PDA

View Full Version : Marlins looking to get rid of Lowell

FightingBillini
10-15-2004, 10:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1902843

Lowells deal will expire when they dont get the stadium deal done by Nov. 1, and they are currently $30 mil short. The Marlins could be looking to trade him. The article speculates that Florida will move Cabrera back to his natural position as 3b, and look for a left fielder in a trade.

:caballo "Bye everybody"

That would be a great move to make, though I will hate to see Lee go. Maybe we can give them someone else for them to throw Pierre in.

cburns
10-15-2004, 11:36 PM
Lee, Crede for Lowell, Pierre? I don't want Caballo to go though

RKMeibalane
10-15-2004, 11:36 PM

Lowells deal will expire when they dont get the stadium deal done by Nov. 1, and they are currently $30 mil short. The Marlins could be looking to trade him. The article speculates that Florida will move Cabrera back to his natural position as 3b, and look for a left fielder in a trade.

:caballo "Bye everybody"

That would be a great move to make, though I will hate to see Lee go. Maybe we can give them someone else for them to throw Pierre in.
I think the part about Pierre should be in deep pink, but let's think for a moment about how such a trade would affect the Sox lineup. I'm assuming that Maggs won't be back next season, so the lineup would look like this:

CF- Pierre
LF- Rowand
DH- Thomas
3B- Lowell
1B- Konerko
RF- Everett
SS- Uribe
C- Davis
2B- Harris

This isn't a bad lineup by any stretch of the imagination. It is relatively well balanced as far as the number of left-handed and right-handed batters. Frank would benefit from having Pierre and Rowand in front of him, and Lowell and Konerko behind him. Pierre would be a nice fit for the type of baseball that Ozzie wants to play. The only bad part about this deal is that none of the players the Sox would get are "grinders."

soxfan26
10-16-2004, 06:32 AM

The article also says they are likely to loose Benitez & Pavano. So I don't see a Lee for Lowell deal from the Marlins perspective. Since Carlos is the more productive hitter, I don't like it from the Sox standpoint. Adding Pierre for Crede is just daydreaming and not really worth talking about.

The Marlins won't be swapping big contracts with anyone this offseason and if Carlos goes, I want it to be for starting pitching.

HomeFish
10-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Anyone else remember the last time the Marlins were "definitely" getting rid of Lowell?

batmanZoSo
10-16-2004, 07:52 PM
The article also says they are likely to loose Benitez & Pavano. So I don't see a Lee for Lowell deal from the Marlins perspective. Since Carlos is the more productive hitter, I don't like it from the Sox standpoint. Adding Pierre for Crede is just daydreaming and not really worth talking about.

The Marlins won't be swapping big contracts with anyone this offseason and if Carlos goes, I want it to be for starting pitching.

Lee put up bigger numbers than Lowell, but the void we have at third with Crede not hitting is too great not to make that trade. And getting Pierre too? That's a no-brainer.

shagar69
10-16-2004, 07:55 PM
lee, crede, anderson for lowell and pierre

Shingotime!!
10-16-2004, 08:21 PM
I would rather see a trade centered around Pierre. Leadoff and Pitching is what this team would need more that a middle of the line up guy.

Shingotime!!
10-16-2004, 08:38 PM
The only marlins i would welcome from the marlins are pierre, pavano, and benitez.

soxfan26
10-17-2004, 08:18 AM
Lee put up bigger numbers than Lowell, but the void we have at third with Crede not hitting is too great not to make that trade. And getting Pierre too? That's a no-brainer.I think the part about Pierre should be in deep pinkAdding Pierre for Crede is just daydreaming and not really worth talking about.A-Rod is a better 3B than Lowell so why not trade Crede & Lee for A-Rod and a PTBNL ???

:redneck

FightingBillini
10-17-2004, 09:56 AM
Ok, fair enough. Lowell will make $8 million next year. That is just around what Lee will make. The Marlins would make that trade becuase if they dont trade for Lowell, he will file for free agency, and then they will get nothing for him. As a few people posted on another thread, the Marlins have a stud CF, and might be looking to move Pierre. If we could do a swap involving Lowell and Pierre, I would do it in a heartbeat. Lowell may not be the hitter that Lee is, but he is still a middle of the lineup hitter. How many do we have returning next year? Just Frank and Paulie. Good teams have three or four guys that could be plugged into the 3-4 spot any game. We do need grinders, but we still need thunder in the lineup to drive them all in. From the Sox standpoint, this trade would help. Lowell's contract would be up after next year if he is traded. They would have an actual 3B, one who can hit AND field. We would get Pierre, who is a grinder, he will leadoff and play center. That allows us to move Rowand over to left, and keep his bat in the lineup. We would lose Lee, but we would fill 2 gaping holes, and only for $2mil extra, counting Pierre's salary. We would still be able to get pitching. I think KW would make this trade. It suppose it should be in deep pink, but if the Sox can give the Marlins what they need prospect and money wise, they can get it done.

ScottyTheSoxFan
10-18-2004, 01:53 PM
they want to deal lowell so they can move cabrera to 3rd. so why would they want joe crede?

Tekijawa
10-18-2004, 01:55 PM
How about this trade... Konerko and 30 Million in Cash for Cabrera... They can have Lowell

SoxxoS
10-18-2004, 02:44 PM
How about we throw in Crede for a Jack McKeon cigar?

Magglios_Girl
10-18-2004, 05:51 PM
How about we throw in Crede for a Jack McKeon cigar?:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/_photos/2003-10-18-mckeon-inside.jpg:smokin: