PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals in Trouble

Viva Magglio
10-18-2004, 10:25 PM
Houston is now one victory away from its first World Series with the NLCS going back to St. Louis, and I am not so sure the Cardinals can win both games at Busch Stadium.

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-18-2004, 10:27 PM
Houston is now one victory away from its first World Series with the NLCS going back to St. Louis, and I am not so sure the Cardinals can win both games at Busch Stadium.
I hope they do. Go Cards. I've been supporting them since the start and i belive they deserve to go that far. I have nothing against the astros, in fact i love the astros, but Cards vs Astros? Pshh. Cards all the way

Jjav829
10-18-2004, 10:31 PM
Well, they will likely be facing Clemens and Oswalt both on 3 days rest. The Cards will counter with Matt Morris and Jeff Suppan. Obviously they'd rather be up 3-2, but I don't think they are out of it by any means. Oswalt looks to be tiring a little, and you have to wonder how many times Clemens can go on 3 days rest. That Astros bullpen is really not very good outside of Brad Lidge. They need to get Womack going. He did such a good job igniting their offense in the regular season but he's faded so far. One thing is for sure, these two game 6's are going to be really fun.

batmanZoSo
10-18-2004, 10:36 PM
Well, they will likely be facing Clemens and Oswalt both on 3 days rest. The Cards will counter with Matt Morris and Jeff Suppan. Obviously they'd rather be up 3-2, but I don't think they are out of it by any means. Oswalt looks to be tiring a little, and you have to wonder how many times Clemens can go on 3 days rest. That Astros bullpen is really not very good outside of Brad Lidge. They need to get Womack going. He did such a good job igniting their offense in the regular season but he's faded so far. One thing is for sure, these two game 6's are going to be really fun.

Yeah, thank god they both made it a series. It started off as a couple of laughers.

I wouldn't say the Cardinals are in much trouble because like you said, their two boys have got to be running on fumes right now. And Busch is gonna be rockin' and rollin', no doubt about it. A 3-2 lead going on the road is nothing. Ask the 2002 Giants. Ask the 91 Braves.

Jjav829
10-18-2004, 10:50 PM
Yeah, thank god they both made it a series. It started off as a couple of laughers.

I wouldn't say the Cardinals are in much trouble because like you said, their two boys have got to be running on fumes right now. And Busch is gonna be rockin' and rollin', no doubt about it. A 3-2 lead going on the road is nothing. Ask the 2002 Giants. Ask the 91 Braves.
It's an interesting question as to who has the upper hand in the series. I guess I would have to say the Astros simply because they are up 3-2 with Clemens and Oswalt going in the next two games. But I don't think it's that big of an advantage. The Cards have two good pitchers going, and Morris has been very good in his postseason career. The only thing they have working against them is the fact that Julian Tavarez broke his hand during his meltdown yesterday.

batmanZoSo
10-18-2004, 10:55 PM
It's an interesting question as to who has the upper hand in the series. I guess I would have to say the Astros simply because they are up 3-2 with Clemens and Oswalt going in the next two games. But I don't think it's that big of an advantage. The Cards have two good pitchers going, and Morris has been very good in his postseason career. The only thing they have working against them is the fact that Julian Tavarez broke his hand during his meltdown yesterday.

And on the other hand, it shouldn't be surprising if the Cardinals lose..they have pretty unspectacular pitching for a team that won 105 games.

SOXSINCE'70
10-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Steve Kline is on the D.L. ,Julian Tavarez breaks his pitching
hand throwing a tantrum after giving up the game winner to
Beltran in game 4,Chris Carpenter is no lock for the W.S.

There was a sign in the crowd during game 5
that sums it all up nicely:

"ST.LOUIS,NOW YOU HAVE A PROBLEM".

doublem23
10-19-2004, 08:14 PM
People down here are going bonkers.

It's kind of funny.

Viva Magglio
10-19-2004, 08:54 PM
What St. Louis has going for it with regard to Clemens and Oswalt going is last year when the Cubs were up 3-2 on the Marlins with Prior and Wood going in the next two games at home...and we all know what happened.

Jjav829
10-19-2004, 08:56 PM
What St. Louis has going for it with regard to Clemens and Oswalt going is last year when the Cubs were up 3-2 on the Marlins with Prior and Wood going in the next two games at home...and we all know what happened.
Actually, Garner has made what I consider to be a smart move, and named Pete Munro the starter for tomorrow's game. That said, I'm really torn. I started this series (and the playoffs) rooting for the Cardinals to win it all. Yet now I'm finding myself partial to the Astros.

batmanZoSo
10-19-2004, 10:17 PM
People down here are going bonkers.

It's kind of funny.

Bonkers...now that was a good candy. Haven't had that since the 80s.

Iguana775
10-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Actually, Garner has made what I consider to be a smart move, and named Pete Munro the starter for tomorrow's game. That said, I'm really torn. I started this series (and the playoffs) rooting for the Cardinals to win it all. Yet now I'm finding myself partial to the Astros.
It is a good move. then if they do go 7, they have clemons on full rest and still have Oz if needed for relief.

34 Inch Stick
10-20-2004, 08:55 AM
They might even be able to throw Oswalt out of the bullpen tonight for 1 inning. I think Houston is giving away tonight's game and will put all their hope on Clemens in game 7 pitching on 4 days rest. I would have done it the same way.

Chrisaway
10-20-2004, 02:40 PM
Yeah I doubt Houston's pitching can hold off the Cardinals bats tonight. Should be quite a doozy.

JoseCanseco6969
10-20-2004, 02:57 PM
I hope you are correct, GO STROS! nothing against the cards, but the stros have a better story this season