PDA

View Full Version : Sick Stat: Yankees And White Sox Postseason

Brian26
10-14-2004, 12:23 AM
This will just make you want to puke...

In the past 8 days, the Yankees have won as many postseason games as the White Sox have since 1919.

Yankees beat the Twins three times and the Carmines twice for a total of 5.

The Sox won 2 games in '93 against Toronto, once in '83 against Baltimore, and twice in '59 against LA, for a total of 5.

The Yankees, in the past 8 days, have done what the Sox have totaled over the past 85 years.

I'm gonna go to bed now....
:whiner:

TDog
10-14-2004, 01:59 AM
All those years in the '50s and '60s that the Sox finished second to the Yankees (particularly in 1964) the Sox might have had a chance to win playoff games if the there had been one or two rounds of playoffs leading to the World Series. Most years from the 1920s until 1964, the only American League team that had a chance to win postseason games was the Yankees.

SoxxoS
10-14-2004, 02:14 AM
I am in the minority, but I have no problem with the Yankees winning the series. I would like St. Louis or Houston to win it first, but the Yankees winning doesn't tick me off.

They just run a world-class organization, and I respect that. They develop players, they sign the right ones, and they play together. I wish JR spent money like Steinbrenner, but that isn't the hand we are dealt. Im not going to hold that against a competior like Steinbrenner.

munchman33
10-14-2004, 10:43 AM
They just run a world-class organization, and I respect that.
They have an incredibly unfair advantage over every other market. They deserve credit for maximizing their market, but their market maximized is still close to twice the next best market.

I don't think you can compare their success to anyone elses. Nor will most respect their on-field successes compared to others who had to overcome more than the Yankees, who can simply "spend over" their mistakes.

Flight #24
10-14-2004, 11:19 AM
I am in the minority, but I have no problem with the Yankees winning the series. I would like St. Louis or Houston to win it first, but the Yankees winning doesn't tick me off.

They just run a world-class organization, and I respect that. They develop players, they sign the right ones, and they play together. I wish JR spent money like Steinbrenner, but that isn't the hand we are dealt. Im not going to hold that against a competior like Steinbrenner.
I'd agree with everything but that last one. I can't think of a significant "developed" player outside of Soriano in the past 5 or so years (and IMO, the jury's still out on Sori). Even the ones they traded weren't all that great, their deals focus mostly on ability to absorb salary.

Iwritecode
10-14-2004, 12:24 PM
I'd agree with everything but that last one. I can't think of a significant "developed" player outside of Soriano in the past 5 or so years (and IMO, the jury's still out on Sori). Even the ones they traded weren't all that great, their deals focus mostly on ability to absorb salary.

There's that "Jeter" guy...

Mickster
10-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Pfft.....Jeter. Jose has better range!

Lip Man 1
10-14-2004, 12:44 PM
I did a study looking at what might have happened had MLB had the split division concept during the 50's and 60's. (It's on another thread somewhere in this site) and found that between the time period from 1951 through 1967, the Sox would have made the post season six times.

They would have been, if I remember correctly, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1963 and 1964.

Lip

munchman33
10-14-2004, 12:46 PM
Their ability to retain their best players is directly tied to the money they receive. They're the only team that never has to worry about losing its best players, unless a more expensive player is available.

SoxxoS
10-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Lot's of teams spend big money, and have shathouse teams...the Yankees know how to allocate their huge payroll. They can take bigger risks, true, but they need to be right more often than not.

Rush20
10-14-2004, 01:11 PM

I agree. I love to "hate" the Yankees, however I don't hate them and I respect their success and history.

When a "superstar" player joins the Yankees, he is no longer above the team, franchise or the legacy. You can't say that about Sammy Sosa and the Cubs, or Barry Bonds and the Giants or even Alex Rodriquez when he was with the Rangers. His status and contract were above the team and the team suffered. When he was traded to New York, he simply became a high-priced ball player that is not above the team that has a rich history of winning and success. Remember Fisk calling out Deon Sanders?!?!

Compare the mentality of a Yankees spring training where they absolutely expect to win and play in the postseason compared to our Chicago teams where we have a legacy of mediocre (SOX) and losing (CUBS) franchises. We hope to have filled the holes over the off-season so that we can play competitive. Sure the A-Rod deal received a lot of press, however the Yankees have also spent wisely on non-superstars who simply elevated their games once they put on the pinstripes, i.e. Paul O'Neil, David Wells, Aaron Boone, etc.

shagar69
10-14-2004, 02:20 PM

thank you! excellent post. great organization, run on integrity and respect for the game, ALWAYS wanting to win, NEVER accepting faliure

santo=dorf
10-14-2004, 02:25 PM
Guys developed by the Yanks:

Jeter, Bernie, Rivera, Pettite, Posada, Mike Lowell, and Yehncy Brazoban is getting great reviews out in LA (part of the Weaver trade.)

batmanZoSo
10-14-2004, 02:30 PM

On the contrary I hate New York and everything in it and about it.

akingamongstmen
10-14-2004, 04:07 PM

In the past 8 days, the Yankees have won as many postseason games as the White Sox have since 1919.

The Sox won 2 games in '93 against Toronto, once in '83 against Baltimore, and twice in '59 against LA, for a total of 5.

The Yankees, in the past 8 days, have done what the Sox have totaled over the past 85 years.

:whiner:Yup.

:chunks

bc2k
10-14-2004, 10:53 PM

:whiner: I hate these comparisons because they're flawed. As TDog pointed out, because of the changes in the playoff structure, those stats don't tell the whole truth.

It inaccurately makes our Sox seem like perennial, pathetic losers when they've really only been pathetic losers over the past decade, or perhaps through the Reinsdorf era.

Brian26
10-14-2004, 10:55 PM
I hate these comparisons because they're flawed. As TDog pointed out, because of the changes in the playoff structure, those stats don't tell the whole truth.

It inaccurately makes our Sox seem like perennial, pathetic losers when they've really only been pathetic losers over the past decade, or perhaps through the Reinsdorf era.
Yeah, because they won so many pennants in the 1970's.

bc2k
10-15-2004, 01:45 AM
Yeah, because they won so many pennants in the 1970's. Aight, but my statement was still more accurate than trying to compare the modern playoff structure of 8 teams to decades of history with the 2 team playoff structure.

Brian26
10-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Aight, but my statement was still more accurate than trying to compare the modern playoff structure of 8 teams to decades of history with the 2 team playoff structure.

It's just an interesting piece of trivia, so don't take it for more than its worth.

It's like reading now that Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter and Dave Justice have played in over 100 postseason games a piece, totally passing by what Mantle or any of the Yankees/Dodgers ever did. It's just interesting.

JKryl
10-16-2004, 01:36 PM

:whiner:

You sure know how to brighten up the off season. And, the playoffs aren't even over yet!:whiner:

SouthSideHitman
10-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Can't we have it both ways here folks? Can't we hate the Yankees while we respect them? I hate the Yankees with a passion for having an unlimited bottom line, for being able to attract the best players because they know that in New York, they'll probably get a ring, creating a reinforcing cycle of getting the best players through winning and winning because they have the best players. I hate their arrogant, omnipresent fans as well. However that doesn't mean I don't respect their general professionalism and commitement to winning. My two most hated teams are the cubs and yankees and I will always hate the cubs more because they're popularity and love is fed on an aura of losing and not caring, while the yankees is built on only caring about winning.

Lip Man 1
10-16-2004, 10:42 PM
I respect the Yankees because they play hard all the time and have an owner who never forgets the object of the game is to win first, make a profit second. (Even when the Yankees weren't drawing squat in the late 80's / early 90's he was active trying to improve the team...)

I respect the Twins because they also play hard, play the game the right way (i.e. fundamentals) and seem to have a lot of fun.

I wish the White Sox organization from the owner down to the players emulated both those organizations more.

Lip