PDA

View Full Version : How could Beltran do that?

Justafan
10-15-2004, 10:11 AM
He was quoted in the Trib today saying that he would consider the Cubs next year and said that he loves hitting at Wrigley and likes the fans there. Why would you make that statement before game 2 of the NLCS? If I'm his teammate, I am seriously ticked off right now.

How do you compliment a rival team in your division before a must win game in the playoffs? I do have a feeling that Beltran will be wearing number 15 for the Cubs next year, but this was not the time, or place for him to say he would consider it.

Flight #24
10-15-2004, 10:20 AM
He was quoted in the Trib today saying that he would consider the Cubs next year and said that he loves hitting at Wrigley and likes the fans there. Why would you make that statement before game 2 of the NLCS? If I'm his teammate, I am seriously ticked off right now.

How do you compliment a rival team in your division before a must win game in the playoffs? I do have a feeling that Beltran will be wearing number 15 for the Cubs next year, but this was not the time, or place for him to say he would consider it.
In the article, it's pretty clear that he was basically asked "How would you feela bout playing for the Cubs next year?", so I wouldn't take his answer as meaning much of anything. What did you expect him to say? "Nope" and thereby eliminating a potential big money suitor?

Typical Trib BS - setting up a player to get an answer they want to use for a headline.

Justafan
10-15-2004, 10:22 AM
In the article, it's pretty clear that he was basically asked "How would you feela bout playing for the Cubs next year?", so I wouldn't take his answer as meaning much of anything. What did you expect him to say? "Nope" and thereby eliminating a potential big money suitor?

Typical Trib BS - setting up a player to get an answer they want to use for a headline.
I would have answered it by saying, "This is NOT the TIME, or PLACE for that question".

Hangar18
10-15-2004, 11:21 AM

EXCELLENT POST. I was going to say the same thing, because the rest of the Chicago Lazy-and-Cubby-Loving Media simply started reporting it this as
"even Beltran wants to be a cub". Very Kiley-esque actually. Totally Typical Trib BS. Reason 19,238 why I hate the Chicago Media.
look for Kiley to KEEP the cubbie fire burning by writing editorials and general managing (even though hes supposed to be a beat reporter) and getting
either a healthy Magglio and or Beltran in evil corporate blue.

Justafan
10-15-2004, 11:26 AM
EXCELLENT POST. I was going to say the same thing, because the rest of the Chicago Lazy-and-Cubby-Loving Media simply started reporting it this as
"even Beltran wants to be a cub". Very Kiley-esque actually. Totally Typical Trib BS. Reason 19,238 why I hate the Chicago Media.
look for Kiley to KEEP the cubbie fire burning by writing editorials and general managing (even though hes supposed to be a beat reporter) and getting
The Media wanting Beltran to be a Cub does not surprise me, I expect that stuff now. I just can't understand why Beltran would praise the Cubs the way he did right before a must win game. As I said before, Beltran most likely will be wearing a Cubs uniform next year and the fact that Boras and Hendry have a good working relationship only cements my feelings on it.

Flight #24
10-15-2004, 11:34 AM
The Media wanting Beltran to be a Cub does not surprise me, I expect that stuff now. I just can't understand why Beltran would praise the Cubs the way he did right before a must win game. As I said before, Beltran most likely will be wearing a Cubs uniform next year and the fact that Boras and Hendry have a good working relationship only cements my feelings on it.
You really think there'll be a premier FA at a position where the Spankees look to have a vacancy in the next 1-2 years and KingGeorge won't be in on it?

even if it means a payroll in the 220mil range, I forsee George making big pushes for Beltran and a pitcher.

Hangar18
10-15-2004, 11:34 AM
Anyone remember the Jack McDowell Yahoo column he wrote earlier this year
regarding Steroid related injuries? Remember his column basically saying
now that Steroid use was more widespread than previously believed, nagging
injuries like the one suffered by The Messiah would certainly raise doubts about Steroid use forever now? and that he didnt know the Messiah, but his injury seemingly fit the mold for other steroid related injuries?

And Mike Kiley, Immediately Angered that someone would tarnish his beloved cubs, did his best written imitation of wscr's Mike Murphy, and wrote a
a 2nd generation "McDowell says Messiah on steroids" and PLANTED the question "jack mcdowell says you use steroids", which the Messiah was angered (why wouldnt he, seeing how the question was posed) and lashed back at BlackJack saying he doesnt know him or his situation .......

To which ESPN, put a 3rd generation knee-jerk Article, Blaring on their website Accusing Jack of Calling out The Messiah, with QUOTES paraphrased from Mike "Cub Propoganda/Yellow Journalist" Kileys second generation
article ......... and this is supposed to be news? sounds more like
irresponsible cubpoganda

It was TOTAL BS ......... I met Jack McDowell shortly after this all went
down, and he said it was all TOTAL BS also, and that he simply had
the guts to say something, and people didnt like it, which wasnt accusatory
at all.

Flight #24
10-15-2004, 11:36 AM
There was one? At this point, there seems to be little chance of a healthy Maggs making an apeparance anywhere for at least a few months, if not a year (or more).

Justafan
10-15-2004, 11:45 AM
King George may have money, but he is not going to hike his payroll to the 230M range. He needs pitching, not offense. Beltran pretty much gushed about with the prospect of playing at Wrigley field in that interview. Oh well, the Cubs have become the Yankees in terms of buying players. Must be nice.

mdep524
10-15-2004, 11:51 AM

This really pissed me off this morning. I mean, I am just so frickin' frustrated and angry with the damn Cubune. :angry: Getting a reporter to ask Carlos Beltran if he wants to play for "their" team, in the middle of the NLCS, and making it a FRONT PAGE HEADLINE is absolutely ludicrous.

Plus, let's review the facts:
-The Cubs and Sox are both known to covet Beltran.
-The Cubs and Sox may both be losing their star rightfielders, to make room for him.

Yet somehow, the Cubs get a HANDFUL of articles written about their pursuit of Beltran- to the point where they dispatch resports to essentially RECRUIT the guy... and the Sox get no media help. Terrible. This is similar to what they did with Maddux last year.

Hangar, I am with you all the way on this one. The Trib is dead wrong here, and I think everyone who reads this thread should make some noise about it- write a letter to the editor, etc. They should be called out for this. :angry:

Justafan
10-15-2004, 11:55 AM
This really pissed me off this morning. I mean, I am just so frickin' frustrated and angry with the damn Cubune. :angry: Getting a reporter to ask Carlos Beltran if he wants to play for "their" team, in the middle of the NLCS, and making it a FRONT PAGE HEADLINE is absolutely ludicrous.

-The Cubs and Sox may both be losing their star rightfielders, to make room for him.

Yet somehow, the Cubs get a HANDFUL of articles written about their pursuit of Beltran- to the point where they dispatch resports to essentially RECRUIT the guy... and the Sox get no media help. Terrible. This is similar to what they did with Maddux last year.

Hangar, I am with you all the way on this one. The Trib is dead wrong here, and I think everyone who reads this thread should make some noise about it- write a letter to the editor, etc. They should be called out for this. :angry:
Great post. It is a form of recruiting, no doubt about it. It's funny because It proves, once again, that the media WANTS the Cubs to win and could give a fat rats ass about the Sox.

balke
10-15-2004, 12:10 PM
Can you imagine how negative chi-town media is going to be if the sox DO get Beltran. "A dark day in Chicago, right player, wrong team". "Curse of Beltran?! Story at 6".

I came into this season as a sox fan who didn't care one way or another about the NL, let alone the Cubs. But this season just threw me into full on sox fan stereotype mode. Cubs media, and fans are about the most annoying thing in baseball since god created the yankmees.

Flight #24
10-15-2004, 12:15 PM
King George may have money, but he is not going to hike his payroll to the 230M range. He needs pitching, not offense. Beltran pretty much gushed about with the prospect of playing at Wrigley field in that interview. Oh well, the Cubs have become the Yankees in terms of buying players. Must be nice.
Personally, I think he's just beginning to tap into the YESNet slush fund. He's already at 180-some, adding another 30 to get to 210 isn't that farfetched IMO. Plus, he can figure on cutting Bernie Williams salary in a year or 2 (when's his deal up?).

A rotation of Mussina, Pavano/Pedro (or equivalent), Brown, Vazquez, El Duque/Lieber/whoever is pretty solid. Doing that and swappign Lofton for Beltran? No brainer.

Justafan
10-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Personally, I think he's just beginning to tap into the YESNet slush fund. He's already at 180-some, adding another 30 to get to 210 isn't that farfetched IMO. Plus, he can figure on cutting Bernie Williams salary in a year or 2 (when's his deal up?).

A rotation of Mussina, Pavano/Pedro (or equivalent), Brown, Vazquez, El Duque/Lieber/whoever is pretty solid. Doing that and swappign Lofton for Beltran? No brainer.I just can't see it. Pedro will cost him 10M per alone. If you add Beltran into the mix, you are then talking a payroll in the 230M dollare range.

Hangar18
10-15-2004, 12:34 PM

YUP. Folks, this has been going on for Years, and while im not trying to pat myself on the back saying I first Noticed this BS as early as 1981 (thats when I can honestly trace this nonsense) This is a huge huge problem. This is something the Cubune themselves PROMISED WOULDNT happen back in 1981 when they first bought the team, amid accusations they would blur the lines and not be able to keep the "reporting" of news, and "Promotion" of their product SEPARATE. They didnt, and you knew this would come to pass.
Problem is, Chicago for whatever reason, continues to think of themselves in a "2nd City" kind of light, and the Cubunes years of Veiled blur-the-line promotion of the cubs and Blatant tearing down of anything SOX related has
has Turned our Media into nothing but a bunch of lazy, 2nd rate, podunk, headline manufacturing, cheerleading, neighborhood newspaper Propogandists, with the sun-times simply trying to "Out-Cub" the Cubune
and sometimes leading the way. I read our papers and cub fans and the reporters themselves make Chicagoans look like Idiots (thanks...alot ...morons)

Wait til the Commissioner gets a hold of this ........... We will be seeing a Quiet and Heavy TAMPERING Fine being levied by the commis.......... wait a second.... I forgot. There is no Commissioner yet is there? the guy thats in there is nothing but a Coffee-pouring, Car-washing, Lunch-getting
Stooge, propped up by Uncle Jerry, King George, The Trib among others.

Kogs35
10-15-2004, 12:48 PM
YUP. Folks, this has been going on for Years, and while im not trying to pat myself on the back saying I first Noticed this BS as early as 1981 (thats when I can honestly trace this nonsense) This is a huge huge problem. This is something the Cubune themselves PROMISED WOULDNT happen back in 1981 when they first bought the team, amid accusations they would blur the lines and not be able to keep the "reporting" of news, and "Promotion" of their product SEPARATE. They didnt, and you knew this would come to pass.
Problem is, Chicago for whatever reason, continues to think of themselves in a "2nd City" kind of light, and the Cubunes years of Veiled blur-the-line promotion of the cubs and Blatant tearing down of anything SOX related has
has Turned our Media into nothing but a bunch of lazy, 2nd rate, podunk, headline manufacturing, cheerleading, neighborhood newspaper Propogandists, with the sun-times simply trying to "Out-Cub" the Cubune
and sometimes leading the way. I read our papers and cub fans and the reporters themselves make Chicagoans look like Idiots (thanks...alot ...morons)

Wait til the Commissioner gets a hold of this ........... We will be seeing a Quiet and Heavy TAMPERING Fine being levied by the commis.......... wait a second.... I forgot. There is no Commissioner yet is there? the guy thats in there is nothing but a Coffee-pouring, Car-washing, Lunch-getting
Stooge, propped up by Uncle Jerry, King George, The Trib among others.
hangar you should show this to bud light.paul sullivan works for the cub owners. tampering eh?

Flight #24
10-15-2004, 01:18 PM
I just can't see it. Pedro will cost him 10M per alone. If you add Beltran into the mix, you are then talking a payroll in the 230M dollare range.
$183mil (2004 payroll) + $12mil (Pedro) + 16mil (Beltran) = $212mil total.

SP: Pedro+Mussina+Brown+Vazquez+ElDuque/Lieber
RP: Rivera+Gordon+????
O: Giambi/Olerud/Williams(1B)+Cairo (2B) + Jeter(SS) + ARod (3B) + Posada(C) + Sheffield (RF) + Matsui (LF) + Beltran (CF) + Williams/Giambi (DH)

That, my friends is a fairly balanced, dominant team.

Lip Man 1
10-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Mdep:

In fact the Sox did have at least one story in the papers last week talking about how the Sox had Beltran targeted high on their list of possible signings.

Lip

Justafan
10-15-2004, 01:35 PM
Mdep:

In fact the Sox did have at least one story in the papers last week talking about how the Sox had Beltran targeted high on their list of possible signings.

Lip
Was it on page 8 of the sports section? This was back page news today for the Cubs.

daveeym
10-15-2004, 06:27 PM
either a healthy Magglio and or Beltran in evil corporate blue. Hey Hangar, do you have a word document that has compiled your 19,238 reasons why you hate the Chicago Media? I think it would be a hilarious read. :gulp: