PDA

View Full Version : Sox History

cornball
10-13-2004, 07:42 AM
Interesting article on the back page of the Tribune today. Sorry for not link.

The story discusses the dynasty of the Sox from 1915-1919 and what could have been.

The part most interesting and discussed many times here is this: "Comiskey spent big money to build a winning club....purchased HOF Eddie Collins from the A's...out bid 3 teams for "Shoeless".....aquired Chick Gandil....Comiskey was aggressive in getting players"......

the article goes on to say while Comiskey had the unfair reputation of being cheap, however was typical (of most owners) when the league wasn't doing as well after WWI started in 1917. It was projected before the scandel the Sox would have been a power for years after 1919, with most players in their prime.

I hope JR uses history as a guide to aquire players to win ala Comiskey.

DrCrawdad
10-13-2004, 08:04 AM
Interesting article on the back page of the Tribune today. Sorry for not link.

The story discusses the dynasty of the Sox from 1915-1919 and what could have been.

The part most interesting and discussed many times here is this: "Comiskey spent big money to build a winning club....purchased HOF Eddie Collins from the A's...out bid 3 teams for "Shoeless".....aquired Chick Gandil....Comiskey was aggressive in getting players"......

the article goes on to say while Comiskey had the unfair reputation of being cheap, however was typical (of most owners) when the league wasn't doing as well after WWI started in 1917. It was projected before the scandel the Sox would have been a power for years after 1919, with most players in their prime.

I hope JR uses history as a guide to aquire players to win ala Comiskey.

I didn't see this article on the Cubune webpage. Is it in today's (10/13/04) newspaper?

TommyJohn
10-13-2004, 08:43 AM
I didn't see this article on the Cubune webpage. Is it in today's (10/13/04) newspaper?
It is on the back page, headlined "A Sox dynasty interrupted." Funny how they
point out that Comiskey was aggresive in acquiring players and that he wasn't
the only owner at the time who was "cheap." Rich Lindberg has been making
those same arguments for years. The only reason Comiskey's ways became
known was because his team got caught cheating on a national stage. Notice
I say "got caught." I will never believe that the 1919 Sox are the only team to
ever fix a ballgame or two. Nor were they the last, I'm sure.

Ol' No. 2
10-13-2004, 09:41 AM
It is on the back page, headlined "A Sox dynasty interrupted." Funny how they
point out that Comiskey was aggresive in acquiring players and that he wasn't
the only owner at the time who was "cheap." Rich Lindberg has been making
those same arguments for years. The only reason Comiskey's ways became
known was because his team got caught cheating on a national stage. Notice
I say "got caught." I will never believe that the 1919 Sox are the only team to
ever fix a ballgame or two. Nor were they the last, I'm sure.Actually, it's pretty well accepted that players in that era sometimes supplemented their incomes by throwing games. However, this may be the first time it was done in a WS.

Deadguy
10-13-2004, 09:48 AM
Actually, it's pretty well accepted that players in that era sometimes supplemented their incomes by throwing games. However, this may be the first time it was done in a WS.
You mean the first time they were caught doing it in the WS. You'd have to be pretty naive to believe that no player before this incident had been contacted by an outsider to affect the outcome of the WS for $, and didn't accept it.

TDog
10-13-2004, 10:11 AM
The grand jury that indicted the eight White Sox, including the innocent Buck Weaver, was convened to root out Cubs who were taking money to throw games.

idseer
10-13-2004, 03:36 PM
Random White Sox trivia: Billy Pierce missed a perfect
game by just one batter. On June 27, 1958, he retired
the first 26 Washington Senators he faced before giving
up a double to PH Ed FitzGerald. He retired the next hitter to complete a 3-0 win.
i remember that game like it was yesterday .... and i'm still upset about it. :mad:

pinwheels3530
10-13-2004, 04:00 PM
i remember that game like it was yesterday .... and i'm still upset about it. :mad:

:reinsy

"What Sox history this has always been a Cubs town"

Lip Man 1
10-13-2004, 05:58 PM
Fitzgerald hit a first pitch curve ball low and away and somehow pulled it a foot fair inside the first base line. Billy talked about it in his WSI Interview.

Lip

TornLabrum
10-13-2004, 06:31 PM
The grand jury that indicted the eight White Sox, including the innocent Buck Weaver, was convened to root out Cubs who were taking money to throw games.
It was one pitcher who was approached by a gambler to throw one game. The Cubs manager found out and started Pete Alexander instead. In typical Cubs fashion, they lost the game anyway.