PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Red Sox

batmanZoSo
10-19-2004, 10:15 PM
Has a team ever even forced a game 7 after being down 3-0? The Red Sox should win this one (haven't we heard that before) and force the issue.

Typical Red Sox ball would be to win tonight and then blow a lead tomorrow. No way the Yankees (my god, the Yankees) of all people become the first team to blow a 3-0 series lead. No way in hell, right? And if I know the Yankees--like the old Bulls, the Montana 49ers and the Steelers of the 70s--they will look flat for a long time and then wham, they hit the switch and turn it on and find a way to win.

Or, if the Red Sox do win tonight and tomorrow, they'll blow the World Series.

Either way, they sure turned this into a series. And they sure proved my ### wrong. I'll take it though..you can't beat a hard fought playoff series that goes the distance.

Gulp. 4-2 Red Sox now.

idseer
10-19-2004, 10:24 PM
umps just made a great call on arod. glad they had the acorns to do it!

batmanZoSo
10-19-2004, 10:24 PM
My god...this could be their year. The Red Sox get a break. Arod called out like the cheater he his.

But if I know the Red Sox, the next guy will hit a two run homer and nullify the whole thing. :cool:

chisoxmike
10-19-2004, 10:25 PM
The umpires today have made the right calls,

ie- the home run, and a-rod being a ass.

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-19-2004, 10:27 PM
alright-what the hell are you guys talking about. i hate the red sox so much. i give them credit for coming back but i still hate them alot. Im no yankees fan but i just cant root for them

JGarlandrules20
10-19-2004, 10:29 PM
Arod has to resort to cheating....that's really messed up. Let's all knock the ball out of peoples hands and we will all be safe!!!

idseer
10-19-2004, 10:30 PM
The umpires today have made the right calls,

ie- the home run, and a-rod being a ass.but i should add that the 1st base umb made 2 mistakes on that play. first he didn't call arod for the interference ... but worse, he made the 'safe' gesture when in fact arod didn't come within 2 or 3 feet of the bag!
i'm just glad the other umps saw what happened.

GO SOX!

Iguana775
10-19-2004, 10:30 PM
umps just made a great call on arod. glad they had the acorns to do it!
That was an obvious attempt by PayRod to knock the ball out of the glove of Arroyo. I'm glad they got it right.

Go sox!! I hate the Yankmes! :dtroll: :supernana:

Mohoney
10-19-2004, 10:32 PM
What I don't get is how Jeter ends up at 1st and not 2nd. I thought he was already on 2nd when the interference took place.

Does the rule on interference state that the runner is out and all other runners return to their original positions?

Iguana775
10-19-2004, 10:32 PM
but i should add that the 1st base umb made 2 mistakes on that play. first he didn't call arod for the interference ... but worse, he made the 'safe' gesture when in fact arod didn't come within 2 or 3 feet of the bag!

GO SOX!
well, to his credit, he couldnt actually see the play cause Men-whateverhisnameis was blocking his view. but the other call was totally blown.

Iguana775
10-19-2004, 10:34 PM
What I don't get is how Jeter ends up at 1st and not 2nd. I thought he was already on 2nd when the interference took place.

Does the rule on interference state that the runner is out and all other runners return to their original positions?
I thought the Ump said he was at 2nd? guess not. lol. not that i'm complaining.

SomebodyToldMe
10-19-2004, 10:34 PM
Talk all the smack you want about A-Rod. I don't care. I still think that guy is one of the best all around players in the game today.

And nothing will change that. He's been my favorite player since the Mariners. And going to the yanks hasn't changed a thing.

I couldn't help but laugh when he slapped that ball out of his hand. Stupid umps and their conferences. This isn't the nfl with their damn challenges.

Ok. Rant over.

idseer
10-19-2004, 10:39 PM
well, to his credit, he couldnt actually see the play cause Men-whateverhisnameis was blocking his view. but the other call was totally blown.
well .... that was his 3rd mistake imo. we all saw the play develop ... why couldn't the ump? he's got legs for a reason. move your ass so you can see the play!

chisoxmike
10-19-2004, 10:42 PM
These Yankee fans need to calm down. These people area dumb, the umps are making the calls right for god sake!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shut up, stop throwing things on to the field, and watch the game.

idseer
10-19-2004, 10:43 PM
can't tell you how sick it is that they need to line riot police along both foul lines now.

Kuzman
10-19-2004, 10:43 PM
This series has come down to police in riot gear....

i thought our white sox blew our chances on making it to the playoffs..

SomebodyToldMe
10-19-2004, 10:44 PM
All this is because of those stupid moronic Bosox fans throwing foul balls back.

I'm not saying this is right at all. But this is, in my opinion, why Yank fans are throwing balls on the field.

StockdaleForVeep
10-19-2004, 10:45 PM
"Idiot runs on field, Yanks forfeit pennant"

or

"local fan ruins everything"

batmanZoSo
10-19-2004, 10:45 PM
but i should add that the 1st base umb made 2 mistakes on that play. first he didn't call arod for the interference ... but worse, he made the 'safe' gesture when in fact arod didn't come within 2 or 3 feet of the bag!

GO SOX!

Tell me about it. It's beyond belief that it EVER went the Yankees way, even if for only a few moments. Even when the don't get breaks, you can see their lady luck trying to work her magic. This play reminded me of the 99 ALCS when Knoblauch missed the baserunner by at least two feet and the Yanks still got the out. No overturn there.

StockdaleForVeep
10-19-2004, 10:47 PM
Maybe this is a sign, boston wins world series, the second longest world series drought is over

sox are next in line, perhaps they will win and erase the third longest

and the cubs just continue losing

Kuzman
10-19-2004, 10:52 PM
Wonder how Foulke will handle this pressure.. I think he can do it

batmanZoSo
10-19-2004, 10:55 PM

That's what Manuel said.

batmanZoSo
10-19-2004, 10:57 PM
Dlw

StockdaleForVeep
10-19-2004, 10:58 PM
Pressure= matsui walk

now mr yankee is at bat

Kuzman
10-19-2004, 10:58 PM
sierra is mr. clutch for the yanks this season... lets see if hes due NOT to be mr. clutch

batmanZoSo
10-19-2004, 11:06 PM
One swing away.

Ho-lee-####

Kuzman
10-19-2004, 11:10 PM
Game 7 Tommorow Night!!!

batmanZoSo
Hello Game 7.

Start spreadin the newsss (da..da..dadada)...Neeeew York, Newwww Yorrrrrrrrk.

I wish I were a reporter right now.

"So, guys, you're the first team ever to surrender a 3-0 series lead and now face becoming the first team to ever LOSE A SERIES after being up 3-0. Playing in front of your home crowd and the estimated 2.4 billion watching around the globe, I can't begin to fathom the pressure you guys must be feeling right now. Any thoughts?"

chisoxmike
Wow.

dpbyron
10-19-2004, 11:15 PM
Unreal! it is a miracle that they are even in a game 7...

I love Baseball!:bandance:

batmanZoSo
10-19-2004, 11:22 PM
Unreal! it is a miracle that they are even in a game 7...

I love Baseball!:bandance:

First, that's the greatest picture of all time in your sig.

I think we'll be looking back on that ground rule double last night as the big what-if in this series. Had that not bounced over, the Yankees would be in the World Series right now. If I were a Yankee fan I'd be cursing that 3 foot fence right about now.

ma-gaga
10-19-2004, 11:25 PM
think we'll be looking back on that ground rule double last night as the big what-if in this series. Had that not bounced over, the Yankees would be in the World Series right now. If I were a Yankee fan I'd be cursing that 3 foot fence right about now.
The Yankees take and they receive. The same thing happened to the Twins in their series against the Yankees. Hopefully it'll be enough to knock them out of the playoffs.

God I hate A-Rod... I always kind of liked him before this year. Can't stand him now.

idseer
10-19-2004, 11:27 PM
The Yankees take and they receive. The same thing happened to the Twins in their series against the Yankees. Hopefully it'll be enough to knock them out of the playoffs.

God I hate A-Rod... I always kind of liked him before this year. Can't stand him now.
was just about to post the same thing. i was SOOOO pissed at that bit of yankee luck. it would have put them in the hole 2 - 0.

Foulke You
10-19-2004, 11:29 PM
Thank God. What a wonderful thing it would be to see Yankees fans suffer one of the biggest chokes in professional sports. This would be even bigger than the Cubs blowing it last year. Up 3-0 and on cruise control. Lo and behold, we have a game 7. GO RED SOX. Rid the World Series of the Evil Empire.

chisoxmike
10-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Thank God. What a wonderful thing it would be to see Yankees fans suffer one of the biggest chokes in professional sports. This would be even bigger than the Cubs blowing it last year. Up 3-0 and on cruise control. Lo and behold, we have a game 7. GO RED SOX. Rid the World Series of the Evil Empire.

Couldn't said it better myself. Yankees are in a panic right now, kick 'em while they are down! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

batmanZoSo
10-19-2004, 11:35 PM

Imagine that. The Yanks pull of the biggest choke in pro sports history (although a blown 3-0 lead did happen once in hockey, but hockey doesn't count). Maybe it will change everything with the Yankees. Maybe...

idseer
10-19-2004, 11:37 PM
i've always liked him too, but i didn't like what he did tonight. maybe it was instinct that made him swat at the ball, but it was a poor instinct. but what was worse was after the umps called him out he reacted as if he'd really not done it. a man would have lowered his head and run off the field, not try to pretend it never happened. pretty pitiful, alex.

hitlesswonder
10-19-2004, 11:38 PM
Wonder how Foulke will handle this pressure.. I think he can do itI wonder if the last 3 nights will convince anyone that Foulke doesn't always choke in big games. I think he's performed pretty well under pressure with not much rest. Probably he'll blow game 7 and there'll be a bunch of threads about how he always folds, but I think he's a very good closer (his stats over the past 5 years or so have to be among the best in MLB). My suspicion is that fans of almost every team think their closer chokes in big games, because sooner or later everyone does blow some important saves and dramatic failures are always very memorable.

Jjav829
This is just amazing stuff. These past few games have been so fun to watch and now we have a game 7. Wow...

I was glad to see the umps get the calls right. The Bellhorn home run call seemed obvious when I saw it happen, so I'm glad to see that the umps did get it right.

doublem23
a man would have lowered his head and run off the field, not try to pretend it never happened. pretty pitiful, alex.
He's getting paid $20 million a year to win, not be a gentleman.

mike squires
10-19-2004, 11:39 PM
What a series this is. It is so interesting. Veritek unable to catch those knuckleballs last night and looking like a little league catcher...Schilling and his Britt Burns like performance tonight...5 and 6 hour games. I could feel my pulse during this game. I dislike both teams but I gotta be going for the Red Sox tomorrow night. That being said, I just don't see Boston winning 4 in a row. The Yanks always seem to find a way. I may just have to dig my Boston cap out of the closet!

idseer
10-19-2004, 11:40 PM
He's getting paid $20 million a year to win, not be a gentleman.
he's getting $20 mil to play a SPORT! NOT to win at any cost. at least that's the way i'd LIKE to think it should go.

Jjav829
10-19-2004, 11:42 PM
i've always liked him too, but i didn't like what he did tonight. maybe it was instinct that made him swat at the ball, but it was a poor instinct. but what was worse was after the umps called him out he reacted as if he'd really not done it. a man would have lowered his head and run off the field, not try to pretend it never happened. pretty pitiful, alex.
Give me a break. Your probably the only person that would have done that, and I'm not so sure you would have lowered your head and ran off the field, regardless of what you say. That's purely emotion taking over out there, and I'm sure Arod probably didn't fully realize what he did. A huge play at a critical moment of the game, your damn right I'm gonna say whatever I can say to the umps to try to convince them that I am right.

Jjav829
10-19-2004, 11:45 PM
What a series this is. It is so interesting. Veritek unable to catch those knuckleballs last night and looking like a little league catcher...Schilling and his Britt Burns like performance tonight...5 and 6 hour games. I could feel my pulse during this game. I dislike both teams but I gotta be going for the Red Sox tomorrow night. That being said, I just don't see Boston winning 4 in a row. The Yanks always seem to find a way. I may just have to dig my Boston cap out of the closet!
Schilling's performance tonight was truly spectacular. Was anyone really surprised by it? Granted I didn't know he'd go 7 innings allowing just one run, but I figured that there was a good chance he'd be impressive out there, injury or no injury. The man has a huge heart and some giant stones out there. Congrats on an excellent outing, Curt!

doublem23
10-19-2004, 11:45 PM
he's getting $20 mil to play a SPORT! NOT to win at any cost. at least that's the way i'd LIKE to think it should go.
Major League Baseball is a business first, and a sport second.

idseer
10-19-2004, 11:49 PM
Give me a break. Your probably the only person that would have done that, and I'm not so sure you would have lowered your head and ran off the field, regardless of what you say. That's purely emotion taking over out there, and I'm sure Arod probably didn't fully realize what he did. A huge play at a critical moment of the game, your damn right I'm gonna say whatever I can say to the umps to try to convince them that I am right.spoken as one whom i presume would do what arod did.
i disagree and believe many here and on the field would have reacted quite differently.

beckett21
10-19-2004, 11:50 PM
What a series this is... I dislike both teams but I gotta be going for the Red Sox tomorrow night. Couldn't agree more.

For a series in which I had absoultely no interest whatsoever, it sure has been fun to watch. I went into it not rooting for either team, but instinctually I have found myself rooting for the Red Sox. There is just something inherently wrong with rooting for the Yankees, and my mind is just not capable of doing it.

Wrong Sox, but anything is better than the Yankees.

Jjav829
10-19-2004, 11:55 PM
spoken as one whom i presume would do what arod did.
i disagree and believe many here and on the field would have reacted quite differently.You're damn right I would have did what Arod did, and I'm also quite sure that had Arod just tucked his head and trotted back to the dugout, there would be 24 other players in that dugout who thought less of him. Arguing in that situation is not necessarily about whether you know what you did or not, or whether you believe the right call was made or not. It's about standing up for yourself and your team. It's about showing both the umpires and your team that your not gonna be pushed around by the umps. Maybe Arod didn't exactly earn more respect from any of his teammates for his actions (and he probably didn't), but I'm damn positive that had he acted in the way you suggested, he would have lost quite a bit of respect from his teammates.

RichFitztightly
10-19-2004, 11:56 PM
Maybe this is a sign, boston wins world series, the second longest world series drought is over

sox are next in line, perhaps they will win and erase the third longest

and the cubs just continue losing
Umm... Unless I'm missing something I think you're wrong here. The White Sox have the second longest World Series drought. The Red Sox are third.

Red Sox -- 1918
White Sox -- 1917
Cubs -- 1908?

FarWestChicago
10-19-2004, 11:56 PM
I wonder if the last 3 nights will convince anyone that Foulke doesn't always choke in big games. I think he's performed pretty well under pressure with not much rest. Probably he'll blow game 7 and there'll be a bunch of threads about how he always folds, but I think he's a very good closer (his stats over the past 5 years or so have to be among the best in MLB). My suspicion is that fans of almost every team think their closer chokes in big games, because sooner or later everyone does blow some important saves and dramatic failures are always very memorable.LOL!!! Pre-emptive FOBB'ing. What will they think of next. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

idseer
10-20-2004, 12:09 AM
You're damn right I would have did what Arod did, and I'm also quite sure that had Arod just tucked his head and trotted back to the dugout, there would be 24 other players in that dugout who thought less of him. Arguing in that situation is not necessarily about whether you know what you did or not, or whether you believe the right call was made or not. It's about standing up for yourself and your team. It's about showing both the umpires and your team that your not gonna be pushed around by the umps. Maybe Arod didn't exactly earn more respect from any of his teammates for his actions (and he probably didn't), but I'm damn positive that had he acted in the way you suggested, he would have lost quite a bit of respect from his teammates.
so you're of the opinion that fairness has no place in baseball (or any other sport) and whatever you can get away with you should do.
and just how is the umpires making the correct call being "pushed around'?

frankly i think it's a show of poor sportsmanship (which i guess you don't believe in) to not admit you screwed up. i am aware that 'sportsmanship' is looked down on by some a show of weakness or 'lack of fire' but frankly i think that's crap. your thinking is exactly what is wrong with athletes. winning is all that matters, all that counts and you'll lie, steal, cheat, or whatever it takes to win.

if i thought everyone actually felt that way i'd never watch another 'sport' in my life!

hitlesswonder
10-20-2004, 12:17 AM
LOL!!! Pre-emptive FOBB'ing. What will they think of next. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
OK, I guess I don't get it. If FOBB means "friend of Billy Beane", I didn't mention him in the post at all (and I've never read Moneyball and don't really have an opinion about how good or bad a GM he is). But if anything, Foulke could be considered an indictment of BB's philosophy that closers are easy to find. He didn't think Foulke was worth the money to keep, signed Arthur Rhodes instead and as a result didn't make the playoffs this year.

I was just pointing out that I think Foulke is a pretty good closer, and that I think it's interesting that many posters here seem to regard him as a choke artist. I don't think his record shows him to be that more so than most established closers. As for the "pre-emptive" part, I think being a Sox fan has led to a pessimistic streak that made me think Foulke will probably implode in game 7 and make my post look silly (or sillier, depending on your point of view).

idseer
10-20-2004, 12:20 AM
OK, I guess I don't get it. If FOBB means "friend of Billy Beane", I didn't mention him in the post at all (and I've never read Moneyball and don't really have an opinion about how good or bad a GM he is). But if anything, Foulke could be considered an indictment of BB's philosophy that closers are easy to find. He didn't think Foulke was worth the money to keep, signed Arthur Rhodes instead and as a result didn't make the playoffs this year.

I was just pointing out that I think Foulke is a pretty good closer, and that I think it's interesting that many posters here seem to regard him as a choke artist. I don't think his record shows him to be that more so than most established closers. As for the "pre-emptive" part, I think being a Sox fan has led to a pessimistic streak that made me think Foulke will probably implode in game 7 and make my post look silly (or sillier, depending on your point of view).just my opinion, but i think foulke did what he always does. he got himself in serious trouble and this time, he got out of it. 2 walks in the ninth is not good relief pitching. throw in the fact that if he had to go another inning the odds are that he gives up runs. he could never go more than one with the sox.

Jjav829
10-20-2004, 12:24 AM
so you're of the opinion that fairness has no place in baseball (or any other sport) and whatever you can get away with you should do.
and just how is the umpires making the correct call being "pushed around'?

frankly i think it's a show of poor sportsmanship (which i guess you don't believe in) to not admit you screwed up. i am aware that 'sportsmanship' is looked down on by some a show of weakness or 'lack of fire' but frankly i think that's crap. your thinking is exactly what is wrong with athletes. winning is all that matters, all that counts and you'll lie, steal, cheat, or whatever it takes to win.

if i thought everyone actually felt that way i'd never watch another 'sport' in my life!
Then don't watch another sport. If you're looking for some great moralistic sport where players all love each other and share tea and cookies with each other after the game, then keep looking. Maybe cricket would be a good sport for you to start following.

To answer your answer, yes I do think fairness has a prominent role in sports. But so does emotion and reaction, the two most basic elements of that play. I guarantee you Arod didn't think to himself "Should I attempt to knock this ball out of his hand? No, that wouldn't be very fair." He saw the damn ball a few inches away and his instincts told him to try to do something to avoid making an out, so he swatted at the ball. If he got away with knocking the ball loose, then he just helped his team get back in the game. If not, well, it didn't cost him anything.

If you don't think that the "winning is all that counts" attitude runs rampant in all sports, your not watching. The vast majority of these athletes have that attitude. That fierce competitiveness also leads them to do things in the heat of the moment that aren't exactly sportsmanlike.

idseer
10-20-2004, 12:33 AM
Then don't watch another sport. If you're looking for some great moralistic sport where players all love each other and share tea and cookies with each other after the game, then keep looking. Maybe cricket would be a good sport for you to start following.

To answer your answer, yes I do think fairness has a prominent role in sports. But so does emotion and reaction, the two most basic elements of that play. I guarantee you Arod didn't think to himself "Should I attempt to knock this ball out of his hand? No, that wouldn't be very fair." He saw the damn ball a few inches away and his instincts told him to try to do something to avoid making an out, so he swatted at the ball. If he got away with knocking the ball loose, then he just helped his team get back in the game. If not, well, it didn't cost him anything.

If you don't think that the "winning is all that counts" attitude runs rampant in all sports, your not watching. The vast majority of these athletes have that attitude. That fierce competitiveness also leads them to do things in the heat of the moment that aren't exactly sportsmanlike.nice try but i'm not buying. i've been in exactly the same situation alex was in and i never felt the slightest inclination to try and cheat my way on. that's why i said it was a 'poor instinct'.

i agree with you that, to many people, winning is all that matters. that doesn't make it right or even desirable imo.

and no, i'm not looking for love, tea or cookies. i'm looking to see a fair contest. and i refuse to feel guilty for wanting and expecting fair play. do you have kids? do you teach them your 'win at any cost' philosophy? i'll bet not (at least i hope not). i still watch because i KNOW there are MANY who play the game the right way. and the umps are there to try and keep the rest of the jerks honest.

hitlesswonder
10-20-2004, 12:47 AM
just my opinion, but i think foulke did what he always does. he got himself in serious trouble and this time, he got out of it. 2 walks in the ninth is not good relief pitching. throw in the fact that if he had to go another inning the odds are that he gives up runs. he could never go more than one with the sox.
I agree Foulke seemed to have trouble with multiple innings his last season with the Sox, but I remember him actually being very good at it when he was Howry's setup man. And he went 2 2/3 scoreless against NY in game 4. I think he has more trouble with frequent use, and I think he was probably tired tonight (and lucky he faced the bottom of the NY lineup).

Anyway, we disagree about whether or not Foulke is a good closer, that's fine; I think that's what message boards like this are for. The thing I really care about is not being tagged as a FOBB :smile:

idseer
10-20-2004, 12:51 AM
I agree Foulke seemed to have trouble with multiple innings his last season with the Sox, but I remember him actually being very good at it when he was Howry's setup man. And he went 2 2/3 scoreless against NY in game 4. I think he has more trouble with frequent use, and I think he was probably tired tonight (and lucky he faced the bottom of the NY lineup).

Anyway, we disagree about whether or not Foulke is a good closer, that's fine; I think that's what message boards like this are for. The thing I really care about is not being tagged as a FOBB :smile:no, i don't disagree with you. foulke's record proves he's a good closer. just saying he often gets himself into trouble ... not something you like to see in a closer.

FarWestChicago
10-20-2004, 12:58 AM

I was just pointing out that I think Foulke is a pretty good closer, and that I think it's interesting that many posters here seem to regard him as a choke artist. I don't think his record shows him to be that more so than most established closers. As for the "pre-emptive" part, I think being a Sox fan has led to a pessimistic streak that made me think Foulke will probably implode in game 7 and make my post look silly (or sillier, depending on your point of view).You are correct about Beane and Foulke. Ironically, Foulke is a darling of the FOBB's and I apologize for associating you with them. I was surprised when he didn't blow it tonight. Then I remembered he might have another chance. I'll admit I was conflicted tonight. I really want the Skanks to lose. But why shouldn't the Wrong Sox fans experience the real Foulke Sox and A's fans know all to well? http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

ma-gaga
10-20-2004, 01:01 AM
You're damn right I would have did what Arod did
It's about standing up for yourself and your team.
I agree actually. I don't have a problem with what he did. I don't have a problem with him arguing the call.

I just can't stand the uniform that he's in. I can't stand the self-entitlement of the NYY faithful, and I can't stand the giant sucking sound from 2/3 of the FOX broadcast team.

:gulp: (have I mentioned again that Al Leiter is awesome?!?)

FarWestChicago
10-20-2004, 01:03 AM
I just can't stand the uniform that he's in. I can't stand the self-entitlement of the NYY faithful, and I can't stand the giant sucking sound from 2/3 of the FOX broadcast team.

:gulp: (have I mentioned again that Al Leiter is awesome?!?)Can David Ortiz bat at least once an inning? http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/cool.gif

DumpJerry
10-20-2004, 07:14 AM
I hope the Sox pull it off tonight. Then the Biggest Freaks of the Universe (Flub fans) will be all alone in their whining about curses......da freaks.

akingamongstmen
10-20-2004, 10:29 AM
I agree actually. I don't have a problem with what he did. I don't have a problem with him arguing the call.

:gulp: (have I mentioned again that Al Leiter is awesome?!?)
I dunno about that. I really hate Tim McCarver (he's a complete moron), and Joe Buck is mediocre at best, but they've been fairly impartial so far. I'd even go so far as to say that they've rooted for the BoSox for the last three games (probably because FOX told them to).

Al Leiter, on the other hand, has been amazing (as you said). He's really earning my respect for his consistent, unobtrusive analysis of the game.

Foulke You
10-20-2004, 11:33 AM
Al Leiter, on the other hand, has been amazing (as you said). He's really earning my respect for his consistent, unobtrusive analysis of the game.
I agree, Leiter has added a lot to the commentary and has actually impressed me. I think it would be a better broadcast if it was just Leiter and Buck in the booth.

batmanZoSo
10-20-2004, 11:55 AM
I agree, Leiter has added a lot to the commentary and has actually impressed me. I think it would be a better broadcast if it was just Leiter and Buck in the booth.

The broadcasters can really change your perception of a game. The NL crew is so much more lively than the AL one. Buck and McCarver are very dull this year (more so than I recall them being in the past). They don't have much emotion in their voices at all.

Baby Fisk
10-20-2004, 12:09 PM
Today's Boston media is in a state of complete and utter frenzy. If you want hyper-hyperbolic hysteria, check out today's Boston Globe. Here's a sample:

Besotted Globe Reporter Calmly Reports on a "Franchise-Defining" Series (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/10/20/a_team_with_verve_suddenly_on_the_verge/?mode=PF)

After what we have witnessed the last three days, is there anyone of the non-pinstriped segment of society who believes the Sox are not capable of finishing what will eclipse all the bitter disappointments of the past century as the defining moment of this franchise? The question remains: what will happen to Curt Schilling's now-mythical bloodied sock? Bostonians are already worshipping it like the Shroud of Turin. Will it end up in Cooperstown or eBay?

bigfoot
10-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Today's Boston media is in a state of complete and utter frenzy. If you want hyper-hyperbolic hysteria, check out today's Boston Globe. Here's a sample:

Besotted Globe Reporter Calmly Reports on a "Franchise-Defining" Series (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/10/20/a_team_with_verve_suddenly_on_the_verge/?mode=PF)

The question remains: what will happen to Curt Schilling's now-mythical bloodied sock? Bostonians are already worshipping it like the Shroud of Turin. Will it end up in Cooperstown or eBay?
The "sock" will end up in a Tide commercial!

idseer
10-20-2004, 01:26 PM
I dunno about that. I really hate Tim McCarver (he's a complete moron), .........
you got that right! i used to like him ... about 20 years ago, but anymore he's just full of it. 2 good examples last night were the ground rule double into the right field crowd. he claims the ball hits the fence then caroms into the crowd and he builds a little schtik around it. then the replay clearly shows it never touched the fence and in fact went perhaps 3 rows in and a patron deflected it.
another was when foulke walked the leadoff man in the 9th. he claimed there was no difference between that walk and a homerun. it may as well have been a homerun he says. forget the fact that he still could have been doubled up.

by themselves these are small things but i find he does this stuff all the time. i get so tired of color commentators that just make things up just so they can keep talking, and mccarver does it as much as anyone i've ever heard.
i honestly wish they'd do away with these guys altogether. they aren't teaching anyone anything and when you're looking at the action you don't NEED some clown telling you what you just saw.