PDA

View Full Version : Idiotic Statement

RKMeibalane
10-14-2004, 12:49 PM
For those of you who watched Game 2 of the Red Sox-Yankees series last night, you may have heard a comment Jeanie Zelasko made during one of the Fox Game Breaks. I specifically referring to the highlight that showed Larry Walker driving in a run with an infield single. During the highlight, Zelasko made the following comment:

"On most teams, the number two hitter doesn't do a lot to help his team, but this guy (Walker) is different."

I managed to make it a few weeks without hearing anyone make any stupid remarks, but this ended that streak. Number two hitters don't help their ballclub? Since when? Honestly, if networks such as ESPN and Fox cannot trouble themselves to hire competent, knowledgable people to work their baseball telecasts, then they might as well let another network cover the MLB. Maybe I'm overreacting, but it bothers me that people who are paid to cover baseball know little or nothing about how the game is played.

Palehose13
10-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Yikes. I was a number 2 hitter in college and I thought I did plenty to help my team. But then again I suppose being able to put down bunts, make contact whenever a hit and run is called, being able to steal when on base, and rarely striking out is a bit overrated and never helps the teams. I ain't flashy, but I got the job done. :wink:

Iwritecode
10-14-2004, 12:58 PM
For those of you who watched Game 2 of the Red Sox-Yankees series last night, you may have heard a comment Jeanie Zelasko made during one of the Fox Game Breaks. I specifically referring to the highlight that showed Larry Walker driving in a run with an infield single. During the highlight, Zelasko made the following comment:

"On most teams, the number two hitter doesn't do a lot to help his team, but this guy (Walker) is different."

I managed to make it a few weeks without hearing anyone make any stupid remarks, but this ended that streak. Number two hitters don't help their ballclub? Since when? Honestly, if networks such as ESPN and Fox cannot trouble themselves to hire competent, knowledgible people to work their baseball telecasts, then they might as well let another network cover the MLB. Maybe I'm overreacting, but it bothers me that people who are paid to cover baseball know little or nothing about how the game is played.

Walker is a #2 hitter? I always thought he was more of a 3,4 or 5 hitter. I guess with guys like Pujols, Rolen and Edmonds they can have that luxury.

It's kinda like the Sox having Carlos Lee in the 2-hole. I wonder if that's more what she meant?

Iwritecode
10-14-2004, 01:00 PM
Yikes. I was a number 2 hitter in college and I thought I did plenty to help my team. But then again I suppose being able to put down bunts, make contact whenever a hit and run is called, being able to steal when on base, and rarely striking out is a bit overrated and never helps the teams. I ain't flashy, but I got the job done. :wink:

I was always a "wherever they wanted to put me" hitter. I had the speed to be lead-off or #2 but also enough power to be a 3 or 4 hitter...

Baby Fisk
10-14-2004, 01:00 PM
She probably "meant" something else with that statement, but I have no idea what it might have been. I for one am glad that they keep us apprised of celebrities in the stadium. Oh, so that wasn't Ben Affleck behind Matt Damon, it was his brother Casey. Thank god for that clarification.

As for Tim McCarver, he is officially one of my mortal enemies. It's on a list I could show you. I spent half the night hoping Al Leiter would get pissed off enough and tell him to just **** for five minutes.

RKMeibalane
10-14-2004, 01:05 PM
Walker is a #2 hitter? I always thought he was more of a 3,4 or 5 hitter. I guess with guys like Pujols, Rolen and Edmonds they can have that luxury.

It's kinda like the Sox having Carlos Lee in the 2-hole. I wonder if that's more what she meant?
It's possible, but if that's what she really meant, then she should have said, "Most teams don't have a number two hitter as good as this guy." Either way, I still think Fox and ESPN need to make an effort to hire people who actually know what they're talking about. I'm getting tired of listening to the Jeff Brantleys and Tim McCarvers of the world.

Nellie_Fox
10-14-2004, 01:16 PM
I was always a "wherever they wanted to put me" hitter. I had the speed to be lead-off or #2 but also enough power to be a 3 or 4 hitter...We were very similar then. I had the speed to be a 4 hitter, but the power of a #2.

Iwritecode
10-14-2004, 01:26 PM
We were very similar then. I had the speed to be a 4 hitter, but the power of a #2.

:D:

Gosox1917
10-14-2004, 01:31 PM
In addition to the comment of #2 hitters, Beltran has been hitting 2nd for the Astros for the entire post-season and I think most of the 2nd half. I know he did nothing for the Astros.

CubKilla
10-14-2004, 01:38 PM
In addition to the comment of #2 hitters, Beltran has been hitting 2nd for the Astros for the entire post-season and I think most of the 2nd half. I know he did nothing for the Astros.
Beat me to it. If Walker is helping St. Louis then Beltran is going above and beyond for Houston in the 2-hole.

batmanZoSo
10-14-2004, 01:44 PM

Walker is the smartest hitter in the lineup, that's probably why. Plus he's not the ungodly slugger he was a few years ago with Colorado, so you're not missing out on a ton of RBIs by batting him at the top. If he wasn't so injury prone, he'd be a hall of famer. Never makes mental mistakes, had a rocket arm, great defense, great speed and base stealing ability for a big guy. He's my favorite non-Sox player that I've watched. I hope he gets a ring.

But number 2 is often considered the toughest spot in the whole lineup. I don't know what old Jeannie was trying to say. Maybe that it's hard to find a great one??? Few teams have good number 2 hitters??? I don't know I'm tryin to help her out.

Iwritecode
10-14-2004, 01:55 PM
But number 2 is often considered the toughest spot in the whole lineup. I don't know what old Jeannie was trying to say. Maybe that it's hard to find a great one??? Few teams have good number 2 hitters??? I don't know I'm tryin to help her out.

Maybe it's because #3 and 4 hitters (even lead-off guys to some extent) get all the lime-light.

It's kinda rare to have a "big-name" as your #2 guy.

Maybe???

Jerko
10-14-2004, 02:18 PM
What's even worse is that last year, when the Marlins won, everybody was praising Pierre and Castillo, the #1 and #2 hitters, so it's not like a #2 hitter has never been important before. Maybe she meant if they play like "number 2" they don't help their teams. I agree with you RK, it would be nice to see analysts/reporters know what they're talking about, Steve Stone excepted. I think the only sport that has "good" coverage from these analyst types is college football.

batmanZoSo
10-14-2004, 02:23 PM
What's even worse is that last year, when the Marlins won, everybody was praising Pierre and Castillo, the #1 and #2 hitters, so it's not like a #2 hitter has never been important before. Maybe she meant if they play like "number 2" they don't help their teams. I agree with you RK, it would be nice to see analysts/reporters know what they're talking about, Steve Stone excepted. I think the only sport that has "good" coverage from these analyst types is college football.

Last year Thom Brenneman, Steve Lyons and Al Leiter was great. I love three guys instead of two, it's so much better. Lyons isn't that bad, he does have a fun attitude. Brenneman is outstanding I think. Buck and McCarver are just dreadful. Buck has that annoying fake deep voice with no excitement and he's just a hired gun professional. McCarver is totally obnoxious and arrogant. And I cannot stand his kentucky fried, southern plantation accent.

RKMeibalane
10-14-2004, 02:29 PM
Last year Thom Brenneman, Steve Lyons and Al Leiter was great. I love three guys instead of two, it's so much better. Lyons isn't that bad, he does have a fun attitude. Brenneman is outstanding I think. Buck and McCarver are just dreadful. Buck has that annoying fake deep voice with no excitement and he's just a hired gun professional. McCarver is totally obnoxious and arrogant. And I cannot stand his kentucky fried, southern plantation accent.
What's really sad about this situation is that it's not just the national network commentators who are bad. The problem has trickled down to individual team announcers, as well. The Yankees broadcast team is awful. The Red Sox' team isn't much better. I wish Sean McDonough would work more of their games. I enjoyed listening to him call games years ago when CBS still held the rights to MLB games. Skip Caray and Don Sutton are brutal for Atlanta, and don't even get me started on the Twins guys. Those two know absolutely nothing about baseball.

Jerko
10-14-2004, 02:29 PM
Buck is too busy doing his Leon commercials or whatever the heck that guy's name is. I just hope Thom Brennaman sticks to his guns and doesn't get take the Cub job.

RKMeibalane
10-14-2004, 02:38 PM
Buck is too busy doing his Leon commercials or whatever the heck that guy's name is. I just hope Thom Brennaman sticks to his guns and doesn't get take the Cub job.
Yes, the player's name is Leon. That guy reminds me a lot of Keyshawn Johnson, though I'm not sure why. I also hope that Brenneman turns down the Cubs job. He's better off staying with the D-Backs or finding an even better position somewhere else. The Cubs organization, from top to bottom, is nothing but a collection of whiners and complainers. If I were Thom, I wouldn't want anything to do with them.

Palehose13
10-14-2004, 02:38 PM
Maybe it's because #3 and 4 hitters (even lead-off guys to some extent) get all the lime-light.

It's kinda rare to have a "big-name" as your #2 guy.

Maybe???
I was a big name in the Great Lakes Valley Conference. :D:

batmanZoSo
10-14-2004, 02:41 PM
Yes, the player's name is Leon. That guy reminds me a lot of Keyshawn Johnson, though I'm not sure why. I also hope that Brenneman turns down the Cubs job. He's better off staying with the D-Backs or finding an even better position somewhere else. The Cubs organization, from top to bottom, is nothing but a collection of whiners and complainers. If I were Thom, I wouldn't want anything to do with them.

If you were Thom, you'd be offered a lot of money to take the cubs job. He worked there for years, I wouldn't be surprised.

Iwritecode
10-14-2004, 03:01 PM
Last year Thom Brenneman, Steve Lyons and Al Leiter was great.

I don't remember which game it was (it was only a couple of days ago) Steve Lyons was in the booth with somebody and a runner dove headfirst into first base trying to beat the throw. The guy mentioned to Steve that if he had any dirt in or on his pants after he stood up, he went into the clubhouse to take care of it.

Pretty good rib against Steve as they both laughed about it. :D:

Plus, they didn't explain it so I'm sure there were people out there that had no idea what they were talking about.

TDog
10-14-2004, 11:51 PM
... I don't know what old Jeannie was trying to say. ...
Maybe she has only watched baseball games in which Joey Cora was playing.