PDA

View Full Version : Denny McLain v. Ken Caminiti v. Darryl Strawberry?

Tekijawa
10-15-2004, 01:38 PM
Who had the biggest fall from Grace in MLB history?

Each is a pretty sad story, but which is the worst? or am I forgetting one?

MUsoxfan
10-15-2004, 01:45 PM
I'm gonna go with Caminiti. Strawberry is right up there but he was slipping away in and out of jail/rehab while he was still under contract and pitching if I remember correctly. Caminiti was an MVP less than 10 years ago and it wasn't until the last few years (mostly after he was done playing) where we were hearing of him tied up in the blow and the steroids. I believe that's a steeper fall.

RKMeibalane
10-15-2004, 01:47 PM
I'm gonna go with Caminiti. Strawberry is right up there but he was slipping away in and out of jail/rehab while he was still under contract and pitching if I remember correctly. Caminiti was an MVP less than 10 years ago and it wasn't until the last few years (mostly after he was done playing) where we were hearing of him tied up in the blow and the steroids. I believe that's a steeper fall.
Strawberry wasn't a pitcher.

ja1022
10-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Your kind of comparing apples to oranges here. McLain's fall was gambling related (Pete Rose), while Strawberry and Caminiti's problems were drugs (Dwight Gooden). I would say you'd have to include Rose, and his would be the furthest fall in the modern era. I mean, a first ballot HOFer banned from the game. Steve Howe, I believe, was another guy with an extended drug problem.

Tekijawa
10-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Wasn't McLain actually flying Cocain into the Country? I've never hear of a deal that didn't atleast dabble in his chosen product. He went to Jail of, I believe, Tax evasion and Money laundering. Last I heard he was working at a 7-11 in Michigan on a work release program... Going from the last 30 Game winner to that is a Big fall. Darryl was also sad because of the so many opportunities to redeem himself and he still couldn't ditch the White lady. Rose is bad too but there is just something about the guy that doesn't make it seem as bad.

illinibk
10-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Jose Canseco

Baby Fisk
10-15-2004, 02:18 PM
The Chicago White Sox circa 1920-21. It just hasn't been the same since then... :(:

MUsoxfan
10-15-2004, 04:10 PM
Strawberry wasn't a pitcher.

Yeah....little brain fart there. I thought about that 10 minutes after I posted that too. Thanks for correcting me

ja1022
10-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Yeah....little brain fart there. I thought about that 10 minutes after I posted that too. Thanks for correcting me
Easy to confuse Strawberry with Dwight Gooden. As I recall, they used to hang together when on the Mets.

RKMeibalane
10-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Easy to confuse Strawberry with Dwight Gooden. As I recall, they used to hang together when on the Mets.
Yes, they did. As far as I know, they are still good friends.

daveeym
10-15-2004, 06:19 PM
I'd go with strawberry/gooden. Caminiti basically got to have a career. Don't know enough about Denny to comment. Strawberry and Gooden had extremely promising careers cut WAAAY short after performing as hall of famers for 1/2 or 3/5's of a full career. Their struggles were much more public also while rose and KenC's were after their careers had ended.

hose
10-16-2004, 12:04 AM
Pete Rose-->other

RKMeibalane
10-16-2004, 12:06 AM
Pete Rose
ESPN 2 showed a replay of their film, Hustle. As I watched it, the only thought that I had was this: Pete Rose was a great player, but he was and is a first-class jerk.

Dan H
10-16-2004, 06:41 PM
I don't know if McLain's fall was the most tragic, but it was swift. Two years after winning 30 games, he was already becoming a footnote in baseball history. I may be mistaken, but I don't remember him every saying he regretted some of the low-life stuff he did. A classic example of someone not handling success. Maybe he never could no matter how success came.