PDA

View Full Version : More JM Contradictions

duke of dorwood
10-08-2001, 08:53 AM
Does Manuel want Clayton back?

''A lot depends on what is around him,'' Manuel said. ''It's too hard to say he didn't fulfill what we thought because he did. He ended up hitting [.263] and he played the best shortstop I've seen since I've been here. I can't say we don't want him back. All the things have to fit.

''I'd like to have that type of shortstop, but the American League is so tough offensively. We need to get offense and defense from that position.''

:jerry

Get the Net

Spiff
10-08-2001, 09:04 AM
WOW Royce made less errors than Slappy or Manos. Why don't we just get the plaque ready in Cooperstown right now.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-08-2001, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Does Manuel want Clayton back?

''A lot depends on what is around him,'' Manuel said. ''It's too hard to say he didn't fulfill what we thought because he did. He ended up hitting [.263] and he played the best shortstop I've seen since I've been here. I can't say we don't want him back. All the things have to fit.

''I'd like to have that type of shortstop, but the American League is so tough offensively. We need to get offense and defense from that position.''

:jerry

Get the Net

LOL, good one Duke!

When you listen to guys like Manuel, you have to interpret the true meaning, sort of like one of those oracle priests in ancient Delphi. Here is my interpretation of Jerry's "tea leaves".

What Jerry is telling us is that he doesn't mind Clayton's defense, but he can't afford his streaky bat. That is, UNLESS the Sox fix hitting troubles elsewhere. We can assume Manuel is talking about centerfielder and catcher since these were the two positions besides SS that were always at the bottom of his line up.

If Jerry doesn't get a better catcher and centerfielder, Jerry does not want Royce Clayton playing because his bat is too costly to the offense.

From this we can assume Jerry is directly confronting KW with this choice during the team's organizational meetings: fix catcher and centerfielder or get rid of Clayton. If you don't, I'm not playing Clayton. (Presumably, the new shortstop would be Valentin).

Now offer me the entrails of a goat as tribute for these ecclesiastical insights!
:)

RichieRichAllen
10-08-2001, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Now offer me the entrails of a goat as tribute for these ecclesiastical insights!
:)

Wow! I'm impressed. The hell with the goat entrails...I'll offer my first born. He's 14, knows everything and often erupts in adolescent rages. But, for that kind of insight.....it's worth it. Enjoy, my wise friend.

GASHWOUND
10-08-2001, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen

Wow! I'm impressed. The hell with the goat entrails...I'll offer my first born. He's 14, knows everything and often erupts in adolescent rages. But, for that kind of insight.....it's worth it. Enjoy, my wise friend.

Thats funny! :)

But whocan ever tell what JM is saying. Didn't he make reference to Gumbo? Gumbo? *** is this guy talking about. Do people still eat gumbo? *** is gumbo?

duke of dorwood
10-08-2001, 03:05 PM
Isnt Gumbo a Cub farmhand?

:lynch&mcfail

Drafted off the menu