PDA

View Full Version : Chisox spinmasters hard at work

chisoxt
10-09-2001, 12:37 PM
The Chicago newspapers are reporting that one of the primary reasons that the Sox did not succeed this year was because of some key blown saves and losses by Keith Foulke. Given Keith's uncertain contract status, I wouldn't be a bit surprised that this is the organizations way of greasing the skids for Keith's exit out of town. I never saw an organization that disdained veteran pitchers as much as the Sox. When will they realize that you don't win with kid pitchers (at least the ones that we have) and that guys with 40+ saves do not grow on trees.

OK, OK we have this supposed phenom in the minors....So, we bring him up to replace Keith and he takes about three years to find home plate. In the mean time, another great opportunity passes us by.

Joel Perez
10-09-2001, 12:49 PM
I know that the Sox should've locked him in, but given how the Sox pitchers are biting the injury bug, and given that the Sox has a bad history of signing players, much less pitchers, to long term deals, do you blame them?

It's definitely a money game right now. Keith feels he's worth $9 mil at least. The Sox feel he's worth $4-5 mil. IMO--Offer 3 years at $21 mil, and see what happens.

Kilroy
10-09-2001, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt
...I wouldn't be a bit surprised that this is the organizations way of greasing the skids for Keith's exit out of town...

If the Sox could get the media to do that kind of dirty-work for them so they could set up the fans for losing a popular and good player, why wouldn't they use that same media to improve the city's perception of the team, organization, owner and park to help their attendance problem?

I think that if they could, they would. So I'd say that the Sox were not "greasing the skids" and had nothing to do with that.

Joel Perez
10-09-2001, 01:12 PM
Our organization is not the Boston Bruins!

C Jason Allison is battling for a new contract for this year, and the B's want to pay him peanuts.

Allegedly, according to TSN, when Allison asked why can't management give him more jack, their response was "because of what happened Sept. 11, the economy isn't the same."

Wow! Read on...This is a class organization??? (http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/larry_wigge/index.html) Scroll down and you can find the passage.

Bmr31
10-09-2001, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt
The Chicago newspapers are reporting that one of the primary reasons that the Sox did not succeed this year was because of some key blown saves and losses by Keith Foulke. Given Keith's uncertain contract status, I wouldn't be a bit surprised that this is the organizations way of greasing the skids for Keith's exit out of town. I never saw an organization that disdained veteran pitchers as much as the Sox. When will they realize that you don't win with kid pitchers (at least the ones that we have) and that guys with 40+ saves do not grow on trees.

OK, OK we have this supposed phenom in the minors....So, we bring him up to replace Keith and he takes about three years to find home plate. In the mean time, another great opportunity passes us by.

DO you realize baseball is a business? Most owners dont just throw around money like its monopoly money....

LongDistanceFan
10-09-2001, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

DO you realize baseball is a business? Most owners dont just throw around money like its monopoly money.... and we are going to spend something like 4.5-5 mil on royce. :)

Spiff
10-09-2001, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez
Our organization is not the Boston Bruins!

C Jason Allison is battling for a new contract for this year, and the B's want to pay him peanuts.

Allegedly, according to TSN, when Allison asked why can't management give him more jack, their response was "because of what happened Sept. 11, the economy isn't the same."

Wow! Read on...This is a class organization??? (http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/larry_wigge/index.html) Scroll down and you can find the passage.

Yeah nobody ever said Harry Sinden knew what he was doing. In fact, he's a douche bag. Much like Jerry Reinsdorf.

Tragg
10-10-2001, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
and we are going to spend something like 4.5-5 mil on royce. :)

And that exemplifies the problem with this front office - we won't enter into honest negotiations with foulke, but we'll spend that money on a parasite.

Foulke is worth 6 mill a year, imo. I'd do 3 years 18-19 mill.

duke of dorwood
10-10-2001, 12:06 PM
I agree. It's one of the few healthy , durable arms we have. There just isnt anyone ready to assume that role and get 40 saves.