PDA

View Full Version : A thought...

jabrch
10-13-2004, 03:26 PM
Here's Jason's plan for how to fix things...

1) Dump EVERYONE WE CAN - PK, Carlos, Frank, EVERYONE. Anyone over 25, anyone who has yet accomplished anything. Uribe, Harris, even Crede. Keep only Freddy (I like him), Ben Davis (cheap), Rowand (cheap) Gload (cheap), etc.

2) Become miserable - Enough of this second place crap - that's obviously doesn't placate the fanbase in any way - lets get really bad. How bad? Mid-90s Oakland, late 90s Twins, 60s Cubs, mid-90s Cubs, late 80s Braves, late 80s Indians - I mean REALLY REALLY BAD

3) Run some of the fairweather fans out of town. Nuff of 1.8mm showing up - drive attendance down to about 1.1mm of fans who don't whine and bitch about everything. 2nd place when our two best players missed half the season isn't good enough for you? Just you wait and see

4) Collect draftpicks, young players and talent. trade away anything you can for future talent.

5) Play last place ball for about 5 years

6) Spend about 30mm in those 5 years - and bank the 45mm per for 5 years = 200+MM

7) By about 2010, come out swinging, have young talent and over 200mm in cash banked up to spend on FAs.

** - I can only imagine how some of our posters would sound if we lost 100 games - given how crappy they sound when we finish in second place?

ewokpelts
10-13-2004, 03:28 PM

1) Dump EVERYONE WE CAN - PK, Carlos, Frank, EVERYONE. Anyone over 25, anyone who has yet accomplished anything. Uribe, Harris, even Crede. Keep only Freddy (I like him), Ben Davis (cheap), Rowand (cheap) Gload (cheap), etc.

2) Become miserable - Enough of this second place crap - that's obviously doesn't placate the fanbase in any way - lets get really bad. How bad? Mid-90s Oakland, late 90s Twins, 60s Cubs, mid-90s Cubs, late 80s Braves, late 80s Indians - I mean REALLY REALLY BAD

3) Run some of the fairweather fans out of town. Nuff of 1.8mm showing up - drive attendance down to about 1.1mm of fans who don't whine and bitch about everything. 2nd place when our two best players missed half the season isn't good enough for you? Just you wait and see

4) Collect draftpicks, young players and talent. trade away anything you can for future talent.

6) Spend about 30mm in those 5 years - and bank the 45mm per for 5 years = 200+MM

7) By about 2010, come out swinging, have young talent and over 200mm in cash banked up to spend on FAs.

** - I can only imagine how some of our posters would sound if we lost 100 games - given how crappy they sound when we finish in second place?:reinsy
Sounds like a plan to me , Jason...as long as i can RAISE TICKET PRICES

shagar69
10-13-2004, 03:30 PM
are you kiddin me? we'd have like 600,000 people show up the entire season. yeah and im sure that JR is gonna spend that 200 mil that he has saved up

ewokpelts
10-13-2004, 03:30 PM
are you kiddin me? we'd have like 600,000 people show up the entire season. yeah and im sure that JR is gonna spend that 200 mil that he has saved up:reinsy
nope

mweflen
10-13-2004, 03:34 PM
"So let me get this straight... will I still be able to create the "scout seats" section? Is there any way I can get the taxpayers to foot the bill for decreased attendance during this rebuilding period? I mean, we can't win in 2010 unless people pay now..."
:reinsy

Dick Allen
10-13-2004, 03:40 PM
I don't like this plan simply because I may not be alive in another five years.

mweflen
10-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Does this over 25 rule mean we have to keep Jon Garland?

:bandance:
I guess you did say REALLY bad... pencil in Jon as our #1!

If you wanted to stock the minor league system with prospects who'd be ready by 2010, trading Freddy for 4 or 5 prospects would be the much more sensible option.

jabrch
10-13-2004, 04:51 PM
Does this over 25 rule mean we have to keep Jon Garland?

:bandance:
I guess you did say REALLY bad... pencil in Jon as our #1!

If you wanted to stock the minor league system with prospects who'd be ready by 2010, trading Freddy for 4 or 5 prospects would be the much more sensible option.
Yeah - but I like Freddy.

santo=dorf
10-13-2004, 04:56 PM
How about JR gets into the printing business and just pays every FA counterfeit money?
:reinsy
"It wouldn't work. I don't believe in using colored ink, it costs too much."

hold2dibber
10-13-2004, 05:17 PM
are you kiddin me? we'd have like 600,000 people show up the entire season. yeah and im sure that JR is gonna spend that 200 mil that he has saved up
Revenues would go WAY down; jabrich said they'd be able to save $45 million/year in payroll savings, but that's way off because revenue would plummet, too. And the already decimated fan base would be annihilated.

batmanZoSo
10-13-2004, 07:14 PM

** - I can only imagine how some of our posters would sound if we lost 100 games - given how crappy they sound when we finish in second place?

Hey looking back on all these second place, "respectable" years, I would take your plan. Though this is not the only option for winning a WS...with some initiative we can go for it next year.

The problem is we already went through a smaller, less extreme version of this from 97-99. We rebuilt, stunk it up a little bit but not too much, saved money, then made the playoffs. What's missing is the part when we go all out and get free agents to go for it all.

If we lost 100 games during a re-build with a load of possible future superstars, I wouldn't be nearly as upset as I was this year. For one, there are no expectations and there is a plan and something good to look forward to. I enjoyed the 99 squad even though they were brutal. Young talent is fun to watch.

Shingotime!!
10-13-2004, 07:29 PM
If we have all this young talent then what the heck are we going to do with 200 mil. And why keep Rowand and Gload ect. By 2010 they will be long gone.

Shingotime!!
10-13-2004, 07:32 PM
And if we did get the #1 draft pick by losin 100+ games who cares? Thats just one person. By the time our 2006 draft pick is in his prime the 2009 draft pick will still be learning. Nice plan but, um no, wont work.

jabrch
10-13-2004, 07:45 PM
And if we did get the #1 draft pick by losin 100+ games who cares? Thats just one person. By the time our 2006 draft pick is in his prime the 2009 draft pick will still be learning. Nice plan but, um no, wont work.
So what you are saying is that there is absolutely no chance for this team - ever? Great...

BTW - that entire first post should have been in teal - it was intended as sarcasm. I love the game and enjoy coming out the the park as much as possible. I like wins, but I don't make myself into a lunatic over losses, or over organizational failures. I have no problem with this team the way it is - I enjoy going to see them play. I do wish they'd win - but that's not in the cards right now - I can deal with that.

Shingotime!!
10-13-2004, 08:01 PM
What im saying is we wont ever have a chance of winning by lossing over 100 games.

Shingotime!!
10-13-2004, 08:02 PM
With our luck we will just get 10 borchards.

jabrch
10-13-2004, 08:31 PM
What im saying is we wont ever have a chance of winning by lossing over 100 games.
Agreed - and I think that's a good thing.

ewokpelts
10-14-2004, 08:00 AM
With our luck we will just get 10 borchards.and that's a bad thing?

wdelaney72
10-14-2004, 10:00 AM
:threadsucks

I can't believe this thread has made it this long.

mweflen
10-14-2004, 10:34 AM
10 borchards would mean $50 million in signing bonuses. That would defeat the purpose of the plan! They would all hit .170, though, which would go a long way to achieving the 100-loss goals...

jabrch
10-14-2004, 10:38 AM
10 borchards would mean $50 million in signing bonuses. That would defeat the purpose of the plan! They would all hit .170, though, which would go a long way to achieving the 100-loss goals...
Then we'd get 10 high draft picks, draft Borchard 10 more times, and be 20-deep of Borchards! I am liking this idea more and more every day!

mweflen
10-14-2004, 11:46 AM
Then we'd get 10 high draft picks, draft Borchard 10 more times, and be 20-deep of Borchards! I am liking this idea more and more every day!
I think we have just hit upon an airtight argument against cloning research here...

bigfoot
10-14-2004, 02:21 PM
But with 20 Borchards we're going to be able to run a double-blind experiment..

batmanZoSo
10-14-2004, 02:25 PM
and that's a bad thing?

Okay people, what does powder blue signify? Did I miss anything????
:?:

Soxzilla
10-14-2004, 05:16 PM
Okay people, what does powder blue signify? Did I miss anything????
:?:
http://forum.malkavian.com/persona/lumbergh.jpg
"Did ya not get that memo?"

santo=dorf
10-14-2004, 05:44 PM
:threadsucks

I can't believe this thread has made it this long.
I think jabrch is being super-sarcastic and didn't need to use teal. :dunno:

HebrewHammer
10-14-2004, 10:53 PM
Why not just increase the payroll to $150 million and try to compete next year?

jabrch
10-15-2004, 06:49 AM
Why not just increase the payroll to $150 million and try to compete next year?
This ownership isn't going to take on debt or have a cash call to double the payroll. Not fesible. It is more likely that the sun raises in the NORTH today.