PDA

View Full Version : What hat should Ventura wear in the HOF

32nd&Wallace
10-15-2004, 06:34 PM
When Robin Ventura gets inducted into the HOF sometime around 2009, what hat do you think he should wear

Daver
10-15-2004, 06:35 PM
Robin Ventura is not a HOF player.

ja1022
10-15-2004, 06:37 PM
When Robin Ventura gets inducted into the HOF sometime around 2009, what hat do you think he should wear
I'm a Ventura fan, but your joking, right?? Right???? (If he did, which he won't though, the White Sox of course)

RKMeibalane
10-15-2004, 06:41 PM
I liked Robin, but let's be serious here. If Ventura makes it to the HOF, then players such as Wally Joyner, Andy Van Slyke, and Travis Fryman deserve to be inducted, as well. Each of these guys has accomplished things similar to Ventura. All were All Stars at some point during their careers, and all won at least one Gold Glove.

santo=dorf
10-15-2004, 06:43 PM
I don't think there is a dress code at the hall of fame, but I think it would be rude for Ventura to wear a sombrero or a 10-gallon hat when visiting Cooperstown.

MUsoxfan
10-15-2004, 06:49 PM

As Sox fans we're always quick to either overvalue or undervalue what we have or no longer have. This is an example of grossly overvaluing someone that we loved on the Southside. Ventura was a consistently good player, but sadly not HOF caliber. He hasn't even been starting on a regular basis for a while now.

ondafarm
10-15-2004, 06:55 PM
I would say if he gets inducted into the HOF and I think that's a remote possibility at best, then he would wear a White Sox hat.

RKMeibalane
10-15-2004, 06:56 PM
I would say if he gets inducted into the HOF and I think that's a remote possibility at best, then he would wear a White Sox hat.
Don't encourage him. Ventura will not be in the HOF.

SoxyStu
10-15-2004, 07:00 PM
I don't think there is a dress code at the hall of fame, but I think it would be rude for Ventura to wear a sombrero or a 10-gallon hat when visiting Cooperstown.
I'm all for the drinking helmet!

A.T. Money
10-15-2004, 10:07 PM
IF he got in, and that's a big IF, it would obviously be in a White Sox cap. He's done more in the Sox cap than the other teams combined. Well, except go to the WS twice with the NY teams.

Nellie_Fox
10-16-2004, 12:42 AM
Since you have nothing in your user profile, I can't begin to guess if you are just pulling everyone's chain, or if you are too young to have any realistic perspective on what it takes to be HOF material. Robin was one of my favorites while he was with the Sox. I was there for his game-winning grand slam that was mentioned on some of the other Robin threads (it was on July 31, my birthday is July 29, and it was my usual birthday trip to a ballgame.) But no way is Robin a HOF player. Be serious.

dickallen15
10-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Oklahoma State

gosox41
10-16-2004, 11:01 AM
A hat that says 'Suckahhhssss'

Bob

Procol Harum
10-16-2004, 11:59 AM
I liked R.V.--he was a solid player and a good clubhouse guy. But, Hall of Fame!? Who next, Officer Karkovice??

LongLiveFisk
10-16-2004, 12:56 PM
I have to agree with the majority here. I loved RV and was even hoping that he'd finish his career in the ChiSox pinstripes, but the HOF is definitely out of reach, IMO.

Railsplitter
10-16-2004, 01:09 PM
Robin Ventura is not a HOF player.Agreed

Deadguy
10-16-2004, 01:52 PM
There was never a year when he was even the best player on his own team. No way.

shagar69
10-16-2004, 01:57 PM
robin was a good player, but nothing beyond that. there are many many players who have had the numbers that ventura has had. not even close to being a HOF player

oldcomiskey
10-16-2004, 02:27 PM
As Sox fans we're always quick to either overvalue or undervalue what we have or no longer have. This is an example of grossly overvaluing someone that we loved on the Southside. Ventura was a consistently good player, but sadly not HOF caliber. He hasn't even been starting on a regular basis for a while now.

Kinda like Frank?

MUsoxfan
10-16-2004, 02:44 PM
Kinda like Frank?

Yeah....but I'd put Frank in the undervalue category.

Nellie_Fox
10-16-2004, 02:44 PM
Kinda like Frank?Kinda like Frank in which way? As a player who the fans have tended to underrate while we have him? Definitely. Otherwise, no.

Was Frank ever the best player on his own team? Oh yeah, many times. Was he the most feared hitter in baseball for a few years? I think so. To compare the HOF potential of Frank and Robin is just silly. Robin was a good, solid player who complemented Frank in the lineup nicely. He had a good, solid career, but not HOF caliber. Frank in his prime made all of us stop whatever we were doing when he came to bat because we didn't want to miss a second of it.

Deadguy
10-16-2004, 02:49 PM
Kinda like Frank?
http://www.baseballreference.com/t/thomafr04.shtml

Black Ink (http://www.baseballreference.com/about/leader_glossary.shtml#black_ink): Batting - 21 (96) (Average HOFer ~ 27)
Gray Ink (http://www.baseballreference.com/about/leader_glossary.shtml#gray_ink): Batting - 189 (46) (Average HOFer ~ 144)
HOF Standards (http://www.baseballreference.com/about/leader_glossary.shtml#hof_standards): Batting - 56.5 (37) (Average HOFer ~ 50)
HOF Monitor (http://www.baseballreference.com/about/leader_glossary.shtml#hof_monitor): Batting - 179.0 (49) (Likely HOFer > 100)

Name one player who is eligible that has finished in the Top 3 in the MVP voting 5 times, with 2 MVPs, that isn't in the HOF.

Then again, name one that is eligible, and isn't a first ballot HOFer.

santo=dorf
10-16-2004, 02:55 PM
I think Robin would look cool wearing one of those "Jesus is my homeboy" caps. :smile:

RKMeibalane
10-16-2004, 03:00 PM
Kinda like Frank in which way? As a player who the fans have tended to underrate while we have him? Definitely. Otherwise, no.

Was Frank ever the best player on his own team? Oh yeah, many times. Was he the most feared hitter in baseball for a few years? I think so. To compare the HOF potential of Frank and Robin is just silly. Robin was a good, solid player who complemented Frank in the lineup nicely. He had a good, solid career, but not HOF caliber. Frank in his prime made all of us stop whatever we were doing when he came to bat because we didn't want to miss a second of it.
I still stop what I'm doing and watch Frank's at-bats. I have even used blank video tapes to record each of his at-bats, so I could go back and watch them later. Frank is the greatest player in White Sox history, and one of the best hitters of all time. It's a shame that some people still don't realize that.

Whitesox029
10-16-2004, 05:10 PM
When Robin Ventura gets inducted into the HOF sometime around 2009, what hat do you think he should wearI have the distinct impression that 32nd&Wallace does not believe this will happen, and that 32nd&Wallace wishes that 32nd&Wallace had posted it in bright pink. It was merely supposed to be a fun question. I'm confident that he would wear a White Sox hat.

The way I see it, the statement MLB makes in not letting in Pete Rose and Joe Jackson (and the rest of the 7 black sox good enough to be considered) is that being a gentleman and a class act is more important than being a truly great ballplayer to be in the Hall of Fame.
Following that rule, Robin Ventura would get to waive the waiting period and would be elected next year (don't get me wrong, he was a staple of the Sox in the 90s and pretty much ranks up with Carlton Fisk as one of my favorite sox players during my lifetime (1987-present), but truly great?).
The way I see it, they must elect either Robin Ventura (class act) or Joe Jackson and Pete Rose (great ballplayers) this year. If they elect neither, then they are hypocrites, plain and simple.

TDog
10-16-2004, 05:53 PM

Some people around here will tell you he has to wait in line behind Pete Ward.

oldcomiskey
10-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Kinda like Frank in which way? As a player who the fans have tended to underrate while we have him? Definitely. Otherwise, no.

My point was that Frank needs some help getting in-he needs 500 HRS to get in because of this insane thing that says DHs are undeserving

oldcomiskey
10-17-2004, 09:32 AM
I have the distinct impression that 32nd&Wallace does not believe this will happen, and that 32nd&Wallace wishes that 32nd&Wallace had posted it in bright pink. It was merely supposed to be a fun question. I'm confident that he would wear a White Sox hat.

The way I see it, the statement MLB makes in not letting in Pete Rose and Joe Jackson (and the rest of the 7 black sox good enough to be considered) is that being a gentleman and a class act is more important than being a truly great ballplayer to be in the Hall of Fame.
Following that rule, Robin Ventura would get to waive the waiting period and would be elected next year (don't get me wrong, he was a staple of the Sox in the 90s and pretty much ranks up with Carlton Fisk as one of my favorite sox players during my lifetime (1987-present), but truly great?).
The way I see it, they must elect either Robin Ventura (class act) or Joe Jackson and Pete Rose (great ballplayers) this year. If they elect neither, then they are hypocrites, plain and simple.

My friend, they are hypocrites, plain and simple

oldcomiskey
10-17-2004, 09:33 AM
http://www.baseballreference.com/t/thomafr04.shtml

Black Ink (http://www.baseballreference.com/about/leader_glossary.shtml#black_ink): Batting - 21 (96) (Average HOFer ~ 27)
Gray Ink (http://www.baseballreference.com/about/leader_glossary.shtml#gray_ink): Batting - 189 (46) (Average HOFer ~ 144)
HOF Standards (http://www.baseballreference.com/about/leader_glossary.shtml#hof_standards): Batting - 56.5 (37) (Average HOFer ~ 50)
HOF Monitor (http://www.baseballreference.com/about/leader_glossary.shtml#hof_monitor): Batting - 179.0 (49) (Likely HOFer > 100)

Name one player who is eligible that has finished in the Top 3 in the MVP voting 5 times, with 2 MVPs, that isn't in the HOF.

Then again, name one that is eligible, and isn't a first ballot HOFer.

Im not disagreeing with the numbers--althought he has tailed off the last few years--but HOF voters do not like DHs

kittle42
10-17-2004, 04:13 PM
My guess is we won't see 32nd&Wallace defending himself here.

Brian26
10-17-2004, 04:20 PM
My guess is we won't see 32nd&Wallace defending himself here.
I agree.

SOXSINCE'70
10-17-2004, 05:20 PM
Got to agree with Daver here.Robin's a great human being,
a great fielding 3rd baseman,but only adequate offensively.
He is not a HOF'er.Sorry.

32nd&Wallace
10-17-2004, 06:10 PM
geez, i'm sorry, this was meant to be kind of a fun thread...where we'd all joke and have a laugh and say "robin ventura is not to be in the HOF" It was means to be a dig at Cub fans actually who think every person to wear that pansy ass hat should be in the HOF.
So understand that this is supposed to be in fun! Lets not get too worked up over it, okay?

kittle42
10-17-2004, 06:21 PM
It was means to be a dig at Cub fans actually who think every person to wear that pansy ass hat should be in the HOF.
:?:

StockdaleForVeep
10-17-2004, 06:26 PM
he could go naked

Foulke29
10-18-2004, 10:33 AM
He's obviously talking about the College Baseball Hall of Fame, rigth?

:dtroll:

Hangar18
10-18-2004, 11:33 AM
Heck, the way certain people in the Media (murphy) publicly Moaned
and Groaned for him to get in the hall, Ventura would/should deserve the same
(teal)

wdelaney72
10-18-2004, 12:23 PM
He's wear a Yankees, hat of course. Becuase like everyone else in the world, Im sure he's always been a Yankee fan.

Mickster
10-18-2004, 12:49 PM
My suggestion:

http://www.newyorkcostumes.com/istarimages/p/p-14574AD!22.jpg