PDA

View Full Version : Dye

NonetheLoaiza
10-20-2004, 02:11 PM
Is Dye worth the investment? He has injury problems, obviously, but if he were to stay healthy, he wouldn't be a bad choice for hitter-friendly Comiskey. He was scheduled to make 14m last year with the option the A's didn't pick up. If he could be had for less than 10m, it may be worth a shot. However, teams like the Cubs and Mets may drive up that price a bit.

Just an idea...

Jjav829
10-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Is Dye worth the investment? He has injury problems, obviously, but if he were to stay healthy, he wouldn't be a bad choice for hitter-friendly Comiskey. He was scheduled to make 14m last year with the option the A's didn't pick up. If he could be had for less than 10m, it may be worth a shot. However, teams like the Cubs and Mets may drive up that price a bit.

Just an idea...
Not a bad idea, but there is no way in hell any team is going to pay Jermaine Dye $10 million a year. Yeah, he's another slow station-to-station type hitter so he doesn't provide anything new, but he'd be a decent replacement for Magglio if the price is right. I wouldn't pay him anything over $5 million unless it is incentive-based.

hitlesswonder
10-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Not a bad idea, but there is no way in hell any team is going to pay Jermaine Dye $10 million a year. Yeah, he's another slow station-to-station type hitter so he doesn't provide anything new, but he'd be a decent replacement for Magglio if the price is right. I wouldn't pay him anything over $5 million unless it is incentive-based.
I think 5 million would really be overpaying. He was very good, but he just can't seem to stay healthy, and his numbers last year were .265/.329/.793 for BA/OBP/OPS. His numbers for 2003 and 2002 were worse. I don't like the idea of a corner outfielder who has below an .800 OPS (granted he was just below that). I think he and Everett are probably comparable players (Dye is probably better on D, but he's not as fast as he used to be), and the Sox are already on the hook to Everett for 4 million. I don't see a reason to spend millions on Dye and sit Everett. The money could be used better elsewhere. If the Sox do need an OF next season becuase Everett is the DH, I'd rather they give someone young a shot.

Jjav829
10-20-2004, 03:12 PM
I think 5 million would really be overpaying. He was very good, but he just can't seem to stay healthy, and his numbers last year were .265/.329/.793 for BA/OBP/OPS. His numbers for 2003 and 2002 were worse. I don't like the idea of a corner outfielder who has below an .800 OPS (granted he was just below that). I think he and Everett are probably comparable players (Dye is probably better on D, but he's not as fast as he used to be), and the Sox are already on the hook to Everett for 4 million. I don't see a reason to spend millions on Dye and sit Everett. The money could be used better elsewhere. If the Sox do need an OF next season becuase Everett is the DH, I'd rather they give someone young a shot.I would agree with that. I don't know if I'd even pay him $5 million, but that would be the top dollar I'd consider. I think $3 million would be a fair figure for him. I think the Everett comparison is pretty accurate, though Dye is a better fielder than Everett. Otherwise, I would agree that we'd be better off going with a younger OF or Everett.

GAsoxfan
10-21-2004, 11:55 AM
If Everett is the starting RF for the Sox next year, we're in trouble. I can't believe people are even considering having Everett as an everyday RF. He's not even close to the player he used to be.

hitlesswonder
10-21-2004, 12:09 PM
If Everett is the starting RF for the Sox next year, we're in trouble. I can't believe people are even considering having Everett as an everyday RF. He's not even close to the player he used to be.
I don't particularly like Everett, I was just saying Dye wouldn't be a big improvement. I think the Sox are seriously considering starting him in RF next year, it's not my choice. I'd like a much better RF, but the Sox are on the hook for 4 million. I have a hard time believing they'll just keep him on the bench. What I saw from of him last year didn't look good, particularly in the field. And if he really did tell the Twins first baseman the Sox just "didn't have it" back in 2003, I can't understand why the Sox brought him back. For a supposed "grinder", that comment shows a remarkable lack of fight.

hold2dibber
10-21-2004, 04:44 PM
I don't know how you can say that with such certainty. He wasn't very good in '04, but he was hurt and out of shape. If (as he's promised) he comes to camp in shape and injury free next year, there's no reason to think he won't put up respectable numbers (.280 avg., 20-25 HRs, 80 RBIs). It's not like the guy is 40 years old and he's only one year removed from a stand-out season.

kittle42
10-21-2004, 05:00 PM
If by "people" you mean KW and JR, then you are right!

jabrch
10-21-2004, 05:00 PM
I don't care for Carl much - but we don't have a huge choice in the matter. He took his option - so he is here. If we are paying someone 4mm, they better be starting for us. It's not optimal - but we need to make the best of it. Assuming Gload or PK DH, Everett has to play RF by default. He surely can't play LF or CF.

If putting him out in RF enables us to spend more money on a guy like Rentiria along with a front of the rotation starter, then I'm all for it.

eshunn2001
10-21-2004, 05:38 PM

Just an idea...
NO