PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox vs. Yankee$: Who are you rooting for?

dpbyron
10-10-2004, 06:28 PM
I hate the Yankee$ almost as much as I hate the Cubs and Twins. I inherited my disdain for the Yankees from my Grandfather. Most Sox fans who were around in the 50's and 60's DESPISE the Yankees.

GO RED SOX! :bandance:

http://home.comcast.net/~fakeplastic18/YankeeSuck.JPG

santo=dorf
10-10-2004, 06:48 PM
Let's Go Yankees!!!

http://www.rowanlea.com/novelties/x-wipes/sports-wipes/rsux-200.jpg

nodiggity59
10-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Red Sox = AL Cubs = My mortal enemies.

"The friend of my enemy is my enemy"

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-10-2004, 07:46 PM
I'm cheering for the Yankees just because the media is always forcefeeding us B.S. that the red sox have the best and smartest fans in america. Yeah, that's why the fenway faithful were doing the wave during a tight White Sox-Red Sox game. :rolleyes: When I've talked to Red Sox fans in the past, they've been pretty arrogant. One told me the Red Sox are the "Sox" because no one cares about the White Sox because they suck. :angry: Fenway Park is Wrigley Field East as far as I know, except it actually has a unique look because of the green monster, while wrigley only has the stupid ivy and ryan sandberg baskets.

RichFitztightly
10-10-2004, 08:33 PM
I can't wait for the Red Sox to win the Series. I'm sick of this "cursed" team that gets all the attention in the media. Once they win, it'll be done. I hope the Red Sox win sooner rather than later.

beckett21
10-10-2004, 08:56 PM
*Y-A-W-N*

:whocares

I hope they both lose.

dcb33
10-10-2004, 09:06 PM
I can't wait for the Red Sox to win the Series. I'm sick of this "cursed" team that gets all the attention in the media. Once they win, it'll be done. I hope the Red Sox win sooner rather than later.And what leads you to believe that the media would shut up about the RED Sox if they actually won? They're gonna talk about that team until they're blue in the face either way. If you think BoSox fans are annoying jagbags now, could you imagine what they would be like if their team actually won? That's why I'd like to see them lose, so they can remain miserable over rooting for losers.

GO YANKEES! Beat the RED Sox!

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-10-2004, 09:14 PM
And what leads you to believe that the media would shut up about the RED Sox if they actually won? They're gonna talk about that team until they're blue in the face either way. If you think BoSox fans are annoying jagbags now, could you imagine what they would be like if their team actually won? That's why I'd like to see them lose, so they can remain miserable over rooting for losers.

Exactly. When Red Sox fans talk, it sounds like they're fans of the team that has won 26 world series titles. I could only imagine how bad it would be if they actually won a world series.

Edit: I also agree with beckett21, I want NEITHER of these teams winning anything, but I'd rather see the Yankees advance to the WS and lose since I hate the Red Sox.

minastirith67
10-10-2004, 10:32 PM
*Y-A-W-N*

:whocares

I hope they both lose.

Agreed. :dunno:

ChiSoxRowand
10-11-2004, 12:27 AM
Go Red Sox. Screw the Yankees, especially Jeter. I don't like the Red Sox, but I don't hate them. I hate all of the curse talk and stupid media attention the Red Sox get, but Red Sox fans are not the same as Cub fans, I have been to Boston. Plus, I like the players on Boston, especially Pedro and Manny. And wouldn't you all like to see Nomar look bad? The Boston media will stick it to him if the Red Sox even beat the Yankees.

SaltyPretzel
10-11-2004, 12:47 AM

I have to agree with you. After those MasterCard commercials and other BS, I hope the Red Sox get smoked.

Whitesox029
10-11-2004, 12:52 AM
I refuse to root for the Red Sox because their fans were completely obnoxious at the Cell this year. They were all over. In addition to that, I feel that rooting for them would be like how every other mindless idiot in this country rooted for the cubs last year--because they are the sweet and cuddly losers whose fans are always being beat up by those "nasty other fans from across town." I'm sick of rooting for underdogs. It's stupid. I will root for the Yankee$ to pound the Red $ox into oblivion and then get trounced in 4 by St. Louis.

SOXSINCE'70
10-11-2004, 07:16 AM
I'd like to see the Red Sawx go to the WS and win it all.

Maybe then,their sCrUB like fanbase will SHUT UP!!!:D: :D:

ondafarm
10-11-2004, 07:37 AM
I really don't like either franchise, but my hatred of the Yankees exceeds that of all other teams, including the Yomiri Giants.

Erik The Red
10-11-2004, 09:08 AM
I'm cheering for the Yankees just because the media is always forcefeeding us B.S. that the red sox have the best and smartest fans in america. Yeah, that's why the fenway faithful were doing the wave during a tight White Sox-Red Sox game. :rolleyes: When I've talked to Red Sox fans in the past, they've been pretty arrogant. One told me the Red Sox are the "Sox" because no one cares about the White Sox because they suck. :angry: Fenway Park is Wrigley Field East as far as I know, except it actually has a unique look because of the green monster, while wrigley only has the stupid ivy and ryan sandberg baskets.
Who's Ryan Sandberg? Is he related to Jose Valentine?

soxnut
10-11-2004, 09:30 AM
And what leads you to believe that the media would shut up about the RED Sox if they actually won? They're gonna talk about that team until they're blue in the face either way. If you think BoSox fans are annoying jagbags now, could you imagine what they would be like if their team actually won? That's why I'd like to see them lose, so they can remain miserable over rooting for losers.

It's the romance of losing in crucial moments that will be over and that the media can't fawn over. There will be no more fantasizing of a Cubs-Red Sox World Series. The Red Sox aren't losers, they're team is in the post-season pretty often, much more than the two teams we have in this town, so I can't say the Red Sox fans root for losers. I think that's an extreme comment.

I'm rooting for the Red Sox!:smile:

TornLabrum
10-11-2004, 09:36 AM
It's the romance of losing in crucial moments that will be over and that the media can't fawn over. There will be no more fantasizing of a Cubs-Red Sox World Series. The Red Sox aren't losers, they're team is in the post-season pretty often, much more than the two teams we have in this town, so I can't say the Red Sox fans root for losers. I think that's an extreme comment.

I'm rooting for the Red Sox!:smile:
Ultimately, when you get down to the last out of the last game, the Red Sox are losers.

gosox41
10-11-2004, 09:47 AM

I was just going to post something like this until you did. I won't forget the obnoxious Red Sox fans at the Cell in August wearing their '2004 World Series Championship Tour' shirts like they already won the damn thing.

Bob

soxnut
10-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Ultimately, when you get down to the last out of the last game, the Red Sox are losers.
I disagree. Would you rather be in the Red Sox position or the White Sox position? I'll take at least getting to the post-season with a shot, than what we have to put up with.

JGarlandrules20
10-11-2004, 10:45 AM
Yeah, that's why the fenway faithful were doing the wave during a tight White Sox-Red Sox game.This is kind of offtopic but, I went to a game September 18th..I think it was. When Aaron and Borchard hit the 2 run hrs to tie it or whatever..and.. um.. The fans during that game were doing the wave for quite sometime when it was tied.

But, anyway. I'm rooting for the Red sox. I just hate the Yankees too much. And Johnny Damon is cool.

SoxFan76
10-11-2004, 10:54 AM
I can't root for a team who is known for losing. The Baby Bears or the Red Sox, it doesn't matter. I mean for crying out loud, atleast the Yankees win. Everybody hates the Yankees so much because they WIN!!! People love the Red Sox because they LOSE!!! Therefore, I am rooting for the Yankees.

SSN721
10-11-2004, 10:54 AM
I beleive as was posted earlier the Red Sox are basically the Cubs of the American League, I cant stand them or most of their fans. Go Yankees. Probably the only time I would root for the Yanks, but over the years I have also gained a lot of respect for Jeter. The guy is flat out a winner, I dont know how anyone can deny it. I love to watch how hard he plays and wish we had more players like him. Especially on the White Sox.

Clembasbal
10-11-2004, 10:59 AM
If the Red Sox win, then the Cubs will get 100% of the National Media Attention. I wouldn't be able to take that, 50% of it is way too much now.

As much as I hate the Yankees, I would rather see them in the Series than the Red Sux. And Go National League!

SOXSINCE'70
10-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Who's Ryan Sandberg? Is he related to Jose Valentine?

Do either of them know Craig Maddox or Brandon Rusch??:D: :D: :D:

soxnut
10-11-2004, 11:15 AM
I can't root for a team who is known for losing. The Baby Bears or the Red Sox, it doesn't matter. I mean for crying out loud, atleast the Yankees win. Everybody hates the Yankees so much because they WIN!!! People love the Red Sox because they LOSE!!! Therefore, I am rooting for the Yankees.
I look at rooting for the Yankees as the easy way out. It's so easy to root for a winner, it's ridiculous. It's like being a band-wagoner or a sell-out. I will never root for the Yankees.

And I don't like the Red sox because they lose, for one, they don't lose. They are competitve every year, and that's all you can ask for in sports. Only one team actually "wins" at the end, out of 30 TEAMS, so I guess basically everybody is a loser then.

Flight #24
10-11-2004, 11:36 AM

To make matters worse, as soon as the Red Sox win, there'll be a clamoring for Boston as "the greatest sports town in America". The Pats are already "one of the NFL's great dynasties" because they won 2 Super Bowls (forget all those teams that won 3, 4, etc!).

I'm rooting for a Red Sox choke. If the Yankees win or lose, their fans will be insufferable, that ain't changing. but to have Red Sox fans ALSO be insufferable, that's almost as bad as Cub fans.

pinwheels3530
10-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Go Cardinals!!

shagar69
10-11-2004, 01:46 PM
screw the carmines. their fans are just like cub fans, whiny bitches. go yanks

32nd&Wallace
10-11-2004, 02:27 PM
The Good News is - one of these teams will NOT be going to the world series.

The Bad News is - one of these teams WILL

marlins03
10-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Red Sox

Erik The Red
10-11-2004, 03:27 PM
I don't care who wins. I just hope they go 7 games, and that the Cards sweep, so they're good and rested to win the W.S.

dcb33
10-11-2004, 04:38 PM
To make matters worse, as soon as the Red Sox win, there'll be a clamoring for Boston as "the greatest sports town in America". The Pats are already "one of the NFL's great dynasties" because they won 2 Super Bowls (forget all those teams that won 3, 4, etc!).

I'm rooting for a Red Sox choke. If the Yankees win or lose, their fans will be insufferable, that ain't changing. but to have Red Sox fans ALSO be insufferable, that's almost as bad as Cub fans.
The thing I think people who are rooting for the RED Sox need to realize is that the media is never going to shut up about the RED Sox. Win or lose, we're gonna have that team rammed down our throats whether we like it or not, and frankly, I'd rather see their fans be completely miserable and frustrated with their team as we are with ours. The LAST thing I want to happen is for the RED Sox and Cubs to win because then we will be the only "long suffering" franchise left, and our Sox aren't quite so "loveable" or noteworthy... I guess you could say misery loves company.
To add insult to injury, most of the Cubs fans I know also root for the RED Sox, and a RED Sox World Series Championship means they will give me more stupid crap.

Flight #24
10-11-2004, 04:44 PM
The thing I think people who are rooting for the RED Sox need to realize is that the media is never going to shut up about the RED Sox. Win or lose, we're gonna have that team rammed down our throats whether we like it or not, and frankly, I'd rather see their fans be completely miserable and frustrated with their team as we are with ours. The LAST thing I want to happen is for the RED Sox and Cubs to win because then we will be the only "long suffering" franchise left, and our Sox aren't quite so "loveable" or noteworthy... I guess you could say misery loves company.
To add insult to injury, most of the Cubs fans I know also root for the RED Sox, and a RED Sox World Series Championship means they will give me more stupid crap.
While the Red Sox and Cubs championship "dreams" and continued failures are considered "cute", you know if it was the White Sox, we'd be treated more like the Clippers. As in "The White Sox, longest team without a title in baseball, armpit of baseball, finished above .500 (again)" whereas now it's "The Cubs, beloved of all NL teams, playing in a shrine of a stadium, finished above .500 for 2 years in a row, showing that they're deserving of adulation and support".

Makes me want to puke.

ode to veeck
10-11-2004, 04:57 PM
who cares, I'll be watching Nascar or football instead, or be out on the tennis court

I know he did it for that all-star game, but is there anyway commisioner bud can have em both lose?

soxnut
10-11-2004, 04:58 PM
screw the carmines. their fans are just like cub fans, whiny bitches. go yanks

Unfortunately, White Sox fans are whiny bitches.

A. Cavatica
10-11-2004, 05:00 PM
Red Sox, of course. First, five reasons to hate the Yankees:

1. The Yankees have the highest payroll in history. C'mon, how can anyone root for a team that can buy A-Rod and move him from short when their third baseman goes down?

2. NYC media bias exceeds even Boston media bias.

3. I'm sick of seeing Sox players passed over for Yankees at the All-Star Game.

4. Yankees have denied us more chances at the World Series than the Red Sox have.

5. Steinbrenner.

Now, five to root for Boston:

1. Red Sox have been without a Series win as long as we have, and have suffered even more from Yankee dominance than we have. If they could actually win one, the race for "most pathetic" would come down to just us and the Cubs -- as it should be.

2. When the Red Sox finally win, the arms race in the East could wind down, giving us more of a chance to compete.

3. Current Red Sox ownership is the class of baseball. They spent the money to compete with the Yankees, but they were smarter about spending it. They put together an immensely talented team, with great chemistry. They found creative ways to expand Fenway Park and improved all aspects of going to the games.

4. Red Sox fans are loyal, knowledgeable students of the game (unlike fans of the Cubs, say, or the Marlins, D-Backs, & Angels.) Boston fans can be obnoxious, but they're no more so than Yankee fans.

5. Keith Foulke.

soxnut
10-11-2004, 05:00 PM
While the Red Sox and Cubs championship "dreams" and continued failures are considered "cute", you know if it was the White Sox, we'd be treated more like the Clippers. As in "The White Sox, longest team without a title in baseball, armpit of baseball, finished above .500 (again)"
Makes me want to puke.

We're already looked at that way anyway---so what's the difference?

GO RED SOX!!!!!!!!!!:bandance:

soxnut
10-11-2004, 05:08 PM

1. The Yankees have the highest payroll in history. C'mon, how can anyone root for a team that can buy A-Rod and move him from short when their third baseman goes down?

4. Yankees have denied us more chances at the World Series than the Red Sox have.

5. Steinbrenner.

1. Red Sox have been without a Series win as long as we have, and have suffered even more from Yankee dominance than we have. If they could actually win one, the race for "most pathetic" would come down to just us and the Cubs -- as it should be.

2. When the Red Sox finally win, the arms race in the East could wind down, giving us more of a chance to compete.

3. Current Red Sox ownership is the class of baseball. They spent the money to compete with the Yankees, but they were smarter about spending it. They put together an immensely talented team, with great chemistry. They found creative ways to expand Fenway Park and improved all aspects of going to the games.

4. Red Sox fans are loyal, knowledgeable students of the game (unlike fans of the Cubs, say, or the Marlins, D-Backs, & Angels.) Boston fans can be obnoxious, but they're no more so than Yankee fans.

5. Keith Foulke.

Yep!:)

Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for your own demise---what a bunch of idiots.

StillMissOzzie
10-11-2004, 05:52 PM

3. Current Red Sox ownership is the class of baseball. They spent the money to compete with the Yankees, but they were smarter about spending it.
You had me up until #3. You conveniently forget that the Red Sox were in the A-Rod sweepstakes for a long time, before they lost out to the Yanks. Only THEN did they come out and say that baseball needed a salary cap.

I'll NEVER root for the Yankees though. No way. No how.

SMO
:gulp:

dcb33
10-11-2004, 06:16 PM

Red Sox fans have suffered more because of the Yankees than White Sox fans? That's a crock and you know it- the only times the Yankees have really been completely dominant in the era of divisional play has been from the mid 90's until now and in the late 1970's. Between 1969 1996 the Yankees only won consecutive division crowns once, between 1976-1978. The BoSox had plenty of opportunities to win it all and stick it to the Yankees but they have consistently failed.
If any team has suffered because of Yankees dominance it was the Chicago White Sox of the 1950's and early 60's.
I wasn't alive to see any of that occur, but it would be much more frustrating to me as a fan to watch my team win 98 games like the Sox did in 1964 and miss the postseason, than it would be to win 93-95 or so games, not even win the division, and still get a chance to compete in the playoffs.

Foulke You
10-11-2004, 06:16 PM
It is absolutely shocking to me that the poll currently stands at 24 registered WSI users voting FOR the Yankees (vs 48 for the Red Sox) and they aren't playing the Twins or the Cubs?!! ARE YOU GUYS NUTS??! This is the HATED New York Yankees. "Mystique", arrogance, annoying, $185 million, "The World Series is our birthright", Billy Crystal spanking his monkey, etc. etc. Not to mention the heated rivalry with the White Sox over the years (especially in the 50s and 60s).

I can understand people getting annoyed with the media coverage surrounding the Red Sox "curse" but I can say from my experiences at Fenway Park that Red Sox Nation is most certainly NOT Cubs East Coast as some of you call it. They are knowledgable about their team (unlike a lot of Cubs fans), they care about winning and actually intently watch the games (also unlike a lot of Cubs fans). Keep in mind, the MEDIA celebrates the losing tradition and the curse but not the fans, in my experience. Plus, the grumpyness of Red Sox fans reminds me a lot of White Sox fans. It would be entertaining to see what exactly their fanbase would do if they finally win it all.

Red Sox in 6 games. Book it.

StepsInSC
10-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Screw 'em both, go whoever-wins-the-NLCS.

santo=dorf
10-11-2004, 06:27 PM

5. Steinbrenner.

5. Keith Foulke.1a. The Blowsox are also over the cap limit, and THEY complain about the Yankees.
2a. Who cares about their media?
3a. Red Sox fans do it too. How long did Nomar lead all AL shortstops in votes for the all-star game before he even played a SINGLE game? Damon, Millar, Mueller, and Bellhorn were also getting a ton of votes before the all-star break, and how is David Ortiz an all-star first baseman, but Paul Konerko isn't?
4a. That means we should root for them like everyone was suggesting with the Twins right?
5a. Henry Williams cried for a salary cap after the Yankees traded for A-Rod. How can Boston compete on small payroll of $135 million?

1b. Why in the world would we want to get notice for competing to see who is the most pathetic? :?:
2b. How do you figure? Steinbrenner may get so furious he buys the entire AL East to beat Boston. What makes you think that Boston wouldn't want to win 20 more to catch up to the Yanks?
3b.DEAD WRONG! See #5a.
4b. I thought the Cards had the best fans.:?: From the behavior I saw from Blowsox fans this past August, I have to say they are the worst visiting fans I have ever seen.
5b. **** Foulke! :angry: If he wasn't so bitchy back in 2002, and didn't speak up against Manuel or KW, maybe he could've helped us out in 2003. He would've sold out to Boston even if we kept him for 2003.

LET'S GO YANKEES!!!

dcb33
10-11-2004, 06:35 PM
Hating the Yankees because of Steinbrenner is so silly. Say what you will about him, but you cannot deny he is dedicated toward putting a winning product on the field, and will accept nothing less than professionalism and excellence from his players. I'm sure if it was announced tomorrow morning that Steinbrenner was purchasing the Sox from JR and his lousy ownership group, everyone here would be dancing in the streets.

shagar69
10-11-2004, 06:39 PM
how can you hate the yanks? they are what every team in professional sports wants to be: ownership that spends money instead of worrying about profit, an organization based on integrity and respect for the game, great knowledgeable fans. so what if they spend 200 mil? its not their fault that MLB is too stupid to implement a salary cap. would you be complaining if JR spent a 100 mil? the only reason to not like the yanks is jealousy.

Foulke You
10-11-2004, 07:03 PM
how can you hate the yanks? they are what every team in professional sports wants to be: ownership that spends money instead of worrying about profit, an organization based on integrity and respect for the game, great knowledgeable fans. so what if they spend 200 mil? its not their fault that MLB is too stupid to implement a salary cap. would you be complaining if JR spent a 100 mil? the only reason to not like the yanks is jealousy.
If you think the Yankees spend all that money without worrying about profit you are very mistaken. The Yankees spend because they CAN. They own their own TV network (YES Network) which allows them to charge whatever they want for advertising and keep all the profits when you figure that they are drawing from a population pool of 20,000,000 strong, that is a TON of TV profit advantage that other teams don't have and never will. Trust me, there is ZERO red ink in the Yankees front office. They are spending $180 million because they have tons more coming in. I agree that MLB not changing anything is not the fault of the Yanks but it is no less annoying.

In my experience with Yankees fans, they tend to be quite snobby. I suppose 26 championships and about a million AL pennants will do that to a fanbase. However, it is still annoying and yet another thing to hate.

It is actually quite easy to hate the Yanks overall, shaghar69. They are the top dog. The big bully on the block. Why wouldn't you want to see the bully get what's coming to him for a change? Not that I'm championing the 120 Million dollar Red Sox as "underdogs" but compared to the Yankee juggernaut, they are.

Realist
10-11-2004, 07:10 PM
Once the Sox are eliminated and the the Cubs no longer have an opponent I can root for, I pretty much don't really give a flying rat's ass who wins the World Series. This is where I start rooting for individual players and whoever they may play for.

When it comes down to the Yankees/Red Sox series, I gotta pull for Elo. The guy had one of the best seasons in White Sox history in 2003 and a World Series ring would be a great reward for the great season he gave us.

Then again, I'm sure this attitude would change a bit if the Yankees were to face the Cardinals or the Astros in the WS. :wink:

santo=dorf
10-11-2004, 07:20 PM
When it comes down to the Yankees/Red Sox series, I gotta pull for Elo. The guy had one of the best seasons in White Sox history in 2003 and a World Series ring would be a great reward for the great season he gave us. Ditto. Don't forget the season that :tgordon: gave us last year too. I want to see him get a ring with Loaiza.

OEO Magglio
10-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Why isn't death an option?? I really hate both teams and I hate this series more then any other series in baseball excluding cubs vs. bosox or cubs vs. yanks if it ever happens, I hate the media attention this series gets, just very annoying, imo.

RKMeibalane
10-11-2004, 07:40 PM
Boston Red Sox

TornLabrum
10-11-2004, 10:37 PM
I voted for the Yankees because I root against ANY team that claims to be cursed.

ChiSoxRowand
10-12-2004, 01:41 AM

5. Steinbrenner.

5. Keith Foulke.You make a good point of Sox players getting passed over for yanks at the all-star game. Don't forget how the Yankees don't let their players have facial hair too. There are two instances where I will root for the Yankees. When they play the Cubs or they play a team the Sox are competing with in the AL central or wild card.

SSN721
10-12-2004, 10:15 AM
Don't forget how the Yankees don't let their players have facial hair too.

Is this a bad thing? I have no problem with a ballclub that has a sense of professionalism and decorum. I think it is only befittting a franchise of their stature. If it is a source of hatred towards them so be it. I think it is a good thing myself. The club just carries a sense of confidence and purpose and knowledge that they should win every game. It was posted earlier and I agree, the Yankees are pretty much the way anybody would want their own franchise run. The Red Sox are like the Yankees lite, just as much reason to hate them for the same reason you hate the Yankees. And their irritating fanbase and notion of a curse is still more then enough to hope for their loss.

kittle42
10-12-2004, 11:15 AM
I'm rooting for the National League.

Baby Fisk
10-12-2004, 11:18 AM
I'm rooting for the National League.Yep yep! Cards in 7! :cool:

dpbyron
10-12-2004, 11:47 AM
I am stunned that this many White Sox fans are rooting for the Yankee$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$!

:chunks

They are evil. :angry: :angry: :angry:

shagar69
10-12-2004, 11:59 AM
I am stunned that this many White Sox fans are rooting for the Yankee$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$!

:chunks

They are evil. :angry: :angry: :angry:
why? because thats what we wished we were? people are morons if they dont admire the yanks. they spend money, they care about winning, they have great fans, they respect the game, and are the highest standard organization if pro sports. yeah, i know theyre so damn evil! how could steinbrenner and the entire organization want to win the WS every year!!?? whats wrong with them!!? dont they know that being mediocre like us and not caring about the fans is what a pro sports team is all about?

Iwritecode
10-12-2004, 01:56 PM
How soon these Yankee-haters forget what it was like to be a Bulls fan in the 90's.

I loved knowing the Bulls would bring home a ring every time they made it into the finals. It was great rooting for the #1 team all the time. I wish I could say the same thing about my baseball team.

At least Yankee fans can...

dpbyron
10-12-2004, 02:12 PM
people are morons if they dont admire the yanks.Notice how there are no personal insults in my post?

How soon these Yankee-haters forget what it was like to be a Bulls fan in the 90's.

I loved knowing the Bulls would bring home a ring every time they made it into the finals. It was great rooting for the #1 team all the time. I wish I could say the same thing about my baseball team.

At least Yankee fans can....One HUGE fundamental difference between the Bulls of the 90's and the Yankee$$ is that the Bulls didn't BUY there way to the top. The Yankees have tried to BUY the best team in baseball!

QueerGirrl
10-12-2004, 02:19 PM

At least Yankee fans can...
I couldn't agree more. I so wish our Sox had this kind of success; bought or not. As long as MLB let's it happen, why can't we?!?! :(:

shagar69
10-12-2004, 02:21 PM
The Yankees have tried to BUY the best team in baseball!
so whats your point? why cant other teams do the same? and ive said this many times before, its not the yanks fault that the MLB is too stupid to implement a salary cap. they are perfectly playing within the rules and if ANY fan of ANY team doesnt wish their team would be like the yankees is lying to themselves

nitetrain8601
10-12-2004, 06:15 PM
I'm rooting for the BoSox. Then the Cubs(if the Sox are out of it before them) next year. So we'll be the lovable losers, get all the attention and have no reason not to spend.

OEO Magglio
10-12-2004, 06:55 PM
I'm rooting for the BoSox. Then the Cubs(if the Sox are out of it before them) next year. So we'll be the lovable losers, get all the attention and have no reason not to spend.
:?: Why would you want to be lovable losers??

Jjav829
10-12-2004, 07:00 PM
I'd kinda like to see the Red Sox win if for no other reason than seeing Schilling get another ring. I really like Curt, and I'd like to see him win another championship.

dpbyron
10-12-2004, 07:01 PM
so whats your point? why cant other teams do the same? and ive said this many times before, its not the yanks fault that the MLB is too stupid to implement a salary cap. they are perfectly playing within the rules and if ANY fan of ANY team doesnt wish their team would be like the yankees is lying to themselvesLet me ask you a question. Which one of these two people would you respect and admire more (Remember you called anyone who doesn't admire the Yankee$ a moron).

A person who grew up in a wealthy household, had every advantage/privilege a person could ask for, started out as an investment banker and is now the President of a bank....
OR
A person who worked his butt off holding down two jobs, paid for college with student loans, worked his way from bank teller to his current position as President of the Bank...

I know this is a very generic analogy, but it gets my point across. While realizing the the first person still had to work hard to get where he is, he nontheless had every advantage and basically his opportunities were BOUGHT for him(i.e. 180 million dollar payroll and God knows how much else of an advantage the Yankee$ have) On the other hand, the other guy had to work 5 times as hard to get where he is and overcome numerous obstacles that frankly the first person wouldn't have to deal with. (For example, "Oh we lost our third basemen for the year? Well, lets just trade for THE HIGHEST PLAYED player in the game to replace him!" Do you think the Pittsburgh Pirates could do that if they lost their third baseman? Of course not! They would be stuck with some AA player.) There are a plenty more examples I could use!

I understand that they are "just playing within the rules". But baseball has a MAJOR PROBLEM, and I still despise them and everything they stand for!

shagar69
10-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Let me ask you a question. Which one of these two people would you respect and admire more (Remember you called anyone who doesn't admire the Yankee$ a moron).

A person who grew up in a wealthy household, had every advantage/privilege a person could ask for, started out as an investment banker and is now the President of a bank....
OR
A person who worked his butt off holding down two jobs, paid for college with student loans, worked his way from bank teller to his current position as President of the Bank...

I know this is a very generic analogy, but it gets my point across. While realizing the the first person still had to work hard to get where he is, he nontheless had every advantage and basically his opportunities were BOUGHT for him(i.e. 180 million dollar payroll and God knows how much else of an advantage the Yankee$ have) On the other hand, the other guy had to work 5 times as hard to get where he is and overcome numerous obstacles that frankly the first person wouldn't have to deal with. (For example, "Oh we lost our third basemen for the year? Well, lets just trade for THE HIGHEST PLAYED player in the game to replace him!" Do you think the Pittsburgh Pirates could do that if they lost their third baseman? Of course not! They would be stuck with some AA player.) There are a plenty more examples I could use!

I understand that they are "just playing within the rules". But baseball has a MAJOR PROBLEM, and I still despise them and everything they stand for!
you cant make that analogy because thats life and we are just talking about a professional sport, a game. the point of the game is to win, and that is what the yanks do. whats wrong with that? and you say that you hate everything the stand for. so does that mean you hate winning, integrity, respecting the game?

dcb33
10-12-2004, 07:59 PM
you cant make that analogy because thats life and we are just talking about a professional sport, a game. the point of the game is to win, and that is what the yanks do. whats wrong with that? and you say that you hate everything the stand for. so does that mean you hate winning, integrity, respecting the game?I think we should put an asterisk next to every Yankees World Series Championship becuase it's obvious they are the only ones capable of spending money.

Say what you will about the Yankees having the largest market and how much money they can generate in revenues becuase of it, but let's not forget that we live in CHICAGO. If any city can come close to bringing in the kind of following and money that they do in New York, it should be us, which leads me to believe that perhaps all of the jealous Yankees haters should direct their criticism to a more deserving target, and that is our own incompetent ownership/management.

dpbyron
10-12-2004, 08:06 PM
you cant make that analogy because thats life and we are just talking about a professional sport, a game. the point of the game is to win, and that is what the yanks do. whats wrong with that? and you say that you hate everything the stand for. so does that mean you hate winning, integrity, respecting the game?
Nope... I hate the fact they can attempt to BUY every World Series.

I think that my analogy was perfect. Spoiled brats who have every advantage and the Yankees are synonymous.

StepsInSC
10-12-2004, 08:30 PM

I think that my analogy was perfect. Spoiled brats who have every advantage and the Yankees are synonymous.
The Yankees have yet to buy a WS ring. Last I checked they hadn't won one since the last CBA was enacted and this year's isn't over yet.

dpbyron
10-12-2004, 09:28 PM
The Yankees have yet to buy a WS ring. Last I checked they hadn't won one since the last CBA was enacted and this year's isn't over yet.
I know that is why I put ATTEMPTED to buy a WS. :smile:

StepsInSC
10-12-2004, 09:31 PM
I know that is why I put ATTEMPTED to buy a WS. :smile:
Ah, oversight on my side indeed.

santo=dorf
10-12-2004, 09:56 PM
I'm rooting for the BoSox. Then the Cubs(if the Sox are out of it before them) next year. So we'll be the lovable losers, get all the attention and have no reason not to spend.OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!:angry:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2065
Were you rooting for the Cubbies last year? I can't believe a registered poster here you actually post that he/she would root for the Cubs to Win a World Series (except for UICJason.) How ridiculous!

nitetrain8601
10-12-2004, 10:11 PM
Well, I'm UICJuan. No really, that's where I go to school. I phrased that wrong. I wouldn't root for the Cubs, I just wouldn't mind it as much as I thought I would. Like I would still boo them, make fun of their fans and do what WSI has taught me in terms of taking care of Scrubs fans. Didn't you hear the story of how last year me and my friend has the Tomahawk song play on the PA in HS and how we kept putting up signs and got out our Marlins jerseys. Then I made bets with Cubs fans in which they had to wear Marlin gear for a week if the Cubs blew it(and they did). Down with the evil empire.

nitetrain8601
10-12-2004, 10:15 PM
BTW, It's time to COWBOY UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uncle_Patrick
10-13-2004, 08:16 AM
I'm rooting for the Yankees only because Red Sox fans remind me of Cubs fans. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter to me, although in a way I kind of wish that the Red Sox would win the World Series so this curse business would be done with. I'm tired of hearing about these teams and their fans who somehow feel they are entitled to win a World Series and because they don't, its not the fault of the team's playing but some cosmic force working against them.

DirtySouthsider
10-13-2004, 11:54 AM
I am also rooting for the hated Yankees...sticking with the line of thinking that "the curse" is getting to be really annoying.

But what annoys me more is the great media build up of the "rivialry". I know the games are very intense and there is a lot of hatred there...but it's like the rivialry between a hammer and a nail.....the same one gets pounded everytime!

I am a huge Bears fan and everyone builds up the Bears/Packers rivialry......but in recent years it embarrasses me. The Bears haven't even come close to holding up there end of the bargain. But at least in the past the Bears have done there share of winning in the series.....unlike the Red Sox. Whenever it comes down to the Red Sox vs. Yankees.....it's ALWAYS the Yankees.

So now that the Yankees have won game one I hope they go on to sweep just so I don't have to hear about another "classic series" between the two. Plus I don't want to leave anymore excuses there for the Red Sox to cling too.

Uncle_Patrick
10-13-2004, 12:48 PM
But what annoys me more is the great media build up of the "rivialry". I know the games are very intense and there is a lot of hatred there...but it's like the rivialry between a hammer and a nail.....the same one gets pounded everytime!

Where you listening to Mac, Jurko, and Harry yesterday? Mac used that same analogy.

DirtySouthsider
10-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Where you listening to Mac, Jurko, and Harry yesterday? Mac used that same analogy.
No , honestly I wasn't listening.....although I am a fan of the show.

Iwritecode
10-13-2004, 01:43 PM

You do realize that this is exactly what George S. was doing in the 80's right?

You don't think the Yankees have always had an attendance of 3 million+ do you???

Right now he is just reaping the benefits of his hard work. Sox fans on the other hand have an owner that wants to do it the cheap and easy way...

Uncle_Patrick
10-13-2004, 03:43 PM

If the Yankees are attempting to BUY a World Series by getting the best players that they can afford, then I have no problem with that. I'm willing to bet that none of you complaining about Steinbrenner and the Yankees' payroll would would have a problem if Reinsdorf went out and spent $150 Million for the best team he could get (I know he's never going to do that, but that's not the point). I'm tired of seeing the Yankees win year after year, too, but let's face it, they have the money to get these players and the players want as much money as they can get. And besides, and this point has been made over and over again, the Yankees were beaten in the last 2 World Series by teams that did not have the payroll they had. If anything, the Yankees should be pissed that they spend this ungodly sum of money can't bring home the championship.

dpbyron
10-13-2004, 06:45 PM
You do realize that this is exactly what George S. was doing in the 80's right?

You don't think the Yankees have always had an attendance of 3 million+ do you???

Right now he is just reaping the benefits of his hard work. Sox fans on the other hand have an owner that wants to do it the cheap and easy way...

The Yankees didn't draw much in the 80's and 90's. They only started to attempt to buy the series in the late 90's.

It is all a matter of opinion. Some (Like me), believe the Yankee$ are a bunch of crap because they attempt to buy the best team each year. Others believe there is nothing wrong with that way of doing business. Almost everyone agrees the system need to be completely overhauled.

Meanwhile, Bud fiddles while Rome burns.:angry:

kojak
10-13-2004, 11:18 PM
I'm pulling for the BoTox, only because I cannot wait to see them lose another Game 7 in the World Series, as they did in 1946, 1967, 1975 and 1986. Maybe this time they will blow it in unprecedented fashion by scotching a 3-0 series lead...

huh?
10-14-2004, 01:35 AM
BoSox. Mainly because I live behind enemy lines, and I've developed a tremendous hate for the evil empire. And also because Jesus Damon is awesome.
yes, I'm aware they're down 2-0. no, I don't care.

JoseCanseco6969
10-14-2004, 11:31 AM
GO YANKEES, until the series, BEAT THOSE RED CUBS!! (I love that line, who was the first to come up with it?)

Iwritecode
10-14-2004, 12:55 PM
The Yankees didn't draw much in the 80's and 90's. They only started to attempt to buy the series in the late 90's.

Exactly. So that banker that worked his butt of to become president of the bank now has the capability (because of his hard work) to go out and hire the best bankers money can buy.

I would do the same thing...

Meanwhile, Bud fiddles while Rome burns.:angry:

Now you're starting to get to the root of it all. You can't really blame George for doing what he's been allowed to do.

dpbyron
10-14-2004, 03:02 PM
Exactly. So that banker that worked his butt of to become president of the bank now has the capability (because of his hard work) to go out and hire the best bankers money can buy.

I would do the same thing....I see your point, but I still disagree...

Now you're starting to get to the root of it all. You can't really blame George for doing what he's been allowed to do.True, but I still have very, very little respect for them because they are in this position every year mostly because they outspend everybody.

Where is the nobility in that?

Iwritecode
10-14-2004, 03:08 PM
I see your point, but I still disagree...

True, but I still have very, very little respect for them because they are in this position every year mostly because they outspend everybody.

Where is the nobility in that?

If the Sox went out and spent $250 million on the way to winning the WS, I wouldn't think twice about how nobel it was...

So call me greedy...

Nick@Nite
10-14-2004, 07:36 PM
I'm rooting for neither... well actually, see post #13. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41010)

dpbyron
10-21-2004, 12:41 AM
OH MY GOD! i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

woodenleg
10-21-2004, 09:44 AM
My mother went to see the Sox play the Yankees in New York in 1960. She had stuff thrown at her and was chased down the street by their thuggish fans. We never visited New York because of that. My mom was in tears last night.

The person upthread who said that historically, Sox fans have hated the Yankees is absolutely correct. You are supposed to celebrate when they lose.