PDA

View Full Version : MLB signs with XM Radio

Fenway
10-20-2004, 02:54 PM
Yahoo!!!!!
XM Satellite Radio, baseball in $650 million, 11-year deal

NEW YORK -- XM Satellite Radio will carry major league baseball games under a $650 million, 11-year deal announced Wednesday, the latest move in a costly race with rival Sirius Satellite Radio to sign personalities and sports leagues as a way of winning customers.

Starting with 2005 preseason play, XM will broadcast every major league game live. Some games will be broadcast in Spanish.

XM also said its new Major League Baseball Channel will broadcast 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The channel will feature new content and rebroadcasts of classic games.

''This is the crown jewel the deal that we've been waiting for,'' said Hugh Panero, CEO of Washington-based XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc.

Justafan
10-20-2004, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I saw that in the papers this morning. Great news to say the least for all of us XM customers.:smile:

Clembasbal
10-20-2004, 03:09 PM
IS sirius different than XM?

What id the difference if there is one?

Fenway
10-20-2004, 03:11 PM

totally different

like VHS and Beta, DirectTV and Dish

doublem23
10-20-2004, 03:15 PM

They are different companies, if I am not mistaken.

Wow... How much does an XM subscription cost? It is looking pretty likely that i will be in Peoria all summer and WMVP does not come in too well down here, and with the Sox moving to Comcast Sports Net, I don't even know if I can get many of the games down here.

Uncle_Patrick
10-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Damn...and Stern is moving to Sirius. So many choices in life....

whtsx1959
10-20-2004, 08:48 PM
finally my XM is worth something, I was so mad when I found out Sirius had the NFL games, but now I don't care cuz I get every spring training game, but really I'm excited for listening to Twins games after the sox games.

Rocklive99
10-28-2004, 09:48 PM
They are different companies, if I am not mistaken.

Wow... How much does an XM subscription cost? It is looking pretty likely that i will be in Peoria all summer and WMVP does not come in too well down here, and with the Sox moving to Comcast Sports Net, I don't even know if I can get many of the games down here.
$10 a month (All MLB service is included in the basic monthly fee :) ). I am really considering this now, I am real sick of regular radio right now, and am listening to the XM online stream and am liking it.

Soxzilla
10-28-2004, 10:00 PM
XM is booming while Sirius is fleldgling (sp?), that is the difference ... oh yeah, the fact that XM is 3 buck cheaper a month ... and the fact mlb will be free. Whereas, if you want those nifty things Sirius offers, like NFL and Stern, you'll have to pay a premium.

bigfoot
10-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Now the REAL question......With XM or Sirius, are there still the never-ending supply of commercials, or do you pay and still have to listen to the inane crap for 13 of each 30 minutes? Are the music stations different from the talk/sports stations, in this regard?

MUsoxfan
10-29-2004, 03:53 PM
if you want those nifty things Sirius offers, like NFL and Stern, you'll have to pay a premium.

I'm gonna end up getting Sirius because of Stern. While I'm not sure about the NFL, I know there will not be a premium for Stern.

Soxzilla
10-29-2004, 06:44 PM
Now the REAL question......With XM or Sirius, are there still the never-ending supply of commercials, or do you pay and still have to listen to the inane crap for 13 of each 30 minutes? Are the music stations different from the talk/sports stations, in this regard?
There are no commercials on the music stations, and certain ones are uncensored.

I heard stern would be a premium.

balke
10-29-2004, 08:41 PM
where'd you hear this about premium on Sirius? I get all NFL for free. IT's on just about every channel, there's no way you couldn't. From what I know, XM is the only one with a pay channel, and I heard they are the ones that will be adding premiums.

Sucks baseball is going to XM, I like my Sirius. They have been taking over, cause Clearwater had their heads up their arses for XM. Sirius isn't anywhere near the toilet, in fact, the big boom for them has just started.

Brian26
10-29-2004, 09:10 PM
How exactly does the satellite radio work? You can hook it up to a car radio or to a stereo in your house, right?

Is there a way to make it portable, and take it on a long walk or listen to it on the train with a walkman???

balke
10-29-2004, 09:28 PM
You can take it in your house, and buy a home attachment kit, and just snap the reciever out of your car, and hook-it up inside. The car would have a stand for the reciever, as well as your house. So you'd just be moving the reciever.

You can either have your radio installed in your car, or go the cheap route like I did, and just put the reciever in your car, and the radio tunes to your car radio on an FM dial. 88.something

I think the Ipod's are the things that you can use in your walkman. I believe they are download devices that you load music into, and take it anywhere you want. But perhaps there is a radio to them as well, I don't know. Anybody else know?

Rocklive99
10-29-2004, 11:47 PM
XM is $9.99 a month (With Playboy and Opie + Anthony being the only premium channels, that cost like $2 extra)
Sirius is $12.99 a month, but offer other payment options, like pay one big fee in advance, and never pay again.

I've been listening to both with 3 free day trials off their websites ( http://www.xmradio.com and http://www.sirius.com ) and I have to say I like the music they play on Sirius better, a lot of the XM stuff is a little dated and mostly stuff I haven't heard, but they also only let you hear some of their channels, so maybe there's better stuff I'm not hearing.

The advantage XM would have with me is definately MLB. I think Sirius has NBA? That would be nice for me too. The comedy channels on XM have had me on the floor, I'm sure the Sirius ones are similar, but they aren't included in the free preview (all you hear is a 20 sec summary of the station)

This is a site that compares them http://www.xmorsirius.com/ . Some things that they have added: Sirius added a Maxim channel (men talk), an exclusive Eminem channel (for you rap fans, I guess his Djs will be on it, and he can put his unreleased stuff straight on here), and of course the Stern stuff. XM's big news was MLB. They're rumored to have new channels coming soon. This portable version of satellite radio/personal radio they have now looks cool too http://www.xmradio.com/myfi/index.jsp . This is going to be a tough choice. I'm def going to listen to both during the 3 day trials they gave me. One thing is for sure after listening though, they both kill FM/AM radio.

Brian26
10-30-2004, 09:37 AM
This portable version of satellite radio/personal radio they have now looks cool too http://www.xmradio.com/myfi/index.jsp .
This is exactly what I was asking about in my previous post. That thing looks incredible. Too bad the battery doesn't last longer than 5 hours. Still, it's impressive looking.