PDA

View Full Version : Sox Radio rights in New Media Collum by Rory Spears.

Grobber33
10-20-2004, 12:46 AM
Thought you'd all be interested in a new Wednesday Media Collum on my site being done each week by WJJG's Rory Spears. Today,he's talking about the White Sox(and Bulls)Radio deal that is coming to an end and about which Station may get them. www.grobber.com (http://www.grobber.com/) home page. He doesn't pull any punches!!

DrCrawdad
10-20-2004, 01:25 AM
Thought you'd all be interested in a new Wednesday Media Collum on my site being done each week by WJJG's Rory Spears. Today,he's talking about the White Sox(and Bulls)Radio deal that is coming to an end and about which Station may get them. www.grobber.com (http://www.grobber.com/) home page. He doesn't pull any punches!!

Very interesting!

hose
10-20-2004, 07:16 AM
But if there is one thing Chicago sports fans shouldn't forget before they decide if they want the White Sox and the Bulls on their favorite station. According to the latest ratings,Reinsdorf didn't appear on WGN or ESPN radio this summer and their ratings are up. Reinsdorf did appear on the Score this summer, the Score's ratings took a nose dive.

Les you lost me here with this nonsense at the end.

samram
10-20-2004, 08:26 AM
Yeah, that's the old "correlation does not necessarily imply causation" thing.

wdelaney72
10-20-2004, 09:08 AM
While I found this to be an interesting and entertaining story, it really doesn't make any difference where the games are broadcasted.

If I were JR, and was receiving a large amount of money on a signed contract, I woud hesitate to give some of it up, if asked.

JR will get a deal done somewhere. The games will be heard. Life will go on. It is kind of a funny, stupid little soap opera, though.

santo=dorf
10-20-2004, 09:31 AM
Just more ammo for Hangar I guess. :smile:

duke of dorwood
10-20-2004, 09:35 AM
He actually may make more by splitting the teams up to different stations.

Cudos to AM 1000 for putting him in his place-

thepaulbowski
10-20-2004, 12:21 PM

What will AM 1000 do without the Bulls & Sox. Maybe they will pick up more local college games to fill the void.

Without the Bulls & Sox, it will all be programming straight out of Bristol, CT at night. Probably a slow death then.

Kogs35
10-20-2004, 01:33 PM
What will AM 1000 do without the Bulls & Sox. Maybe they will pick up more local college games to fill the void.

Without the Bulls & Sox, it will all be programming straight out of Bristol, CT at night. Probably a slow death then.
your exactly right.

wdelaney72
10-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Hey Duke of Dorwood,

I know this is off topic, and probably a question that has been asked numerous times, but who are the three bombshells in your signature??

Awfully good.

RichFitztightly
10-20-2004, 01:44 PM
After bathing in red ink for a long time the new folks at ESPN decided to meet with Reinsdorf and try to arrange for a little relief from this contract they inherited. According to one source with first hand knowledge of how this meeting went, when Reinsdorf was asked if he could take a little less money, he simply leaned back in his big chair took a puff from his cigar. Then he blew some smoke in the direction of the ESPN people,smiled and simply answered "NO".
Well, this is a huge tangent, but in dealing with Eddie Robinson of the Bulls, now the Chairman knows what those MVP bosses feel like. What comes around goes around.

Linky (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/arvia/x20-ard1.htm)

soxwon
10-20-2004, 05:47 PM
i hear we are going to WGN, or the new WIND 560

Grobber33
10-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Les you lost me here with this nonsense at the end.It was'nt me,,,it's my site,but that collum is by Rory Spears. (as mentioned in the byline).

Also,nobody is blaming Jerry Reinsdorf for not giving back money. The blame goes to Jim DeCastro who was a moron when he signed the deal he did. Of course,he's a moron all the way to the bank and back several million times over!!! He's not the one losing the money,but he did something that caused one Station to fold after losing tons of bread,and costing some 45 people their jobs.

Jerome
10-20-2004, 11:42 PM
I really hope MVP sticks with the Bulls. Carmen DiFalco does a very entertaining postgame rant and unlike Willsy (who I love don't get me wrong) sugarcoats nothing and last year just verbally raped the Bulls for not playing defense, not hustling, rebounding, etc. Then When Norm comes on for a tag team, the Bulls post game is way more entertaing than the game.

And John Rooney is the best. If the Sox switched stations, he would be retained, right?

wdelaney72
10-21-2004, 09:46 AM
It was'nt me,,,it's my site,but that collum is by Rory Spears. (as mentioned in the byline).

Also,nobody is blaming Jerry Reinsdorf for not giving back money. The blame goes to Jim DeCastro who was a moron when he signed the deal he did. Of course,he's a moron all the way to the bank and back several million times over!!! He's not the one losing the money,but he did something that caused one Station to fold after losing tons of bread,and costing some 45 people their jobs.
Well said, Grobber. Wasn't Jimmy DeCastro also the guy that destroyed Rock 103.5 way back when? I'm not a Mancow fan, but the guy had at the time (and still has) a huge army of listeners. Letting him walk and move to Q101 was a huge mistake. The rest of the 103.5 programming was the best. We've still not had a rock station like that in Chicago since. I seem to remember that name being thrown around when the station went down like to Titanic.

fledgedrallycap
10-21-2004, 01:10 PM
What everyone is failing to remember, and in defense of the old ESPN GM, the Bulls were just coming off a three-peat title run and were probably the most recognizable sport franchise on the planet. I'm not sure when this deal was inked, but if prior 1999; you can't fault the guy too much. They provided a lot of cash to that station during the Bulls run and the Sox are a steady income provider.

As Walter stated, the Sox and Bulls will sign fair deals and life will go on.