching beats good hitting every time. I was shocked that the Yankees got past the first round with that crappy starting staff.

Jon Olerud? Offensive force? Yeah, in 1994.

chuckn98229
10-21-2004, 08:42 AM
Let's see - A-Rod signs a huge contract with a losing team, then whines that he wants to play in a World Series, then MLB moves mountains to kiss his butt and get him on the yankees - ahh, there is a little justice left in this world.

zach23
10-21-2004, 09:05 AM
The difference is that Garland and Wright could never pitch a team to the post-season

I think the Yankees made it more because of their offense than they did because of Brown and Vazquez. Vazquez had 14 wins with a 4.91 ERA, I would bet Garland with his 4.89 ERA could have matched those wins with that Yankee offense to help. He managed 12 with the Sox offense slumping for a long time this year. Vazquez looked scared out there during the ALCS games. When you pay a guy $9 million, you expect him to have some confidence in big games.

Brown won only 10 games with a 4.09 ERA, then imploded in the postseason. The Yankees really didn't get much for the $15 million they gave him.

kittle42
10-21-2004, 10:13 AM
:reinsy
"I love this thread."

mdep524
10-21-2004, 11:19 AM
Vazquez had 14 wins with a 4.91 ERA, I would bet Garland with his 4.89 ERA could have matched those wins with that Yankee offense to help. He managed 12 with the Sox offense slumping for a long time this year. Vazquez looked scared out there during the ALCS games. When you pay a guy $9 million, you expect him to have some confidence in big games.
Maybe this will convince The Boss, in his blind rage, to dump Vazquez. A smart KW might be able to pick the guy up at a huge discount. The guy had a piss poor second half and playoffs. but remember how he dominated last year and the first half of this year? He's a stud. I could see this being a Keith Foulke 2002 situation.

Maybe we could even give them that piece of garbage Contreras back in the deal.

Lip Man 1
10-21-2004, 12:32 PM
Ummmm...correct me if I'm worng but....

The Yankees finished three games ahead of Boston to win the division in the regular season.

Without Brown and Vasquez they don't beat the Red Sox and maybe don't even win the wild card to get to the playoffs in the first place.

Vasquez is a very good pitcher... some folks need time to adjust to New York, especially when you played with Montreal. I'd take him for the White Sox in a heartbeat.

Lip