Brian26
10-18-2004, 09:41 PM
Sad story.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/tigers/0410/18/a01-306142.htm

batmanZoSo
10-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Sad story.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/tigers/0410/18/a01-306142.htm

I went to Jack Binion's last Saturday. Gambling...pure evil. Watching all those people stick dollars into those machines and the din of constant beep-da-deep-a-leeps going on is something else.

One on token, Cecil is an irresponsible oaf. But on another, you have to sympathize with him because gambling is just horrible and wrecks many lives.

santo=dorf
10-18-2004, 10:22 PM
That's a hell of a house he has for sale.

gobears1987
10-18-2004, 10:34 PM
:(:
Indeed it is sad. I went to my 1st baseball game in 1992 when I was 5 or 6. Cecil Fielder was the only player I knew so I was rooting for him. I was living in Michigan at the time. Cecil Fielder did hit a homer that game. But, so did another player, one who I didn't know yet but would soon be my favorite. You guessed it, the Big Hurt. The next year I went to two more, both against the Sox, and guess what Frank hit one HR per game. (he was AL MVP that year.) I didn't go to another game until 1995, but I insisted it be a Sox game. Frank hit a HR again. I went to a game every year at the old Tiger stadium and with the exception of 1997, they were all against the Sox (1997 was against Seattle since I had Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball for SNES and was a fan of his.) 1998 was my last game at Tiger stadium. I saw Frank hit a homer along with a new player, Magglio Ordonez.

So, I guess it is through Cecil Fielder I became a Sox fan. Even when I was a Sox fan in the early-mid 1990's, I still wanted him to do well. I moved to Valpo, IN in April 1999 and since have gone to my Sox games at USCF. Up until July 16, 2004 Frank hit a HR every game I went to. He didn't hit one then because he was on the DL. It was a sad night that will be remembered for the Hunter-Burke incident.

At least I got to see Frank hit a HR on June 22, 2004 of this year against the Toons.

RKMeibalane
10-18-2004, 10:41 PM
:(:
Indeed it is sad. I went to my 1st baseball game in 1992 when I was 5 or 6. Cecil Fielder was the only player I knew so I was rooting for him. I was living in Michigan at the time. Cecil Fielder did hit a homer that game. But, so did another player, one who I didn't know yet but would soon be my favorite. You guessed it, the Big Hurt. The next year I went to two more, both against the Sox, and guess what Frank hit one HR per game. (he was AL MVP that year.) I didn't go to another game until 1995, but I insisted it be a Sox game. Frank hit a HR again. I went to a game every year at the old Tiger stadium and with the exception of 1997, they were all against the Sox (1997 was against Seattle since I had Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball for SNES and was a fan of his.) 1998 was my last game at Tiger stadium. I saw Frank hit a homer along with a new player, Magglio Ordonez.

So, I guess it is through Cecil Fielder I became a Sox fan. Even when I was a Sox fan in the early-mid 1990's, I still wanted him to do well. I moved to Valpo, IN in April 1999 and since have gone to my Sox games at USCF. Up until July 16, 2004 Frank hit a HR every game I went to. He didn't hit one then because he was on the DL. It was a sad night that will be remembered for the Hunter-Burke incident.

At least I got to see Frank hit a HR on June 22, 2004 of this year against the Toons.
We need to find some way to have you at every home game next season, so Frank will hit eighty one home runs.

gobears1987
10-18-2004, 10:43 PM
We need to find some way to have you at every home game next season, so Frank will hit eighty one home runs. If I could afford it and find a way to get out of school I'd get season tickets. Although, I'm wondering if the streak may not hold true anymore since he was on the DL and didn't hit a HR during my last Sox game, which was definitely the worst game of the year.

Deadguy
10-18-2004, 10:51 PM
I'm guessing once his baseball career ended, he had nothing left to occupy his free time with except excessive gambling. He always seemed to be a man of excess. It was either this, or stuffing his face until he reached 400 lbs and died of a heart attack. He didn't seem to be the type who could take up gardening as a hobby to kill some time. Looking at different ventures in which he could invest his money could have been a hobby in it of itself that could have consumed the rest of his life, had he chosen that route. Now it is up to Prince to save the family name.

Anyone else notice that he graduated from UNLV?

fusillirob1983
10-19-2004, 01:29 AM
Wasn't the Hunter-Burke game somewhere around the 26th or 27th of July? Sorry to go on a tangent.

Kilroy
10-19-2004, 01:58 AM
I went to Jack Binion's last Saturday. Gambling...pure evil. Watching all those people stick dollars into those machines and the din of constant beep-da-deep-a-leeps going on is something else.

How wrong you are. Its not gambling thats the problem. There's something within a person like Fielder that is his problem. If it weren't gambling, it would be some other thing that he obsessed over. For every one person like Fielder, there's 100,000 like me who gamble every so often, have a good time doing it, and know when to pick up and go home. But they don't write stories about that. Blaming gambling for what Fielder did is like blaming a car for speeding.

kittle42
10-19-2004, 10:51 AM
How wrong you are. Its not gambling thats the problem. There's something within a person like Fielder that is his problem. If it weren't gambling, it would be some other thing that he obsessed over. For every one person like Fielder, there's 100,000 like me who gamble every so often, have a good time doing it, and know when to pick up and go home. But they don't write stories about that. Blaming gambling for what Fielder did is like blaming a car for speeding.
This is America, Kilroy....NOTHING is EVER ANYONE'S fault....pass the buck.

34rancher
10-19-2004, 12:23 PM
This is America, Kilroy....NOTHING is EVER ANYONE'S fault....pass the buck.
And then blame them while you sue them.....

But hey, as long as you feel good about yourself doing it...

SOXSINCE'70
10-19-2004, 12:58 PM
Wasn't the Hunter-Burke game somewhere around the 26th or 27th of July? Sorry to go on a tangent.
It was 7/27,I believe.

akingamongstmen
10-19-2004, 01:14 PM
Very sad story indeed. I always liked Cecil. He always seemed to really enjoy playing ball. He had a larger than life persona that made him extremely likable. Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens to a lot of people. He probably got bored with being retired, and was looking for a thrill. The worst part of all of this is that Prince (well on his way to a big league career in Milwaukee) is going to have to deal with it. The creditors might start harassing him, and he'll probably feel obligated to pay them off to help his family. Hopefully, one day, he'll be able to do his own thing, and maybe even get his dad the help that he needs.

I_Liked_Manuel
10-19-2004, 02:12 PM
why am i supposed to feel bad for somebody that had everything and threw it away?

John Barrett
10-19-2004, 03:51 PM
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: Who cares... sounds like a big charter flaw to me ... I feel sorry for his family... as for him stay in hiding!!!

Kilroy
10-19-2004, 04:32 PM
why am i supposed to feel bad for somebody that had everything and threw it away?
Who says you're supposed to feel bad for him? I don't.

gobears1987
10-19-2004, 04:44 PM
I feel bad for him. I'm not saying it isn't his fault, and it is his fault, but if it wasn't for Cecil, I'd never get into baseball. I never would've seen the White Sox play and see Frank Thomas hit those homers at Tiger Stadium that made me a Sox fan.

santo=dorf
10-19-2004, 05:46 PM
His son will be a millionaire in a couple of years. I'm sure he'll take care of daddy.

I remember an article in SI: Kids in which they showed a picture of his fat-ass son who was 10 at the time. Cecil said his son ate McDonald's for every meal everyday when he was playing in Japan because he didn't like Japanese food.

Hell, Cecil should've filmed it. "Super Size Me" has been a huge success at the box office. :D: