PDA

View Full Version : This Is Good For Baseball

Brian26
10-18-2004, 10:28 PM
I don't care who you're rooting for, or if you're not rooting for anybody. These are great games for baseball.

StepsInSC
10-18-2004, 10:28 PM
I don't care who you're rooting for, or if you're not rooting for anybody. These are great games for baseball.
Tonight was one helluva a night for some great games!

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-18-2004, 10:29 PM

yup! Lets break out the BEER! :cheers:

err...coke :(:

:gulp:

RKMeibalane
10-18-2004, 10:31 PM
I agree. Games like tonight convince me that baseball is still a great sport, in spite of all of the problems the sport is facing right now. I think both of these series' are going to become even more interesting before it's all over.

batmanZoSo
10-18-2004, 10:32 PM

Yes. I don't buy that whole cubs winning is good for baseball or good for the city. Games like these two are what makes sports worth watching. It doesn't matter who's playing as long as it's great baseball. This is what MLB should hope for...not just big-market teams making it.

JGarlandrules20
10-18-2004, 10:32 PM
I don't care who you're rooting for, or if you're not rooting for anybody. These are great games for baseball.I've been glued...didnt even have time to start homework. Oh well...

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-18-2004, 10:33 PM
I've been glued...didnt even have time to start homework. Oh well...
ill be up till about 3:00 in the morning working on homework..your not alone dude! :thud:

Deadguy
10-18-2004, 10:33 PM
And MNF will still beat them out in the ratings. :o:

RKMeibalane
10-18-2004, 10:36 PM
Yes. I don't buy that whole cubs winning is good for baseball or good for the city. Games like these two are what makes sports worth watching. It doesn't matter who's playing as long as it's great baseball. This is what MLB should hope for...not just big-market teams making it.
Agree again. I hope MLB executives are learning something from these series. If there exists one common attribute shared by the four remaining teams, it is that they are all good teams, comprised of players who love the game of the baseball and who want to win. They aren't concerned about the media or the fans. They just want to win, because each win brings them closer to the ultimate prize.

Jjav829
10-18-2004, 10:37 PM
I definitely agree. The only bad thing about it was that the games overlapped so much that each game didn't get showcased fully. Personally, I flipped back and forth but for the majority of the night, my television was tuned to the Red Sox-Yankees. I just thought that was a more interesting game strategy wise. From Johnny Damon failing to get down the bunt, to him getting thrown out at 2nd, to David Ortiz stealing. Throw in the drama of Varitek struggling to catch Wakefield's knuckleball and Sheffield misplaying Mientkiewicz's double. That game had a lot of interesting moments. The Astros-Cards game was more a game of domination by the pitchers. Either way, these were two great games. I honestly did not watch a minute of Monday Night Football until a few seconds ago.

batmanZoSo
10-18-2004, 10:39 PM

That makes me sick. How DUMB are people? A regular season game between two football teams hundreds of miles away is of so little interest to me, it's scary. Now, playoffs, that's a different story. I'll never understand why everyone loves Monday Night Football, though.

batmanZoSo
10-18-2004, 10:40 PM
I definitely agree. The only bad thing about it was that the games overlapped so much that each game didn't get showcased fully. Personally, I flipped back and forth but for the majority of the night, my television was tuned to the Red Sox-Yankees. I just thought that was a more interesting game strategy wise. From Johnny Damon failing to get down the bunt, to him getting thrown out at 2nd, to David Ortiz stealing. Throw in the drama of Varitek struggling to catch Wakefield's knuckleball and Sheffield misplaying Mientkiewicz's double. That game had a lot of interesting moments. The Astros-Cards game was more a game of domination by the pitchers. Either way, these were two great games. I honestly did not watch a minute of Monday Night Football until a few seconds ago.

What channel was the NL game on? I couldn't find it until the AL game was over.

Jjav829
10-18-2004, 10:42 PM
What channel was the NL game on? I couldn't find it until the AL game was over.
FX. They switched Fox to the Astros-Cards game in Houston and St. Louis but the national coverage stayed with the Yankees and Red Sox until that game ended. They flashed it on the bottom of the screen a few times.

BTW, did anyone else think that the Astros-Cards game would finish before the Yankees-Red Sox?

batmanZoSo
10-18-2004, 10:49 PM
FX. They switched Fox to the Astros-Cards game in Houston and St. Louis but the national coverage stayed with the Yankees and Red Sox until that game ended. They flashed it on the bottom of the screen a few times.

BTW, did anyone else think that the Astros-Cards game would finish before the Yankees-Red Sox?

Damn it, I knew there was some Fox affiliate out there that I forgot. I went through all the channels once, but they must have been on a commercial at the time. I even checked that horrible PAX channel 38 on UHF...I remember the Seattle/Yankee series in 2000 was shown on that for at least a few innings.

Lip Man 1
10-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Riveting baseball.

Lip

SomebodyToldMe
10-18-2004, 11:11 PM
That drama with the knuckleball was great stuff.

Too bad both teams I wanted to win lost in dramatic fashion.

Huisj
10-18-2004, 11:59 PM
ill be up till about 3:00 in the morning working on homework..your not alone dude! :thud:
same deal happening to me. I got nothing done yesterday or today while the games are on. I'm paying the price too with the midterm crunch going on for me right now. ahhhhhh.

but seriously, these games are incredible to watch. i just can't step away.

fusillirob1983
10-19-2004, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I thought the Astros-Cards game would finish first. One of my friends, who's from New York, I think would have preferred the NLCS game to end first.

FarWestChicago
10-19-2004, 12:39 AM
BTW, did anyone else think that the Astros-Cards game would finish before the Yankees-Red Sox?Yes. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Deadguy
10-19-2004, 12:40 AM
same deal happening to me. I got nothing done yesterday or today while the games are on. I'm paying the price too with the midterm crunch going on for me right now. ahhhhhh.

but seriously, these games are incredible to watch. i just can't step away.
I got all you amateurs beat. I'll be up until 12:30 P.M. Of course I didn't actually wake up until 9:30 P.M., since I didn't get off work and fall asleep until 11 A.M. today...or is it yesterday? :)

Try staying up 65 consecutive hours, and see how you get a second wind after the first 48 hours.

Hangar18
10-19-2004, 01:05 PM
These have been very entertaining games. Note how this has nothing
to do with Bud Selig ........

Iwritecode
10-19-2004, 01:33 PM
These have been very entertaining games. Note how this has nothing
to do with Bud Selig ........

Well, if you want to get really technical, Houston and Boston are both in via the wild card...

Fenway
10-19-2004, 02:43 PM
Nope :D:
A second-straight extra-innings American League Championship Series game between the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees on Fox claimed the highest-rated hours among viewers 18-49 Monday night, averaging a 9.0 in the demo during both the 9 p.m. and 10 p.m. hours. Because of the live nature of the game and ABC’s “Monday Night Football,” final ratings may change, but overnight numbers say Fox finished on top for the night in 18-49s with a 8.3 average rating and 20 share. CBS finished second at 5.4/13, NBC third at 3.7/9, ABC fourth at 3.6/8, the WB fifth at 2.0/5, and UPN sixth at 1.6/4.

Fox led at 8 p.m. with baseball averaging a 7.7 18-49 rating. The Boston-New York game was supposed to be finished around 8 p.m. with coverage of the NLCS game between the Houston Astros and St. Louis Cardinals to follow. But the Sox and Yankees ended up playing the longest game in ALCS history, and the 14-inning game didn’t get over until after 10 p.m. That pushed Houston-St. Louis to FX across most of the country except for in Astros-Cards local markets. NBC was second during the 8 p.m. hour with a 4.4 average for “Fear Factor,” with CBS third with a 3.1 average for “Still Standing” (3.1) and Listen Up” (3.0).

At 9 p.m. Fox led again with a 9.0 average for baseball. CBS finished second with a 5.7 average for “Everybody Loves Raymond” (5.8) and “Two and a Half Men” (5.7). ABC’s game between the St. Louis Rams and Tampa Bay Buccaneers averaged a 4.3 rating that hour, tied for third with NBC’s “Las Vegas.”

Fox led again at 10 p.m. with another 9.0 average for baseball. CBS was second with a 7.4 average for “CSI: Miami,” while ABC’s football coverage averaged a 3.9 and finished third. Fox led the night among households with a 14.1 average rating and 21 share. CBS was second at 9.8/15, ABC third at 6.3/9, NBC fourth at 6.2/9, the WB fifth at 3.2/5, and UPN sixth at 2.4/4.

http://www.top5s.com/tvovernight.htm