PDA

View Full Version : would you still like Sammy if...

mike squires
10-18-2004, 04:12 PM
he still played for us? I'm sure it's been discussed before but what if Sammy still played for the Sox or what if we reaquired him a few years ago would he be a fan favorite at Comiskey? It's funny how you can hate a guy like Dennis Rodman but then he's a bull and he's the best. Would you adore the Sammy hop and cheer after a homerun? Just a question...

kittle42
10-18-2004, 04:15 PM
I'd like to say no but I did cheer for Albert Belle, Sandy Alomar, Bartolo Colon and Roberto Alomar...

Baby Fisk
10-18-2004, 04:18 PM
Damme! That's a weird question to ponder. It's like, would you have liked Stalin if he was governor of Illinois and belonged to your political party of choice? Okay, it's not like that, but still... damme! :?:

StillMissOzzie
10-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Damme! That's a weird question to ponder. It's like, would you have liked Stalin if he was governor of Illinois and belonged to your political party of choice? Okay, it's not like that, but still... damme! :?:
Damn! Is that how they spell damn in Canada? Okay, it's not like colour or cheque but...damn!

SMO
:D:

idseer
10-18-2004, 04:33 PM
he still played for us? I'm sure it's been discussed before but what if Sammy still played for the Sox or what if we reaquired him a few years ago would he be a fan favorite at Comiskey? It's funny how you can hate a guy like Dennis Rodman but then he's a bull and he's the best. Would you adore the Sammy hop and cheer after a homerun? Just a question...
truthfully, i never liked rodman and that didn't` change when he became a bull.
i never liked belle either.
and i wouldn't like sosa because of the fairly dispicable person that he is.

"a rose by any other name ......."

Baby Fisk
10-18-2004, 04:35 PM
Damn! Is that how they spell damn in Canada? Okay, it's not like colour or cheque but...damn!

SMO
:D:Sorry, eh? :smile:
The perplexing notion of Sammy as a Sox messed me up, and some kind of antiquated spelling came out. :unsure:

LongLiveFisk
10-18-2004, 05:39 PM

I don't know. I've always been of the opinion that had Sosa stayed with the Sox, he never in a million years would have became the home-run hitting hotdog that he became in Cubbie pinstripes. If I remember correctly the Sox were platooning him an awful lot back then. I think he would have been a decent player eventually but not at all like he turned out after the trade.

Just my 2 cents (which is probably all it's worth!)

Nellie_Fox
10-18-2004, 05:55 PM
And I'm another one who found Rodman just as obnoxious when he was a Bull as before.

SoxFan76
10-18-2004, 06:05 PM
Some Sox fans hate Frank Thomas for whatever reason, and he is on the Sox. I say no doubt I would feel the same way about Sammy if he were still on the Sox. First of all, he's a crappy ball player, and second, he is still not a good person.

Mohoney
10-18-2004, 08:14 PM
Personally, I think I could love Satan himself if he hit over 500 home runs in a Sox uniform.

This question is very thought provoking. I'm not going to immediately dismiss it just because I hate Sosa.

If Derek Jeter was in our uniform, or Barry Bonds, or any other superstar that I hate, I just might turn over to the Dark Side. I guess, for me, it all depends on how they produced when they were here.

SOXPHILE
10-18-2004, 09:56 PM
God, I hope we never find out. I still didn't like Albert Belle or another wife beater- Will Cordero, when they were here. A similar situation, but a different sport was when John Starks played for the Bulls for a few games back during the lockout shortened 1999-2000 NBA season. I went to a bunch of games that year, and every time he touched the ball, he was booed loudly. Then, occasionally, he'd score a basket, and there would be cheering. But the next time he had the ball, the booing resumed. What a disaster. Very weird.

Deadguy
10-18-2004, 10:02 PM
I'd be a huge fan. I loved Albert and Tony Phillips, and they weren't even here that long. If Sammy was here, that would mean his tenure on this team would have extended all the way back to 1989, although I'd probably admit he's a bit overrated, considering his OBP is ussually pretty poor.

npdempse
10-18-2004, 11:35 PM
Since the final game fiasco, I haven't talked to a single Cubs fan who doesn't want to see him traded.

Huisj
10-18-2004, 11:56 PM
I think that Rodman on your favorite team is a lot easier to like than Sosa. Rodman was a total spaz and a headcase, but at the same time, he was just plain scary on the court because he was one of the best all out hustling and hard-nosed players ever. The way he played so hard makes him a bit more tolarable.

Sosa doesn't have that hard nosed all out kind of play at all. Sox fans know a lazy player when they see one on their team, and they simply wouldn't tolerate a lazy player like him even if he was hitting the homron.

StillMissOzzie
10-19-2004, 12:59 AM
I don't know. I've always been of the opinion that had Sosa stayed with the Sox, he never in a million years would have became the home-run hitting hotdog that he became in Cubbie pinstripes. If I remember correctly the Sox were platooning him an awful lot back then. I think he would have been a decent player eventually but not at all like he turned out after the trade.

Just my 2 cents (which is probably all it's worth!)
True dat, 'cuz Shammy has blamed Walt Hriniak for screwing up his swing. For the Sox' part, they had pretty much given up on him as uncoachable. I for one thought the Bell-for-Sosa trade was a good thing when it happened. To Larry Himes' credit, he traded twice to acquire Shammy.

SMO
:gulp:

Palehose13
10-19-2004, 08:29 AM
I didn't like him on the Sox the first time around. I don't see why that would change.

chuckn98229
10-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Speaking of Stalin - has anyone noticed how the Cubune is now like the Soviet Union's press during the cold war?? The Russian Press (Tass? Pravda?) would drop hints as to who was in and out of favor in the Politburo. That's the only way the West could discern the political intrigue within the Communist Party apparatus. For years, the Cubune defended Sammy's every idiotic antic. Now suddenly, he is being lambasted. I guess the Politburo in Tribune Tower has decided it's time for Sammy to go.

Justafan
10-19-2004, 09:40 AM
I think you root for any player to do well on the field when they play for your team. Sosa is just a big kid who will always need attention.

Kilroy
10-19-2004, 10:05 AM
It's funny how you can hate a guy like Dennis Rodman but then he's a bull and he's the best.
I hated every minute that Rodman was a Bull, and I never cheered for him (except when he got suspended because I wouldn't have to watch his sorry ass). I never felt to happy about any of the titles they won w/ him. In 97 I secretly hoped the Jazz would win, and in 98, I openly pulled for them. As soon as Rodman was gone, I felt die hard again about the Bulls, but they managed to suck all the enthusiasm out of me with 6 years of crap.

Similarly, I had a really tough time pulling for Belle for the longest time. That finally changed when he got so red-hot the last 2/3rds of what turned out to be his final season w/ us. It seemed like no one could get him out. I remember thinking that I didn't want to like him, but I couldn't help it. 50 homers and 50 dingers was something to watch.

fusillirob1983
10-19-2004, 10:21 AM
I liked Rodman before he was on the Bulls and when he was on the Bulls. Of course, I was about 12 or 13 at the time, so of course everyone I knew thought he was cool too.

Except when he kicked the camera guy, that was the only thing I didn't like about him.

Dick Allen
10-19-2004, 10:34 AM
Though Rodman was still a tool, as someone pointed out before, nobody hustled and left everything on the court more than he did.

pearso66
10-20-2004, 12:18 AM
I always liked Rodman, because he always gave 200% on the court. Who cares what they do off the court/field, as long as its legal. Sammy was a jerk off the field, and on the field. He never gave 100% so I of course would still hate him. Would I have cheered for him to do well? Of course, because I always cheer for my teams. Not every person has to like every person on their favorite teams. I remember I couldnt stand Jeff Abbott, and I was the one cheering the hardest at the Sox/Twins game I was at when he hit a walk off Homer.

Parrothead
10-20-2004, 06:42 AM
I did not like him when he was with the Sox. I used to sit in Right field at Old Comiskey and harrass him. Now maybe my attitude would have changed if his did but I would like to think that I would say that Sammy is still a drillrod.