PDA

View Full Version : Question for Les Grobstein...

batmanZoSo
10-14-2004, 03:02 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned since the regular season ended or if anyone remembers it, but as I recall, in springtime, Les Grobstein on his site picked the cubs--amidst all the hype and expectations--to finish third...correct me if I'm wrong. Is this true?

Well they did. I'm not celebrating or rubbing it in or anything, just toasting to Les's objectivity. That was a great call. Impressive coming from such a big cub fan.

So, here's to you, Les...good call...you are a true High Life man...

http://www.famousfoto.com/tin-signs/978.jpg

Lip Man 1
10-14-2004, 07:41 PM
Yes Les did pick the Cubs for 3rd, he also picked the Sox to win their division.

Lip

Soxzilla
10-14-2004, 07:52 PM
Yes Les did pick the Cubs for 3rd, he also picked the Sox to win their division.

Lip
You can't blame him for that though. We should have won our division by 10 games, but we constantly have a bunch of under acheivers on our club.:angry:

I don't know whats worse...under acheivers....or whiners. Either way, chicago loses.

batmanZoSo
10-14-2004, 09:25 PM

Lip

So did I. That was a somewhat logical choice at the time. Sota lost a few guys in FA and we got a exciting new manager who might shake things up. The cubs pick was pretty impressive though. SI picked them to win the World Series. I'm sure other publications--and I know a lot of individuals--did too.

Grobber33
10-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the kind words batmanZoSo! Yes,I picked them 3rd,which also meant I did not pick them for the Wild Card. I had no idea what type of injuries they would have(other than Prior,who was already questionable when I made my pick),but I did not like what I saw in Mesa. I thought they had too many strikeouts,double plays,poor base running,no true leadoff man(had they not had Lofton in late 2003,they would have missed THOSE Playoffs also),poor fundamentals,bad situational hitting,a bunch of excuses,and like the White Sox,they are one trick ponies(too much relying on dingers)-OTHER THAN THAT THEY WERE GREAT(how in the hell did this team finish 16 games over .500 in a Division with 2 Playoff Teams?). I had no idea at that time that several in that Clubhouse would end up as whiny craybabies(guess that's the same thing),lets blame everyone but ourselves TOOLS! That was the worse Chicago Club House since the 1997 Sox(Bevington,Belle etc),or 1978 Cubs(Kingman,Foote,Murcer)-and that's saying plenty!

On my site www.grobber.com (http://www.grobber.com/) in my "Friday Thoughts" on the home page,I am hammering them again for the firing of the Trainers. THAT should cure things!

I don't know if this has been mentioned since the regular season ended or if anyone remembers it, but as I recall, in springtime, Les Grobstein on his site picked the cubs--amidst all the hype and expectations--to finish third...correct me if I'm wrong. Is this true?

Well they did. I'm not celebrating or rubbing it in or anything, just toasting to Les's objectivity. That was a great call. Impressive coming from such a big cub fan.

So, here's to you, Les...good call...you are a true High Life man...

http://www.famousfoto.com/tin-signs/978.jpg

TommyJohn
10-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the kind words batmanZoSo! Yes,I picked them 3rd,which also meant I did not pick them for the Wild Card. I had no idea what type of injuries they would have(other than Prior,who was already questionable when I made my pick),but I did not like what I saw in Mesa. I thought they had too many strikeouts,double plays,poor base running,no true leadoff man(had they not had Lofton in late 2003,they would have missed THOSE Playoffs also),poor fundamentals,bad situational hitting,a bunch of excuses,and like the White Sox,they are one trick ponies(too much relying on dingers)-OTHER THAN THAT THEY WERE GREAT(how in the hell did this team finish 16 games over .500 in a Division with 2 Playoff Teams?). I had no idea at that time that several in that Clubhouse would end up as whiny craybabies(guess that's the same thing),lets blame everyone but ourselves TOOLS! That was the worse Chicago Club House since the 1997 Sox(Bevington,Belle etc),or 1978 Cubs(Kingman,Foote,Murcer)-and that's saying plenty!

On my site www.grobber.com (http://www.grobber.com/) in my "Friday Thoughts" on the home page,I am hammering them again for the firing of the Trainers. THAT should cure things!

BEVINGTON!!!!
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

You once again evoke my least favorite White Sox in my lifetime!!!!!!!!AAAAAHH!!!

And the late '70's Dave Kingman era Cubs drove Mike Royko so nuts that he briefly
became a White Sox fan. A reprint of that article is in the book For the Love of Mike
and it is very entertaining and funny. My favorite line is when Royko wrote that Bill
Veeck is a more cheerful fellow on one leg than some of the Cubs players are on
two. "He can run faster than some of them, too." He wrote.

batmanZoSo
10-15-2004, 07:22 PM

Amen, brother. That's why you're the best in the Chicago radio biz.

Yes, the moral of this 2004 tale is, to quote a great rap song from the early 90s: don't believe the hype!