PDA

View Full Version : Sox in Sports Illustrated

Lip Man 1
10-09-2004, 08:57 PM
News and Notes in S.I. this week on the Sox (with Oklahoma on the cover...)

Pg. 39 - Who's Hot, Who's Not. In the 'not' category right behind Oakland, Chicago. "North Side, South Side there just no relief. It's not only Da Bears (1-3 with quarterback troubles--yes, again!), it's the Cubbies (oh, the humanity!) and those lackluster Chisox."

I guess S.I. hasn't been impressed with that 83-79 average seasonal record since 1998!

On Pg. 58 under S.I.'s award picks, they have Shingo 2nd in the A.L. rookie of the year ward behind Bobby Crosby.

and finally on Pg. 59 under the MRP Awards. Which stands for Most Ridiculous Performance coming in at #1 under the heading 'World's Smallest Violin Award,'"To White Sox designated hitter Frank Thomas, 36, who, having exercised a one year, $6 million dollar option (down from the 9.9 million he was paid in 2002) said, 'after the year that I had last year, it's a little disappointing come the first and 15th."

and under the 'Silver Tongue Award,' "To White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, who said of Rangers skipper Buck Showalter (S.I.'s American League manager of the year), ' he never even smelled a jock in the big leagues. Mr. baseball never even got a hit in Triple A.'

Sigh....sure would be nice to get some notoriety for something the Sox did ON the field!

Lip

Shingotime!!
10-09-2004, 10:02 PM
Thats hallaious. Good info!

Huisj
10-10-2004, 01:45 AM
The only problem with that is, what have the Sox done recently on the field that deserves any notoriety?
uh, I think that was Lip's point. They haven't. It would be nice if they did.