PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to George Bell?

Hank Kimball
10-12-2004, 10:36 PM
The only thing I remember about him was providing relief for Sammy's SO/Hits ratio.

Well, .... my own personal relief, anyway....

There was some stink about the size of his contract.

Well, .... no, I think it might have been some kind of stink about The Strike.

Waaaaiiiit.......

Wasn't there some stink about collusion?

Or was it confusion?

(disclaimer)
forgive me, as i was transplanted from downstate-rube to ozarkian in 1982, from where it was hard to find a chitown newspaper to impossible. well, not impossible, but at least involving a real long drive. did not get internet connectivity until 2000, so there are some hazy areas that i will be ever so grateful to have filled in.

Hank

batmanZoSo
10-12-2004, 10:42 PM
The only thing I remember about him was providing relief for Sammy's SO/Hits ratio.

Waaaaiiiit.......

Or was it confusion?

(disclaimer)
forgive me, as i was transplanted from downstate-rube to ozarkian in 1982, from where it was hard to find a chitown newspaper to impossible. well, not impossible, but at least involving a real long drive. did not get internet connectivity until 2000, so there are some hazy areas that i will be ever so grateful to have filled in.

Hank

He left us after 93 I believe. He's retired now and I believe he has a 7Eleven empire in the Dominican Republic.

idseer
10-12-2004, 11:32 PM
he changed his name to jorge. :cool:

tebman
10-13-2004, 11:32 PM

Waaaaiiiit.......

Or was it confusion?

(disclaimer)

HankThis won't fill any hazy areas, but my fondest memory of George "Taco" Bell was a game my son and I attended (1992?) in which he was brushed back by a pitch. It appeared to just graze his sleeve, but he put on a performance as if his arm was injured and the HP ump gave him first base. An argument ensued between the pitcher, his manager and the HP ump, while Bell stood on first comically rubbing his arm.

That same game he hit a foul while my son and I had our heads turned, and it hit the seat next to us with a loud "BAM!" -- if I had leaned differently, it could've been said that I gave my life for one of George Bell's foul balls. :tongue:

- tebman

kojak
10-13-2004, 11:44 PM
Hank, that was hilarious!
I haven't laughed that hard since Lisa Douglas finally got "the electricicals"

Aw, go ahead- shoost me!

thepaulbowski
10-14-2004, 08:09 AM
he changed his name to jorge. :cool:
I actually got his autograph a few times throughout his careet and I have it as George Bell & Jorge Bell. I've always found that to be entertaining for some reason. :redneck