PDA

View Full Version : No Rivalry

batmanZoSo
10-17-2004, 05:26 PM
After game one, I caught some of Mariotti's rant about how this NY/BOS thing is the best rivalry in pro sports. That's bullcrap. This is no rivalry. In order to have one, both teams must win occasionally and the Red Sox NEVER WIN. Now they're gonna get swept...do you see them winning a game? What a pathetic, disappointing performance from the best Red Sox team in almost 20 years.

You have Schilling and Pedro starting it off, both of them choke. Schil gets a little slack, but I'm sure if he were 100% he'd have choked anyway by virtue of the uniform he wears. Meanwhile, the Yankees have the audacity to start Jon Lieber in game 2 and he throws a shut out. Unbelievable. This whole thing is sick, stupid, overhyped, one-sided, tedious, boring and did I say stupid?

Mariotti, you're a choad. Media, you suck.

I don't want to see anymore "Instant Classics" on ESPN Classic the day after a Pedro Shutout in the Bronx in May. In the end, the Yankees will win the division and when the two meet in the playoffs, the Yankees will ALWAYS win.

Red Sox = Losers.

chisoxmike
10-17-2004, 05:43 PM
I am so tired of seeing all these Red Sox/Yankees games ALL WEEK on ESPN classic. They have been showing Games 4 & 7 of the 2003 ALCS all week, and that 1-hour special on the 2003 ALCS too. It's getting old very fast.

Again, the media hype backfired this year. Just like the Cubs "going to the world series," the Yankees/Red Sox rematch was supposed to be the greatest event of mankind, but no, its been lackluster. If you're a Yankees fan, of course its been great. But for baseball fans who wanted to see a good series, its been wasted, and the Cardinals/Astors series which is actually entertaining is getting next to nothing.

RKMeibalane
10-17-2004, 06:15 PM
After game one, I caught some of Mariotti's rant about how this NY/BOS thing is the best rivalry in pro sports. That's bullcrap. This is no rivalry. In order to have one, both teams must win occasionally and the Red Sox NEVER WIN. Now they're gonna get swept...do you see them winning a game? What a pathetic, disappointing performance from the best Red Sox team in almost 20 years.

You have Schilling and Pedro starting it off, both of them choke. Schil gets a little slack, but I'm sure if he were 100% he'd have choked anyway by virtue of the uniform he wears. Meanwhile, the Yankees have the audacity to start Jon Lieber in game 2 and he throws a shut out. Unbelievable. This whole thing is sick, stupid, overhyped, one-sided, tedious, boring and did I say stupid?

I don't want to see anymore "Instant Classics" on ESPN Classic the day after a Pedro Shutout in the Bronx in May. In the end, the Yankees will win the division and when the two meet in the playoffs, the Yankees will ALWAYS win.

Red Sox = Losers.
The Red Sox choked. I don't think that Pedro Martinez choked. He gave up three runs during his Game Two start. That's not bad. If the Red Sox offense had bothered to show up, they probably would have won that game. I agree with the rest of your post, though. The Red Sox need to actually win something before this can be considered a true rivalry.

StockdaleForVeep
10-17-2004, 06:21 PM

Red Sox = Losers.

teams fluctuate. Its all relative, its currently the yankees century

FightingBillini
10-17-2004, 06:28 PM
Oh contraire, I think the the Red Sox will win the next three games. They will get up the hopes of all those miserable New Englanders, only to fall apart once again. The Red Sox will then take a lead into the late innings in game 7, just to choke.

samram
10-17-2004, 08:19 PM
teams fluctuate. Its all relative, its currently the yankees century
So was last century.

nitetrain8601
10-17-2004, 08:42 PM
Both teams have always won, you're just paying attention mostly to the recent success of the Yankees. The Red Sox win games in the regular season and have beaten them in the postseason. It's like with the Sox and Cubs. It's a big rivalry here even though we don't meet in the postseason and even though we usually beat them in the series, they still win some games. It's just the Sox and Yankees rivalry is magnified because of the past two meetings in the postseason.

bigfoot
10-17-2004, 09:05 PM
......and Notre Dame and Navy have a rivalry in football, too!

monkeypants
10-17-2004, 11:55 PM
There is no rivalry between a hammer and a nail.

batmanZoSo
10-18-2004, 08:48 PM
I am so tired of seeing all these Red Sox/Yankees games ALL WEEK on ESPN classic. They have been showing Games 4 & 7 of the 2003 ALCS all week, and that 1-hour special on the 2003 ALCS too. It's getting old very fast.

Again, the media hype backfired this year. Just like the Cubs "going to the world series," the Yankees/Red Sox rematch was supposed to be the greatest event of mankind, but no, its been lackluster. If you're a Yankees fan, of course its been great. But for baseball fans who wanted to see a good series, its been wasted, and the Cardinals/Astors series which is actually entertaining is getting next to nothing.

People like watching big name teams play each other. I like a fresh team in there and a great competitive series. I loved the 97 and 02 World Series because it was teams that you never see on that stage and both went seven games.

Railsplitter
10-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Yeah, ESPN Classic is going too far with the Yankees-Red SOx thing. How about some NFL Films stuff here and there? It's almost as bad as that Ken Burns documentary where teams outside of Boston and New York were hardly mentioned in many of the episodes.

DumpJerry
10-20-2004, 08:27 PM
Oh contraire, I think the the Red Sox will win the next three games. They will get up the hopes of all those miserable New Englanders, only to fall apart once again. The Red Sox will then take a lead into the late innings in game 7, just to choke.Ok Billini, Game 7 is about to start. Do you have lottery numbers???

soxwon
10-20-2004, 09:26 PM
gonna get swept ha ha ha

batmanZoSo
10-20-2004, 10:30 PM
Talk about the most ill-advised, premature thread of all time. My tarring and feathering is tomorrow at noon. But I'm SO glad I was wrong. My number one joy is a Sox win...number two is a Yankees playoff knockout.

I predict the White Sox to go 65-97 and finish dead last in the Central next year. Book it...

1951Campbell
10-20-2004, 10:34 PM
After game (http://begin2search.com/cgi-bin//ezlclk.fcgi?id=24) one, I caught some of Mariotti's rant about how this NY/BOS thing is the best rivalry in pro sports. That's bullcrap. This is no rivalry. In order to have one, both teams must win occasionally and the Red Sox NEVER WIN.
Which is precisely why the Packers/Bears "rivalry" is dead right now.

:duck:

(Yeah, sure they won last time...blind squirrel, meet the nut).

Dan H
10-21-2004, 10:49 AM
I'll tell you what is an overrated rivalry and that is the Cubs-Sox interleague games. The Cubs swept the Sox this year and took four of six overall. But I haven't heard many Cub fans gloat over it lately. Why? Because when you choke off another season, what difference does it make that you beat your cross-town rival? The Sox took four of six in 2003 and it didn't save their season.

The games have importance because they count in the standings. But the two teams have accomplished little. They should stop giving us crumbs by beating each other and win something that has real meaning for a change.