PDA

View Full Version : Acquisitions

balke
10-15-2004, 11:54 AM
I'm just wondering since every thread now has some hopeless "what about this guy on the sox" header.

kittle42
10-15-2004, 12:12 PM
None of these players/managers/announcers will be with the Sox next year.

Mohoney
10-16-2004, 04:15 PM
The guy that I think we have a good chance to get is Russ Ortiz. Pedro and Pavano will probably set the free agent market, tradeable commodities like Randy Johnson will be shipped, lesser names like Matt Clement will sign at about $4 or $5 million per season, and Ortiz might fly far enough under the radar for us to nab him at $7 million or less per season on a four or five year deal. 5 years, $35 million seems fair to me. Maybe he'll take it.

I would be very confident in this team's rotation if we could run out a front three of Garcia, Buehrle, and Ortiz. I would have no doubt that we would get at least 50 combined wins and 650 combined IP from these three guys. We might even get as many as 60 wins and 750 IP from the three if one of them has a bust-out year and wins close to 25 games, which is something each one of these three guys has the capability to do.

Either way, even the worst-case scenario has you getting 16 or 17 wins from Ortiz with over 200 IP. Replace our 5th starter's slot with Ortiz, and we're talking about seriously closing the gap between us and the Twins.

Between Ortiz and bullpen help, we are only talking about $12 million dollars. There has got to be a way that we can free up that kind of money by letting Valentin walk, trading Everett for prospects, and not overpaying in raises for guys like Garland that have done nothing to deserve them.

OEO Magglio
10-16-2004, 05:48 PM
The guy that I think we have a good chance to get is Russ Ortiz. Pedro and Pavano will probably set the free agent market, tradeable commodities like Randy Johnson will be shipped, lesser names like Matt Clement will sign at about $4 or $5 million per season, and Ortiz might fly far enough under the radar for us to nab him at $7 million or less per season on a four or five year deal. 5 years, $35 million seems fair to me. Maybe he'll take it.

I would be very confident in this team's rotation if we could run out a front three of Garcia, Buehrle, and Ortiz. I would have no doubt that we would get at least 50 combined wins and 650 combined IP from these three guys. We might even get as many as 60 wins and 750 IP from the three if one of them has a bust-out year and wins close to 25 games, which is something each one of these three guys has the capability to do.

Either way, even the worst-case scenario has you getting 16 or 17 wins from Ortiz with over 200 IP. Replace our 5th starter's slot with Ortiz, and we're talking about seriously closing the gap between us and the Twins.

Between Ortiz and bullpen help, we are only talking about $12 million dollars. There has got to be a way that we can free up that kind of money by letting Valentin walk, trading Everett for prospects, and not overpaying in raises for guys like Garland that have done nothing to deserve them.
Russ Ortiz would get absolutely hammered in the al at uscf, no way I'd give him that kind of deal and no way the sox give any pitcher a 4 or 5 year deal, just say no to Ortiz.

shagar69
10-16-2004, 06:02 PM
why the hell is la russa on there? he's not going anywhere. even if the cardinals somehow dont make the WS, why would he leave? he knows hes gonna have a good team next year that should win that division again