PDA

View Full Version : Dave Roberts and Speed vs. Willie Harris

Brian26
10-19-2004, 12:32 PM
Watching the last two night's Red Sox/Yankees games, I'm in total awe of Dave Roberts. Here's a guy who comes off the bench to pinch run, and he completely, utterly takes control of the game. He knows how to take a lead. Everyone in the park knows he's going to try to steal, and there's hardly anything anyone can do about it. He single-handidly tied the game the other night, late in the game, with his prowess on the basepaths. Most importantly, the guy just completely looks like he believes in himself- he has confidence. He oozes confidence.

Now, I haven't watched a ton of Red Sox games, but I assume Roberts isn't a huge threat at the plate. I know nothing of what he brings to the table defensively either. I'm only going to focus on his baserunning.

My point is this: Why can't Willie Harris be a guy on the basepaths like Roberts? The Sox don't play national league baseball, but having a guy on the bench who can run like this in the late innings is invaluable. Even as a 25th roster spot, I'd love to have a guy on the bench like this. I think Willie has tons of speed. He might even be faster than Roberts.

Who's going to teach Willie Harris how to be DANGEROUS on the basepaths? Who's going to teach Willie how to believe in himself? Can it be done? I've heard people say Willie's a lost cause psychologically. If that's the case, we might as well cut ties right now.

batmanZoSo
10-19-2004, 12:39 PM
Watching the last two night's Red Sox/Yankees games, I'm in total awe of Dave Roberts. Here's a guy who comes off the bench to pinch run, and he completely, utterly takes control of the game. He knows how to take a lead. Everyone in the park knows he's going to try to steal, and there's hardly anything anyone can do about it. He single-handidly tied the game the other night, late in the game, with his prowess on the basepaths. Most importantly, the guy just completely looks like he believes in himself- he has confidence. He oozes confidence.

Now, I haven't watched a ton of Red Sox games, but I assume Roberts isn't a huge threat at the plate. I know nothing of what he brings to the table defensively either. I'm only going to focus on his baserunning.

My point is this: Why can't Willie Harris be a guy on the basepaths like Roberts? The Sox don't play national league baseball, but having a guy on the bench who can run like this in the late innings is invaluable. Even as a 25th roster spot, I'd love to have a guy on the bench like this. I think Willie has tons of speed. He might even be faster than Roberts.

Who's going to teach Willie Harris how to be DANGEROUS on the basepaths? Who's going to teach Willie how to believe in himself? Can it be done? I've heard people say Willie's a lost cause psychologically. If that's the case, we might as well cut ties right now.

Because he just can't. Hundreds of fast runners have gone their whole careers averaging 5, 6, 7 steals a year. I think it's just like asking, "why can't Willie learn to hit homeruns." Granted, stealing bases is certainly more teachable than that, but you have to be born with the smarts to steal to some degree. It's just like getting bad jumps in the outfield...you can't change that very much if at all..either you can get good reads or you can't.

I do agree with this part:

If that's the case, we might as well cut ties right now.

Tekijawa
10-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Actually Dave Robberts hits for a Decent average... He's been on My fantasy team for the past couple of years. The bad thing about him is he injures himself about once a week, but he'll get you about 2-3 Stolen bases a week when un injured. Willy has no hope of ever being Dave Roberts as Dave can also play a very good CF...

wdelaney72
10-19-2004, 02:03 PM
Another thing, Dave Roberts comes off the bench. We're forced to use Willie in the starting lineup every day.

I'm all for Willie as a bench player, they just need to sign an upgrade at 2B.

Ol' No. 2
10-19-2004, 02:09 PM

Who's going to teach Willie Harris how to be DANGEROUS on the basepaths? Who's going to teach Willie how to believe in himself? Can it be done? I've heard people say Willie's a lost cause psychologically. If that's the case, we might as well cut ties right now.Actually, there have been rumors that Rafael Santana (1B coach and also baserunning coach) is not going to be retained for next year. Read into that what you want.

mweflen
10-19-2004, 03:55 PM
I'm all for Willie as a bench player, they just need to sign an upgrade at 2B.
Truer words have never been spoken.

But then, if we have a "speedster" who won't steal on the bench, why not get a speedster who can steal for the bench?

duke of dorwood
10-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Why be a Willie Harris if you are not going to act like Willie Harris?

DrCrawdad
10-19-2004, 04:42 PM
My point is this: Why can't Willie Harris be a guy on the basepaths like Roberts?...

I just took a look at Roberts and Harris' stats over at BaseballReference.com. From what I gleaned by the stats, actually Willie compares very well to Roberts, at comparable points in their careers.

I nixed Willie's first year when he was probably a September call-up and was only in a few games.

Roberts first 3 years vs. Harris' first 3 years

SB/SB + CS
Roberts 71%
Harris 81%

SB/G
Roberts 16%
Harris 15%

Gosox1917
10-19-2004, 04:59 PM
I just took a look at Roberts and Harris' stats over at BaseballReference.com. From what I gleaned by the stats, actually Willie compares very well to Roberts, at comparable points in their careers.

I nixed Willie's first year when he was probably a September call-up and was only in a few games.

Roberts first 3 years vs. Harris' first 3 years

SB/SB + CS
Roberts 71%
Harris 81%

SB/G
Roberts 16%
Harris 15%
I think this stat proves that some players need to learn to be a threat on the basepaths. Willie has the potential to steal 30 bases in a season based on his speed, but as mentioned before, nobody seems to have really taught him how to steal at the big league level. Hopefully, somebody steps up and shows him how, puts a little confidence in him, and he will steal those 30 bags he is capable of.

mike squires
10-20-2004, 04:05 PM
This has nothing to do with Willie Harris or Dave Roberts but it does have to do with stealing bases... I just want everyone to know that I called the David Ortiz steal the other night late in the game. I swear I told myself that Ortiz would steal and Posada would throw it into center. Ortiz did go and Posada nearly threw it away. I just wish my wife would have been up so I'd have a witness.

Ol' No. 2
10-20-2004, 04:22 PM
This has nothing to do with Willie Harris or Dave Roberts but it does have to do with stealing bases... I just want everyone to know that I called the David Ortiz steal the other night late in the game. I swear I told myself that Ortiz would steal and Posada would throw it into center. Ortiz did go and Posada nearly threw it away. I just wish my wife would have been up so I'd have a witness.I can pretty much guarantee you that it was not planned as a steal. It was almost certainly a hit and run, but the batter missed the sign.