PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts 10/18/04

Hangar18
10-18-2004, 11:09 AM
I was at Borders yesterday, and while I was waiting in a long line with my
Spinal Tap DVD purchase, I noticed 4 Photographic books on the Chicago Area
on display by the cash register. One of the books featured the John Hancock, Building, Lake Michigan, Water Tower ......and Sammy Sosa. A bit miffed ...
I decided to check the book out. Pretty nice book, breaks Chicago down into 4 areas, give directions, shows pictures, and gives you a bit of history also on what it is your going to see. Wrigleville/WrigleyField was display very prominently, including a pic of The Urinal and how/when to get there.
No where were the White Sox/UsCellular Field even mentioned in the book.
Looking thru the Index, it mentions that there is a UsCellular Field, home of "the white sox american league baseball team".
The book is "Chicago ..... an Eyewitness Tour Guide by DK Books.

these are the other 3 books prominently displayed.

* Chicago, A Photographic Celebration - Courage Books
very nice coffee table book, with big colorful pictures of important chicago landmarks, destinations. It does include a special section dedicated to
Chicagos Sports Teams, with a Big Picture of Soldier Field, the United Center,
and a Wrigley Field picture along with Harry Carays (since many cub fans flock to this destination). Not one sox picture/mention

* Illionois Impressions - Scott Avetta
very nice pictures by an acclaimed (allegedly) photographer who hails from Missouri. Very nice pictures, most on the quaint side, and showing all of Illinois, so lot of farm/country/wildlife pictures. There is a special section on Chicago that makes sure to show Sears Tower/WaterTower/NavyPier/Museums/Michigan ave and of course ....
the one that stands out is Ronnie Woo Woo in front of Wrigley Field.
again. not a single SOX picture/nor even mentioned

* Chicago, a Pictorial Tour - Whitecap Books
very very nice pictures of many of chicagos landmarks, often at dusk showing off the citys lights. many of the pictures were frame-worthy.
But the first page, which details what you are about to see went something
like this, " From grandslams at Wrigley Field to Lakeshore excursions, this book about Chicago offers ......." blah blah blah. Yes, there is a section
that details Chicagos sports stadiums, and somehow, again, the SOX are
not included. Nor are they ever mentioned as also being from Chicago.

Now before people like Steff start saying "wah wah" the "sox dont deserve the press" or "hangar, youve got too much time on your hands" ........
this is simply, an interesting observation and begs the question.
Why is the SOX Marketing Dept allowing this to continue? Wheres Uncle
Jerry in all this?

Tekijawa
10-18-2004, 12:12 PM
No disrespect Hangar, but what do you do for a living that allows all this free time? And are they hiring? From what I've been able to gather it's something that has some travel to AL cities and allows you to go out to the bars a lot during the baseball season... I haven't figured out if Books are also involved, but you do mention them quite a bit.

I'm 6'7" if that helps
I have a Bachelors Degree in Communications from Augustana College in Rock Island, IL
Die Hard White Sox fan
I also have 5+ years of Sales Experience... let me know if they are looking

jabrch
10-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Why is the SOX Marketing Dept allowing this to continue? Wheres Uncle Jerry in all this?
What can the mktg dept or the owner of a baseball team do about what an author/photographer choses to write/shoot in a book? Color me confused.

Rocky Soprano
10-18-2004, 12:37 PM
What can the mktg dept or the owner of a baseball team do about what an author/photographer choses to write/shoot in a book? Color me confused.
I asked myself the same question.

We know very well that there is a media bias towards the Cubs. We all know the reason for it. So why are we acting surprised when stuff like this happens? Want to see a change, write your own book and make it all about the Sox.

Dick Allen
10-18-2004, 12:41 PM
No disrespect Hangar, but what do you do for a living that allows all this free time? And are they hiring? From what I've been able to gather it's something that has some travel to AL cities and allows you to go out to the bars a lot during the baseball season... I haven't figured out if Books are also involved, but you do mention them quite a bit.

I'm 6'7" if that helps
I have a Bachelors Degree in Communications from Augustana College in Rock Island, IL
Die Hard White Sox fan
I also have 5+ years of Sales Experience... let me know if they are lookingWell, he was at a bookstore on a Sunday - so was I, and I have a steady job (last I checked).

Brian26
10-18-2004, 01:19 PM

I'm 6'7" if that helps
Die Hard White Sox fan

This is possibly the funniest post I've ever read on this site, and I mean that with no disrespect to Hangar. I often wonder what the hell he does for a living that allows him to hit the gin mills every night during the work week and travel with the team on so many road trips. LOL.

Baby Fisk
10-18-2004, 01:22 PM
This is possibly the funniest post I've ever read on this site, and I mean that with no disrespect to Hangar. I often wonder what the hell he does for a living that allows him to hit the gin mills every night during the work week and travel with the team on so many road trips. LOL.It would be even more hilarious if Hangar was actually a disgruntled White Sox employee, maybe even Special Assistant to the Chairman. (Isn't there a photo of them together somewhere on this site?) ho ho!

DirtySouthsider
10-18-2004, 01:24 PM
This is possibly the funniest post I've ever read on this site, and I mean that with no disrespect to Hangar. I often wonder what the hell he does for a living that allows him to hit the gin mills every night during the work week and travel with the team on so many road trips. LOL.

hey I give Hangar credit for spending his free time on a Sunday at a book store...........Oh wait, he was there to buy Spinal Tap on DVD......forget what I said. :D:

steff
10-18-2004, 01:24 PM

I'm 6'7" if that helps
Die Hard White Sox fan

:roflmao: :worship: :rolling:

robertks61
10-18-2004, 01:43 PM
It is pretty sickening to go into book stores & read the news without any mention of the White Sox existence!

bennyw41
10-18-2004, 05:43 PM
Why do people need proof of the Sox existing to be fans? Who cares if there is more books. Does that effect your fandom?

SoxFan76
10-18-2004, 05:53 PM
We all know that Sox fans are out there. It is just that Sox fans don't want to spend money to see a losing team. Remember what happened this year when the Sox were winning and they were in first? Yeah, US Cellular was sold out day after day. What argument do Cub fans have against us if the Cell is sold out? None. If the Sox win, people will know they exist. They will know the fans exist. The Sox need to worry about winning, and we need to worry about our team, period.

maurice
10-18-2004, 05:53 PM
It negatively affects Sox attendance . . . as do racial stereotypes and suggestions that the entire South Side is dangerous relative to the super-secure North Side. People purchase some of these books to get info about how to spend vacation money in Chicago. No info on Sox --> no vacation money for Sox --> more excuses for JR to keep payroll at small-market levels --> no playoffs. (Sure, winning is a better way to increase attendance, but the Trib has proven that it's not the only way.)

Aside from this connection, I don't give a flying **** what anybody says or does not say about the Sox and the South Side.

Medford Bobby
10-18-2004, 06:59 PM
:angry: My God, how many times do I have to remind you that after Sept 29, 1967 the White Sox ceased to exist and folded up in 1968. That's why you see nothing about the White Sox in the history books after 1968. Maybe Daley should have dragged a few hippies to Old Comiskey and beat the crap out of them there instead of doing that at Grant Park..................:(:

chisoxmike
10-18-2004, 07:22 PM
I've also noticed at Borders, and other book stores in the Chicago area, there are a ton of books about the Cubs in the baseball section. They all detail their "wonderful history" and "beautiful ballpark" Ive only seen one book about the White Sox and it was the White Sox Encyopedia and its outdated, it ends after the 1996 season. There were also several books about the Black Sox scandal and Shoeless Joe, but thats it. Nothing like Tales from the 'sox' dugout, or, "for love of the sox." I never see anything like that, but for the cubs, of course, there are plenty of book to read about the losers.

pinwheels3530
10-18-2004, 07:58 PM
It negatively affects Sox attendance . . . as do racial stereotypes and suggestions that the entire South Side is dangerous relative to the super-secure North Side. People purchase some of these books to get info about how to spend vacation money in Chicago. No info on Sox --> no vacation money for Sox --> more excuses for JR to keep payroll at small-market levels --> no playoffs. (Sure, winning is a better way to increase attendance, but the Trib has proven that it's not the only way.)

Aside from this connection, I don't give a flying **** what anybody says or does not say about the Sox and the South Side.

This is a lie that the cubs always tell their tourist fans visiting Wrigley....that the Sox are scum, the south side is dangerous etc......we have to prove that perception wrong, it's a difficult thing to do with the media bias that favors the cubs and their fake lovable image.

ewokpelts
10-18-2004, 10:18 PM
This is possibly the funniest post I've ever read on this site, and I mean that with no disrespect to Hangar. I often wonder what the hell he does for a living that allows him to hit the gin mills every night during the work week and travel with the team on so many road trips. LOL.:reinsy
He's my assistant.

ewokpelts
10-18-2004, 10:20 PM
I've also noticed at Borders, and other book stores in the Chicago area, there are a ton of books about the Cubs in the baseball section. They all detail their "wonderful history" and "beautiful ballpark" Ive only seen one book about the White Sox and it was the White Sox Encyopedia and its outdated, it ends after the 1996 season. There were also several books about the Black Sox scandal and Shoeless Joe, but thats it. Nothing like Tales from the 'sox' dugout, or, "for love of the sox." I never see anything like that, but for the cubs, of course, there are plenty of book to read about the losers.it's because people will buy those books....
Gene

soxnut
10-19-2004, 12:25 AM
it's because people will buy those books....
Gene
Exactly.

And, there aren't any Sox fans smart enough to write books, let alone that have fans that know how to read.

Dan H
10-19-2004, 10:12 AM
Exactly.

And, there aren't any Sox fans smart enough to write books, let alone that have fans that know how to read.
I take issue with that since I have written two of them.

Actually Hangar has point. You go to the store and see 13 or 14 Cub books and nothing recent on the White Sox . Is it because Sox fans won't buy them or is it because the team isn't actively marketing itself again? My most recent book has sold fairly well at Grandstand, the shop near the ballpark. When I sold my first book at SoxFest in 2002, I did well too. But I am an unknown and so it is hard for me to get my message out. The Score won't put me on the air and the Tribune and Sun-Times never showed an interest in doing a story on me even though they have done similar stories about other writers.

The Tribune Company does all it can do win the propraganda war. Don't think it doesn't make a difference. In the long run it does. When you tell someone over and over again that your product is great, people start to believe it. A strong fan base is built over generations not by winning one divison championship every ten years and then complaining about your image.

ewokpelts
10-19-2004, 11:18 AM

Actually Hangar has point. You go to the store and see 13 or 14 Cub books and nothing recent on the White Sox . Is it because Sox fans won't buy them or is it because the team isn't actively marketing itself again? My most recent book has sold fairly well at Grandstand, the shop near the ballpark. When I sold my first book at SoxFest in 2002, I did well too. But I am an unknown and so it is hard for me to get my message out. The Score won't put me on the air and the Tribune and Sun-Times never showed an interest in doing a story on me even though they have done similar stories about other writers.

The Tribune Company does all it can do win the propraganda war. Don't think it doesn't make a difference. In the long run it does. When you tell someone over and over again that your product is great, people start to believe it. A strong fan base is built over generations not by winning one divison championship every ten years and then complaining about your image.Dan,
Were these "other writers" promoting Cub Books?
Gene

pinwheels3530
10-19-2004, 11:43 AM

The Tribune Company does all it can do win the propraganda war. Don't think it doesn't make a difference. In the long run it does. When you tell someone over and over again that your product is great, people start to believe it. A strong fan base is built over generations not by winning one divison championship every ten years and then complaining about your image.

It's both, win the Sox are winning the fans will buy new jersey's, books, hats, etc, but when were losing a boy forgot about it. The Cubs know how to market themselves to the tourist, while the Sox have never really tried.

On the marketing side of this baseball team we all know the sox have never really been good at that, hopefully things are starting to change. The main thing the Sox have to do is change the perception that they are satisfied with being the second team in town. Rob Gallas was content with being second fiddle, where it seems like Brook Boyer wants a bigger slice of the pie.

Hangar18
10-19-2004, 12:53 PM
Dan,
Were these "other writers" promoting Cub Books?
Gene

YUP, ALL CUB related books by these schmucks.
Someone try this. Call Murphs Cub evening show, and tell them your
Jack Clownoffski, and that your a "life-long" (notice how these days,
every cub fan starts their sentences with 'Ive-was-a-fan-when-noone-came-here') cub fan and your new book is coming out entitled (Pick a title 1: What it means to be a cub fan OR 2: Cub fan forever) and you want to promote
your "book", and note how FAST they will get you on the air. Note
how the Cubune or the Cub-Times didnt return Dans calls regarding his books.
Yes, if the propoganda machine keeps telling you how great that other team is and how much "history" they have, and how everyone "loves" them, you'll start to believe it. I blame Jerry Reinsdorf and the Marketing Dept for IGNORING this growing problem, something ive noticed for years and years, something some here say I pay too much attention to, or use the (:whiner: )
symbol to mock my complaint. Oh well, it is what it is. 14 cub books,
and a 4 books related to Chicago Tourism, which conveniently IGNORE the
White Sox. No wonder were 2nd team in this town. We let it happen

Lip Man 1
10-19-2004, 01:23 PM
Dan:

Well said...and I enjoyed both of your books.

Lip