PDA

View Full Version : Indians decline Vizquel's '05 option

Yorke97
10-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Kenny must be burning up the wire!

hose
10-12-2004, 05:48 PM
The Tribe declined to pick up Omar Vizuel's $5 million option and will pay him a $1 million buyout.

********Vizquel, 37, will become a free agent after the World Series ends. He has said he wants to return for a 12th season in Cleveland, but the Indians are targeting a starting pitcher.

The Indians will pay Vizquel's $1 million buyout and could sign him to a new deal or enter salary arbitration with him by Dec. 7.

Shapiro last week called bringing back the widely popular Vizquel "a longshot."

The team doesn't want to lock into any contracts because they want to look at the free agent market and have some pending salary arbitration cases, including with second baseman Ronnie Belliard.

Vizquel batted .291 with seven homers and 59 RBIs this season. He also scored 82 runs, stole 19 bases and did not commit an error over the last 55 games.

Shapiro would like a veteran middle infielder and said it was unlikely he would start the season with Jhonny Peralta at shortstop together with Brandon Phillips at second base.

The Indians could offer salary arbitration to Belliard, who had a strong first season in Cleveland, or Shapiro said his coaching staff feels third baseman Casey Blake could shift to second.*******

http://www.cleveland.com/sportsflash/local/index.ssf?/base/sports-11/1097610851115160.xml&storylist=clevelandsports

Link requires zip code and birth year to register.

nitetrain8601
10-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Nice article. You know he's on the SS next year.

munchman33
10-12-2004, 07:30 PM
I'd give Vizquel $5 million for 1 year, nothing more. Probably get him for less. He's aging, but is the fundamentally sound type of player we need, especially at SS.

Erik The Red
10-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Nice article. You know he's on the SS next year.
On the what?

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-12-2004, 07:59 PM
i'm guessing the southside. i would take him over jose if he signed for about $3,000,000 although we haven't had that much success with former indian players in the past :?:

RKMeibalane
10-12-2004, 09:36 PM
On the what?
South Side

soxwon
10-12-2004, 10:26 PM
i agree he is ours.
then comes beltran
and hairston jr
before we dump maggs
trade c lee for a #1 starter

OEO Magglio
10-12-2004, 10:41 PM
i agree he is ours.
then comes beltran
and hairston jr
before we dump maggs
And then you woke up.

Chrisaway
10-12-2004, 11:35 PM
Sounds good. I'd take Omar Vizquel over Valentin. He'd probably be cheaper too.

SOXSINCE'70
10-13-2004, 08:23 AM
i agree he is ours.
then comes beltran
and hairston jr
before we dump maggs
trade c lee for a #1 starterI'd like to drink whatever you drink before you go to bed.
That's one sweet dream that won't come true.

(At least not fully.Hairston Jr. is a possibility,but there
is no way Carlos Beltran is coming to the South Side.
His agent is Scott Boras.No Boras client will ever
play for the Sox.Thanks,Uncle Jer!!)

DrCrawdad
10-13-2004, 09:08 AM
i agree he is ours.
then comes beltran
and hairston jr
before we dump maggs

I'll be thrilled IF this pipedream comes thru. If Beltran is anything other than a Yankee next season I'll be shocked.

batmanZoSo
10-13-2004, 08:06 PM
I didn't see any thread on this, so move if necessary....

Now that we've been over the token Renteria/Nomar fantasies for this offseason, here we have a realisitic and good fit in Omar that's up for the taking. My first choice would be to orchestrate a trade for either Brian Roberts or Jerry Hairston because they're younger, but I would certainly take Vizquel at a few million bucks. Great defense, capable enough leadoff man (would allow Rowand to bat in front of Frank) and should be pretty cheap. He would be a nice stop gap solution for possibly two years--at least one. And although I've been fervent in improving small ball and defense, I believe the big money should be spent on pitching. Vizquel has come up a few times here, but now he's out there. I wouldn't be surprised if we did get him just on account of he's an aging former Indian.

Vizquel and Uribe would be a damn solid combo. We ain't used to greatness there.

santo=dorf
10-13-2004, 10:14 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40971

Rex Hudler
10-13-2004, 10:31 PM
I'd give Vizquel $5 million for 1 year, nothing more. Probably get him for less. He's aging, but is the fundamentally sound type of player we need, especially at SS.
I'm pretty confident that Omar could be had for 2 years for $5 million.

I think Omar would be a great fit for the Sox. I do not think he is the answer to the leadoff spot. Omar would fit very nicely into the two hole. He doesn't like to lead off and although he is better than we have right now, I don't think he is the best choice there.

cwsox
10-13-2004, 10:39 PM
oh come on, just say no to aging Cleveland relics on the sharp decline.

Haven't we done that enough?

Ten years ago, yes.

Not now. Not ever.

nodiggity59
10-13-2004, 10:49 PM
I'm pretty confident that Omar could be had for 2 years for $5 million.

I think Omar would be a great fit for the Sox. I do not think he is the answer to the leadoff spot. Omar would fit very nicely into the two hole. He doesn't like to lead off and although he is better than we have right now, I don't think he is the best choice there.
Why don't people think we have a leadoff hitter? Rowand hit well over .300 in that spot this year. :?:

Wealz
10-13-2004, 11:29 PM
I'm okay with Uribe at short for the time being. What about Larkin as a possibility for 2B?

I've been on record as in favor of rebuilding, but the Sox have no viable candidates for the position so signing a 41-year-old cheap wouldn't effect that and Larkin may still be able get on base at a decent rate from the #2 spot in the order.

Rex Hudler
10-13-2004, 11:35 PM
oh come on, just say no to aging Cleveland relics on the sharp decline.

Haven't we done that enough?

Ten years ago, yes.

Not now. Not ever.cw, how is Vizquel on the sharp decline? He just had a very solid season.

Rex Hudler
10-13-2004, 11:40 PM
I'm okay with Uribe at short for the time being. What about Larkin as a possibility for 2B?

I've been on record as in favor of rebuilding, but the Sox have no viable candidates for the position so signing a 41-year-old cheap wouldn't effect that and Larkin may still be able get on base at a decent rate from the #2 spot in the order.
In my mind Vizquel at SS and Uriber or Harris at 2B > Uribe at SS and Larkin at 2B.

I still think, if given the chance, Willie may be better than everyone thinks at 2B next year. He was inconsistent, yet not too bad overall for his first year as a starter. Bat him 9th and give him room to grow. Not too many people here thought Rowand could get the job done and he certainly did.

batmanZoSo
10-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Why don't people think we have a leadoff hitter? Rowand hit well over .300 in that spot this year. :?:

Rowand is too good of a hitter to leadoff. And on top of that he doesn't take pitches or walk. But batting .300 with 25 homers with decent speed would make him a perfect number two hitter. Vizquel would be an improvement over anything else we could throw up there at leadoff...and he's still probably the best shortstop we would have had since Aparicio.