PDA

View Full Version : (TEAL) Shocker. Braves Lose.

TommyJohn
10-12-2004, 02:33 AM
I wonder how Braves fans feel about losing to the Astros. Not only does
Atlanta's postseason futility continue, but for the last two years they
have been eliminated by teams that hadn't won a playoff series in a
combined 138 years. Not that I feel any sympathy mind you (although
I did like Atlanta years ago when they had one of my favorite players,
Dale Murphy) it's just something I'm pointing out.

FightingBillini
10-12-2004, 03:10 AM
You are implying they have fans. Braves fans are worse than A's fans. They will win 100 games and have only 25,000 turn out for any given game in july. Not that one could blame them, they have been spoiled with riches these last 13 years. Atlanta is just a horrible sports town. They had only sold 34,000 tickets for todays game coming into today. Anytime the Sox are near the playoffs, playoff tickets sell out immediately after they go on sale. They arent true fans there. The state of Texas is a baseball rich state, and it has never even seen a world series. There are certainly good fans in Texas, most Astros games were sold out this year. I find it hard to feel sympathetic to the Braves fan(s).

TommyJohn
10-12-2004, 03:41 AM
You are implying they have fans. Braves fans are worse than A's fans. They will win 100 games and have only 25,000 turn out for any given game in july. Not that one could blame them, they have been spoiled with riches these last 13 years. Atlanta is just a horrible sports town. They had only sold 34,000 tickets for todays game coming into today. Anytime the Sox are near the playoffs, playoff tickets sell out immediately after they go on sale. They arent true fans there. The state of Texas is a baseball rich state, and it has never even seen a world series. There are certainly good fans in Texas, most Astros games were sold out this year. I find it hard to feel sympathetic to the Braves fan(s).
A playoff series on the South Side would sell out? REALLY? That's not what I
hear from the Chicago media.

You are right in that it is hard to feel sorry for Atlanta. They just don't seem
to care. Last year they let Cub fans buy up tons of tickets and come to Atl.
Then they cried when some of those fans overran the town and acted ob-
noxious and jerky. Well, sell out your damn playoff games, then you wouldn't
have to put up with some visiting fans and their rude behavior.

owensmouth
10-12-2004, 04:32 AM
With the Astros winning the NLDS against Atlanta, it lowers the number of teams that haven't won a post season series since 1918 to two, Tampa Bay and the White Sox. Pretty pathetic company...

jackbrohamer
10-12-2004, 06:14 AM
With the Astros winning the NLDS against Atlanta, it lowers the number of teams that haven't won a post season series since 1918 to two, Tampa Bay and the White Sox. Pretty pathetic company...Don't forget Colorado + Seattle. Still pathetic company.

bigfoot
10-12-2004, 08:10 AM
. The state of Texas is a baseball rich state, and it has never even seen a world series. There are certainly good fans in Texas, most Astros games were sold out this year.
Watch to see what happens in Houston on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday during football season.

samram
10-12-2004, 08:15 AM
Seattle? They beat Chicago in 2000, If I remember correctly.
They also beat the Yankees in 1995 and the Indians in 2001.

danjames
10-12-2004, 09:55 AM
and wouldn't the white sox have had to win a post season series in '59 to get TO the world series?

Baby Fisk
10-12-2004, 10:00 AM
and wouldn't the white sox have had to win a post season series in '59 to get TO the world series?Actually, no. Back then, the AL and NL each had one division (or no divisions, more appropriately put), with each league's top team meeting in the World Series. It may sound crazy but it's true.

owensmouth
10-12-2004, 10:02 AM
and wouldn't the white sox have had to win a post season series in '59 to get TO the world series?No, 1959 there was no "playoffs", the White Sox won the American League Championship. Back then, the winner of the post season series was the world series champion.

Brian26
10-12-2004, 10:06 AM
With the Astros winning the NLDS against Atlanta, it lowers the number of teams that haven't won a post season series since 1918 to two, Tampa Bay and the White Sox. Pretty pathetic company...

That's f'n unbelievable. Can that be correct? Seattle has won one. What about the Texas Rangers? Colorado? Montreal Expos? (Are you counting '81?). Wow.

owensmouth
10-12-2004, 10:14 AM
That's f'n unbelievable. Can that be correct? Seattle has won one. What about the Texas Rangers? Colorado? Montreal Expos? (Are you counting '81?). Wow.
Oops, you're right...Texas, Montreal, Colorado and the White Sox. Of course, our White Sox had a 50 year head start on the others.

danjames
10-12-2004, 10:41 AM
Wow. I stand corrected! What an embarassing stat.

Justafan
10-12-2004, 10:56 AM
The Braves were fortunate to win their division this year, they simply were a watered down version of the 2003 team. I'm surprised that series even went 5 games.

MisterB
10-12-2004, 11:57 AM
No, 1959 there was no "playoffs", the White Sox won the American League Championship. Back then, the winner of the post season series was the world series champion.
Actually the Sox won a 154-game round robin playoff to get there. :D:

MUsoxfan
10-12-2004, 06:26 PM
You are implying they have fans. Braves fans are worse than A's fans. They will win 100 games and have only 25,000 turn out for any given game in july. Not that one could blame them, they have been spoiled with riches these last 13 years. Atlanta is just a horrible sports town. They had only sold 34,000 tickets for todays game coming into today. Anytime the Sox are near the playoffs, playoff tickets sell out immediately after they go on sale. They arent true fans there.

As upset as I get about the White Sox sometimes I think I'd be utterly pissed off if I were a Braves fan. The Braves make it to the playoffs literally every year and they have but ONE World Series Championship to show for it. I think Braves fans love their team, but they see the same movie every year. They lose the division series at home. I wouldn't want to see that if I was a Braves fan.

FightingBillini
10-12-2004, 06:28 PM
As upset as I get about the White Sox sometimes I think I'd be utterly pissed off if I were a Braves fan. The Braves make it to the playoffs literally every year and they have but ONE World Series Championship to show for it. I think Braves fans love their team, but they see the same movie every year. They lose the division series at home. I wouldn't want to see that if I was a Braves fan.
Im not saying its a good feeling losing in the first round of the playoffs every year. But every single Braves fan can say they have witnessed a world series championship in their lifetime. My deceased grandparents couldnt say that.

Hitmen77
10-12-2004, 11:49 PM
I wonder how Braves fans feel about losing to the Astros. Not only does
Atlanta's postseason futility continue, but for the last two years they
have been eliminated by teams that hadn't won a playoff series in a
combined 138 years. Not that I feel any sympathy mind you (although
I did like Atlanta years ago when they had one of my favorite players,
Dale Murphy) it's just something I'm pointing out.
I heard that idiot Astros fans were at Game 5 and referring to Turner Field as "Minute Maid East", talked about the Astros "curse", and celebrated their team's lovable losers status. Oh wait, only jackasses who root for the Cubs do that sort of thing.

Orta 4-6-3
10-13-2004, 11:58 AM
Is there an achievement in sports as simultaneously impressive and underwhelming as the Braves 1991-present? To make the post season every year, but have only one World Championship to show for it (granted, that is one more than both Chicago teams combined in that span), in such a horrible sports city, is just sort of blah. Since making the World Series in 1996, the only teams they ever beat in the playoffs, besides the Astros, were the Cubs in 1998 and the Mets in 1999. The last four times they have been eliminated at home. And now the Astros curse is gone. Though I would l love for the Sox to have the chance to be as disappointing as the Braves...

Baby Fisk
10-13-2004, 12:12 PM
This Braves Fan Site (http://www.braves.net/) looks like a pretty depressing place. Oddly familiar in a way, just on a different level.

This quote from one of the message boards seems to sum it up for Atlanta:

Most people can't stand to go to the postseason games because they think the Braves will lose and don't want to go through that again. Pretty brutal mindset to instill in a fanbase.

Hitmen77
10-13-2004, 12:17 PM
Let's not forget that the Braves 1991-present won as many pennants (FIVE) as the White Sox have in their entire 104 year history.

The also WON THE WORLD SERIES in 1995. So, let's see, they've gone 9 years w/out winning the world series and the Sox have gone 87 years w/out a world series.

marlins03
10-13-2004, 02:59 PM
Let's not forget that the Braves 1991-present won as many pennants (FIVE) as the White Sox have in their entire 104 year history.

The also WON THE WORLD SERIES in 1995. So, let's see, they've gone 9 years w/out winning the world series and the Sox have gone 87 years w/out a world series. Who Cares about the Braves and what they done 5 Pennants WOW thats something Rings are better than Pennants

santo=dorf
10-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Who Cares about the Braves and what they done 5 Pennants WOW thats something Rings are better than PennantsYou have to realize that you are talking to White Sox fans. You don't even want to know what I would do to see the White Sox win a single pennant in my lifetime. And no, I won't sell out to appear on a Mastercard commercial like a Red Sux or Scurbs fan to talk about it. :angry:

Hitmen77
10-14-2004, 09:23 AM
Who Cares about the Braves and what they done 5 Pennants WOW thats something Rings are better than Pennants
I didn't quite follow this run-on sentence or the point you were trying to make.

But if I'm reading this correctly - if you're saying that 5 pennants means nothing because they have no rings, you're wrong - as I said the Braves WON THE WORLD SERIES during this stretch. This thread on a Sox Fans website is about how the Braves are losers and I can't honestly say that when they have won the World Series within the last 10 years and the Sox last won the World Series during WWI.

If pennants really mean nothing, then why do us Sox fans fondly talk about the 1959 team? Since they lost to the Dodgers, I guess they were just losers and we shouldn't give a damn about that 59 team.

batmanZoSo
10-14-2004, 01:31 PM
I really wish the Braves would just go away. Every series they have is lame and no one shows up and they never do anything. You know they're going down in the first round. God I'm so sick of them. I thought it was over when they came to Chicago and got smoked, looking really bad..but of course they get all these lucky breaks like Jaret "I haven't been good since my rookie year" Wright becomes cy young junior and JD "me neither" Drew becomes a poor man's Mickey Mantle. Then Johnny Estrada, a 27 year old rookie or close to it comes out of nowhere and hits .330. Come on...

I love watching the playoffs, so seeing a fresh team in there would be nice. The Braves suck, their fans suck, their announcers completely suck. Why can't they just die already...figuratively speaking.