PDA

View Full Version : Sox Planning to Negotiate Possible Radio Deal with the Score

Viva Magglio
10-10-2004, 04:27 PM
According to Jim Kirk in today's Tribune, the White Sox and Bulls "are said to be planning talks with [WMVP-AM (1000)] competitor WSCR-AM (670) and, possibly, other stations."

For those of you Tribune-registered (http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0410100220oct10,1,2365868.column?coll=chi-business-hed)

duke of dorwood
10-10-2004, 08:49 PM
Lets hope they stay with AM 1000, anything but 670

soxtalker
10-10-2004, 08:56 PM
It sounds like JR is in a somewhat difficult situation in that it is most likely that he'll get a signficantly lower contract than last time.

There was some mention of the possibility of an FM station being in the running. How realistic is that?

SEALgep
10-10-2004, 09:02 PM
It sounds like JR is in a somewhat difficult situation in that it is most likely that he'll get a signficantly lower contract than last time.

There was some mention of the possibility of an FM station being in the running. How realistic is that?A deal lower than last time is pretty much a lock. That's just the way it is.

LongLiveFisk
10-10-2004, 09:27 PM
I'll listen to their games no matter what station carries them. It makes no difference to me.

Lip Man 1
10-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Big surprise right! (I mean after the things that ESPN Radio 1000 has done...)

Remember Grobber telling us about what was going on. How they were deliberately trying to get rid of the two teams?

I would feel bad for Dave Wills though since as he explained in his WSI interview he'd probably be out of a job with the Sox gig.

Lip

Brian26
10-10-2004, 10:19 PM
I would feel bad for Dave Wills though since as he explained in his WSI interview he'd probably be out of a job with the Sox gig.

Lip
That would be a travesty, because Willsy has become part of the fabric of the team. Listening to some schmuck like Lawrence Holmes or Brian the Whipping Boy doing the pre and post would just be sick.

DrCrawdad
10-10-2004, 10:37 PM
I wouldn't mind a switch to 670. AM 1000 has a horrible signal out here in Naperville at night.

Whitesox029
10-10-2004, 11:52 PM
I dunno....if we gave Brooks Boyer enough of an earful, I think he'd find a way to get Willsy a job either in the organization or with the new station, or even maybe a TV gig on Comcast. I would love to see him and Melty on TV instead of Chris Boden (where did they come up with this guy?).

SaltyPretzel
10-10-2004, 11:52 PM
Big surprise right! (I mean after the things that ESPN Radio 1000 has done...)

Remember Grobber telling us about what was going on. How they were deliberately trying to get rid of the two teams?

Lip
Dave Wills is a class act. I've met him a few times over at Jimbo's and he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Lip Man 1
10-11-2004, 12:55 AM
As Wills himself said as long as he continues to do college basketball and Notre Dame football pre game work for ESPN Rdio 1000 they are not going to also let him work for WSCR radio.

Lip

hose
10-11-2004, 06:24 AM
Reinsy is going to put the Sox on Serius radio.....pay per listen....thats the ticket.

SOXSINCE'70
10-11-2004, 07:08 AM
Reinsy is going to put the Sox on Serius radio.....pay per listen....thats the ticket.
Shhhhhhh!! Be quiet.He might hear you.:D: :D: :D:

SSN721
10-11-2004, 08:40 AM
I hate the score, it just seems like it is run out of someones garage in comparison to ESPN 1000. I cant stand any of the "talent" on that station, and it would be a crime if Willsy is cut out of the loop by the move. What a shame but there is nothing we can do. I guess if it gets a better signal and reaches more Sox fans that is more important.

duke of dorwood
10-11-2004, 08:45 AM
What about all the things said or neclected by the hacks at 670 over the years? I hope that is considered-that station is about as professional as Shammy:angry:

SEALgep
10-11-2004, 09:00 AM
What about all the things said or neclected by the hacks at 670 over the years? I hope that is considered-that station is about as professional as Shammy:angry:They've gotten better from when this was originally rumored IMO. Besides, they can't be any less professional than Moronotti currently on AM 1000.

poorme
10-11-2004, 09:06 AM
i can't get wmvp 100 miles NW of chicago. wscr comes in loud and clear.

soxnut
10-11-2004, 09:17 AM
Regardless of the "talent" on WSCR, it is still the better choice. The signal is so much better, and reaches alot farther. I'd think you'd want to get your signal out to as many people as possible, therefore generating more new fan interest.

As for the situation with Dave Wills, that would be too bad. But, I would hope that he could be paired with Bill Melton on the pre and post game show on Comcast. I think Dave is a nice guy too. I met him briefly a few weeks ago when my company did a Jeep promotion in the Sox parking lot and he walked by and we talked for a moment. Pretty cool guy.:smile:

Procol Harum
10-11-2004, 09:38 AM
I wouldn't mind a switch to 670. AM 1000 has a horrible signal out here in Naperville at night.
True 'dat! It'd be nice to be able to drive around out here 20 miles due west of the Loop on a summer evening and not have the Sox game be overridden by noise and static, or have to twist the bedside radio around to "catch" the signal on those late games from the Left Coast.

And while they're at it, let me be the first to chirp in for change on the play-by-play team. Rooney is ok, but teamed with Farmer--it's almost unlistenable. And before some moron asks "Whaddya want? Hughes and Santo?" that answer would be "NO."

Iwritecode
10-11-2004, 01:26 PM
Same here. AM 1000's signal sucks at night...

Kogs35
10-11-2004, 02:15 PM
assuming mariotti has a 1 year deal with mvp and they extend him, would uncle jerry be happy if they had a no bashing clause in his contract would jerry stay at mvp? what i mean by a no bashing clause is that mariotti isnt aloud to bash the cell weather he wants to or not and can not allow his personal conflict with reisny to get in the way of his broadcasts. and if mvp looses the bulls and the sox THEY GONE!! the abc people in dallas know it and so does jim pastor. this should be a interesting time watching this unfold.

also 670 would be horrible togoto just because there host are morons and plain idiots

Ol' No. 2
10-11-2004, 02:32 PM
assuming mariotti has a 1 year deal with mvp and they extend him, would uncle jerry be happy if they had a no bashing clause in his contract would jerry stay at mvp? what i mean by a no bashing clause is that mariotti isnt aloud to bash the cell weather he wants to or not and can not allow his personal conflict with reisny to get in the way of his broadcasts. and if mvp looses the bulls and the sox THEY GONE!! the abc people in dallas know it and so does jim pastor. this should be a interesting time watching this unfold.

also 670 would be horrible togoto just because there host are morons and plain idiotsI doubt that Moronotti's "integrity" would allow him to agree to such a clause. But that's OK, he can just walk, and everybody's happy. I'm pretty sure the Sox and Bulls bring in a lot more revenue than Moronotti. If push comes to shove, it's no contest. But it will be interesting to watch this little soap opera play out.

Jerome
10-11-2004, 05:02 PM
That would be a travesty, because Willsy has become part of the fabric of the team. Listening to some schmuck like Lawrence Holmes or Brian the Whipping Boy doing the pre and post would just be sick.

I love Lawrence Holmes, especially as "Me and Z"

soxnut
10-11-2004, 05:14 PM

He sounds like he's still in puberty. The Score's "personalites, for the most part are horrible. But I'd prefer them to be there because of the signal and the ability to(hopefully) reach a new audience.

bahn1225
10-11-2004, 08:52 PM
I have mentioned this before.
WMVP's signal sucks morning, noon and night.

I live in Iowa.
Ever wonder why there are so many stupid scrub fans from Iowa?
Because they can hear every stinkin' game on the radio.

1000am has always had a terrible signal.
You couldn't hear it when it was WCFL (The Voice of Labor),
You couldn't hear it when it was "the LOOP AM"
and you can't hear it now.

I don't think those of you outside the city realize what an important effect radio has on people.
Why do you think the Cardinals have such a huge following throughout the South?
Because everyone down there can pick up KMOX.

The SOX have a piss poor "network" and there flagship signal is a joke.
Do you want to increase the fan base?
Then put them on 670.

ewokpelts
10-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Reinsy is going to put the Sox on Serius radio.....pay per listen....thats the ticket.mlb has the say so in that, not jerry
Gene

ewokpelts
10-11-2004, 09:57 PM
I have mentioned this before.
WMVP's signal sucks morning, noon and night.

I live in Iowa.
Ever wonder why there are so many stupid scrub fans from Iowa?
Because they can hear every stinkin' game on the radio.

1000am has always had a terrible signal.
You couldn't hear it when it was WCFL (The Voice of Labor),
You couldn't hear it when it was "the LOOP AM"
and you can't hear it now.

I don't think those of you outside the city realize what an important effect radio has on people.
Why do you think the Cardinals have such a huge following throughout the South?
Because everyone down there can pick up KMOX.

The SOX have a piss poor "network" and there flagship signal is a joke.
Do you want to increase the fan base?
Then put them on 670.The score can be heard in 38 states. Imagine if baseball fans that font have a local team were able to hear sox games...we might even get a few fans!
Gene

wdelaney72
10-12-2004, 08:03 AM
I know most fans love his loyalty, but I think Wills is a drill-rod. You can show loyalty and passion for your team without being a complete cry-baby about the Cubs.

Dave Wills could be a decent host if he put half of the energy he puts into bashing the Cubs into covering the White Sox.

Dave Wills sucks.

The fact is, 670 has a much stronger signal than 1000. The mvoe to 670 will in fact happen for one and only one reason...

:moron

It's been well documented that JR is livid over 1000 hiring this ass-clown.

Dick Allen
10-12-2004, 08:44 AM
Going to WSCR would be great in another respect - the night games would knock out Murphy's show. What would that loser do with himself?

misty60481
10-12-2004, 09:08 AM
I live in Wilmington about 65 mi. south and the signal is bad down hear in certain parts of town it fades out terrible. I like to fish in evening and I try and listen to game but sometimes you cant hear it. 670 comes in clear all over town ---

Brian26
10-12-2004, 09:19 AM

Ugh. Lawrence Holmes sounds like he's working at a college radio station.

Brian26
10-12-2004, 09:20 AM
He sounds like he's still in puberty. The Score's "personalites, for the most part are horrible. But I'd prefer them to be there because of the signal and the ability to(hopefully) reach a new audience.

The quality of some of the shows is just really, really bad. It's college radio on a 50,000 watt station.

Brian26
10-12-2004, 09:24 AM
Dave Wills could be a decent host if he put half of the energy he puts into bashing the Cubs into covering the White Sox.

Dave Wills sucks.

Ignorant comment and completely, totally wrong. :dtroll:

Viva Magglio
10-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Couldn't Wills quit WMVP and move to the Score with the Sox? As much as he loves doing UIC basketball and ND football pre and post, I am sure he would much rather do White Sox pre and post over that.

Procol Harum
10-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Ugh. Lawrence Holmes sounds like he's working at a college radio station.
That's the truth--a complete sophomoric twit.

Paulwny
10-12-2004, 11:40 AM
Its amazing to me how many people living close to Chi. have reception problems with AM1000. I'm >500 miles away and when the sun goes down AM1000 comes in loud and clear the majority of the time.

Lip Man 1
10-12-2004, 11:42 AM
I can't speak for Dave but remember he has a family and a new house. That costs $$$$$.

That's the bottom line. Financially he may not be able to leave the basketball and football gigs.

Lip

wdelaney72
10-12-2004, 12:05 PM
Nothing ignorant about it. I've heard his BS for years and I don't like it. It is what is. I don't need to bash the Cubs to make me feel better about being a Sox fan. I dislike them, their organization, and their fan base as much as the next guy. I just don't want to hear about AT ALL, even if it's negative.

Oviously, Dave Wills and you do. More power to ya.

Ignorant comment and completely, totally wrong. :dtroll:

Brian26
10-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Its amazing to me how many people living close to Chi. have reception problems with AM1000. I'm >500 miles away and when the sun goes down AM1000 comes in loud and clear the majority of the time.

I guess it's been that way for years. The FCC requires that the AM 1000 transmitter point due east so as not to interfere with a station to the west. AM 1000 can be heard in the evenings in New York State and Toronto, but people in Dekalb can't pick it up. Steve and Garry used to complain about Stern ripping them off by listening to their re-broadcast on the overnights on his way to work in the morning.

Brian26
10-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Nothing ignorant about it. I've heard his BS for years and I don't like it. It is what is. I don't need to bash the Cubs to make me feel better about being a Sox fan.

9 times out of 10, anti-Cub comments by Wills come in retaliation for anti-Sox comments by pro-Cubs callers. Do your homework and listen to the show. Anyone who's listened has heard the two or three drillrod callers that have a running feud going with Willsy.

TornLabrum
10-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Couldn't Wills quit WMVP and move to the Score with the Sox? As much as he loves doing UIC basketball and ND football pre and post, I am sure he would much rather do White Sox pre and post over that.
I imagine he gets paid quite well to do the UIC and ND games. I would even venture to guess that those duties are a substantial portion of his salary. It might be financial necessity that he stay with ESPN-1000 to do those games.

tebman
10-13-2004, 10:20 PM
I guess it's been that way for years. The FCC requires that the AM 1000 transmitter point due east so as not to interfere with a station to the west. AM 1000 can be heard in the evenings in New York State and Toronto, but people in Dekalb can't pick it up. Steve and Garry used to complain about Stern ripping them off by listening to their re-broadcast on the overnights on his way to work in the morning.That's true. WMVP (formerly WCFL) has just as much power as WSCR (formerly WMAQ), but because WMVP shares the frequency with a station in Seattle, it's required to beam its signal to the east at sunset. WMVP's transmitter is in Downers Grove, so if you live west of there the signal can be dicey at night. WSCR is a non-directional station that has the frequency all to itself after sundown, so it can picked up over most of North America on a clear night.

All these radio-allocation arrangements were made over 70 years ago, so they're not going to change. What can change is the Sox' decision regarding which station they choose to carry their games. WSCR makes the most sense if they really want to build the fan base.

- tebman

Rex Hudler
10-13-2004, 10:31 PM
That's true. WMVP (formerly WCFL) has just as much power as WSCR (formerly WMAQ), but because WMVP shares the frequency with a station in Seattle, it's required to beam its signal to the east at sunset. WMVP's transmitter is in Downers Grove, so if you live west of there the signal can be dicey at night. WSCR is a non-directional station that has the frequency all to itself after sundown, so it can picked up over most of North America on a clear night.

All these radio-allocation arrangements were made over 70 years ago, so they're not going to change. What can change is the Sox' decision regarding which station they choose to carry their games. WSCR makes the most sense if they really want to build the fan base.

- tebman
What frequency is WSCR? I know that I can pick up ESPN 1000 some nights down in Birmingham. Hell, maybe every night, I just don't scan the AM radio dial too often.

tebman
10-13-2004, 10:35 PM
What frequency is WSCR? I know that I can pick up ESPN 1000 some nights down in Birmingham. Hell, maybe every night, I just don't scan the AM radio dial too often.WSCR is 670 kHz. Since WMVP ("AM1000") kicks all of its signal to the east at night, that probably explains how you can pick it up in Birmingham (Alabama?), but people living 30 miles west of its transmitter have a hard time hearing it clearly.

- tebman

ChiSoxRowand
10-13-2004, 11:34 PM
I'm in Rockford and I can only pick it up in the car.