PDA

View Full Version : Fox Family Channel?????

PaleHoseGeorge
10-09-2001, 12:23 PM
I just found out the afternoon games of the MLB divisional series are being shown nationally on Fox Family Channel. FOX FAMILY CHANNEL! What's next? Local Cable Access?

I remember when the playoffs pre-empted everything. NBC did the games for years. Later ABC, CBS, and Fox got them. ESPN started showing early rounds a few years ago, but Fox Family Channel? Hell, I had to go surfing up and down the dial just to find the channel. I couldn't have recalled it on a bet.

So basically the broadcast networks and all the top cable channels would rather show soap operas, Jerry Springer, infomercials, and tractor pulls. Next year we'll get pre-empted for Robot Wars!

This is ridiculous. If MLB can't do better than Fox Family Channel for their playoff games, it's time to change the playoff format. Obviously nobody gives a damned about them the way things are.

This is soooooo depressing.

Jerry_Manuel
10-09-2001, 12:36 PM
George fox payed a boat load of money to get full coverage of all the playoff games. I agree they should just put all the games on FOX. But I think that there would be a problem time wise. The first game is at 12 and the 2nd game is at 3.

FarWestChicago
10-09-2001, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I just found out the afternoon games of the MLB divisional series are being shown nationally on Fox Family Channel. FOX FAMILY CHANNEL! What's next? Local Cable Access?

I remember when the playoffs pre-empted everything. NBC did the games for years. Later ABC, CBS, and Fox got them. ESPN started showing early rounds a few years ago, but Fox Family Channel? Hell, I had to go surfing up and down the dial just to find the channel. I couldn't have recalled it on a bet.

So basically the broadcast networks and all the top cable channels would rather show soap operas, Jerry Springer, infomercials, and tractor pulls. Next year we'll get pre-empted for Robot Wars!

This is ridiculous. If MLB can't do better than Fox Family Channel for their playoff games, it's time to change the playoff format. Obviously nobody gives a damned about them the way things are.

This is soooooo depressing. I'll give you depressing. My cable company doesn't even carry the Fox Family Channel. I'm SOL.

Jerry_Manuel
10-09-2001, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I'll give you depressing. My cable company doesn't even carry the Fox Family Channel. I'm SOL.

Boy that sucks West. I wonder why they just don't put the games on Fox Sports Net. I know FSN is regional but I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to put the game on FSN. To steal a line from Daver "But what the hell do I know?".

FarWestChicago
10-09-2001, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Boy that sucks West. I wonder why they just don't put the games on Fox Sports Net. I know FSN is regional but I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to put the game on FSN. To steal a line from Daver "But what the hell do I know?". Hey, there's a new one. I do have Fox Family Channel now. I don't know when I started getting that, LOL!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-09-2001, 01:06 PM
Boy that sucks West. I wonder why they just don't put the games on Fox Sports Net. I know FSN is regional but I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to put the game on FSN. To steal a line from Daver "But what the hell do I know?".

That's what I'm saying. Fox could put the games on Fox but they would rather show "Power of Attorney". Fox could put the games on Fox SportsNet but they would rather show "World Sport Auto Racing" (whatever the hell that is).

Meanwhile ESPN is showing Nascar trucks, and women's professional billiards. All three of the big broadcast networks are showing soaps. Even as late as the early-90's, they ALWAYS ditched soap operas for playoff baseball.

Baseball's popularity is going downhill rapidly if "Power of Attorney" gets better ratings than a playoff game.

FarWestChicago
10-09-2001, 01:11 PM
Baseball's popularity is going downhill rapidly if "Power of Attorney" gets better ratings than a playoff game.
:shammy

But I thought I saved baseball!!

:moron

You did Sammy. But "Power of Attorney" has a lot of juice.

WinningUgly!
10-09-2001, 01:46 PM
I'll give you depressing. My cable company doesn't even carry the Fox Family Channel. I'm SOL.

That's what FOX wants! Pissed off people flooding their cable companies with phone calls asking for FOX Family.

It is sad that these games aren't on a regular network channel. Its' about as bad as when CBS got ahold of the rights to the entire NCAA tourney. ESPN used to do a great job taking you from game to game in the first round, always showing live "buzzer beaters". Now we get Billy "Fudge" Packer playing taped highlights & CBS sticking with 1 vs. 16 seed 50 point blow outs! Hmmn...I seem to have strayed a bit from the topic. Did somebody say tractor pulls??????

Chisox_cali
10-09-2001, 02:39 PM
well if its any consolation abc bought the fox family channel and it will soon be the abc family channel. But that would mean that the games would probably be on FX which less people have than FFC

NUCatsFan
10-09-2001, 02:46 PM

And what's wrong with Robot Wars? :)

Chisox353014
10-09-2001, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
It is sad that these games aren't on a regular network channel. Its' about as bad as when CBS got ahold of the rights to the entire NCAA tourney. ESPN used to do a great job taking you from game to game in the first round, always showing live "buzzer beaters". Now we get Billy "Fudge" Packer playing taped highlights & CBS sticking with 1 vs. 16 seed 50 point blow outs! Hmmn...I seem to have strayed a bit from the topic. Did somebody say tractor pulls??????

Amen to that! It's like... "#16 seed Hampton is shocking #1 seed Duke 51-50 with 1 minute to go...but first, a word from our friends at Kotex..."
I hate CBS!

GASHWOUND
10-09-2001, 05:36 PM

That's what I'm saying. Fox could put the games on Fox but they would rather show "Power of Attorney". Fox could put the games on Fox SportsNet but they would rather show "World Sport Auto Racing" (whatever the hell that is).

Meanwhile ESPN is showing Nascar trucks, and women's professional billiards. All three of the big broadcast networks are showing soaps. Even as late as the early-90's, they ALWAYS ditched soap operas for playoff baseball.

There has to be some kind of explanation. When I got home today I was looking aroud for the game cause they said the M's and toons were playing at 3. Got home, went to Fox, cartoons were on! Cartoons? They rather show kiddie crap instead of the mariners and indians? What is wrong with this picture? Than I was lost. Went to the TV guide and it said it will be showing games on Fox and Foxfamily. And said, "Foxfamily!?" I didn't even know a FoxFamily existed! I wonder if the delay of the postseason has anything to do with them putting it on Foxfamily. I don't see why, nothing is on in the afternoon. The later game (3-6) wouldn't have interfered with Fox's normal Tuesday lineup.

Fox has alot of splanin' to do.

Jerry_Manuel
10-09-2001, 05:42 PM
Well the Braves/Astros game started at 12 on Fox Family. The Toons and the Mariners game started at 3 on Fox. I'm sure the thinking was that there is a chance the noon game could go past 3. Then what do you do? They could do a split screen but this is the playoffs. I know it sucks but nothing we can do.

Daver
10-09-2001, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Hmmn...I seem to have strayed a bit from the topic. Did somebody say tractor pulls??????

Hey,I like tractor pulls!That is some good TV there.

Jerry_Manuel
10-09-2001, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by daver
Hey,I like tractor pulls!That is some good TV there.

I for one am shocked, who would have thunk it? This news just came out of right field.
:)

PaleHoseGeorge
10-09-2001, 07:20 PM
If MLB wants to set up their playoffs like the NFL, they should play all the games on Saturdays and Sundays only. To hell with 7 game series; make each match up do or die best-of-one. THAT would be exciting.

Instead we get this goofy watered down version that fails to get the TV networks (or fans) very excited, and also makes the 162 game schedule into a joke. I can think of at least two alternate plans that would be better than what we've got right now from MLB. These guys could screw up a one-car funeral.

FarWestChicago
10-09-2001, 07:31 PM
Instead we get this goofy watered down version that fails to get the TV networks (or fans) very excited, and also makes the 162 game schedule into a joke. I can think of at least two alternate plans that would be better than what we've got right now from MLB. These guys could screw up a one-car funeral. I can't believe I am watching the Fox Family Channel I didn't even know I had. This is insane. Is baseball a major sport or not?

Daver
10-09-2001, 07:33 PM
I can't believe I am watching the Fox Family Channel I didn't even know I had. This is insane. Is baseball a major sport or not?

Yeah,its right up there with tractor pulls.I'm a huge fan of both.

FarWestChicago
10-09-2001, 07:35 PM

Yeah,its right up there with tractor pulls.I'm a huge fan of both. But a tractor pull would at least make it to TNN. I can't believe I'm watching baseball on a third tier station.

Daver
10-09-2001, 07:38 PM
But a tractor pull would at least make it to TNN. I can't believe I'm watching baseball on a third tier station.

Only the NTPA makes it on TNN,the rest are shown on Fox Family.

FarWestChicago
10-09-2001, 07:41 PM

Only the NTPA makes it on TNN,the rest are shown on Fox Family. My apologies. I didn't even know I had Fox Family. It's called FamilyP in the listings. :)

Jerry_Manuel
10-09-2001, 07:44 PM
If MLB wants to set up their playoffs like the NFL, they should play all the games on Saturdays and Sundays only. To hell with 7 game series; make each match up do or die best-of-one. THAT would be exciting.

That would be weird.
The AL games on Saturday and the NL games on Sunday.
Pedro pitches the the ALDS on Saturday, when the team wins he pitches the ALCS next Saturday and pitches the World Series game to. Man that would be sweet.

Jerry_Manuel
10-09-2001, 07:45 PM
My apologies. I didn't even know I had Fox Family. It's called FamilyP in the listings.

I assume the "P" means programming.

FarWestChicago
10-09-2001, 07:47 PM

I assume the "P" means programming. I think the P is for Pacific.

Jerry_Manuel
10-09-2001, 07:51 PM
I think the P is for Pacific.

Family Pacific.
What the hell is that? No wonder why you couldn't find the games.

Spiff
10-09-2001, 07:51 PM
These guys could screw up a one-car funeral.

lol PHG you sound like my dad. Err...I didn't say that.

Paulwny
10-09-2001, 07:54 PM
My apologies. I didn't even know I had Fox Family. It's called FamilyP in the listings. :)

I think you have a religious channel--- Family Planning

FarWestChicago
10-09-2001, 07:55 PM

Family Pacific.
What the hell is that? No wonder why you couldn't find the games. No lie. There is nothing about Fox. At least the sports channel is FSBA. Fox Sports Bay Area.

FarWestChicago
10-09-2001, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

I think you have a religious channel--- Family Planning LOL, I didn't know what it was until I saw the game listed after PHG said the games were on Fox Family.

Daver
10-09-2001, 07:58 PM
LOL, I didn't know what it was until I saw the game listed after PHG said the games were on Fox Family.

Fox Family was bought by ABC,that may have something to do with the confusion.

ma-gaga
10-10-2001, 09:36 AM
This sucks. ESPN had bowling on during the playoffs. ?!?!?! I just don't get it.

I got stuck at ESPN Classic, at least they had baseball on. Then i realized, 'hey, the Mets aren't in it this year?!?'

I found the game, and luckily it was the Schilling gem, but it pisses me that it was on a sub-channel. I mean, use TBS or TNT or TNN, they at least are consistant in their programming lineups. I hope these playoffs ratings show what kind of stupidity that MLB/Fox is generating.

RichieRichAllen
10-10-2001, 10:29 AM

Sounds like a good excuse to spend the next week in a sports bar, then.......

"But honey, it's the playoffs......."

RichieRichAllen
10-10-2001, 10:35 AM
I can't believe I am watching the Fox Family Channel I didn't even know I had.

You probably had it confused with the 10 other Fox Networks that inhabit your cable system. FWC.

They're out to take over the world, I tell 'ya.

cheeses_h_rice
10-10-2001, 10:42 AM
I think the whole thing is a sad commentary on how diminished baseball's role is in the U.S., and also how little accord people give the first round of the playoffs.

I was driving home from work yesterday, and tried to get the M's/Indians game on the radio -- nope, nothing doing.

And then last night I was amazed to discover, while flipping around at 7pm, that I missed 6 innings of the D-backs/Cards game because it was buried on Channel 14 or somesuch on my cable, a channel I never watch and never associate with sports.

Instead, Fox Sports Chicago was showing some stupid hockey game.

If it weren't for the Internet and an extensive cable setup, we fans would be really lost.

FarWestChicago
10-10-2001, 11:15 AM
People were going off on the radio this morning. I was lucky enough to find that damn Family channel on my cable, but I guess a lot of people don't get it out here. What a bunch of crap.

Paulwny
10-10-2001, 11:37 AM
People were going off on the radio this morning. I was lucky enough to find that damn Family channel on my cable, but I guess a lot of people don't get it out here. What a bunch of crap.

Only the damn yankmees will be on a main channel and at prime evening time. TV execs if allowed, would probably only carry the yankmees and skip all the other teams.

Spiff
10-10-2001, 11:43 AM
I dunno about you guys but I'm really excited about that Christopher Llyod movie with the ghosts and crap.

Looks like grade-A material.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-10-2001, 12:39 PM
Ed Sherman in today's Cubune notes that Fox chose Fox Family over Fox SportsNet because it has wider distribution than their regional sports networks. The story is Fox wanted to reach more homes and FF goes to 83.8 million homes compared to just 77 million for FSN. ESPN had early-round games last year with 85.2 million homes.

What the Cubune fails to note (naturally) is how many people WATCH Fox Family versus FSN or ESPN. Most of us didn't even know where to find the damned channel. It's the first time I can remember ever tuning it in.

This move simply makes MLB more invisible. Even baseball fans can't find the games. Why should we expect casual sports fans to tune in? It's a joke.

If distribution was solely the basis of choosing where to televise games, why not put the baseball playoffs on Local Cable Access? Everyone gets that, ain't that right Ed?

You can always count on the Cubune to screw up the relevant story. All the baseball fans calling into talk radio to complain proves the point.

Spiff
10-10-2001, 12:46 PM
If distribution was solely the basis of choosing where to televise games, why not put the baseball playoffs on Local Cable Access? Everyone gets that, ain't that right Ed?

It's funny that you say cable access, b/c the Fox affiliate in Boston owns the rights to about 70 Red Sox games. And since we don't normally get that station, our cable company picks it up on Public Access. Makes for some boring commercials.

Jerry_Manuel
10-10-2001, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
This sucks. ESPN had bowling on during the playoffs. ?!?!?! I just don't get it.

I found the game, and luckily it was the Schilling gem, but it pisses me that it was on a sub-channel. I mean, use TBS or TNT or TNN, they at least are consistant in their programming lineups. I hope these playoffs ratings show what kind of stupidity that MLB/Fox is generating.

There's nothing to get, money rules sports. Fox gave MLB a boatload of money to have full broadcast rights to the playoffs. They can air the games on whatever channel they want.

Nellsin
10-10-2001, 03:08 PM
My guess is that in negotiating the sale to the FOX network MLB didn't think to specify which station within the Fox "brand" would be used. When you sell to ESPN you know you're selling to a sports network, and the majors are the majors, so when you sell to NBC you're getting the peacock. So MLB is asleep at the wheel rather than protecting its own brand image. You'd like to think somebody got in trouble for this embarassment but probably not.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-10-2001, 03:10 PM
There's nothing to get, money rules sports. Fox gave MLB a boatload of money to have full broadcast rights to the playoffs. They can air the games on whatever channel they want.

Well apparently money rules baseball more than any other sport. I don't see anyone else being dumb enough (or greedy enough) to flush their premier product (the playoffs) down a hard-to-find, God-forsaken corner of cable television's dial just so they can make a few more bucks.

Penny wise; dollar foolish. If Fox insisted MLB must allow them to show playoff baseball on some third-rate channel, the smart reply would be

1. Offer us less money and put them on your best channels, or
2. Go piss up a rope. We're sports promoters, not whores.

Of course the fact the owners didn't reply this way clearly indicates what they are. They accepted a few extra dollars to prostitute their product.

Again I say, these guys (the owners) could screw up a one-car funeral.

Jerry_Manuel
10-10-2001, 03:14 PM
Well apparently money rules baseball more than any other sport. I don't see anyone else being dumb enough (or greedy enough) to flush their premier product (the playoffs) down a hard-to-find, God-forsaken corner of cable television's dial just so they can make a few more bucks.

George wouldn't you say this leads back to the fact that the NFL has revenue sharing? It seems like they saw FOX offered the big money which meant more money for them. Which is important to the owners in the smaller markets. As you pointed out it looks like all the owners cared about was getting the cash.

GASHWOUND
10-10-2001, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
I dunno about you guys but I'm really excited about that Christopher Llyod movie with the ghosts and crap.

Looks like grade-A material.

Hey, congrats Wh1teSox00, your post is the first post ever to make me laugh out loud. I have a stupid sense of humor.

BTW, I can't wait to see that movie!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-10-2001, 03:24 PM
George wouldn't you say this leads back to the fact that the NFL has revenue sharing? It seems like they saw FOX offered the big money which meant more money for them. Which is important to the owners in the smaller markets. As you pointed out it looks like all the owners cared about was getting the cash.

Yes, it's just one more example of how poorly MLB is managed. It's easy to blame Bud, but the troubles run much deeper. These guys (the owners collectively) have no concept of where they envision the game to be 5 or 10 years down the road. I doubt they ever think past next season.

They're idiots and if not for the attacks on September 11, they would probably have tried to lockout the players next spring to even further bury themselves amongst sports fans. No other sport is this bad, not even hockey.

To paraphrase someone famous, baseball must be a great game to survive the imbeciles who promote it.

Spiff
10-10-2001, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

Hey, congrats Wh1teSox00, you're post is the first post ever to make me laugh out loud. I have a stupid sense of humor.

BTW, I can't wait to see that movie!

w00t! I knew it would be me all along! :)

ode to veeck
10-10-2001, 03:37 PM
I agree, its only in the last couple of years that I was able to get myslef to watch MLB again & stop saying "baseball's not a sport" after the last jerry and bud strike show