PDA

View Full Version : A few Questions

soxwon
10-08-2004, 10:46 PM
in your great knowledge of baseball.
Name some Low hitting players that later went on to succesfull Managing careers?

Also name some great sox pitchers who never won 20 games?
lets keep it to after 1960.

has anyone ever meet players from other teams, who were very nice to you?
who were they?

name some catchers who ended up managing?

thanks

santo=dorf
10-08-2004, 10:57 PM
Tony Pena, Eric Wedge, Bruce Kimm, Mike Scoscia and Joe Torre were catchers in their time. Pena and Wedge were also low hitting players, but I wouldn't call them successful.....yet.

MRKARNO
10-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Tony Pena, Eric Wedge, Bruce Kimm, Mike Scoscia and Joe Torre were catchers in their time. Pena and Wedge were also low hitting players, but I wouldn't call them successful.....yet.

I would say that a good amount of good managers werent good players at all. Tony La Russa was 35 for 176 on his career (.199) with no home runs.

1951Campbell
10-08-2004, 11:05 PM
who were they?

thanks
Actullay, the only MLB player I've met in person was...Ozzie Guillen.

He popped out of some random room in County Stadium as I was walking around the concourse under the stands. I said "nice to meet you Mr. Guillen, good luck tonight." And he shook my hand and said "thanks, kid."

Also, my dad took a good picture of Hank Aaron from the stands when he was with the Brewers, and had it blown up. He sent it to the Brewers' PR department with a nice letter asking him to sign it. And he did. "Best wishes, Hank Aaron."

Remember when ballplayers signed stuff for free and just to be nice? Pete Rose, are you listening?

1951Campbell
10-08-2004, 11:06 PM
I would say that a good amount of good managers werent good players at all. Tony La Russa was 35 for 176 on his career (.199) with no home runs.
Tony's got a law degree, too, if I'm not mistaken.

idseer
10-08-2004, 11:06 PM
in your great knowledge of baseball.
Name some Low hitting players that later went on to succesfull Managing careers?

Also name some great sox pitchers who never won 20 games?
lets keep it to after 1960.

who were they?

name some catchers who ended up managing?

thanks
1. al lopez and chuck tanner hit around .260

2. joe horlen, bob shaw, juan pizzaro, monty stratton

3. marvelous marv throneberry, andre dawson

4. lopez, berra ........ man there are a million catchers who managed.

Whitesox029
10-09-2004, 12:11 AM
Jerry Manuel actually only hit .150 in his career........why are you laughing?

Nellie_Fox
10-09-2004, 01:28 AM
I've never met players for other teams. When I was a kid, I played some street baseball with Sherm Lollar's kids. When Sherm came out onto the front porch to call them in for dinner, I was too awestruck to say a word.

Later in life, I worked out in the same gym with Lamar Johnson and Tony Bernazard. They both lived in Naperville and belonged to a Nautilus gym there. It was during the strike season of 1981, so they were working out on their own. They were both really friendly guys.

On a side note, I remembered that it was a strike year, and that's why I was working out with them, so I was researching what year that would have been, and I had forgotten that MLB did a first half/second half champion thing that year because of the strike. What a quirk.

TommyJohn
10-09-2004, 09:01 AM
In November, 1992 my sister and I took my brother to Harry Caray's for his
birthday. We ran right smack into a noisy reunion of the 1969 Cubs, minus
Ernie Banks, Billy Williams and Ron Santo. A player named Ken Rudolph noticed
us watching and came over to our table and talked to us. He was very friendly
and talked to us for a while. Randy Hundley was there too, and I was tempted
to ask him if Tommie Agee was really out. Ted Abernathy was so drunk he stumbled as he was talking to someone. I got Ferguson Jenkins' autograph
at the end of the night. He was cordial. He also towered over me by at
least a foot.

I also met Ernie Banks at Wrigley Field in September of 1985. I was working as
a vendor. I remember it because less than 10,000 people were in the stands
that day, and Banks and his people were sitting in the last few rows of the
lower deck because the upper part of the LD was literally empty and they
could watch the game undisturbed. I also got his autograph. He was a nice
guy.

I met Tommy John and got his autograph in June of 1983, when he played for
the Angels. We showed him pictures of him with our family in 1967, when he
was with the White Sox.

Lip Man 1
10-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Tommy John was an excellent pitcher who never won 20 games (with the Sox that is...)

and it's interesting to note that in remembering 1981, the original plan prompted both Tony LaRussa and Whitey Herzog to publicly state that they would throw a series to the first place team if that would enable their second place teams to claim a post season spot. After those pronouncements MLB quickly backtracked and 'adjusted' their split season format.

Lip

misty60481
10-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Connie Mack was a catcher and managed for 50 yrs.