PDA

View Full Version : Who would trade for Konerko?

benjamin
10-08-2004, 01:10 AM
There has been a lot of speculation regarding the possibility of trading Paul Konerko in the upcoming off-season, but little has been mentioned either here or in the newspapers as to who would potentially match up as a possible destination for big Paulie...

It's all well and good to say that you'd like to unload Paulie and his $8 mil salary in an attempt to better the ballclub, but it's an entirely other thing to find a team that not only is able to afford his salary, but that could use a good 1B/DH type player like Konerko.

I thought I'd take a stab at looking at the other 29 MLB teams and here's what I came up with: there really aren't a whole lot of teams out there that would be in a position to jump for a Konerko.

The teams that I loosely see as potentially needing a 1B or DH: Atlanta, Florida, Los Angeles, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Seattle, San Fran, and Toronto.

Of those 8 teams, you can almost immediately cross off 5, as Toronto and Seattle are in the process of rebuilding and will more than likely explore players from their respective farm systems, San Fran has a healthy platoon of JT Snow and Pedro Feliz set up for another year at almost half of Paulie's salary, Atlanta more than likely sees enough promise in Adam LaRoche to warrant giving him another look next season at a much cheaper price, and finally, LA brought in Choi as their 1B of the future and still have Shawn Green enough in the mix so as to not appear overly in need of a 1B.

So now that leaves the Marlins, Yankees, and Mets.

Starting with the Marlins: Jeff Conine appeared in the majority of their games at 1B following the trade of Choi to LA. The team has highly touted Jason Stokes on the horizon, but Stokes may not be quite ready to take over at teh start of '05. The Marlins certainly could do better than Conine, who has a $4.75 option for next season, but would it be worth it to them to spend that additional $2 mil to upgrade to Konerko? Especially when taking into account that Beckett is arbitration eligible and will be due for a raise and that the team will need every bit of that money in an attempt to bring back Pavano. To me, this seems a scenario in which if the Sox do deal with Florida, a salary swap would have to ensue. Which ignores the purpose of trading Konerko in the first place: gaining a prospect or two in addition to freeing $8 to use in bulking up the pitching staff while settling for Gload and his superior defense at 1B.

The Mets? A lot depends on Piazza, and a lot depends on how exactly new boss Omar Minaya decides to do things. Konerko would definitely be within their budget if they decide that they can keep Piazza at catcher for another season, however signs definitely point to that not necessarily being the case.

Finally, the Yankees? Giambi seems destined to being a DH if he is able to come back next season in any semblance of his previous self, of course, Bernie Williams and a host of others will also be vying for at-bats in the DH role. Especially if they go out and sign Carlos Beltran to play CF, which at this point would have to be about 50/50. Additionally, while they'd be able to take on the $8 mil without a problem, it's not as though they have a lot of prospects to return to the Sox in a trade. And again, trading Konerko for another player in the $4-8 million pay range really doesn't accomplish too much in terms of freeing room to make a run at a top-flight SP.

So that basically leaves the Marlins as the team that could most use Konerko's services, but with major questions as to whether they would see such a deal fitting into their budget.

Unless, of course, a darkhorse emerged, a la the Washington Expos, if, say, a new owner wanted to make a bit of a splash and was willing to bring in a guy like Konerko for a year to give the team a bit of a name to draw upon. In such a scenario, I wouldn't mind seeing Nick Johnson flipped to the South Side, though that statement might as well be in deep pink, as that trade would be a steal for the Sox.

Carlos Lee, on the other hand, I certainly think that a lot more teams would be able to add an OF of his caliber and price.

SoxxoS
10-08-2004, 01:35 AM
Good post...add the D'Backs to the list if they don't resign Sexson (which is about 50/50 right now on AZ radio)

pinwheels3530
10-08-2004, 03:13 AM
We need a closer so that would be my top priority. Is there one that is worth giving up Paulie!!!!

SEALgep
10-08-2004, 06:35 AM
There is some speculation that Florida may put Pierre on the block since they have a stud minor league replacement with supposedly even better tools. Along with that speculation, there is speculation that a trade could occur consisting of Pierre for Lee, or some variation of that. Just throwing it out there.

hold2dibber
10-08-2004, 07:23 AM
What about Baltimore? Palmeiro is on the way out the door, they have plenty of $ and Konerko would put up huge numbers in that park. I think Segui's contract is up, too. Do they have a 1B in the wings?

Iguana775
10-08-2004, 07:26 AM
We need a closer so that would be my top priority. Is there one that is worth giving up Paulie!!!!I think NY has a guy named Mariano something. they should trade Paulie for him. :cool:

Jjav829
10-08-2004, 07:52 AM
Well Florida is considering moving Cabrera to 1B. They worked him at 1B a few times throughout the year and the speculation has been that he would work at 1B full time over the offseason and ST and possibly become their 1B next year. I think the Orioles are a good situation. They'd take on the money and they are always looking to bring aboard big bats. As for New York, Bernie Williams has said that if the Yankees bring Carlos Beltran aboard for center, he would move to 1B.

Malgar 12
10-08-2004, 08:08 AM
We need a closer so that would be my top priority. Is there one that is worth giving up Paulie!!!!A closer should be the least of our priorities. You never trade any everyday player for a relief pitcher. How about a major league secondbaseman or shortstop? How about a lead-off hittter? How about a #1 starter, or for that matter any quality starter? How about a catcher that can hit above the mendoza line? How about a RF that isn't named Borchard or Everett? How can anyone say after seeing all of our fielding, one-dimensional hitting, and baserunning woes, that closer is the top priority? You've got to be good before having a closer even matters, not to mention Shingo had a good year. What did he have, one blown save?

ChiSoxBobette
10-08-2004, 08:16 AM
There has been a lot of speculation regarding the possibility of trading Paul Konerko in the upcoming off-season, but little has been mentioned either here or in the newspapers as to who would potentially match up as a possible destination for big Paulie...

It's all well and good to say that you'd like to unload Paulie and his $8 mil salary in an attempt to better the ballclub, but it's an entirely other thing to find a team that not only is able to afford his salary, but that could use a good 1B/DH type player like Konerko.

I thought I'd take a stab at looking at the other 29 MLB teams and here's what I came up with: there really aren't a whole lot of teams out there that would be in a position to jump for a Konerko.

The teams that I loosely see as potentially needing a 1B or DH: Atlanta, Florida, Los Angeles, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Seattle, San Fran, and Toronto.

Of those 8 teams, you can almost immediately cross off 5, as Toronto and Seattle are in the process of rebuilding and will more than likely explore players from their respective farm systems, San Fran has a healthy platoon of JT Snow and Pedro Feliz set up for another year at almost half of Paulie's salary, Atlanta more than likely sees enough promise in Adam LaRoche to warrant giving him another look next season at a much cheaper price, and finally, LA brought in Choi as their 1B of the future and still have Shawn Green enough in the mix so as to not appear overly in need of a 1B.

So now that leaves the Marlins, Yankees, and Mets.

Starting with the Marlins: Jeff Conine appeared in the majority of their games at 1B following the trade of Choi to LA. The team has highly touted Jason Stokes on the horizon, but Stokes may not be quite ready to take over at teh start of '05. The Marlins certainly could do better than Conine, who has a $4.75 option for next season, but would it be worth it to them to spend that additional $2 mil to upgrade to Konerko? Especially when taking into account that Beckett is arbitration eligible and will be due for a raise and that the team will need every bit of that money in an attempt to bring back Pavano. To me, this seems a scenario in which if the Sox do deal with Florida, a salary swap would have to ensue. Which ignores the purpose of trading Konerko in the first place: gaining a prospect or two in addition to freeing $8 to use in bulking up the pitching staff while settling for Gload and his superior defense at 1B.

The Mets? A lot depends on Piazza, and a lot depends on how exactly new boss Omar Minaya decides to do things. Konerko would definitely be within their budget if they decide that they can keep Piazza at catcher for another season, however signs definitely point to that not necessarily being the case.

Finally, the Yankees? Giambi seems destined to being a DH if he is able to come back next season in any semblance of his previous self, of course, Bernie Williams and a host of others will also be vying for at-bats in the DH role. Especially if they go out and sign Carlos Beltran to play CF, which at this point would have to be about 50/50. Additionally, while they'd be able to take on the $8 mil without a problem, it's not as though they have a lot of prospects to return to the Sox in a trade. And again, trading Konerko for another player in the $4-8 million pay range really doesn't accomplish too much in terms of freeing room to make a run at a top-flight SP.

So that basically leaves the Marlins as the team that could most use Konerko's services, but with major questions as to whether they would see such a deal fitting into their budget.

Unless, of course, a darkhorse emerged, a la the Washington Expos, if, say, a new owner wanted to make a bit of a splash and was willing to bring in a guy like Konerko for a year to give the team a bit of a name to draw upon. In such a scenario, I wouldn't mind seeing Nick Johnson flipped to the South Side, though that statement might as well be in deep pink, as that trade would be a steal for the Sox.

Carlos Lee, on the other hand, I certainly think that a lot more teams would be able to add an OF of his caliber and price.
It just amazes me as to how many White Sox fans want to trade Pauly. heres a guy who hit .270/.280 with 41 Hr's and almost 120 RBI's and we wnat to get rid of him can someone explain why? He plays a very good 1st base never causes trouble on the team but some of us want him gone. Do you people relize that if Frank & Maggs were in that lineup this year pauly numbers could have been incredible. But we want to trade him. C. Lee is another example heres a guy who should win a gold glove for playing leftfield this year but all I hear is that you have to give that to more credible LF's what a bunch of bullsnot. But we want to trade him to our fans have got to be the most insane people on the planet we go crazy about a minor league outfielder who has'nt played an inning in the majors that we trade for Freddy garcia but 2 proven 30 hr 100 RBI guys we want to trade INSANE!

misty60481
10-08-2004, 08:22 AM
Dont you think we better wait to see what happens with Maggs & Frank before we ship out our No. 1 run producer also how can we replace his numbers?? We are not going to get a stud pitcher for him and with our staff we need all the power we can get...

idseer
10-08-2004, 09:13 AM
It just amazes me as to how many White Sox fans want to trade Pauly. heres a guy who hit .270/.280 with 41 Hr's and almost 120 RBI's and we wnat to get rid of him can someone explain why? He plays a very good 1st base never causes trouble on the team but some of us want him gone. Do you people relize that if Frank & Maggs were in that lineup this year pauly numbers could have been incredible. But we want to trade him. C. Lee is another example heres a guy who should win a gold glove for playing leftfield this year but all I hear is that you have to give that to more credible LF's what a bunch of bullsnot. But we want to trade him to our fans have got to be the most insane people on the planet we go crazy about a minor league outfielder who has'nt played an inning in the majors that we trade for Freddy garcia but 2 proven 30 hr 100 RBI guys we want to trade INSANE!
i'm with you. but i also think no one is untouchable. IF they can in fact bring in some people who have PROVEN themselves and repair one or 2 critically weak spots then i would agree to such a deal.

Jjav829
10-08-2004, 09:29 AM
This has been stated before, but again, it's not that most people want to trade Konerko or Lee. It's that we need to trade one of them. Sure, ideally we'd like to keep Konerko and Lee, along with Frank in the middle of the lineup. That would give us a very good 3-4-5 that matches up with some of the better 3-4-5's in baseball, save maybe the Cardinals who clearly have the best heart of the lineup right now. It would be nice to keep those three together and then go fill some of the other holes we have on offense and pitching. But realistically, that's not gonna happen. So if we could trade Konerko/Lee for a pitcher or a position player at a position we are in need of, plus free up some money to pursue another pitcher/position player, it would really help. Just hypothetically, let's say the Orioles would take Konerko and give us Hairston and a reliever like Grimsley, or maybe Jorge Julio, and a 3rd player. We'd fill our need for a leadoff hitter and 2B with Hairston. Julio/Grimsley would give us another decent arm in the pen, and whoever the 3rd player is (possibly another pitcher) could even fill another hole. That trade would also clear some salary (about $4-5 million) that we could put toward a starting pitcher. Let's say the money we clear from Konerko, plus a little extra added in with payroll increases, we can sign Pavano. Now we've managed to trade Konerko for Pavano, Hairston, Grimsley/Julio, and another player. Again, that is all hypothetical to try to prove my point. I don't know who the exact names would be, but the point renames that by trading Konerko or Lee, we might be able to fill 3-4 holes.

jshanahanjr
10-08-2004, 09:30 AM
The Sox can't trade Paulie with the status of Big Frank unknown. They need to add via free agency, not by trading one of two remaining RBI guys.

kittle42
10-08-2004, 09:32 AM
How about a RF that isn't named Borchard or Everett?
Crazy Carl says the starting job is his.

SSN721
10-08-2004, 09:43 AM
Its a shame that we have to trade Paulie, he is one of my favorites. but as I know has been stated many many times, his home/away splits definitely show the disavantage of him moving to another park for his home games. I gotta think that other teams are going to look at that and it will downgrade his value. I dont want to trade either Konerko or Lee as I think both of them always look good in the middle of the lineup, they are still part of the core we should build around. Lee has more value of course but I would rather trade Konerko, although I dont think we will get fabulous value for him. SO it is somewhat of a quandry. I do like the idea of him to Baltimore for Hairston and Grimsly/Julio, or to FLA for Pierre. I am just wary of an entire year of Gload as I think he is not proven as an everyday starter and I am not sure I want to find out. :?:

infohawk
10-08-2004, 09:44 AM
I haven't put a great deal of thought into it, but I would agree that Baltimore is a potential trading partner since they appear to be in need of a first baseman. I don't have any idea what kind of package would be available, but I think it would start with either Hairston, Jr/Brian Roberts. The Sox could also consider Jorge Julio to close/set-up games, although his numbers don't appear quite as good as some of the hype I have heard about him. He may just be another relief pitcher who fits the category of "throws really hard, nasty stuff with a lot of potential to dominate hitters if only his control would improve."

A trade of Konerko would really depend on what the Sox are looking to get in return. If they want a pitcher, they probably wouldn't want to trade with a team like Baltimore. If they want position players, they might consider Baltimore, among other teams. Its fun to speculate, though!

mweflen
10-08-2004, 09:52 AM
The only pitcher worth trading someone as productive as Paulie for is a top-flight starter who can be counted on for 18 wins at least - seeing as how the sacrifice in offense would probably mean 10 or more games not won with offense.

With Maggs potentially out until 2006 (and a Free Agent to boot) and Frank a big question mark, the idea of trading Paulie for someone is ridiculous.

But if a gun were up to my head... Alfonso Soriano. He would replace Paul's production and fill our gaping, universe-sucking black hole situation at second.

Tekijawa
10-08-2004, 09:54 AM
Its fun to speculate, though!
Konerko for Randy Johnson... you heard it hear first... Diamond backs need a first baseman and to cut payroll. Losing a Stud 41 year old pitcher in the last year of his contract would be worth the 8 million they'd save.

Mickster
10-08-2004, 10:02 AM
Realistically, if the Sox are going to trade Carlos or Paulie, Carlos will be a goner. Recently, Paulie was quoted as saying (and I am paraphrasing here) that he would like to finish his career in Chicago and that he'd be willing to work on his contract to make it more beneficial for the Sox.

If that is the case and Paulie would be willing to restructure his contract along with an extension and some deferred money, he's a keeper in my book....

Carlos is younger, "healthier", has some speed, has a smaller contract (albeit not by much) and is certainly a better trade bait.

Flight #24
10-08-2004, 10:14 AM
Realistically, if the Sox are going to trade Carlos or Paulie, Carlos will be a goner. Recently, Paulie was quoted as saying (and I am paraphrasing here) that he would like to finish his career in Chicago and that he'd be willing to work on his contract to make it more beneficial for the Sox.

If that is the case and Paulie would be willing to restructure his contract along with an extension and some deferred money, he's a keeper in my book....

Carlos is younger, "healthier", has some speed, has a smaller contract (albeit not by much) and is certainly a better trade bait.
You think Darth Fehr & his gang are going to allow anything like that? ARod couldnt' do it, why would they let Paulie? Unless it adds to the overall value of his deal, there's little chance of a restructuring like that happening. IIRC, you usually see that when there's a team option on the last year (ala Politte), but that's different since the alternate option for the team is to just release the guy.

Mickster
10-08-2004, 10:23 AM
You think Darth Fehr & his gang are going to allow anything like that? ARod couldnt' do it, why would they let Paulie? Unless it adds to the overall value of his deal, there's little chance of a restructuring like that happening. IIRC, you usually see that when there's a team option on the last year (ala Politte), but that's different since the alternate option for the team is to just release the guy.
Precisely why I said:

"If that is the case and Paulie would be willing to restructure his contract along with an extension and some deferred money..."

Meaning the yearly cost of the contract extension could drop to somewhere near $5-6m/yr...

Flight #24
10-08-2004, 10:29 AM
Precisely why I said:

"If that is the case and Paulie would be willing to restructure his contract along with an extension and some deferred money..."

Meaning the yearly cost of the contract extension could drop to somewhere near $5-6m/yr...
Right, my point is that why would Paulie sign a reasonably priced extension AND reduce his current salary when he could take his $8mil, and likely still get the $6mil or so in FA? Or more accurately - why would Fehr allow that when his primary goal is to make sure that everyone takes the biggest contract available to keep driving up $$$ for all other players? I could see it if the Sox gave Paulie the same or more than he'd get on the market in exchange for deferring some of '05 $$$.

I just don't see it happening. Unless Paulie's willing to buck the system, which does happen occasionally (Pettite, McGwire) but is pretty rare. Usually the "influence' from the MLBPA results in the player taking the route of greatest $$$.

Mickster
10-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Right, my point is that why would Paulie sign a reasonably priced extension AND reduce his current salary when he could take his $8mil, and likely still get the $6mil or so in FA? Or more accurately - why would Fehr allow that when his primary goal is to make sure that everyone takes the biggest contract available to keep driving up $$$ for all other players? I could see it if the Sox gave Paulie the same or more than he'd get on the market in exchange for deferring some of '05 $$$.

I just don't see it happening. Unless Paulie's willing to buck the system, which does happen occasionally (Pettite, McGwire) but is pretty rare. Usually the "influence' from the MLBPA results in the player taking the route of greatest $$$.
I don't doubt it. I just found his comments interesting. Why would paulie go out of his way to say that? He know's full well that he's a primary candidate to be traded. What benefit would he get to state that he'd be willing to rork on his contract to benefit both him and the Sox?

faneidde
10-08-2004, 10:39 AM
This has been stated before, but again, it's not that most people want to trade Konerko or Lee. It's that we need to trade one of them. Sure, ideally we'd like to keep Konerko and Lee, along with Frank in the middle of the lineup. I agree for the most part, but there a few very vocal people here who just want Konerko gone and couldn't care less if we get a baseball for him. That has not been the setiment of this thread, thankfully.

Flight #24
10-08-2004, 10:44 AM
I don't doubt it. I just found his comments interesting. Why would paulie go out of his way to say that? He know's full well that he's a primary candidate to be traded. What benefit would he get to state that he'd be willing to rork on his contract to benefit both him and the Sox?
True. Maybe he's just trying to make it as hard on the team to trade him as possible by being as 'good" a guy to the fans as he can.

benjamin
10-08-2004, 10:46 AM
I find a few things humorous about the direction of this post since I originally brought it up…

1) Where in my first post did I ever even come close to saying: “We need to trade Konerko” ????? :dunno:

If anything, it should have shown exactly how difficult of a task it would be for Kenny Williams to trade Konerko in the first place. You can’t just throw your arms up and say, “We trade Konerko!” You actually have to find a match willing to take the guy in the first place.

2) Further, for those who say that they’d “feel bad for Paulie” if he were to be traded to another team because his home/road splits indicate he wouldn’t be nearly as valuable as he is with us… Wake Up!

Are you listening to what you are saying?? Yes he hit 41 long balls, drove in well over 100 RBI, but did it ever occur to anyone that Paulie’s numbers are INFLATED by the Cell??? Or that further, it's possible to say that he was hurting us on the road (.239 BA, 12 HR, 47 RBI in 77 games)???

Before crucifying me for such thoughts... Say, for example, there’s a player out there who hit better on the road than Konerko, but plays in a tough pitchers park like Detroit, or Seattle, or San Diego, and hit poorly at his home park when compared to Konerko's home numbers…

Don’t you think that if that player had the opportunity to play half his games in the Cell that he would have much better overall statistics than he would have had in San Diego/Detroit/Seattle??

But again, the entire point of the original post was to show that trading Paulie is no given in the first place. There may be about 4 teams, max, that would be willing to take him in a trade to begin with. Just temper your thoughts as to exactly how valuable he really is.

Justafan
10-08-2004, 11:21 AM
If the Sox trade Konerko, they had better get gold on top of gold in return. It's silly to even think about moving him.

benjamin
10-08-2004, 11:26 AM
If the Sox trade Konerko, they had better get gold on top of gold in return. It's silly to even think about moving him.
Why is it silly?

Does Paulie boost attendance? Sure didn't look that way in September.

Winning boosts attendance, and if they can win more without him, then let him go.

Justafan
10-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Why is it silly?

Does Paulie boost attendance? Sure didn't look that way in September.

Winning boosts attendance, and if they can win more without him, then let him go.
Like I said, if they get gold for him, fine. I don't care that he does not boost attendance, that is not his job. His job is to perform, which he does.

benjamin
10-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Like I said, if they get gold for him, fine. I don't care that he does not boost attendance, that is not his job. His job is to perform, which he does.
A .239 batting average and 12 homers in 77 road games is performing?

JoseCanseco6969
10-08-2004, 11:41 AM
I agree with you and am not in this WSI majority that feels we need and have to trade paulie. I guess most people are scared for a 2003 season and think this year is a fluke or something so we better sell high. I dont think it'd be a good idea, but hey I'm in the minority.

soxtalker
10-08-2004, 11:57 AM
I find a few things humorous about the direction of this post since I originally brought it up…

1) Where in my first post did I ever even come close to saying: “We need to trade Konerko” ????? :dunno:

If anything, it should have shown exactly how difficult of a task it would be for Kenny Williams to trade Konerko in the first place. You can’t just throw your arms up and say, “We trade Konerko!” You actually have to find a match willing to take the guy in the first place.

2) Further, for those who say that they’d “feel bad for Paulie” if he were to be traded to another team because his home/road splits indicate he wouldn’t be nearly as valuable as he is with us… Wake Up!

Are you listening to what you are saying?? Yes he hit 41 long balls, drove in well over 100 RBI, but did it ever occur to anyone that Paulie’s numbers are INFLATED by the Cell??? Or that further, it's possible to say that he was hurting us on the road (.239 BA, 12 HR, 47 RBI in 77 games)???

Before crucifying me for such thoughts... Say, for example, there’s a player out there who hit better on the road than Konerko, but plays in a tough pitchers park like Detroit, or Seattle, or San Diego, and hit poorly at his home park when compared to Konerko's home numbers…

Don’t you think that if that player had the opportunity to play half his games in the Cell that he would have much better overall statistics than he would have had in San Diego/Detroit/Seattle??

But again, the entire point of the original post was to show that trading Paulie is no given in the first place. There may be about 4 teams, max, that would be willing to take him in a trade to begin with. Just temper your thoughts as to exactly how valuable he really is.

I think that your original post was an excellent topic, and I wish that we could have stayed on that topic and not let it switch to a debate of whether Paulie should be traded. (That is a worthwhile question, but there have been several theads on that and related topics.) It is very valuable to take a look at trading our players from other teams' perspectives. Quite frankly, it would be good to examine this question for several other players. That doesn't mean that we want to trade them, but it gives us a better idea of what the market value is and who KW might be talking to. It's exactly the kind of discussion that can tide us over the long winter months.

GAsoxfan
10-08-2004, 12:36 PM
My first post at wsi. Here it goes. While I don't think the Sox HAVE to trade Konerko, I think they would be foolish to not at least shop him around. His value is high, and if KW could improve the team by trading him, I'd be all for it.

The SF Chronicle has been reporting that the A's are looking for a right-handed middle-of-the-order bat to protect Chavez. Hatteberg played 1B for them this year, and he really ran out of gas at the end of the year. If KW could get Mulder or Zito in return for Konerko, I'd make that trade. Out of the two I would prefer Mulder, b/c he's more of a groundball pitcher than Zito, but his trouble at the end of this year worries me. If the Sox were convinced whatever problem he had was fixed, then I would take him, otherwise I'd go with Zito. The White Sox would also have to take back someone else to match salaries and probably throw in a prospect. Maybe Arthur Rhodes who Beane is looking to get rid of. If it meant getting Zito/Mulder, I'd gladly pay Rhodes $6M over the next two years.

A rotation of:
Zito/Mulder
Garcia
Buehrle
Contreras
Garland

would be one of the best in the league.

It wouldn't save any payroll, but it would fix the rotation, and leave the remaining money to fix the bullpen and everyday positions.

Now all KW needs to do is convince Beane to do the trade.

soxtalker
10-08-2004, 12:40 PM
My first post at wsi. Here it goes. While I don't think the Sox HAVE to trade Konerko, I think they would be foolish to not at least shop him around. His value is high, and if KW could improve the team by trading him, I'd be all for it.

The SF Chronicle has been reporting that the A's are looking for a right-handed middle-of-the-order bat to protect Chavez. Hatteberg played 1B for them this year, and he really ran out of gas at the end of the year. If KW could get Mulder or Zito in return for Konerko, I'd make that trade. Out of the two I would prefer Mulder, b/c he's more of a groundball pitcher than Zito, but his trouble at the end of this year worries me. If the Sox were convinced whatever problem he had was fixed, then I would take him, otherwise I'd go with Zito. The White Sox would also have to take back someone else to match salaries. Maybe Arthur Rhodes who Beane is looking to get rid of. If it meant getting Zito/Mulder, I'd gladly pay Rhodes $6M over the next two years.

A rotation of:
Zito/Mulder
Garcia
Buehrle
Contreras
Garland

It wouldn't save any payroll, but it would fix the rotation, and leave the remaining money to fix the bullpen and everyday positions.

Now all KW needs to do is convince Beane to do the trade.

How does Konerko rate in the stats that Beane cares about -- things like OBP and AB/walk ratio? His lack of speed probably isn't a big deal, since Beane isn't crazy about stolen bases.

Jjav829
10-08-2004, 12:44 PM

The SF Chronicle has been reporting that the A's are looking for a right-handed middle-of-the-order bat to protect Chavez. Hatteberg played 1B for them this year, and he really ran out of gas at the end of the year. If KW could get Mulder or Zito in return for Konerko, I'd make that trade. Out of the two I would prefer Mulder, b/c he's more of a groundball pitcher than Zito, but his trouble at the end of this year worries me. If the Sox were convinced whatever problem he had was fixed, then I would take him, otherwise I'd go with Zito. The White Sox would also have to take back someone else to match salaries. Maybe Arthur Rhodes who Beane is looking to get rid of. If it meant getting Zito/Mulder, I'd gladly pay Rhodes $6M over the next two years.

A rotation of:
Zito/Mulder
Garcia
Buehrle
Contreras
Garland

Now all KW needs to do is convince Beane to do the trade.Hey, Welcome Aboard! :D:

I'd love to bring Mulder aboard if Beane would actually consider trading him. I guess it's not completely out of the question. Hudson is the one Beane wants to sign long term first. He likely won't be able to move Redman easily. Add in Harden and Blanton - assuming he is ready next year. That leaves a choice between keeping Zito or Mulder long term. I suppose it's possible one of the two can be pried away, though I'm guessing Beane would rather trade Zito.

GAsoxfan
10-08-2004, 01:02 PM
How does Konerko rate in the stats that Beane cares about -- things like OBP and AB/walk ratio? His lack of speed probably isn't a big deal, since Beane isn't crazy about stolen bases.
Konerko has an OBP of .359, 7th among AL 1B behind Gload (#1 at .375), Delgado, Broussard, Teixeira, Hatteberg, and Tino Martinez.

Konerko's OBP and AB/walk ratio are similar to Hatteberg's. .359 OBP/ 8.159 AB/walk for Konerko to .367 OBP/ 7.639 AB/walk for Hatteberg. Konerko packs alot more power (41 HR to 15 and a 115 point higher SLG %) and would provide protection for Chavez, one of Beane's goals this off-season.

soxcardsfan6
10-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Guys come on we are not getting zito or mulder from oakland. Mulder is already one of the most elite pitchers in the league. the one possiblity of trading konerko is to florida. In exchange we should get Mota or Benitez. Remember the marlins traded Choi and are need of a first basemen. Right now they have conine and a lot of bullpen needs for us. As long as Koch doesnt come back i will be happy with a trade like this. move lee over to first. :smile: :D:

Mickster
10-08-2004, 03:15 PM
Guys come on we are not getting zito or mulder from oakland. Mulder is already one of the most elite pitchers in the league. the one possiblity of trading konerko is to florida. In exchange we should get Mota or Benitez. Remember the marlins traded Choi and are need of a first basemen. Right now they have conine and a lot of bullpen needs for us. As long as Koch doesnt come back i will be happy with a trade like this. move lee over to first. :smile: :D: OK!

Flight #24
10-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Guys come on we are not getting zito or mulder from oakland. Mulder is already one of the most elite pitchers in the league. the one possiblity of trading konerko is to florida. In exchange we should get Mota or Benitez. Remember the marlins traded Choi and are need of a first basemen. Right now they have conine and a lot of bullpen needs for us. As long as Koch doesnt come back i will be happy with a trade like this. move lee over to first. :smile: :D:
1) Ouch.

2) Welcome aboard!:D:

3) Marlins plan on moving Cabrera to 1B long term, and there are some rumors that they want to cut payroll. So I doubt they have a real interest in Koney. However, if you can swing a Koney for Pierre deal, go for it ASAP.

Pea-Pod
10-08-2004, 08:15 PM
1) Ouch.

2) Welcome aboard!:D:

3) Marlins plan on moving Cabrera to 1B long term, and there are some rumors that they want to cut payroll. So I doubt they have a real interest in Koney. However, if you can swing a Koney for Pierre deal, go for it ASAP.

C'mon, we dont need pierre or a new lead-off hitter. Cuz pea-pod will get the job done!!!!

santo=dorf
10-08-2004, 08:23 PM
And Benitez is a FA, so Mota will be their closer.

Pea-Pod
10-08-2004, 08:27 PM
seriously though, pierre would be huge in the line up in front of our big guys.

BA: .326
OBP: .374
SB: 45

batmanZoSo
10-08-2004, 08:32 PM
There is some speculation that Florida may put Pierre on the block since they have a stud minor league replacement with supposedly even better tools. Along with that speculation, there is speculation that a trade could occur consisting of Pierre for Lee, or some variation of that. Just throwing it out there.

Pierre would do wonders for this club. Maybe you trade Lee and keep Konerko because you gotta keep one of them. Our outfield would be pretty damn good with Rowand in left or right and Pierre in center. But I'd rather not trade Lee.

Ideally, you trade for Pierre and trade Konerko away in a separate trade because I don't see the Marlins taking an 8 million dollar guy. Then our outfield would be Lee, Pierre, Rowand. Can Everett play first? :cool:

Whitesox029
10-08-2004, 11:49 PM
We need a closer so that would be my top priority. Is there one that is worth giving up Paulie!!!!Smol......Hoffm......Isring.....No. There isn't. Period.