PDA

View Full Version : Closet Red Sox fan...

kittle545feet
10-19-2004, 01:07 AM
I think I am in the minority by a huge margin on this one but when the White Sox are eliminated every year and the Red Sox manage to make the post season, I pull for Boston big time. Now, I have heard all the arguments about them being the American League cubbies and I have to say, I don't see it. The only fan base that I know of that relishes the idea of a curse or losing is on the north side of this city. Say something to a real Red Sox fan about a curse and you might get punched in the mouth. They hate all that crap about supposedly being cursed. Its the select few morons they show on TV that believe in the curse, and I would venture to say most of them couldn't tell you who their left fielder is. Then the media runs with it and before you know it, there is a show on ESPN debating which team sucks more and what you can do to try to help break the curse. The reason why Boston hasn't won a title is because they didn't get the job done when they had to, not because of some stupid curse. And most will tell you that.
I am an American League fan so I will support the AL winner but I am damn tired of it being the team with the owner who has been solely responsible for ruining baseball. If you want to complain about higher ticket prices and concessions, over paid players, baseball being run like a business, corporate interference, and Jerry Reinsdorf's tenure as owner of the White Sox, look no further than George Steinbrenner.
I can get by the "ignorant fan" excuse as to why I should hate the Red Sox pretty easily due to the fact, I don't live around them and have to hear their crap. So, supporting the team from my warm living room seems nice. I have no problems with their management or players, and even the majority of their fans. What's not to like really? I am a Sox fan. The White ones are my life, but if they can't do it, I hope the Red ones can!:tongue:

MUsoxfan
10-19-2004, 01:37 AM
I'm also rooting huge for the Red Sox. The only time I can ever truly root for the Yankees is when they're playing the Twins or the Cubs. When the White Sox out were out of it, I just changed my Sox. I bought a "Fisk 27" Red Sox jersey shirt when I was out there for the Sox vs. Sox series and I got a bunch of positive comments (partly because Fisk lives like 10 minutes away from me). I'm rooting for the Red Sox to have the biggest ALCS comeback ever

StillMissOzzie
10-19-2004, 01:45 AM
You're not in the wilderness, guys. I too am rooting for the Red Sox for the ALCS. I have hated the Yankees long before mega-million dollar payrolls, free agents, wild cards, division play, ... Any long-time fan of the White Sox should NEVER root for the Yankees, IMHO.

The only argument I ever see here for rooting for the Yankees is the dislike of their fans. And yes, kittle545feet, the media does seem to have a knack for finding the Red Sox fan holding up a "Reverse the Curse" poster of the Babe in a Red SOx uni, but I haven't a clue how prevalent those sentiments are to the fandom at large. My dislike of the Yankee team, and all they stand for, far outweighs any ill will I could muster for the Red Sox fans.

SMO
:gulp:

Iwritecode
10-19-2004, 11:18 AM
This is a little off topic but with all this talk of which team is cursed more has got me thinking.

IF/when the White Sox make it past the first round of the playoffs I would love to be in the stands holding up a sign that says something like:

Chicago White Sox We don't blame curses.

It would be even better if the Red Sox and the Cubs were still waiting...

kittle545feet
10-19-2004, 12:19 PM
This is a little off topic but with all this talk of which team is cursed more has got me thinking.

IF/when the White Sox make it past the first round of the playoffs I would love to be in the stands holding up a sign that says something like:

It would be even better if the Red Sox and the Cubs were still waiting... Me too! That would be great! It just kills me that there are people who believe their team doesn't win due to a curse. Why not believe in Santa or the Easter Bunny? Its bottom of the barrel in my opinion and I know thats where the scrubs fan are but the Red Sox fans I have talked to would kill the curse believers if they could.:bandance:

CubKilla
10-19-2004, 12:54 PM

It would be even better if the Red Sox and the Cubs were still waiting...
My sign will be "I STILL Blame Reinsdorf"

SOXSINCE'70
10-19-2004, 01:09 PM
My sign will be "I STILL Blame Reinsdorf"
The only difference is that my sign would blame the Sox management
throughout history. Chuck Comiskey Sr.,Bill Veeck,the Arthur Allyn
family,Reinsdork and Einhorn,they never got the message.

The message is:you can't blackmail your fanbase into
supporting a mediocre (or less than mediocre) team.:(: :(: :(: