PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Williams on Comcast RIGHT NOW!!!

santo=dorf
10-19-2004, 05:38 PM
He's being interviewed by Dan Jiggets.

santo=dorf
10-19-2004, 05:40 PM
Kenny says they can't proceed with Magglio. He says he has called him and asked him to meet up with him in Chicago.

He says the offer to Maggs had deffered money involved (shocking!)

santo=dorf
10-19-2004, 05:43 PM
KW says Frank waited for surgery because he wanted to see his ankle heal.

He says getting Beltran will be a lenghty process and they don't have the time to deal with that, and he wants to acquire players sooner and under the radar. :(:

santo=dorf
10-19-2004, 05:46 PM
Kenny says he's too bitter to watch post-season baseball.

commercial break....
They'll come back with more KW!

This is the first time I have seen the Sox get any kind of attention on Comcast Sports net. :mad:

nitetrain8601
10-19-2004, 05:46 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Cmon KW. DO IT!!!!!!! I want Beltran. Especially if you're not going after any other starters.

santo=dorf
10-19-2004, 05:52 PM
:KW

"We were very happy to see the Royals get rid of him [Beltran.]"

He says he would like to see the Astros win because it's a good baseball story.

Mickster
10-19-2004, 05:53 PM
He says getting Beltran will be a lenghty process and they don't have the time to deal with that, and he wants to acquire players sooner and under the radar. :(:
***??? He's kidding, right??? :?:

CleeFan101
10-19-2004, 05:53 PM
just because he says that they wont be pursuing beltran doesnt mean he wont... 1. it would be tampering if he did... 2. KW never says his real plans to the media.

First time poster btw :bandance:

santo=dorf
10-19-2004, 05:54 PM
One of the guys brought up the GREAT topic on how the Marlins fired their manager and won the WS, and how the Astros fired their manager and have made it so far in the postseason,
Kenny said he was in a tough position last year but said the Marlins and Astros had a "spark.:

FightingBillini
10-19-2004, 05:54 PM
Welcome

santo=dorf
10-19-2004, 05:56 PM
just because he says that they wont be pursuing beltran doesnt mean he wont... 1. it would be tampering if he did...
:knue
"That doesn't stop the Cubune Sox fans!!!"

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-19-2004, 05:57 PM
One of the guys brought up the GREAT topic on how the Marlins fired their manager and won the WS, and how the Astros fired their manager and have made it so far in the postseason,
Kenny said he was in a tough position last year but said the Marlins and Astros had a "spark.:
I was just about to comment on that. :whiner: If only we dumped Manuel in 2003, oh well like KW said you gotta stick with your decisions.

santo=dorf
10-19-2004, 06:00 PM
Talks about how Joe Borchard needs to relax, and he doesn't know if he can be an everyday player come Spring.

Says if he traded Jon Garland to the NL he would win 17 games with a 3.8 ERA and then he would be called the village idiot. Then he says something to the effect of, "Oh that's right. You're not on the radio." :D:

Says Scott Schoeneweis' role is better suited for the bullpen, but he'll have to discuss it with Boras.

Says they finally got Joe Crede to fix a mechanical issue on his uppercut swing.

OEO Magglio
10-19-2004, 06:00 PM
just because he says that they wont be pursuing beltran doesnt mean he wont... 1. it would be tampering if he did... 2. KW never says his real plans to the media.

First......welcome aboard, Second.......Great Post!!!
:bandance: :bandance:

santo=dorf
10-19-2004, 06:05 PM
Now they are talking about football. Big Cat Williams has joined the discussion table with KW.

spongyfungy
10-19-2004, 06:16 PM
Why is KW talking about Rex Grossman, Quinn and the west coast offense? dunno. guess he knows some stuff but frankly i don't care

soxwon
10-19-2004, 06:20 PM

Welcome to the Dark Side Clee, stick to your opinions, some people might resent some of them.
stick by your guns.

santo=dorf
10-19-2004, 06:21 PM
They should bring James Earl Jones in to replace the wimpy white guy. My floor is rumbling due to the bass from Jiggets, KW, and Big Cat. :D:

santo=dorf
10-19-2004, 06:25 PM
88% think that Maggs will not return next year. We should have tinkered with the polls on Chicagosports.com again to make it 100%. I would've liked to see KW's reaction to that.

:knue

"Don't you even think about it Sox fans!!!"

santo=dorf
10-19-2004, 06:27 PM
They talked about one of the eagles coaches running into a ref costing the eagles 15 yards. Jiggets then said something to Kenny knowing about people running onto the field at USCF. :angry: :angry: :angry: KW didn't seem that thrilled with the comment.

Lip Man 1
10-19-2004, 06:27 PM
Granted that posteuring is part of every G.M.'s resume but in regards to Kenny's comments on Beltran I think a reasonable reading between the lines can conclude the following:

He costs to much and we (the Sox) don't want to deal with Boras.

Why should that surprise anybody?

Lip

cornball
10-19-2004, 06:37 PM
Granted that posteuring is part of every G.M.'s resume but in regards to Kenny's comments on Beltran I think a reasonable reading between the lines can conclude the following:

LipI don't disagree with that, but it is a sad state of affairs that everyone is always worried about the Sox payroll. Why should we worry about what the payroll is.....just win. Where is the pressure from the fans to field a winner on the southside?

I have yet to hear a NYY or BoSox fan complain their teams have a payroll of 185MM and 125MM+/- respectively, plus the luxury taxes. Just seems to me JR gets a pass and the fans buy the company line everytime. It is time to field a winner! Grilli as the 5th starter, as a recent post suggests, and Harris at 2nd are not the foundation for playoff baseball and the list could go on and on...

Can you tell I had a bad bad at work?

rwcescato
10-19-2004, 06:58 PM
I don't disagree with that, but it is a sad state of affairs that everyone is always worried about the Sox payroll. Why should we worry about what the payroll is.....just win. Where is the pressure from the fans to field a winner on the southside?

I have yet to hear a NYY or BoSox fan complain their teams have a payroll of 185MM and 125MM+/- respectively, plus the luxury taxes. Just seems to me JR gets a pass and the fans buy the company line everytime. It is time to field a winner! Grilli as the 5th starter, as a recent post suggests, and Harris at 2nd are not the foundation for playoff baseball and the list could go on and on...

Can you tell I had a bad bad at work?I agree. Also Beltran is way out of our league. Only NY and Boston would even fathom that amount of money he will ask. Its sad but true. They just played a lead in to the channel 32 news after the game and mentioned something about cubbie misery. This whole curse thing just makes me want to throw up. I can't stand those red sox fans anymore. All they do is pray and act like everyone owes them something. I am glad we are not involved in that iodiotic excuse for losing. When we stink or choke we just plain say it
and go on with our lives. Get over it flub fans and red sox fans.
Rich

Wealz
10-19-2004, 07:08 PM

Lip
What would stop the Yankees from outbidding the Sox for Beltran, Lip?

jabrch
10-19-2004, 07:26 PM
As much as we'd all love to have Beltran, our resources are better used to get two players for the same money. Let's say JR says, "Kenny, go outbid the Yanks by $1.00 - and get us Beltran." and lets say that is possible - to outbid NYY by $1.00 and thus to get him. The problem is we just would have spent about 20% of our total payroll on a position where we already have someone who did a serviceable job last year. I am by no means a FOC, but he surely was serviceable last year using any metric. (ZR for you statheads, observation for the toolgeeks) It would put us in a position where we'd have nearly no $ to spend on other positions. It would mean the rest of the team would be filled with..fillers Instead, the 15-20mm that it would take to get Beltran can be used to get us a #1 SP (Pavano? Radke? Clement?) and still have plenty of money left over for another OF (Cruz Jr is available) or a setup guy.

If we had an unlimited budget, I'd say go for it and get Beltran. We don't - and I can't see competing with the other teams that will be bidding on him. I'd rather use our money smartly than try and win a bidding war for a CF.

Soxzilla
10-19-2004, 07:59 PM
Says they finally got Joe Crede to fix a mechanical issue on his uppercut swing.They couldn't work on this during the actual season?:angry:

Jjav829
10-19-2004, 08:24 PM
They couldn't work on this during the actual season?:angry:
They did but only toward the end of the season. That's the reason for Joe's decent September.

idseer
10-19-2004, 08:27 PM
As much as we'd all love to have Beltran, our resources are better used to get two players for the same money.
problem is he's likely to get 14 one million dollar players instead. :smile:

jabrch
10-19-2004, 08:30 PM
problem is he's likely to get 14 one million dollar players instead. :smile:There are others that say they'd get a 3mm player, a 5mm player and JR would stuff the other 6mm in his pants...

Kogs35
10-19-2004, 09:27 PM
They did but only toward the end of the season. That's the reason for Joe's decent September.
wow joe crede actully listened to coach?

SoxxoS
10-19-2004, 10:04 PM
I am just happy they fixed the problem with Crede's swing. It is COMPLETELY UNDERSTANDABLE why it hasn't been fixed by now. I mean, he has only been playing baseball for 22 years now. Luckily, the Sox management is able to find and correct this problem. And I was worried about our 3B situation.

Lip Man 1
10-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Wealz:

My comment was not a criticism. Unlike some of the deluded optimists on the board who had been pontificating and postulating for the last ten days, I didn't think the Sox had a snowball's chance in hell to get him. That's why I made the comment about 'why are we surprised at this?'

It was directed at those who were able to calculate completely how by magic or osmosis Beltran was going to arrive in Chicago's South Side.

Lip

infohawk
10-19-2004, 10:55 PM
Beltran would blow a huge whole in the Sox alloted payroll. One difference maker on offense is not the appropriate prescription for what ails this team. I'd rather see the Sox invest in pitching. If the Sox did nothing else besides acquiring one more quality starter and a couple of effective bullpen arms we would see a notable improvement. That said, I do think KW will look at acquiring pitching and one or two position players (any combination of OF, 2nd or SS). What he looks to acquire may also depend on whether or not he decides to pull the trigger on a trade of Lee or Konerko.

kittle42
10-19-2004, 11:28 PM

Lip

Don't tell that to SEALgeap.

PavanoBeltran'05
10-20-2004, 05:58 AM
I'd love to see Beltran here, but I don't think it's going to happen. I'm actually glad it's not going to happen. Just like someone posted earlier......look at the Mariners or Rangers when they dumped A-Rod. They had more money to fill in positions with. We don't need to allocate that much payroll to one position. How many games can Beltran actually win you over another guy in the lineup? 5? 6? That's not enough of a win improvement to allocate 20-25 percent of your payroll to.

munchman33
10-20-2004, 06:42 AM
Wealz:

My comment was not a criticism. Unlike some of the deluded optimists on the board who had been pontificating and postulating for the last ten days, I didn't think the Sox had a snowball's chance in hell to get him. That's why I made the comment about 'why are we surprised at this?'

It was directed at those who were able to calculate completely how by magic or osmosis Beltran was going to arrive in Chicago's South Side.

Lip
Lip I agree with you that we don't have a chance to get Beltran, but I don't blame management for being "cheap" on this one. Outbidding the Yankees is both futile and idiotic.

gosox41
10-20-2004, 08:02 AM
Why is KW talking about Rex Grossman, Quinn and the west coast offense? dunno. guess he knows some stuff but frankly i don't care
Maybe the Bears will hire him away to be their GM.

Bob

gosox41
10-20-2004, 08:03 AM
I'd love to see Beltran here, but I don't think it's going to happen. I'm actually glad it's not going to happen. Just like someone posted earlier......look at the Mariners or Rangers when they dumped A-Rod. They had more money to fill in positions with. We don't need to allocate that much payroll to one position. How many games can Beltran actually win you over another guy in the lineup? 5? 6? That's not enough of a win improvement to allocate 20-25 percent of your payroll to.
I'm glad to because this team has too many other holes that need filling. Getting Beltran and keeping everything else the same doesn't make this team a legit. WS contender. Getting a good starter, a couple of god relievers, a second baseman, and a catcher will help much more.

Bob

SoxFanTillDeath
10-20-2004, 08:22 AM

Bob

No, they wouldn't, because KW would trade all their young talent for Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Deion Sanders, Emmit Smith, and Rich Gannon, watch them all get injured, create a big controversy on why they didn't get dressed and come out of the tunnel in uniform to mislead the other team for the Bears' advantage, and then bring in Cade McNown for $5 when he could have had Mike Vick because Cade was the "more realistic" option and he's still young and they need to give him another 5 years to accurately assess his progress.

Now what would be really funny would be if JR AND KW took over the bears!

crc#4
:bandance:

duke of dorwood
10-20-2004, 08:28 AM
Williams may not be watching post season baseball for some time-he did say that the "small ball" thing is not a total option, "the way US Cellular is playing right now"

hold2dibber
10-20-2004, 08:59 AM
I don't disagree with that, but it is a sad state of affairs that everyone is always worried about the Sox payroll. Why should we worry about what the payroll is.....just win. Where is the pressure from the fans to field a winner on the southside?

Can you tell I had a bad bad at work?
I'm not sure how you can say there isn't pressure from the fans to field a winner on the South Side. The Sox attendance is pretty miserable when they're lousy. When they win (or when they make moves that give the fans hope that they'll win), attendance goes up. What else are fans supposed to do? And Sox fans incessantly complain about JR's cheapness. I don't understand how you can say he gets a free pass.

SEALgep
10-20-2004, 09:21 AM
Don't tell that to SEALgeap.:dtroll:

SEALgep
10-20-2004, 09:22 AM
Lip I agree with you that we don't have a chance to get Beltran, but I don't blame management for being "cheap" on this one. Outbidding the Yankees is both futile and idiotic.And the persistant complaining about it is even more idiotic from the certain few here.

Sell Jerry Sell!
10-20-2004, 09:26 AM
How many games can Beltran actually win you over another guy in the lineup? 5? 6? That's not enough of a win improvement to allocate 20-25 percent of your payroll to.
I think he has singlehandedly carried the astros through the division series and the NLCS, so that is more than just 5 or 6 games

cornball
10-20-2004, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure how you can say there isn't pressure from the fans to field a winner on the South Side. The Sox attendance is pretty miserable when they're lousy. When they win (or when they make moves that give the fans hope that they'll win), attendance goes up. What else are fans supposed to do? And Sox fans incessantly complain about JR's cheapness. I don't understand how you can say he gets a free pass.
Point taken.

At the same time, noone in the media (local or national) cares about the Sox. The pressure from the fans is turned against us, many because of the northside team.

We can be here until hell freezes over trying to figure out how to win a pennant with a 65MM+/- payroll and the answer will also be the same. It will not happen! Where is the commitment from ownership and where is the pressure for the press?

The point I was trying to make is an expansion of payroll is needed, a reason for excitement is needed, hope and optimisum is what we are looking for this off season.

Lip Man 1
10-20-2004, 10:39 AM
Seal:

Just wondering...where in my comment did I even infer 'cheap?' I guess you can read minds in addition to all your other remarkable talents.

Personally I think if the Sox wanted to they could afford Beltran, but to me the real reason nothing is going to get off the ground floor is because of who his agent is.

Lip

mdep524
10-20-2004, 11:19 AM

Bob
And he could take Joe Borchard with him. The Bears need a QB right now, right? :D:

Wealz
10-20-2004, 11:22 AM
Seal:

Just wondering...where in my comment did I even infer 'cheap?' I guess you can read minds in addition to all your other remarkable talents.

Personally I think if the Sox wanted to they could afford Beltran, but to me the real reason nothing is going to get off the ground floor is because of who his agent is.

Lip
Lip, the White Sox could afford him if the Yankees don't want him.

Clarkdog
10-20-2004, 11:53 AM
:KW

"We were very happy to see the Royals get rid of him [Beltran.]"

He says he would like to see the Astros win because it's a good baseball story.Hey Kenny, I'd like to see the White Sox win - it's the only baseball story I care about.

Iwritecode
10-20-2004, 12:44 PM
a couple of god relievers

That would be pretty sweet. :D:

:hawk
Double-barreled activity in the bullpen with the left-hander Zeus and the right-hander Budda warming up.

:) :) :)