PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have news on green seats?

GiveMeSox
10-15-2004, 04:44 AM
Im used to seeing this a hot topic on this fourm, but haven't seen anyone mention anything of it in a while. Has anyone heard anything about green seats, rumors or speculation? Just wodering what the plan is with the seats?

FightingBillini
10-15-2004, 04:51 AM
We were originally lead to believe the new seats would be put in next year. Now we arent sure. A Cubune talked about renovations for next year, and mentioned that they will put in green seats, but it may not be for a year or two. The only thing holding it up is that Jerry is trying to get his money out of those seats, becuase the lifespan was stated at 15 years when the park opened. The Sox can sell every blue seat in the park for $50 a piece, and more than cover the cost of new (green) seats. Besides that, the new seats would be considered normal maintanence, not renovations. No matter what anyone else says, the cost of green seats wont come from the money the Sox got from US Cellular, and wont take away from other possible renovations.

doogiec
10-15-2004, 08:01 AM
http://www.dantclayton.com/services/cost_matrix/cost_matrix.html

According to this, we're looking at an average of $95 per seat, not $50. Even at the low end of $75, we're talking about a $3,000,000 project. If the money is not coming from the naming rights deal, that's money that could and should be used toward fixing the pitching, IMO. And there is no way on earth that the Sox can sell 40,000 of the old seats at any price. While there was a long line for the upper deck seats they sold last year, it was no where near that long. There is just no value to those seats for collectors, and most Sox fans hated those seats. And IIRC, the proceeds were going to charity. If the naming rights deal is truly spent, then spend the money on players, not plastic seats that won't sell one additional ticket.

duke of dorwood
10-15-2004, 08:45 AM
Nothing appears to being worked on inside the park right now.

Rush20
10-15-2004, 01:51 PM
I like the dark green seats and I can wait another 2 years if JR has some kind of warranty/maintenance approach model he is working with.

What I am disappointed about is that Phase V only consists (so far) of the Scout Seats and Fundamentals in LF. What happened to right field upper deck, grand entrance, brickwork over the concrete, etc. We've come a long way, however we still have a ways to go for a complete rennovation.

Foulke You
10-15-2004, 02:10 PM
While there was a long line for the upper deck seats they sold last year, it was no where near that long. There is just no value to those seats for collectors, and most Sox fans hated those seats.I disagree. The Sox would have no problem selling 40,000 of those seats. They sold 6000 of the upper deck seats in 2 hours from 9AM-11AM that day to the season ticket holders alone. The general public didn't even get a crack at it. I know, because I went down there with a friend and we both came home disappointed when we were told by a Sox employee that they grossly underestimated the amount of interest in purchasing the seats. While it certainly won't go for the $200-500 that Old Comiskey seats fetch, I think you underestimate their collector value if you don't think they could fetch $50.

:reinsy
"I've learned my lesson. Next time, we raise the prices on those seats and turn a nice profit."

FightingBillini
10-15-2004, 02:18 PM
http://www.dantclayton.com/services/cost_matrix/cost_matrix.html

According to this, we're looking at an average of $95 per seat, not $50. Even at the low end of $75, we're talking about a $3,000,000 project. If the money is not coming from the naming rights deal, that's money that could and should be used toward fixing the pitching, IMO. And there is no way on earth that the Sox can sell 40,000 of the old seats at any price. While there was a long line for the upper deck seats they sold last year, it was no where near that long. There is just no value to those seats for collectors, and most Sox fans hated those seats. And IIRC, the proceeds were going to charity. If the naming rights deal is truly spent, then spend the money on players, not plastic seats that won't sell one additional ticket.
First of all, the blue seats would sell out. They would be the INFAMOUS empty blue seats from US Cellular. While everyone hated them, everyone would want a few becuase they are so uniquely ugly. They are still a part of history becuase they were in the Sox park. If they were $50 each, people would pick up 4 or 5 for their basement bars, sportrooms, etc. As for that website you link to, I believe it is for building stadium seating, such as in a movie theatre, or for the basements of rich people. If the Sox buy 41,000 seats at once, they will get a BIG discount. Besides, the cost of new seats is in general maintanence, just like cleaning, upkeep, painting, and other stuff. At the latest, they were scheduled to put in new seats after next season, becuase the current ones are wearing down, some breaking, etc. Since they are getting new seats, they might as well be green. That is their thinking.

soxnut
10-15-2004, 04:53 PM
When I emailed Brooks about this(about a month ago), he said that there were no current plans to replace the seats this year. But he said when they are replaced that the most logical color that everyone seems to agree on is green.:smile:

dickallen15
10-15-2004, 05:20 PM
Nothing appears to being worked on inside the park right now.
That's interesting because the sales reps where using renovations as an excuse for no season ticketholder party this year.

soxnut
10-15-2004, 05:55 PM
That's interesting because the sales reps where using renovations as an excuse for no season ticketholder party this year.

I'm not sure if it was you or someone else, that mentioed that. I asked Brooks if the Patio ws undergoing any renovations or such and he said "no". I'm not a season-ticket holder, but maybe someone's rep would know?:?: