PDA

View Full Version : For the first time in MLB history.....

santo=dorf
10-11-2004, 11:03 PM
.....a team from the NL Central will represent the National League in the World Series. Now we get to listen to Cubs fans cry about how they were in the toughest division in the league.:rolleyes: I think the AL West is the toughest.

daveeym
10-11-2004, 11:06 PM
.....a team from the NL Central will represent the National League in the World Series. Now we get to listen to Cubs fans cry about how they were in the toughest division in the league.:rolleyes: I think the AL West is the toughest. Well you got the same thing coming out of the AL East - for the last two years even.

joe47
10-11-2004, 11:12 PM
.....a team from the NL Central will represent the National League in the World Series. Now we get to listen to Cubs fans cry about how they were in the toughest division in the league.:rolleyes: I think the AL West is the toughest.
Does anyone think that the Astros-Cardinals NLCS is bad news for the Cubs? With the extra revenue from the playoffs, plus the emotional boost, don't you see the Stros and Cards spending more and getting better next year? Hopefully so, and we Sox fans won't have to sweat the prospect of the Cubs finishing better than 3rd place next year.

StillMissOzzie
10-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Does anyone think that the Astros-Cardinals NLCS is bad news for the Cubs? With the extra revenue from the playoffs, plus the emotional boost, don't you see the Stros and Cards spending more and getting better next year? Hopefully so, and we Sox fans won't have to sweat the prospect of the Cubs finishing better than 3rd place next year.
Well, I also thing it's bad news for White Sox fans, especially those holding onto a pipe dream of Carlos Beltran in black pinstripes next year. Especially if the Astros can get past the Cardinals.

SMO
:(:

jackbrohamer
10-11-2004, 11:29 PM
Well the NL Central certainly is the biggest division, with 6 teams. Scrub fans will have to explain away the miserable Reds Pirates and Brewers before they claim it's the best. But claiming they're in the best division gives them another excuse for losing so I expect to hear it as well.

dcb33
10-12-2004, 12:07 AM
Well, I also thing it's bad news for White Sox fans, especially those holding onto a pipe dream of Carlos Beltran in black pinstripes next year. Especially if the Astros can get past the Cardinals.

SMO
:(:
It doesn't matter what the Astros do- there is no freakin way we would ever be able to sign Carlos Beltran. Apparently his agent has said bidding can start around 20/mil a year for him (which is completely ridiculous). I don't think the Sox would be able to afford 10-12mil let alone 20. What Astros success does do is it also helps keep Beltran away from the Cubs.
If the Cardinals do well and win it all (which is what I'm hoping for), it will give them an added boost in revenue to make sure they can bring Renteria back. That would just crack me up considering the how devistated the average Cubs fan who calls into the Score would be when they are talking about what the Cubs should do this offseason. You know who I'm talking about, they all sound the same: "Hey yeah, I've got a great move the Cubs could make this offseason. Why don't we go and sign that Renteria guy down in St. Louis? I hear he's pretty good and he could help the Cubs."

Rush20
10-12-2004, 11:57 AM
That fact that the Astros are playing the Cardinals for the NLCS only rubs additional salt in the wounds of Cubs fans. I love it!!!

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Tony LaRussa win another ring! Also, I'm glad one of my personal favorite players; Larry Walker has a chance for a ring.

Remember when the SOX brass chose to pursue Albert Belle instead of Larry Walker? We all know the results...

shagar69
10-12-2004, 12:01 PM
That fact that the Astros are playing the Cardinals for the NLCS only rubs additional salt in the wounds of Cubs fans. I love it!!!

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Tony LaRussa win another ring! Also, I'm glad one of my personal favorite players; Larry Walker has a chance for a ring.

Remember when the SOX brass chose to pursue Albert Belle instead of Larry Walker? We all know the results...
IIRC, it was Bonds we didnt go after, not walker. and even bigger mistake!

santo=dorf
10-12-2004, 12:54 PM
IIRC, it was Bonds we didnt go after, not walker. and even bigger mistake!:hurt
"Blame me."

And I the only one who enjoyed Albert Belle on the Sox?:?:

DumpJerry
10-13-2004, 05:40 PM

SMO
:(:Well, I for one am not holding out much hope for the Sox next year. Too many holes to fill and a certain intangible spirit is missing. Therefore, I am hoping for the best from us (better to have low expectations that high ones with this team...) and the Flubs falling into the toilet. More power to the Red Birds and 'Stros. The Brew Crew, as I recall, gave the Flubs fits this season, too.......

ode to veeck
10-16-2004, 12:27 PM
We have one team in the playoffs that passed 6 teams since mid August to get there. According ESPN http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2004/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1902818 it has never happened before in the history of baseball. And then the Strohs are playing the team with the best record in baseball, who could go on to join the '70 Orioles, '75 Big Red Machine, '86 Mets, '98 Yanks to win 105 games in regular season and WS, pretty good company if they can do it ... and yet there's 6 times as many articles on ESPN any major news rags TV etc on the YankMes/Wrong Sox series.

There's even more stories on the rainout lastnight than the "JV Series", er, uh, NLCS. Maybe Henry could do special playoffs version of the media updaes to track ALCS/NLCS stories ratios ... he made need a caclulator, as I bet it far surpasses the 3:1 Flubs/Sox stories ratios of the local media. I hope the ultimate winner of the NLCS spanks the heck out of the ALCS winner.

Gosox1917
10-16-2004, 12:58 PM
I love the White Sox as much and consider myself the #1 fan in the 18-21 age range. But, since the Sox couldn't get in again this year, GO CARDINALS!!! They hate the Cubs just as much Sox do and would be more fun to watch in the World Series, IMO.

Railsplitter
10-16-2004, 01:16 PM
Considering the Cards won 100+ games this year, and they played much of against thier own divisional foes, I'd say it's not a tough division, but try to convince a Cub fan of that.

batmanZoSo
10-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Considering the Cards won 100+ games this year, and they played much of against thier own divisional foes, I'd say it's not a tough division, but try to convince a Cub fan of that.

The assertion that it's the toughest division is horsesh##. You have three weak teams to play because you have six total...the AL west is the toughest because it's concentrated a lot more. And the Astros were mediocre for most of the year and the cubs were done with the Cardinals by July. The Cubs lost because they have many weaknesses, a stupid manager and a lot of injuries.

SOXSINCE'70
10-17-2004, 04:52 PM
The Cubs lost because they have many weaknesses, a stupid manager and a lot of injuries.
But it was fun for White Sox fans to watch,wasn't it??:D: :D: :D: