PDA

View Full Version : class wins

Brian26
10-10-2004, 11:34 PM
re: Dodgers and Cards

Never seen the losing team in baseball come out and congratulate the winners on the field. I'm 32 years old and have been watching baseball since I could remember and that's the first time I've ever seen that. Pretty classy.

Dub25
10-10-2004, 11:36 PM
Never seen the losing team in baseball come out and congratulate the winners on the field. I'm 32 years old and have been watching baseball since I could remember and that's the first time I've ever seen that. Pretty classy.
I was going to post the same thing. I've never seen this before. What a classy move on national TV. The Cardinals are my second favorite team and I was saying last night how I don't mind the Dodgers. The Dodgers are now my 3rd favorite team. That was great to see. Not forced like in the NHL.

flo-B-flo
10-10-2004, 11:39 PM
I saw something I never saw before tonight. After the Cardinals eliminated the Dodgers, the entire Dodger team lead by the manager came on the field and shook hands with the Cardinal players. While not dulling my cynicism about professional sports. This gesture reminded me of what this is ultimately all about. Win or lose act professionally and remember you are being watched by the next generation.

SomebodyToldMe
10-10-2004, 11:40 PM
Yeah. That was a sight to see.

SomebodyToldMe
10-10-2004, 11:41 PM
That was a touching moment. It was actually quite badass.

Classy stuff by them L.A. folks.

Dub25
10-10-2004, 11:49 PM
Like I said in the other post, nice move by the Dodgers. This is coming from a team that has Milton Bradley on the roster.

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-10-2004, 11:54 PM
the dodgers are awsome. plain and simple. hey, they tried hard but didnt make it. good job dodgers. :thumbsup:

StillMissOzzie
10-10-2004, 11:54 PM
I thought tht they only did this in Little League, where fair play and sportsmanship are important. I was very impressed by this gesture by the Dodgers. I'm sure we'll see a similar gesture by the losers of the Red Sox / Yankees ALCS.

SMO
:gulp:

Rocklive99
10-11-2004, 12:34 AM
They interviewed LaRussa on ESPNEWS, it was Larry Walker's idea, they planned it ahead. Larry is a big NHL fan, so that's where he got it from

Brian26
10-11-2004, 12:46 AM
They interviewed LaRussa on ESPNEWS, it was Larry Walker's idea, they planned it ahead. Larry is a big NHL fan, so that's where he got it fromWait- So the Cardinals suggested to the Dodgers that if the Cards kicked the Dodgers ass tonight, the Dodgers would then come out and congratulate them?

Or both teams mutually agreed whoever won the series would be congratulated by the loser?

Either way, knowing it was predetermined takes a little bit of the magic away from it.

Dub25
10-11-2004, 12:52 AM
Wait- So the Cardinals suggested to the Dodgers that if the Cards kicked the Dodgers ass tonight, the Dodgers would then come out and congratulate them?

Or both teams mutually agreed whoever won the series would be congratulated by the loser?

Either way, knowing it was predetermined takes a little bit of the magic away from it.
Exactly.

SOXROX02
10-11-2004, 01:11 AM
God, I wish people would be able to stop faking human decency.

Rocklive99
10-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Wait- So the Cardinals suggested to the Dodgers that if the Cards kicked the Dodgers ass tonight, the Dodgers would then come out and congratulate them?

Before the series started, and LaRussa said he would have especially suggested it if they were paired with LA, since he has respect for them and Jim Tracy. Yeah, I guess it does take the magic away, reminds me of little league. I wonder if any of the Dodgers spit on their batting gloves

SSN721
10-11-2004, 03:46 PM
Pre planned or not, I stil thought it was a nice move on both teams parts. When I was watching, if it was not genuine a lot of the players did a good job of faking it. Sure looked like it was a good way for the Dodgers to release a little steam from the loss and it seemed like a genuine gesture even though it was planned ahead of time. And even though it is staged one of the things I love about hockey is shaking hands after the game. God forbid anyone show a little sportsmanship, it is nice to see in other sports, staged or not. Still is a good impression on young kids watchign the game.