PDA

View Full Version : Twins Decline Option on Guzman!!

GiveMeSox
10-16-2004, 02:11 AM
I just heard on ESPN that the twins declined the option they had on Guzamn for 2005. He will now file for free agency. His option was for 5.25 mil in 05 after being paid 3.70 mil in 04. This is kinda good news. I think we should go after him and try and sign him to a multi year deal. He would be a great SS for us in terms of speed, bunting, and defense. He hits about .280 every year and could hit leadoff. Say something like 3 years 15 mil should do it. Even if he signs elswhere out of the division thats good for us that he is not on the twins anymore. Piece by peice the twins will lose there beloved team chemisty and scrappy cheap players they pride themselves in!!

OEO Magglio
10-16-2004, 02:15 AM
There is no denying that Guzman is a great defender and that he's fast, however he's not a good baserunner and he definitely couldn't leadoff. He had a .309 obp this year and hit .274, and crisitian has only hit .280 in his career once, usually he's way under that, if it's between Juan and Guzman to be the starting ss in 05 I'd choose Juan.

Nellie_Fox
10-16-2004, 02:22 AM
Guys, I live in Minnesota. Believe me, don't start fantasizing about Guzman. This guy just mentally disappears for games at a time. He is not the answer at short for the Sox.

gosox41
10-16-2004, 11:06 AM
Guys, I live in Minnesota. Believe me, don't start fantasizing about Guzman. This guy just mentally disappears for games at a time. He is not the answer at short for the Sox.
I'm nto a big Guzman fan and think he's overrated. It'd be a mistake for the Sox to get him.

Bob

depy48
10-16-2004, 01:18 PM
guzman=thug

Jjav829
10-16-2004, 01:22 PM
I don't want Guzman. I'd rather have Vizquel for a year or two than Guzman. Guzman is basically Willie Harris with a better glove. He's got great speed, but he simply doesn't get on base enough to utilize it. And when he is on base, despite his great speed, he's not the base stealer you would think he should be. I hope the Sox stay away from Guzman. If we're not going to go after a Renteria or Cabrera, I wouldn't mind going into next season with a middle infield of Vizquel and Uribe.

duke of dorwood
10-16-2004, 01:27 PM
He hit 274 on artificial surface-take at least 15 points off on grass and I'll pass on this zero

nitetrain8601
10-16-2004, 02:25 PM
Me too, I pass. Juan Uribe is better.

oldcomiskey
10-16-2004, 02:29 PM
Me too, I pass. Juan Uribe is better.
That makes one of us

Grobber33
10-16-2004, 03:12 PM
guzman=thug
Nice Warren Newsome reference. The Deacon is a trivia answer. He was the last Sox batter to homer in an LCS game(game 6 vs Blue Jays at Comiskey in 1993).

BTW, Last Sox winning Pitcher in any post season game? TIM BELCHER(game 4 at Skydome in relief of Jason Bere).

Gosox1917
10-16-2004, 05:37 PM
Does anyone else know who will be leaving the twins via free agency this offseason? I know Radke is a FA and they declined the option on the ancient Pat Borders but who else will be leaving the twinkies? Just wondering, thanks.

OEO Magglio
10-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Does anyone else know who will be leaving the twins via free agency this offseason? I know Radke is a FA and they declined the option on the ancient Pat Borders but who else will be leaving the twinkies? Just wondering, thanks.
Cory Koskie is also a fa.

JB98
10-16-2004, 06:50 PM
I don't think Guzman is any more than average defensively. I don't know where this notion that he is a "great" defender came from. Maybe it's because we are used to Jose, and everybody looks good in comparison to him. I'd much rather have Uribe at SS. He is better than Guzman both offensively and defensively. Really, I'd like us to pursue a 2B this offseason. Granted, we could put Uribe at 2B and get a SS, but I feel 2B is a gaping hole on the team and has been for three years.

Shingotime!!
10-16-2004, 07:38 PM
I dont know what is all the whinning about needing a SS and 2B is. I think Uribe would do fine are is this under the assumpition that if Uribe plays SS then we need a 2B and vise versa. Do we all agree that Uribe should start everyday or should he be what we thought we were getting, a utility man?

Soxzilla
10-16-2004, 07:43 PM
Add Jacque jones to that list.

sircaffey1
10-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Uribe will be a starter somehow come next season. Whether that is at SS, 2B, or even 3B, we don't know. I think we all can agree that we get plenty out of him for the price his is at. There are soooo many other places that need to have money spend on them. Uribe should be in the lineup next year hitting 6/7.

Shingotime!!
10-16-2004, 08:08 PM
I agree

mdep524
10-16-2004, 08:41 PM
I don't think Guzman is any more than average defensively. I don't know where this notion that he is a "great" defender came from. Maybe it's because we are used to Jose, and everybody looks good in comparison to him. I'd much rather have Uribe at SS. He is better than Guzman both offensively and defensively. Really, I'd like us to pursue a 2B this offseason. Granted, we could put Uribe at 2B and get a SS, but I feel 2B is a gaping hole on the team and has been for three years.
Thank you JB98 for pointing this out. Guys, Guzman is NOT a great defender. He is average at best. Juan Uribe is better in every facet of the game (except base stealing) than Guzman.

In summary: Guzman = NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!

Tragg
10-16-2004, 11:02 PM
Did I read 309 OBP and a salary of 5 mill or so?

Jose can get you a .300 OBP and hit 25 dingers

Forget that.

RKMeibalane
10-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Did I read 309 OBP and a salary of 5 mill or so?

Jose can get you a .300 OBP and hit 25 dingers

Forget that.
Guzman must really suck if he's causing us to hope that Jose Valentin is around next season. It's not surprising that Minnesota let him go.

rwcescato
10-16-2004, 11:51 PM
None of these guys leaving the team matter. They will find some guy in someones backyard and sign him and he will kill the Sox.

RKMeibalane
10-16-2004, 11:55 PM
None of these guys leaving the team matter. They will find some guy in someones backyard and sign him and he will kill the Sox.
Exactly. The Twins are a collection of interchangable parts. It doesn't matter who they lose or who leaves the team. They always find another player to fill his spot.

TwinsGeek
10-17-2004, 01:13 AM
...I suspect it will be these players:

- Luis Rivas (Michael Cuddyer will replace)
- Jacque Jones (Lew Ford/Jason Kubel/Matt LeCroy will replace)
- Cristian Guzman (maybe. They'll try to re-sign him cheaper. If not, they'll replace him with someone worse, like Pokey Reese)
- Jose Offerman
- Terry Mulholland
- Pat Borders
- possibly JC Romero, and possibly Matt LeCroy, but I think both will stay.

Radke and Koskie are also free agents, but the Twins will likely re-sign both, or that's the indication from the Twins and the players, so far. If they don't re-sign them, they'll go after free agents to replace them. The others, they'll let go.

batmanZoSo
10-17-2004, 02:42 AM

I agree there. Nobody ever says to look for a second baseman, overlooking that Uribe can play either position. In fact, I'm pretty sure he was always a shortstop before coming here. The good thing is we can get either position this offseason because Uribe can play either very well. Unless we get Vizquel, I think it would be best to put Uribe at short and find a second baseman because Uribe's got a cannon that's wasted at second.

johnny_mostil
10-17-2004, 11:56 AM
I agree there. Nobody ever says to look for a second baseman, overlooking that Uribe can play either position. In fact, I'm pretty sure he was always a shortstop before coming here. The good thing is we can get either position this offseason because Uribe can play either very well. Unless we get Vizquel, I think it would be best to put Uribe at short and find a second baseman because Uribe's got a cannon that's wasted at second.
And second basemen are cheaper than shortstops, don't forget.

MisterB
10-17-2004, 03:27 PM
And second basemen are cheaper than shortstops, don't forget.
Not if you want one that can help you offensively.

longshot7
10-18-2004, 02:47 PM
hmmm.... Jacque Jones = replacement for Maggs?

Nellie_Fox
10-18-2004, 06:56 PM
hmmm.... Jacque Jones = replacement for Maggs?Strikes out too much and has a weak arm. His arm was okay for left, has been exposed in right.