PDA

View Full Version : Robin Ventura retires

TommyJohn
10-11-2004, 04:35 AM
Robin Ventura announced his retirement after the Dodgers' loss tonight. One of the all-time great White Sox, had many fine moments in a Sox uni. His definitive
one, of course, has to be that game-winning grand slam off Rich Gossage in July
of 1991. Also, his two grand slams in one game in 1995. Enjoy retirement, Robin.

Nick@Nite
10-11-2004, 06:29 AM
Well said Tommy.

But let's not forget the rumble in the jungle...

:nolanventura

I couldn't help myself! :redneck

Erik The Red
10-11-2004, 06:38 AM
One of my favorite players from the early 90s teams.

doublem23
10-11-2004, 07:08 AM
He and Frank are the reason I am a Sox fan. Man, it'd be nice to see him come back.

SOXSINCE'70
10-11-2004, 07:14 AM
Well said Tommy.

But let's not forget the rumble in the jungle...

:nolanventura

I couldn't help myself! :redneck
Personally,that was one of the funniest moments in baseball for me.
Enjoy retirement,Robin.Your 9th inning granny off Goose Gossage on 7/31/91 still stands as the greatest moment in New Comiskey for me.

Soxzilla
10-11-2004, 07:24 AM
Like double said, he's one of the reasons I became a sox fan in the first place.:wink:

You had a great career...my friend.

DumpJerry
10-11-2004, 07:38 AM
Robin,

Thanks for the memories. I was there 7-31-91. Time to retire number 23!

Dan H
10-11-2004, 08:18 AM
Probably the best all around third baseman the Sox ever. His homer off Dennis Eckersley in early September 1993 was a big turning point in winning the division title that year.

LuvSox
10-11-2004, 09:10 AM
Robin,

Thanks for the memories. I was there 7-31-91.
The ball landed two rows behind me. Awesome game.

Brian26
10-11-2004, 09:24 AM
July 31, 1991 was one of the greatest Sox wins in the past 20 years. Just an unbelievable game.

Ventura is my favorite player of all time. Always seemed to hustle, have fun, and was a class act. A little part of me wishes he could have had one more season in a Sox uniform to end it, even as a role player off the bench.

Thanks for the memories Robin.

jshanahanjr
10-11-2004, 10:01 AM
It's too bad he retired. I think he has some good baseball left in him, but maybe he would rather spend time with his own kids instead of Milton Bradley?

mdep524
10-11-2004, 10:34 AM
One of my favorite players of all time. A great player and a classy guy all the way. Thanks for the memories Robin, and congrats on a great career.

Clembasbal
10-11-2004, 10:56 AM
If is wasn't for Jerry, Rockin Robin still might be in a Sox uniform, and with the short fences he might have had 25 grand slams, and still be playing today.

He was a great sports figure and a great guy. Too bad we couldn't bring him back.

I'd like to think Hall of Fame material, but if Santo can't get in (though I think he doesn't belong, but Cubs Media bias still hasn't succeeded with that) then Robin won't be in it either.

23 needs to be retired, soon!

SSN721
10-11-2004, 11:11 AM
Good luck and good life, Robin. It is a shame he couldnt play more years here, as he was one of my favorites growing up. Classy, gutsy, hard-nosed player. Have a good retirement.

jackbrohamer
10-11-2004, 11:14 AM
He was a great player for the Sox, and should have spent his career here. One of Reinsdorf's low points was when the Sox gave him a joke low-ball offer after the Mets made him an offer as a FA. Sox haven't really filled the hole at 3B since he left.

TornLabrum
10-11-2004, 11:53 AM
He was a great player for the Sox, and should have spent his career here. One of Reinsdorf's low points was when the Sox gave him a joke low-ball offer after the Mets made him an offer as a FA. Sox haven't really filled the hole at 3B since he left.
Hey! What about Joe Crede????

Lip Man 1
10-11-2004, 11:59 AM
Very good player, Gold Glove winner, power hitter, a symbol of what was once a promising up and coming club.

Certainly I remember the grand slam off Gossage but I also remember the fly ball he hit to Jim Leyritz in Andy Hawkins no hit loss on July 1, 1990. I remember his terriffic All Star game in San Diego in 92 (?), and his performances in both 1993 and 1994. And who could forget the horriffic injury sliding at home in in late March 97 and the work he did to get back only four months later.

I also remember this famous quote shortly after July 31, 1997. Which probably sealed his fate with upper management.

"I didn't know the season ended in August."

We'll see if we can get ahold of Robin for a future WSI interview!

Lip

Lip Man 1
10-11-2004, 12:01 PM
Or Greg Norton? Or Chris Snopek???

Lip

FightingBillini
10-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Its a bittersweet day. A part of me always thought he would end up back here. I just hope that managment brings him back in some form. Even if he wont come out of retirement to be a role player with us, I hope they make him an assistant manager or a special coach in spring training.
Also, Robin's picture needs to go up on the left field wall.

Greg1983
10-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Thanks for starting this thread...I would have done it if someone else hadn't.

Robin was solid...one of those guys who actually made me feel confident when he came to the plate with RISP or the game on the line. It takes quite a bit to make a White Sox fan feel confidence.

And imagine this...a powerful bat who can play DEFENSE. And win GOLD GLOVES!!! What a concept.

What do you folks think? Is it worth retiring #23? My first reaction was that he didn't play in Chicago long enough or quite well enough to deserve the honor, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. It's not like we're going to have a cavalcade of Hall of Famers coming through the South Side anytime soon.

In any event, I certainly hope they have some kind of Robin Ventura day next year. And I'll be there.

Greg

California Sox
10-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Robin, Frank, and Black Jack were the team in the '90s. Also, Robin is one of Reinsdorf's favorite playersof all time so I think we will definitely see a Ventura Day at the Cell.

silhouette
10-11-2004, 01:39 PM
Very good player, Gold Glove winner, power hitter, a symbol of what was once a promising up and coming club.

Certainly I remember the grand slam off Gossage but I also remember the fly ball he hit to Jim Leyritz in Andy Hawkins no hit loss on July 1, 1990. I remember his terriffic All Star game in San Diego in 92 (?), and his performances in both 1993 and 1994. And who could forget the horriffic injury sliding at home in in late March 97 and the work he did to get back only four months later.

I also remember this famous quote shortly after July 31, 1997. Which probably sealed his fate with upper management.

"I didn't know the season ended in August."

We'll see if we can get ahold of Robin for a future WSI interview!

Lip
I'll miss Robin. He, Frank, Jack, and Bobby renewed my interest to the White Sox back in 1990. I still remember that game where he hit two grand slams.

SomebodyToldMe
10-11-2004, 02:02 PM
This is too much sad news in a row.

Robin is my favorite SOX player. I borrowed his batting stance. The guy was great. And third base hasn't been the same at all since he's been gone.

And like someone mentioned, I was hoping that he would come back here just for one more year. To finish off his career. But it's not gonna happen.

Thanks, Robin for all the memories you gave me. I was at a game when I went with my Little League and you hit a homer that game. Thanks, man.

It's been a joy watching you over the years.

patbooyah
10-11-2004, 03:39 PM
i was lucky enough to see robin's last at-bat last night at dodgers stadium. i hoped he would be able to finish on a better note(it was a dribbler to the pitcher), but i still feel like i saw history. i loved him as a kid and hope he has a good retirement.

RKMeibalane
10-11-2004, 05:05 PM
He and Frank are the reason I am a Sox fan. Man, it'd be nice to see him come back.
Same here. So long, Robin. Good luck, and thanks for the memories!

StillMissOzzie
10-11-2004, 05:38 PM
I was there for the 7/31/91 game too, and it was an electric moment. Best wishes in whatever you choose to do, Robin.

SMO
:gulp:

SomebodyToldMe
10-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Also, the Sox MUST retire his number in my opinion.

Foulke You
10-11-2004, 07:08 PM
I was there for the 7/31/91 game too, and it was an electric moment. Best wishes in whatever you choose to do, Robin.

SMO
:gulp:
Was this the grand slam game in the bottom of the 9th?

minastirith67
10-11-2004, 07:19 PM
Or Greg Norton? Or Chris Snopek???

Lip

Man, that would rule!

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-11-2004, 07:37 PM
Definitely one of my favorite players as well. It's sad to see my favorite players from my childhood retiring. I hope Frank hangs in there for some more productive seasons! I was really cheering for the Dodgers this postseason because Rockin Robin was on the team. Anyone go to the White Sox-Yankees game in 2002 where they showed the Ventura tribute video? It was amazing.

RKMeibalane
10-11-2004, 07:43 PM
Was this the grand slam game in the bottom of the 9th?
Yes, it was.

JKryl
10-11-2004, 10:55 PM
He was a great player with a lot of class. My only hope now is that the Sox treat him better than they treated Fisk. Call him back for a home coming. He'll be well received by the fans.

Again, how come Sox isn't in the spell checker at this site?:o:

DumpJerry
10-11-2004, 11:13 PM
Retire 23, retire 23, retire 23, retire 23, retire 23, retire 23, retire 23

Bisco Stu
10-12-2004, 02:03 AM
And special props to Robin's "Grand Single" in the '99 NLCS, as well as being part of the greatest defensive infield statistically in MLB history that same season.

Baby Fisk
10-12-2004, 08:56 AM
One of my favourites, best wishes to Rockin Robin, (almost) the grand slam king.

tebman
10-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks for starting this thread...I would have done it if someone else hadn't.

Robin was solid...one of those guys who actually made me feel confident when he came to the plate with RISP or the game on the line. It takes quite a bit to make a White Sox fan feel confidence.

And imagine this...a powerful bat who can play DEFENSE. And win GOLD GLOVES!!! What a concept.

What do you folks think? Is it worth retiring #23? My first reaction was that he didn't play in Chicago long enough or quite well enough to deserve the honor, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. It's not like we're going to have a cavalcade of Hall of Famers coming through the South Side anytime soon.

In any event, I certainly hope they have some kind of Robin Ventura day next year. And I'll be there.

GregVentura was a pleasure to watch. He hit for power, but sensible power (unlike some northside right fielders we know). And he knew how to play third, which is more than athletic ability.

There are a few players who are emblematic of the Sox for me: Nellie Fox, Bill Melton, Eric Soderholm, Jack McDowell, Ray Durham and Robin Ventura. They were all guys who took the game seriously, but didn't take themselves too seriously. If our tribe of Sox fans has a personality, that's it. Work hard and remember who you are.

Thanks, Robin.

- tebman

DC Sox Fan
10-12-2004, 04:16 PM
I'm going to miss Robin. I loved a couple quotes on chicagosports.com where he said that he would definitely consider coming back here to coach because of his affection for Ozzie, Joey, Harold, etc. But the end of the blurb was the best, where he was quoted as saying:

"I will always feel like I'm a White Sox."
The guy was true class and definitely deserves a showing of support and appreciation.

Chrisaway
10-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Happy Trails Rockin Robin. You're one of the best 3B I've ever seen play. Hope the Sox retire your #23 soon.

mjmcend
10-12-2004, 11:00 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-041011rowcorner,1,4524627.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

That is a great article about Robin. And it comes from the Tribune, I almost can't believe it. I guess it is hard even for the Cubune to knock someone as great as Rockin' Robin.

Hitmen77
10-13-2004, 09:02 AM
Robin Ventura announced his retirement after the Dodgers' loss tonight. One of the all-time great White Sox, had many fine moments in a Sox uni. His definitive
one, of course, has to be that game-winning grand slam off Rich Gossage in July
of 1991. Also, his two grand slams in one game in 1995. Enjoy retirement, Robin.I was saddened to hear about Robin's retirement. I'll never forget watching is July '91 slam on TV and watching Big Frank hoisting him up triumphantly on his shoulder.

Robin was my favorite Sox player and, in a way, he represented the unfulfilled promise of that early 90s team. When he came up, I thought he and Thomas would both be perrenial all-stars end up in the Hall of Fame. It didn't quite turn out that way - though Robin did have a nice solid career.

I was very disappointed when he left the Sox. That, to me, marked the turning point in the Sox franchise where they went from a prominant team that signed free agents to a "small market" team that gave up good players to free agency. I always hoped that Robin would end up back in a Sox uniform as a player again some day. Now, that will never happen.

At times, it seems like it was just yesterday that the Sox had that great early 90s team, outdrew the Cubs, had a popular (initially) new park, and were one of the top franchises in baseball. Those days are long gone. The dream is dead - buried in a decade of decline, fan alienation by the Sox owners, Sammy/Cubs/Wrigley hyperbole, and a league with very little competitive balance. Robin's retirement announcement brings back those initial fond memories followed by the bitter disappointments of being a Sox fan over the last decade and a half.

Brian26
10-13-2004, 10:56 AM
I was saddened to hear about Robin's retirement. I'll never forget watching is July '91 slam on TV and watching Big Frank hoisting him up triumphantly on his shoulder.

I'm almost positive that was the first night Hawk ever referred to Frank as "Big Hurt". I can still remember the old Sportschannel replay at the end, as they paused on Frank holding Robin over his shoulder and Hawk said "Do It, Big Hurt!". Then they switched back to the studio for Jim Blaney with a huge ****-eating grin on his face.